HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Vancouver > Metro Vancouver & the Fraser Valley

6000 McKay in the SkyscraperPage Database

Building Data Page   • Comparison Diagram   • Burnaby Skyscraper Diagram

View Full Map

Old Posted Apr 25, 2017, 8:03 AM

By City of Rain @ SkyRise Cties taken April 20th:

Quote:
Originally Posted by City Of Rain, post: 1215495, member: 70034
20170420_103605 by Hung Lam, on Flickr

20170420_102949 by Hung Lam, on Flickr

20170420_102352 by Hung Lam, on Flickr

20170420_103600 by Hung Lam, on Flickr
Quote:
Originally Posted by City Of Rain, post: 1215491, member: 70034
20170420_104224 by Hung Lam, on Flickr

20170420_104157 by Hung Lam, on Flickr

20170420_104150 by Hung Lam, on Flickr

20170420_104044 by Hung Lam, on Flickr
Quote:
Originally Posted by City Of Rain, post: 1215494, member: 70034
20170420_104009 by Hung Lam, on Flickr

20170420_103653 by Hung Lam, on Flickr

20170420_103736 by Hung Lam, on Flickr

20170420_103627 by Hung Lam, on Flickr

Old Posted May 16, 2017, 7:16 AM

Metrotown looking South

Old Posted May 16, 2017, 9:09 AM

Great shot, I remember growing up having a friend who lived near that vantage point (by the SD41 office) crazy to see how much the skylined changed (THE CRYSTAL MALL) towers used to be so prominent alongside MetroTowers.

Old Posted Jun 14, 2017, 5:36 PM

mine.

Old Posted Jun 15, 2017, 6:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tetsuo View Post
Great shot, I remember growing up having a friend who lived near that vantage point (by the SD41 office) crazy to see how much the skylined changed (THE CRYSTAL MALL) towers used to be so prominent alongside MetroTowers.
Yeah it's disorienting looking at the Metrotown skyline now. For the vast majority of my life the Metrotowers were iconic landmarks that dwarfed everything around them. Now they are obscure background buildings.

Old Posted Jun 22, 2017, 4:21 AM

Penthouse levels have been built on both towers and they have started work on the crown. Should reach its final height very soon.

Old Posted Jul 1, 2017, 8:07 PM

My photo from June 28:

IMG_9761-EFFECTS by 604 City, on Flickr

Old Posted Jul 1, 2017, 11:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Locked In View Post
My photo from June 28:

IMG_9761-EFFECTS by 604 City, on Flickr
Counted 43 residential floors on the tallest one

Old Posted Jul 2, 2017, 12:57 AM

how many towers are left to get built there? its brought so much height to the area, looks great

Old Posted Jul 2, 2017, 1:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpongeG View Post
how many towers are left to get built there? its brought so much height to the area, looks great
There will be 5 towers total, so there are 2 left to be built.

Old Posted Jul 2, 2017, 2:08 AM
Make America Great Again!

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpongeG View Post
2 down, 3 to go at Station Square IIRC

MAKE AMERICA GREAT AGAIN

Old Posted Jul 2, 2017, 4:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jebby View Post
2 down, 3 to go at Station Square IIRC
You got it backwards. 3 down. 2 to go

Old Posted Jul 2, 2017, 6:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sheba View Post
There will be 5 towers total, so there are 2 left to be built.
It's going to be awhile. Tower 4 set to complete in 2020 & tower 5 in 2021.

Old Posted Jul 2, 2017, 6:57 AM
Make America Great Again!

Quote:
Originally Posted by osirisboy View Post
You got it backwards. 3 down. 2 to go
Sorry, you're completely right.

MAKE AMERICA GREAT AGAIN

Old Posted Jul 2, 2017, 9:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Homeowner View Post
It's going to be awhile. Tower 4 set to complete in 2020 & tower 5 in 2021.
I could be wrong, but I believe Towers #4 and #5 are being constructed simultaneously like Towers #2 and #3 were.

While #5 may take longer to complete (mostly by virtue of being the taller of the two towers) I don't believe it will take a whole entire year more.
That's assuming they are being constructed at more or less the same time and not phased.

From the construction prep currently going on, on the sites, it suggests that they are in fact being constructed together.

Phasing construction is a great way of managing limited resources and balancing timelines, but at the same time constructing multiple towers together can be a good means of saving (money, resources and time) and optimizing those same resources when you already have all the building materials, tools, equipment and manpower on a common site.
And if both towers are already sold out as is the case in this situation, then there's no great benefit to holding back construction on one if you can execute them together.

Old Posted Jul 2, 2017, 11:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spr0ckets View Post
I could be wrong, but I believe Towers #4 and #5 are being constructed simultaneously like Towers #2 and #3 were.

While #5 may take longer to complete (mostly by virtue of being the taller of the two towers) I don't believe it will take a whole entire year more.
That's assuming they are being constructed at more or less the same time and not phased.

From the construction prep currently going on, on the sites, it suggests that they are in fact being constructed together.

Phasing construction is a great way of managing limited resources and balancing timelines, but at the same time constructing multiple towers together can be a good means of saving (money, resources and time) and optimizing those same resources when you already have all the building materials, tools, equipment and manpower on a common site.
And if both towers are already sold out as is the case in this situation, then there's no great benefit to holding back construction on one if you can execute them together.
The latest Burnaby Major Development Projects has the last two towers listed together as one project:
REZ # 12-43
Station Square IV and V: Construction of two high-rise residential towers with low-rise commercial/ retail podium (758 residential units)

From a Nov 2016 article about Station Square:
Quote:
The first tower of 35 storeys and more than 270 condo units was completed in 2015 and sold out in 30 days. The 650 condos in towers two and three were sold in just 60 days. They will be ready for residents to move in in early spring 2019. The first four towers were designed by Chris Dikeakos Architects Inc.

The final two towers (it’s worth mentioning that the appearance of the final towers was inspired by New York-style art deco skyscrapers) of 41 and 52 residential storeys totalling 758 new units will be completed in 2021.

This final phase of Station Square will continue the high standards of construction (the entire mixed-use community is built around LEED standards for environmental sustainability), use of quality materials, and attention to detail that has already been established by the first tower.

The fifth tower, in particular, is widely referred to as the “grand finale” for the bold vision that KPF typically brings to its projects. In this case, the architect’s concept for the building that will occupy 6000 McKay Street has been called “an urban sculpture” because of its striking stepped profile that ascends 52 storeys into the sky, with a greater prominence than the surrounding skyline.

A vertical series of framed glass elements will delineate the form of the building, and a playful composition of stepped balconies, which appear to float on the facade, will contribute an appearance of lightness, anchored by a limestone-clad podium topped by a lushly landscaped rooftop sanctuary.

A grand three-storey lobby, accompanied by a 24-hour concierge, will provide a prestigious welcome home to residents, and a second-floor outdoor courtyard will feature a reflecting pond and direct access to a beautifully appointed private dining, kitchen and lounge area.

Old Posted Jul 3, 2017, 9:20 AM
from the inside out

Just got home from a bike ride which included going east on Kingsway past Metrotown. In the dark, these towers looked massive rising up behind some of the older buildings. And with the partial state of the crown construction, they looked right out of Blade Runner. Never see these angles when driving. In fact all of Metrotown was inspiring in the dark.

Old Posted Jul 3, 2017, 11:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marshal View Post
Just got home from a bike ride which included going east on Kingsway past Metrotown. In the dark, these towers looked massive rising up behind some of the older buildings. And with the partial state of the crown construction, they looked right out of Blade Runner. Never see these angles when driving. In fact all of Metrotown was inspiring in the dark.
Agreed, first time driving up Willingdon in awhile, at the intersection with Grange, truly took a moment to just look up

Last edited by Tetsuo; Jul 4, 2017 at 2:47 PM.

Old Posted Jul 9, 2017, 11:59 PM

There is a great view driving Willingdon south, on the hill just before Moscrop Street. These new towers and Sovereign soaring in the distance. I should really make the trip to take a photo of it.

In other news, sites for tower 4 and 5 have now been cleared. No excavation has started yet.

Old Posted Jul 11, 2017, 5:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spr0ckets View Post

That is what the station square sales staff told me when I went to the presentation center. 2020 completion for tower 4 & 2021 for tower 5 (higher tower and a more unique one so maybe workmanship will be more detailed and takes more time?)

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Vancouver > Metro Vancouver & the Fraser Valley