HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan

Old Posted Feb 3, 2018, 1:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Echoes View Post
19th St from 2nd Ave to the Broadway Bridge needs to be redone to better tie in River Landing to Downtown.
Do you think that will happen? Aside from that...what your meaning on redone better? I see it as more walkability/transit friendly.

Old Posted Feb 3, 2018, 1:31 AM

I think a roundabout at 3rd and 19th would be fantastic. There is a lot of room at that intersection. I hope when the construction is done they do something in that vicinity. The number of dead trees in that area (and River Landing itself) is appalling. It makes the whole area look rundown and uncared for.

Feb 2 2018 pics:

^^^^ Starting to look tall. I was wondering what, if anything, they might do about the blemishes on the exposed concrete ceilings. Well it looks like they tried powerwashing the lower floor ceilings in the last few days (although it can't be seen in this picture). I'm not sure how exactly that is done in -20C weather, but I can see they tried doing something. They still look pretty bad. But I imagine they want to do something before the glazing starts going on because then it will be really hard to properly clean.

^^^^ Condo 18th floor forms going up. Also it looks like half a 15th floor on the hotel. I thought it was topped out but I guess I was wrong. It might just be a mechanical room but clearly there is a 15th "floor".

Old Posted Feb 7, 2018, 7:26 PM

On the Alt website it does state that it is 15 floors

https://www.groupegermain.ca/en/hotels/alt

Old Posted Feb 7, 2018, 7:32 PM

But the meewasin review shows 15 as most likely mechanical floor as you stated.

https://meewasin.com/assets/upload/r...08.5%20X11.pdf

Old Posted Feb 10, 2018, 3:10 AM

Thanks for the links Bess

Friday Feb 9 Pictures:

^^^^ This week they started interior walls in the Condo

^^^^ Last week I mentioned the blemishes on the ceilings. The above picture shows attempts to clean the 4th and 5th floor ceilings.

^^^^ Almost no progress on the concrete this week. Looks like lots of no parking signs for Saturday morning. Perhaps they are going to attempt to pour the 18th floor tomorrow (Sat).

^^^^ The excavators have not moved since last weekend.

Old Posted Feb 11, 2018, 1:29 AM

I wonder if those blemishes were from something they put on the forms

Old Posted Feb 11, 2018, 10:35 AM

If you're worried about the concrete finish before it's finished look at the first-floor ceiling/second-floor floor, from what you can see in the (appreciated) pic above, to get a better indication of the finished product. Even the second-floor ceiling isn't done yet. 'Nuff said;>)

Old Posted Feb 15, 2018, 1:53 AM

Not really worried more curious about what caused it, by the way nice pic's Alt

Old Posted Feb 15, 2018, 5:59 AM

Yea, the concrete takes the 'form' of the forms as it settles and dries, following and filling any lines and such and becoming a bit like the bottom of a cake, as it cures. That's my observation. Any concrete folks? Cheers, and Happy Chinese New Year!

Old Posted Feb 16, 2018, 6:13 PM

Photo by Gustavo Valencia on flickr: https://flic.kr/p/24mvdkg

Gee, I'm already missing Alt's weekly update!>(

Last edited by Ricopedra; Feb 17, 2018 at 6:50 PM.

Old Posted Feb 18, 2018, 3:55 AM

Concrete by nature does not have a consistent color, nor should you expect it to unless a color dye is introduced. So many variables...moisture, slight mixing differences (inconsistency), temperature, sun exposure, placing methods, UV exposure being a HUGE factor.

Old Posted Feb 20, 2018, 7:26 PM

Went by today and they are installing glass in the hotel. I was worried that the openings might be partially filled with spandrel, but the windows are large and fill the entire openings. I think its gonna look good. After going like gangbusters in Jan, progress on the concrete has been slow this month. Right now they appear to be placing forms for the 19th floor (I hope I counted that right). There is also some progress on the office parkade excavation. I'll get some pics later this week for sure.

Old Posted Feb 20, 2018, 7:47 PM

Your right dsmmace about all those factors, seen many concrete finishes ruined from over working the concrete, vibration troweling, etc.

Old Posted Feb 24, 2018, 1:06 AM

Feb. 23 pictures.

^^^^ Glass going onto the hotel. There is going to be a lot of glass on the facade. I think its going to be a good looking building. For my tastes, I think it will be better (appearance wise) than some of the other ALT hotels, especially one in Winnipeg.

^^^^ Today they were pouring the condo 19th floor columns. Not quite as much glass on the east side of the hotel. I am still not sure about the fact that the hotel and condo are butted up against each other. There might be a good view from some hotel rooms into some condos and v.versa.

^^^^ Condo construction elevator.

^^^^ Unlike the condo/hotel parkade, it is difficult to get a good view of the office parkade. There is a large fence around the pit. I basically have to lift my phone over my head and shoot blind. Last summer I would stop by on my way home from work and watch them working on the condo parkade. I think thats going to be tough to do with the office parkade.

Old Posted Feb 25, 2018, 8:13 PM

^^Awesome shot for a blindman! How about moving over to the truck gate and sneaking in a peak-shot? Or can you get one from a bridge again? Just dreaming! Cheers, Mate! Thanks.

Old Posted Feb 26, 2018, 2:27 PM

Man, there's going to be some OCD people freaking out about the window placement on the hotel lol. I saw some of it with the back of the 220 Wall St. building and this is going to be 100x worse for them.

Old Posted Feb 28, 2018, 2:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by alt_center View Post
^^^^ Unlike the condo/hotel parkade, it is difficult to get a good view of the office parkade. There is a large fence around the pit. I basically have to lift my phone over my head and shoot blind. Last summer I would stop by on my way home from work and watch them working on the condo parkade. I think thats going to be tough to do with the office parkade.
If I finally get around to saving photos to a hosting website, I'll post some decent office parkade photos.

At the office site yesterday, they were taking the excavation & shoring deeper along the south end of the west wall of the parkade. As well, they were working on the shoring tie-backs along the 19th Street side of the hole. There were also piles being drilled for a crane base that will being getting installed near the existing site access from Spadina. So, lots of activity ongoing at the office site.

Old Posted Feb 28, 2018, 3:19 PM

Any idea when the crane for the office will go up?

Old Posted Feb 28, 2018, 4:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Echoes View Post
Any idea when the crane for the office will go up?
it would be neat to see 3 cranes on the site, but with the hotel topping out, i think by springtime it will be taken down.

if theyre installing the base this soon, i imagine wouldnt be too long before one is assembled?? the condo/hotel crane was installed right when they hit the bottom. i wonder if the hotel red crane would be used for the office tower?

Old Posted Feb 28, 2018, 5:01 PM

The plan is to move both the hotel crane and the condo crane over to the office site. The timing should work well, as they will be finishing on those projects as formwork begins at the bottom of the office parkade excavation.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan