HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Photography Forums > My City Photos

Old Posted Jan 20, 2007, 2:44 AM

What a vibrant-looking downtown. Is there any Lynn Johnston connection? I noticed "Gulliver's Books and Toys," and, as I recall, Elly's shop in the "For Better or Worse" comic strip is Lilliput's books and toys.

Old Posted Jan 20, 2007, 3:44 AM

^^^North Bay is very French-Canadian .. so is most of Northern Ontario...

Nice town, reminds me a lot of uptown Waterloo too..
great pics

Old Posted Jan 20, 2007, 5:23 AM
Aimless Wanderer

Quote:
Originally Posted by urban surfin View Post
What a vibrant-looking downtown. Is there any Lynn Johnston connection? I noticed "Gulliver's Books and Toys," and, as I recall, Elly's shop in the "For Better or Worse" comic strip is Lilliput's books and toys.
Well yes actually... Lynn Johnston lives here! Well, she lives just outside the City limits in East Ferris Township. Gulliver's was the inspiration for Lilliput's. There have been many other references to NB mentioned in the strip (although you'd have to live here to "get" them), and you might recall that the Elizabeth character actually lived in North Bay for 4 years and attended Nipissing University.

As far as the whole French thing goes, North Bay itself is largely Anglo, even most Francophone people who grew up in the City are so totally bilingual that when they speak English (which is almost always) they have no hint of a French accent - they make up something like 14% of the population. Now there are several smaller communities surrounding the City that are largely Francophone and by that I mean not only do they speak French in the home, but also most of the time when they come into North Bay either to work, or to do their banking and shopping and whatnot.

Bye the way... that was a good one Canuck! har har

Last edited by softee; Jan 20, 2007 at 7:59 AM.

End

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Photography Forums > My City Photos