HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario > Ottawa-Gatineau > Downtown & City of Ottawa

Old Posted Oct 27, 2016, 1:37 AM
Planet Ottawa and beyond

117 Rideau St [Scotiabank]| 16.8 m | 2 fl | Complete

The two-storey, 1020-square-metre building proposed for this site will combine a transit station and a Scotiabank branch facility. The transit station utilizes an approximately 145-square-metre corner location on the main, street level and provides access to the vertical connections to the below-grade transit running way with, two elevators, escalators and stairs (Figure 15). The Scotiabank portion occupies the remaining 363-square-metre ground floor area, with an entrance on William Street and Rideau and the entire 513-square-metre second floor (Figure 16).

Design Objectives

The new bank facility will commence construction in April 2017. It is important however to establish the principles by which the design will be developed in the future to ensure that the Station Headhouse design will be compatible with BNS’s corporate objectives of brand identification, accessibility, transparency, and to part of, and respectful of the community in which it is located. The design principles which will guide the design of the BNS and which are to be used to finalize the design of the Station Headhouse are as follows:
  • The Station Headhouse and the new Bank building are to be viewed as a single unified composition.
  • The Station Headhouse is to be as transparent as possible to permit views through and from the Station Headhouse into the Bank premises.
  • The elevation of the ground floor to the Station is to be set such that barrier free access into the Bank premises can be accommodated from William Street, Rideau Street and the station itself.
  • The design of the ground floor slab and the station below it will accommodate the escalator, elevator pits, structural loading requirements, and servicing requirements of the BNS (sanitary, water, storm, hydro, gas, voice and data), with the understanding that access to these services will be from the BNS premises.
  • The roof slab of the Station Headhouse forms and will be integrated with the second floor of the BNS building.
  • The design of the building is respectful of the community context, but reflective of the time in which the facilities are being designed and constructed.
  • The design and construction of the Station will ensure that the activities of the station, noise vibration, and air movement do not impact the operation of the BNS, as previously agreed to by both parties.

Development application:
http://app01.ottawa.ca/postingplans/...appId=__0APUBU

Streetview:
https://www.google.ca/maps/@45.42644...7i13312!8i6656

Rendering:

Plans:

Old Posted Oct 27, 2016, 3:56 AM
Busy Beaver

Strange. From the plan I can see one escalator (going up?) inside the bank, but all the stairs seem to lead to an exterior door/vestibule.

Old Posted Oct 27, 2016, 9:58 AM

Given that this is above a subway station and right next to a 20 story building why would they not add at least a few more floors or residential above the podium?

Old Posted Oct 27, 2016, 3:06 PM
Busy Beaver

Quote:
Originally Posted by YOWetal View Post
Given that this is above a subway station and right next to a 20 story building why would they not add at least a few more floors or residential above the podium?
I doubt it's zoned for it, plus there isn't room for a lobby, elevator shafts or fire escape stairs securely separate from the bank. There would barely be space left in the floor plate for 2 or 3 small apartments which is not worth it, along with no loading bay or parking if it were commercial space.

Old Posted Oct 27, 2016, 3:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kitchissippi View Post
Strange. From the plan I can see one escalator (going up?) inside the bank, but all the stairs seem to lead to an exterior door/vestibule.
when the Bank is done with you, they're DONE.

Old Posted Nov 4, 2016, 3:48 PM

I wouldn't go more that three floors on that site to match the Highlander Building and the knock-off Caplan's podium.

Too bad we couldn't get a restaurant with a roof-top terrace on that site. You know what though, it looks a whole lot better than the former ScotiaBank Building and it's closer to the height of knock-off Caplan's, blocking the blank wall.

What we had before.

Old Posted Dec 3, 2016, 9:53 PM
Planet Ottawa and beyond

Still a hole...

Photo by me.
December 3, 2016

Old Posted May 25, 2018, 12:37 PM

Didn't realize this had its own thread. First bit of cladding at Rideau Station/Scotiabank.

Last edited by kevinbottawa; May 28, 2018 at 2:01 PM.

Old Posted May 25, 2018, 3:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kevinbottawa View Post
Didn't realize this had its own thread. First bit of cladding at Rideau Station/Scotiabank.

Hi Kevin. Your picture disappeared on the Confederation Line thread and doesn't show up on this one. Any idea why?

I saw it briefly when it was initially posted on the Confederation thread. Starting to look good.

Old Posted May 27, 2018, 3:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by J.OT13 View Post
Hi Kevin. Your picture disappeared on the Confederation Line thread and doesn't show up on this one. Any idea why?

I saw it briefly when it was initially posted on the Confederation thread. Starting to look good.
I posted it from Google Photos instead imgur as I usually do. You can't see it? I can see it in both threads.

Old Posted May 27, 2018, 9:26 PM
ハルウララ

Whatever you're using as an image hosting site is blocking the photos.

Old Posted May 28, 2018, 1:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kevinbottawa View Post
I posted it from Google Photos instead imgur as I usually do. You can't see it? I can see it in both threads.
It seems I only see the pictures you post for a few hours after they go up (notice it on Confederation, Re and the present thread). That goes for both my home and work computers.

It's strange.

Old Posted May 28, 2018, 2:02 PM

Quote:
It seems I only see the pictures you post for a few hours after they go up (notice it on Confederation, Re and the present thread). That goes for both my home and work computers.

It's strange.
Went back to using imgur. Is it okay now?

Old Posted May 28, 2018, 2:21 PM

Looks good now. Thanks Kevin!

Other than JHikka and myself, anyone else had issues?

Old Posted May 28, 2018, 8:24 PM

Quote:
Looks good now. Thanks Kevin!

Other than JHikka and myself, anyone else had issues?
It didn't work before for me and now it works.

Old Posted May 29, 2018, 12:22 AM

Mods, I think we can say this is U/C now!

Old Posted May 29, 2018, 10:54 AM

What University of Cincinnati got to do with it?

Old Posted Jun 13, 2018, 2:44 AM

Windows are in.

Old Posted Jun 13, 2018, 11:07 AM

Why did they rebuild this and leave it at only 2 stories? You could make an argument it should blend in with the other Williams St. low rises but covering it entirely in glass doesn't do this either. There is a 20 story condo story right next door anyway.

Old Posted Jun 13, 2018, 2:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by YOWetal View Post
Why did they rebuild this and leave it at only 2 stories? You could make an argument it should blend in with the other Williams St. low rises but covering it entirely in glass doesn't do this either. There is a 20 story condo story right next door anyway.
Because Scotiabank didn't need a tower?

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario > Ottawa-Gatineau > Downtown & City of Ottawa