HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Texas & Southcentral > Austin

Old Posted May 26, 2018, 2:12 AM

Cool Austin | Stadium Tower | 264 Feet | 19 Floors | On Hold

This has been posted about in the Update and Domain/North Austin threads, but it's big enough to be in a dedicated thread.

It has a name now, and ground breaking is expected in early 2019. There will be ~300K sq. ft. of office space and close to 300 apartments.

The Statesman article linked to below the rendering doesn't include the parking levels in the floor count. Also, the exact floor count doesn't seem to be nailed down based on public info.

It's designed by Page, and the potential MLS stadium seems to be a catalyst.

Statesman: https://www.mystatesman.com/business...jdPn5NEOLISCN/

Things will be great when you're downtown.

Last edited by Urbannizer; Jul 26, 2022 at 8:54 PM. Reason: Added thread icon

Old Posted May 26, 2018, 2:56 AM

And with Downtown North starting to take shape, I'm sure Precourt is feeling better and better about his site selection. Now if we can get a few in the 300 - 400 foot range....
But I kind of like this rendering. There's enough going on to at least make it interesting.

Old Posted May 26, 2018, 5:40 AM
Meh

Yeah, that's a bit confusing. That seems to indicate the height has been reduced. It makes no mention of a 23-story building and indicates the taller of the two will be just 14 floors. The odd thing is the article is still using the 23-story version. I guess we'll have to wait for more renderings and the permits to come out.

Thou shall not indict

Old Posted May 26, 2018, 2:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KevinFromTexas View Post
Yeah, that's a bit confusing. That seems to indicate the height has been reduced. It makes no mention of a 23-story building and indicates the taller of the two will be just 14 floors. The odd thing is the article is still using the 23-story version. I guess we'll have to wait for more renderings and the permits to come out.
The current zoning, NBG TOD Midway, has a maximum height limit of 240 feet, which is not enough for 23 floors. I think they were originally banking on getting a rezoning to NBG TOD Gateway, with a maximum height of 360 feet, in conjunction with moving the Kramer Lane Station adjacent to the McKalla Place property. The Statesman article says they do not need any zoning variances. There are a lot of behind the scenes maneuvers going on around the MLS proposal which is why they released the rendering, but that is all I will say on the matter at this time.

Old Posted May 26, 2018, 2:39 PM

Here’s the property in context, cribbed from the Domain thread.

Added Precourt’s McKalla rendering for more context:

Old Posted May 26, 2018, 5:03 PM
Meh

Quote:
Originally Posted by H2O View Post
The current zoning, NBG TOD Midway, has a maximum height limit of 240 feet, which is not enough for 23 floors. I think they were originally banking on getting a rezoning to NBG TOD Gateway, with a maximum height of 360 feet, in conjunction with moving the Kramer Lane Station adjacent to the McKalla Place property. The Statesman article says they do not need any zoning variances. There are a lot of behind the scenes maneuvers going on around the MLS proposal which is why they released the rendering, but that is all I will say on the matter at this time.
Does that 240 foot zoning cover all of the area up there including the Domain? The reason I ask is a handful of the Domain buildings are over 240 feet tall. I'm assuming the 240 foot number is only limiting their main roof heights, while mechanical stuff can overrun that height.

Also, I would assume a 23-story residential building would be considerably less than 360 feet. Austin Skyhouse, for example, is 264 feet with 23 floors.

Thou shall not indict

Old Posted May 26, 2018, 6:39 PM

I think the apartment tower was originally proposed as 23-stories because it is possible to squeeze that into 240' a la West Campus style where 175' can mean 18-stories. 240' is to the roof and doesn't count mechanical.

Old Posted May 26, 2018, 6:45 PM

In the article the developer stated that they were finalizing permits. This project has been around for a while, but I have never found a single permit for it.

Old Posted May 27, 2018, 1:54 PM

Quote:
Does that 240 foot zoning cover all of the area up there including the Domain? The reason I ask is a handful of the Domain buildings are over 240 feet tall. I'm assuming the 240 foot number is only limiting their main roof heights, while mechanical stuff can overrun that height.

Also, I would assume a 23-story residential building would be considerably less than 360 feet. Austin Skyhouse, for example, is 264 feet with 23 floors.
No. The Domain zoning allows up to 308 feet. Parcels closest to the Kramer Station can go up to 360 feet.

Old Posted Jun 1, 2018, 7:10 PM
Meh

https://www.bizjournals.com/austin/n...mixed-use.html
Quote:
Timeline, design revealed for $250 million development near The Domain

Hundreds of apartments, space for offices and shops envisioned at North Gateway Plaza

By Marissa Luck – Staff Writer, Austin Business Journal
May 30, 2018, 2:55pm CDT Updated May 30, 2018, 3:14pm

Austin Business Journal first reported on Capella's plans in November. The project is now called the North Gateway Plaza and would include a 21-story tower with 285 apartments, 300,000 square feet of Class A office space and 20,000 square feet of retail space for shops, cafes and other services. A seven-story parking garage with a "growing wall" of greenery will be capped with a 14-story residential tower on one side and a six-story office tower on the other side.

Thou shall not indict

Old Posted Jun 2, 2018, 12:02 AM

Well, that article clarifies the floor count left ambiguous by the Statesman article. So it probably hasn't changed much from that rendering.

Old Posted Jun 2, 2018, 12:38 AM

Quote:
All of that for just $250 Million. Makes me wonder how a 20,000 seat soccer stadium can cost almost as much.

Old Posted Jun 9, 2018, 7:36 AM

Not that it matters a whole lot, but Community Impact updated their article about this project on 06/06 giving yet another number for the floor counts: 22-stories for the residential tower and 11-stories for the office tower.

https://communityimpact.com/austin/n...-mckalla-site/

EDIT: Capella's website states that they already have approval to build. That means elevations should be public. But I can't find the site plan.

Old Posted Nov 21, 2018, 6:42 PM

Looks like residential may have been cut from the project, while the office building has increased in size to ~400,000 sq ft.

http://capellatx.com/developments?status=construction

Old Posted Dec 27, 2018, 8:50 PM

The residential tower was dropped, and this is now a single (but larger) office tower.

20-stories
450K sq. ft. office space
10K sq. ft. retail

There are two underground parking levels. It seems those might be counted in the 20-stories if the rendering is correct.

https://abc.austintexas.gov/web/perm...ertyrsn=307370

Old Posted Dec 28, 2018, 2:46 AM
World Traveler

^^ Which lot is that one on again?

Old Posted Dec 28, 2018, 4:34 PM

That does not look like a 20 story building. I really can't wait for the Domain to get a slender 30 story mixed-use.

Old Posted Dec 28, 2018, 7:17 PM
Resident Moron

Looks to be about 200' and 16 stories above ground. Pretty substantial downgrade from the initial scope of the project (2 towers, nicer but smaller looking office).

Sad to see the lack of residential. I really want this area to become pedestrian friendly at night (bars, restaurants, etc) that can survive without soccer games happening so that we get a nice vibrant urban area around the stadium.

Old Posted Dec 28, 2018, 7:43 PM
Meh

We could easily see it ending up being 20 floors considering that it's 450,000 square feet. That's a fairly big office building. It's bigger than 300 West Sixth in downtown, and that one is 23 floors.

Thou shall not indict

Old Posted Jan 19, 2019, 12:48 AM

I added the 242' height to the thread title and changed the floor count to 18. The rendering looks like it's 18-stories, and I do believe two of the listed 20-stories are underground parking. Plus 242' would be right in line with an 18-story office over parking podium design. The 242' came from the Page drawing in the formal site plan and was very difficult to see which is why I missed it the first time around.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Texas & Southcentral > Austin