HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Texas & Southcentral > Austin

Old Posted Oct 30, 2018, 12:18 AM

It looks like a La Frontera anchored by a souped up modern day Walmart with some anemities thrown in. In concept it looks nice, but not really revolutionary. Its reminds me of a mall turned inside out with a Walmart el grande anchoring it. And I couldn't help noticing the HUGE parking lot.

Old Posted Oct 30, 2018, 12:55 AM

Yep. Still an ocean of asphalt.

It’s funny to see Wal Mart but such a heavy emphasis on other brands, and let itself slip so far into the background. Hard to even tell in some of those animations where the actual Wal Mart itself is located.

Old Posted Oct 30, 2018, 10:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by the Genral View Post
It looks like a La Frontera anchored by a souped up modern day Walmart with some anemities thrown in. In concept it looks nice, but not really revolutionary. Its reminds me of a mall turned inside out with a Walmart el grande anchoring it. And I couldn't help noticing the HUGE parking lot.
Agreed. A true Town Center would be more walkable and less auto-centric. It would also be truly mixed-use, including residential, office and hotel. More Domain, less Frontera.

Old Posted Oct 30, 2018, 1:11 PM
クラブトクヨ

Yeah I don’t get what they are trying to do. Too much asphalt for me.

Old Posted Oct 30, 2018, 2:27 PM

Quote:
this is something i could get behind if they were actually going to repurpose some of their gigantic parking lots. i'd love for the northcross area to be completely redeveloped but if the walmart is there for the foreseeable future i'd be ok with just tearing up the parking lot and putting useful stuff there.

but looking at the concepts, it appears that they're just going to pave over what is currently greenspace to add these extra amenities. they're expanding parking, not subtracting. at least that's how it was in Garland, TX and Gresham, OR. Also kind of funny but the Rogers, AR rendering shows a "Scorchy Tacos" with a very similar look to Torchy's.

Old Posted Oct 30, 2018, 3:33 PM

They probably had to admit at some point in the re-envisioning process that 99.9% of their stores are in locations that require driving for their customers. I agree they could've gone mixed use and built up, but this is clearly their suburban/exurban model for places where land is still cheap and public trans is spotty.

I actually have to give them some credit for doing everything they can to blow up the big box model without completely tearing down their business model. if you know anything about the history of Wal Mart, this is a huge progressive step for them.

Old Posted Oct 31, 2018, 10:09 PM
Meh

Nickel City on East 11th has transformed itself for Halloween and "dressed up" as Moe's Tavern from the Simpsons.

https://www.cnn.com/travel/article/s...xas/index.html

Thou shall not indict

Old Posted Oct 31, 2018, 11:09 PM
Meh

Happy Halloween, everybody.

Video Link

Thou shall not indict

Old Posted Nov 1, 2018, 6:20 PM

How awesome would it be if the Fairmont could do something like this with their LED crown?

Salesforce Tower, the tallest skyscraper in San Francisco, was turned into the 'Eye of Sauron' for Halloween
https://www.businessinsider.com/sale...loween-2018-11

Old Posted Nov 23, 2018, 12:19 AM

Happy Thanksgiving everyone. I'm thankful for everyone who contributes to this forum.

Old Posted Nov 30, 2018, 1:59 AM

I see occasional inadvertent shots of the Hilton downtown but not clear enough to see what the heck they are doing to it. The exterior renovations appear to be much more than a coat of paint. It looks like they are covering up all the small windows with glass panels but I haven't seen any closeups. Does anyone here ever get close enough to it to see what's going on and maybe grab a few pics?

Old Posted Nov 30, 2018, 2:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by H2O View Post
Happy Thanksgiving everyone. I'm thankful for everyone who contributes to this forum.
Cheers waterboy, happy belated. I too am very thankful for this forum. Raise em up y’all.

Old Posted Nov 30, 2018, 4:20 AM

Quote:
I see occasional inadvertent shots of the Hilton downtown but not clear enough to see what the heck they are doing to it. The exterior renovations appear to be much more than a coat of paint. It looks like they are covering up all the small windows with glass panels but I haven't seen any closeups. Does anyone here ever get close enough to it to see what's going on and maybe grab a few pics?

They're pretty much just painting the area between groups of four windows dark brown to match the glass so that it looks like just one big window rather than four.

Old Posted Nov 30, 2018, 1:55 PM

Yikes!!! Thanks corvairkeith.

Old Posted Dec 13, 2018, 3:01 PM

Anyone else ever dealt with a troublesome HOA for a condo?

Mine is starting to get very frustrating when it comes to enforcing their rules against some residents (i.e. me) and not others...

Old Posted Dec 15, 2018, 11:44 PM
Everywhere all at once

I dunno if it was one of y'all, but kudos to whomever updated the Austin Wikipedia page with some very recent photos

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Austin,_Texas#Cityscape

Now they need to freshen up the photo collage in the infobox

Old Posted Dec 16, 2018, 4:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geckos_Rule View Post
Anyone else ever dealt with a troublesome HOA for a condo?

Mine is starting to get very frustrating when it comes to enforcing their rules against some residents (i.e. me) and not others...
You might try HOATalk forums to get some decent responses on a question like this. HOAs so often are either profoundly indifferent on critical issues or are fanatical zealots about the most trivial matters, but rarely in the middle, seemingly. Much of this comes down to not have an effective Board Of Directors since most owners are totally apathetic, leaving things neglected, or having busy-bodies intrude everywhere.

Old Posted Dec 28, 2018, 7:20 PM
Meh

Had to post this here. It's in the news here for sure, but might not be overseas.

http://www.kut.org/post/austinite-ri...i8hpYsgdh56TA4
Quote:
Austinite Richard Overton, America's Oldest Veteran, Dies At 112

By KUT STAFF • 7 HOURS AGO

Richard Overton, the oldest known American World War II veteran, has died. Overton, who turned 112 in May, was the oldest man in the United States. He was hospitalized recently for pneumonia but was released from the hospital earlier this week.

Overton was born in Bastrop County in 1906. He enlisted in the Army in 1940 and was part of an all-black engineer aviation battalion.

"Uncle Sam called me in, and I went there and I had to do it," he told KUT's Audrey McGlinchy in 2015. He served in Pearl Harbor and in the Pacific theater at Okinawa and Iwo Jima.

In 2013, Overton was invited to Washington, D.C., by President Barack Obama for Veterans Day. He had breakfast with the president and Vice President Joe Biden, before attending a wreath-laying ceremony at Arlington National Cemetery. There, he received a standing ovation as Obama honored him:
Video Link

Thou shall not indict

Old Posted Jan 1, 2019, 6:28 AM

Happy new year, y'all.

Old Posted Jan 24, 2019, 3:19 PM

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Texas & Southcentral > Austin