HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Photography Forums > My City Photos

Old Posted May 15, 2017, 2:22 AM

Montevideo: Salvo Palace

Departament: Montevideo
City: Montevideo
Place: Salvo Palace

The Salvo Palace is the twin building of the architect Mario Palanti in Uruguay, who designed two big entrances to the Río de la Plata through this building and the Barolo Palace in Buenos Aires. Both are the direct demonstration of the ambitious culture and progress of the nations at this part of the world. At the same time, the comparison between these two shows us, as a result, how they complement themselves: while the Barolo Palace has a wider range of details on its facades and interiors (surely because of the opulence of the Buenos Aires of that era), the Barolo Palace is more imposing due to its size and its location on a corner, just in front of the most relevant square of Uruguay. The legend says that two lighthouses were originally planned on the top of both buildings to connect each other through light upon the river. However, this romantic legend falls apart when you take a look at the 300 km. who separate Buenos Aires and Montevideo.

Old Posted May 15, 2017, 2:23 AM

Old Posted May 15, 2017, 2:23 AM

^^

In HD:

Video Link

Old Posted May 19, 2017, 2:26 AM

Montevideo: Antel Tower

Place: Antel Tower

The city of Montevideo has what it probably is the most beatiful tower of Latin America: the Antel Tower (or “Torre de Telecomunicaciones”), designed by the famous architect Carlos Ott. It’s part of a masterplan that was never finished. Still, the complex has the main tower of 35 floors (more than 150 meters-high), a park and 3 lowrises who have the same futurist style (often used on the other work of Carlos Ott) of the main tower.

Old Posted May 19, 2017, 2:27 AM

Old Posted May 19, 2017, 2:28 AM

Old Posted May 19, 2017, 2:28 AM

^^

In HD:

Video Link

Old Posted May 19, 2017, 3:53 AM

As expected, Montevideo delivers the signs of a fair economy like pictures of Buenos Aires and Santiago do these days. Sure it's smaller, but then Uruguay is just more humble in size.

Interesting. Hopefully my country works on more intensive partnerships with these 3 (Argentina, Chile and this). It would be a bit of fresh air and fun to us, like some cool change from North America.
For example, I know some French automakers sell their cars over there, but there's really a lot more to do than just selling cars nowadays.

Old Posted May 24, 2017, 4:32 AM

France always had a very strong presence in Argentina, fortunately. That may explain the succesful results of the prevailing argentinian culture, who was forged mostly when it became a nation of law, receiving then huge waves of italian and spanish hard-working immigrants. They brought the will of construction and then became what I believe is the purpose of the french influence in the human kind, which is the creation and contemplation of beauty, aswell as the search for the liberation of the spirit. You may clearly see it on the history of art in Argentina and specially in the architecture. So it's interesting to watch how it sort of also became a competition between capitals on both sides of the Río de la Plata. That's why Uruguay looks pretty similar to the argentinian towns and cities. Buenos Aires is known (though it might be an exaggeration) as the Paris of South America and Montevideo the capital of the Art Nouveau outside of France. About the economic parternship, I believe that France is one of the most relevant countries for Argentina after Spain, Brazil and the US.

Old Posted May 24, 2017, 4:34 AM

Montevideo: Mercado Agrícola

Place: Mercado Agrícola

Built at the beginning of the 20th Century, the Mercado Agrícola (that could be translated as the “Agricultural Market”) is one of the main esential points of the tourist map of Montevideo. The zone where it’s placed was once a neighborhood of industries and factories, most of them reconverted nowadays into residences or office buildings. The Mercado Agrícola stands for its rich details on its facade but, also, for the utilization of the iron, for both the structure and several sectors of the building, a material that it usually wasn’t used at this part of the planet.

Old Posted May 24, 2017, 4:35 AM

Old Posted May 24, 2017, 4:36 AM

^^

In HD:

Video Link

Old Posted May 24, 2017, 9:59 PM
Registered Ugly

Uruguay looks awesome. My mind is blown by some of these South American cities, which I'm happy about. Just goes to show I need to educate myself more (which is why I am here). Thanks for sharing!

Old Posted May 25, 2017, 2:13 PM
cle/west village/shaolin

i going to leave a very cool article about the montevideo dj music scene right here -- check it out!

https://www.residentadvisor.net/features/2963

Old Posted May 25, 2017, 11:50 PM
Reach for the Clouds

Very enjoyable thread. I have always thought Uruguay an interesting country.

Old Posted May 26, 2017, 1:25 AM

Thank you! Glad you liked it

Old Posted May 26, 2017, 1:27 AM

Montevideo: Pocitos & Punta Carretas

Place: Pocitos & Punta Carretas

It’s interesting to take a look at Montevideo from its variety of sceneries. The contrast between the grey old buildings of the Ciudad Vieja and the colours, the palm trees and the beaches of the neighborhoods of Pocitos, Punta Carretas and Buceo is delicious. From this point of view, Montevideo was quite inteligent on how it was connected to the coast. On an attractive mix between the cities of Brazil and the cities of the very-south of South America (specially Buenos Aires), these 3 neighborhoods also have the most exclusive residences of the cities outside the Prado neighborhood. And in Buceo also lies the World Trade Center Montevideo, a huge development of modern towers and hotels who serve as the main corporate connection to the whole world.

Old Posted May 26, 2017, 1:28 AM

Old Posted May 26, 2017, 1:29 AM

Old Posted May 26, 2017, 1:30 AM

^^

In HD:

Video Link

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Photography Forums > My City Photos