HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Québec > Montréal

Old Posted Apr 6, 2011, 2:15 AM
Look at me!

Quote:
Originally Posted by MolsonExport View Post
^snaredrum in extremis (love it). Where have you been? Recall the drunken thread?
Oh I've been here and there, but NOT on mtlurb if that's what you think. right the drunken thread. What has happen to my beloved drunken thread?

Old Posted Apr 6, 2011, 3:17 AM
The Vomit Bag.

^everybody dried out? well, not everybody. I am enjoying a Beck's right now.

Old Posted Apr 6, 2011, 2:09 PM
Give us a kiss

Good to see you're still around Rico. The Torch has been missed, although we have quality projects going on for a change.
I'm coming to Mtl for a week in May, too. Starting to work on moving back... Exciing times to be doing it for sure.

Old Posted Apr 7, 2011, 1:19 PM

I get giddy whenever I pass by the Marriott site.
10th tallest building in Montreal, here we come!

Old Posted Apr 10, 2011, 5:43 PM
Look at me!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cataclaw View Post
I get giddy whenever I pass by the Marriott site.
10th tallest building in Montreal, here we come!
Really 10th tallest? At a 40m, I always reckoned the Tour Telus to have the 10th spot.

Old Posted Apr 12, 2011, 3:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rico Rommheim View Post
Really 10th tallest? At a 40m, I always reckoned the Tour Telus to have the 10th spot.
Tour Telus isn't 140m, it's actually 131m-136m depending on what measure you use.

According to the official data from this city's database, Tour Telus is 169.2m above sea level (roof) and 172m above sea level for the small mechanical piece that pokes out of it.

The street finds itself between 36.4m above sea level and roughly 34.0m above sea level (it's uneven at this location)

So crunching all that data together, we end up a figure somewhere around 132.8m. You can bump that up to 138m if you include the mechanical junk on the roof.

The Marriott's roof will top out at 136m, surpassing Tour Telus' roof of ~132.8m. If we choose to include all physical elements in our analysis, then we can consider Tour Telus to be 138m, but Marriott will have a spire as well that should extend at least 10m into the Montreal sky, bringing it up to 145m or more.

Conclusion: If the numbers we've received are corret, the Marriott will be the 10th tallest building in Montreal.

By the way, did you know 1000 de la Gauchetière is actually approx. 211.1m tall? They recently revised the rules for determining tower height. Previously, you would measure from the front/main entrance, but now you can measure from the lowest point to the top of the tower. Since the ground is lower on St. Antoine street (approximately 19.1m AMSL) and the 1000 rises to exactly 230.3m AMSL, the 1000 is physically, from its lowest point to its heighest point, 211.1m. Rock on!

Old Posted Apr 12, 2011, 5:13 PM
Look at me!

^wow ok cool! thanks for the detailed analysis.

and good to know about the 1000, now if one of our diagram people can 'correct' the height?

Old Posted Apr 17, 2011, 6:31 PM
Khan

Sorry to post off topic, but I need the sage advice of the Montreal sub-forum. My girlfriend and I are visiting Montreal this week and I'm going to try to talk her into marrying me. Does anyone have any suggestions for a romantic and relatively intimate place to "pop the question" (as they say)? Parc du Mont-Royal seems like the obvious place, but I'm certainly open to other suggestions.
With coarse rice to eat, with water to drink, and my bended arm for a pillow - I have still joy in the midst of these things. Riches and honors acquired by unrighteousness are to me as a floating cloud.

Old Posted Apr 17, 2011, 7:24 PM
Headquarter: Montreal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reesonov View Post
Sorry to post off topic, but I need the sage advice of the Montreal sub-forum. My girlfriend and I are visiting Montreal this week and I'm going to try to talk her into marrying me. Does anyone have any suggestions for a romantic and relatively intimate place to "pop the question" (as they say)? Parc du Mont-Royal seems like the obvious place, but I'm certainly open to other suggestions.
anywhere in vieux-montréal !!! good luck.

Old Posted Apr 19, 2011, 5:19 PM
The Vomit Bag.

Vieux Montreal would be best, I think. If atop Mount Royal park, then at the lookout (Belvedere).

Old Posted Apr 20, 2011, 4:34 AM
Khan

^ Thanks gentlemen.
With coarse rice to eat, with water to drink, and my bended arm for a pillow - I have still joy in the midst of these things. Riches and honors acquired by unrighteousness are to me as a floating cloud.

Old Posted Apr 20, 2011, 10:40 AM
The Vomit Bag.

Best of luck. And make a dinner reservation for one of Montreal's many fine dining establishments.

Old Posted Apr 20, 2011, 3:10 PM
Khan

Quote:
Originally Posted by MolsonExport View Post
Best of luck. And make a dinner reservation for one of Montreal's many fine dining establishments.
I'm lucky. My brother used to work for Au Pied de Cochon and used his influence to get me a reservation there. Perhaps not the most romantic spot, but I've been fantasizing about eating there for a couple of years now, so romance be damned!

Old Posted Apr 20, 2011, 5:37 PM
The Vomit Bag.

^been there; good food!

Old Posted Apr 20, 2011, 6:23 PM
testify

it's pouring rain all week in montreal, so i'd try to plan around things to do inside, there a film festival on now, for instance. if you don't speak french, you might take in a concert, or if you don't have much money, try mcgill events page for free performances and recitals. montreal mirror will have your rock show listings, and if the rain lets up, i'd recommend wandering laurier, taking a beer at dieu du ciel and then hitting casa del popolo for some afternoon show - it's the new classic anglo montreal experience.

as for the food, pied de cochon is good, but it's standard. if you want to get a little more scene, hit the strip on notre dame ouest anchored by liverpool house. my friend swears by au cinquieme peche too. for random cheaper stuff that's great here, but that you really can't get in sask, you might try the curry poutine at chef guru, the goat roti at caraibe delite, a schwartz sandwich (ask for "medium juicy"), a repas poulet/frites/salade from romados, the tourtiere at pamplemousse, greasy spoon breakfast at binerie mont-royal, the house torta at la matraca, etc. the best poutine in the city, imo, is patati patata (the one everyone will tell you to check out, la banquise, is a shadow of its former self, though still open 24h). nowhere to pop the question to, but places to eat along the way.

good luck!

Old Posted Apr 20, 2011, 11:21 PM

If i had to propose, i'd do it here, personally:

http://maps.google.com/?ie=UTF8&ll=4...04128&t=k&z=19

Right under the gazebo, in the middle of the Saint-Lawrence river, with a beautiful view of the city in front of me

Old Posted Apr 25, 2011, 1:21 AM
Riki beach

Heres the 8-crane pack seen from the Turcot last friday.

Old Posted Apr 26, 2011, 5:16 AM
Khan

Thanks again to everyone who provided input. Vieux Montréal was a charming and beautiful backdrop for my otherwise clumsy and poorly planned proposal. (For those curious, she said yes of course!)

I would just like to compliment all of the Montréal forumers on your beautiful city. This was my fourth visit and it reminded me of just how much I love Montréal (and just how much I hate coming "home" to Regina.) Somehow, in this new world colony-country of ours, Montréal evokes (at least a hint of) that comfortable, grand, decrepit, electric lived-in feeling of the old world.

Old Posted Apr 27, 2011, 1:03 AM

Quote:
(For those curious, she said yes of course!)
Congratulations!

Old Posted Apr 27, 2011, 1:09 PM
The Vomit Bag.

Quote:
Thanks again to everyone who provided input. Vieux Montréal was a charming and beautiful backdrop for my otherwise clumsy and poorly planned proposal. (For those curious, she said yes of course!)

I would just like to compliment all of the Montréal forumers on your beautiful city. This was my fourth visit and it reminded me of just how much I love Montréal (and just how much I hate coming "home" to Regina.) Somehow, in this new world colony-country of ours, Montréal evokes (at least a hint of) that comfortable, grand, decrepit, electric lived-in feeling of the old world.
WOW, Congratulations!!! What a great city to pop the question. Did likewise with my fiancee back in 2004 (she Accepted)...but since we both lived in Mtl at that time, it isn't quite the same.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Québec > Montréal