HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForumSkyscraper Posters
     

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Southwest

Reply

 
Thread Tools Display Modes
     
     
  #6521  
Old Posted Aug 17, 2017, 9:44 PM
southtucsonboy77's Avatar
southtucsonboy77 southtucsonboy77 is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: T-Town, AZ
Posts: 310
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #6522  
Old Posted Aug 21, 2017, 3:54 PM
southtucsonboy77's Avatar
southtucsonboy77 southtucsonboy77 is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: T-Town, AZ
Posts: 310
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #6523  
Old Posted Aug 21, 2017, 3:59 PM
Ted Lyons Ted Lyons is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Tucson, Arizona
Posts: 684
There should be an announcement today that a Chinese company developing driverless trucks is moving here.

http://www.tucsonsentinel.com/local/...trucks-tucson/

There's also a blurb in today's Tucson Lease Report.

https://realestatedaily-news.com/tuc...ug-14-18-2017/
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #6524  
Old Posted Aug 22, 2017, 11:51 PM
Ted Lyons Ted Lyons is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Tucson, Arizona
Posts: 684
Limited details but Rio Nuevo approved a deal with HSL to renovate Hotel Arizona. I believe City approval of a GPLET will be necessary as well.

http://tucson.com/business/downtown-...51b333666.html

EDIT: More details today - http://tucson.com/business/downtown-...21cc46917.html

Last edited by Ted Lyons; Aug 23, 2017 at 4:35 PM.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #6525  
Old Posted Aug 24, 2017, 5:04 PM
southtucsonboy77's Avatar
southtucsonboy77 southtucsonboy77 is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: T-Town, AZ
Posts: 310
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ted Lyons View Post
Limited details but Rio Nuevo approved a deal with HSL to renovate Hotel Arizona. I believe City approval of a GPLET will be necessary as well.

http://tucson.com/business/downtown-...51b333666.html

EDIT: More details today - http://tucson.com/business/downtown-...21cc46917.html
I'm glad they are finally doing this. Yet, I wish they got a little more creative and included plans to redevelop the corner parking structure, perhaps mixed-use that maintains the parking, but adds some offices, a "2nd tower" with additional rooms, or some apartments. That corner has the streetcar stop and is the first intersection you hit when you enter downtown. That's a prime spot.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #6526  
Old Posted Aug 24, 2017, 5:51 PM
Ted Lyons Ted Lyons is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Tucson, Arizona
Posts: 684
Quote:
Originally Posted by southtucsonboy77 View Post
I'm glad they are finally doing this. Yet, I wish they got a little more creative and included plans to redevelop the corner parking structure, perhaps mixed-use that maintains the parking, but adds some offices, a "2nd tower" with additional rooms, or some apartments. That corner has the streetcar stop and is the first intersection you hit when you enter downtown. That's a prime spot.
I think we have to take things one step at a time with HSL. After all, how's the La Placita demolition been going?
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #6527  
Old Posted Aug 28, 2017, 7:59 PM
cdsuofa cdsuofa is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Location: Tucson, AZ
Posts: 69
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ted Lyons View Post
I think we have to take things one step at a time with HSL. After all, how's the La Placita demolition been going?
I can think of so many great things HSL could do with all of that property they own. After all, they basically own a whole corner of downtown. Linking it all together into a large mixed use complex would be awesome. But I think Ted said it best lol. Hard to expect much from HSL given Humberto's past. I personally don't think they have any intention of building those apartments. If they do, it will be a long time and a lot of Rio Nuevo money from now.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #6528  
Old Posted Aug 28, 2017, 8:56 PM
catch_22 catch_22 is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2016
Posts: 6
La Placita demolition

From the front it looks like nothing is going on, but in the back they've been doing demolition work for the last several weeks. I've heard unconfirmed reports of asbestos removal.
Views from the courtyard of Tucson Music Hall:

Last edited by catch_22; Aug 28, 2017 at 9:07 PM. Reason: image formatting
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #6529  
Old Posted Aug 29, 2017, 5:30 PM
Ted Lyons Ted Lyons is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Tucson, Arizona
Posts: 684
Quote:
Originally Posted by catch_22 View Post
From the front it looks like nothing is going on, but in the back they've been doing demolition work for the last several weeks. I've heard unconfirmed reports of asbestos removal.
Views from the courtyard of Tucson Music Hall:
Thanks for the pics. Asbestos remediation can take a long time, so that's probably a valid reason for the delay.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #6530  
Old Posted Sep 8, 2017, 2:27 AM
andrewsaturn's Avatar
andrewsaturn andrewsaturn is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Tucson, Arizona
Posts: 164
Rendezvous Urban Flats

Bourn Companies shared a video for the proposed Urban flats in downtown. its a cool concept and I will take it but like a lot of us, wish it had some height.

https://m.facebook.com/BournCompanies/
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #6531  
Old Posted Sep 8, 2017, 3:04 PM
southtucsonboy77's Avatar
southtucsonboy77 southtucsonboy77 is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: T-Town, AZ
Posts: 310
Quote:
Originally Posted by andrewsaturn View Post
Bourn Companies shared a video for the proposed Urban flats in downtown. its a cool concept and I will take it but like a lot of us, wish it had some height.

https://m.facebook.com/BournCompanies/
Its a nice product, just like HSL's "luxury" apartments, but not AT THAT location. I love QuickTrips, but they don't belong in the heart of downtown. The video is cool, I liked it, but it looks odd in that spot.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #6532  
Old Posted Sep 8, 2017, 7:10 PM
Ted Lyons Ted Lyons is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Tucson, Arizona
Posts: 684
Construction fencing is up at The Mark site.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #6533  
Old Posted Sep 9, 2017, 12:51 AM
kmiller5 kmiller5 is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2015
Posts: 64
Quote:
Originally Posted by andrewsaturn View Post
Bourn Companies shared a video for the proposed Urban flats in downtown. its a cool concept and I will take it but like a lot of us, wish it had some height.

https://m.facebook.com/BournCompanies/
I didn't realize Bourne was a part of this project. Are they partnering with Aerie?
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #6534  
Old Posted Sep 9, 2017, 3:40 AM
andrewsaturn's Avatar
andrewsaturn andrewsaturn is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Tucson, Arizona
Posts: 164
Quote:
Originally Posted by kmiller5 View Post
I didn't realize Bourne was a part of this project. Are they partnering with Aerie?
No they are not haha. I think whoever manages their facebook page is a promoter of downtown development and shares a bunch of tucson development news in general.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #6535  
Old Posted Sep 12, 2017, 5:36 AM
Eapiwo Eapiwo is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2017
Location: AZ
Posts: 21
Amazon HQ 2

I hope I'm not off topic but I'd like to add to the discussion that Amazon is looking for a second city to headquarter in "HQ2" to place 50,000 employees in and their requirements are that they would like to be in a city with a population of 1,000,000+, a large airport, easy access to mass transit, and a good work/life balance. Technically Tucson meets those requirements, barely. For each of the three categories Tucson only barely inches itself into but those are just the requirements unique to this search as I would imagine they'd still want a highly educated workforce which Tuctown lacks. However I think the spirit of the city here is fairly strong akin to that of Atlanta and Los Angeles, we're just much much smaller. I'm not sure how convinced Tucson's leadership is that it can ever win Amazon but it's a fun idea to play with.


If a company were to bring in 50,000 jobs to our city I speculate that -
  1. We'd be approaching 1.3 million people (at the least) residing in Pima County by the 2030 Census
  2. We'll start to see an increase in wealth and will rank lower on poorest cities list
  3. Our status as a city would dramatically change, likely in a similar way to Austin.
  4. Downtown would most definitely see its new tallest towers for the offices alone, as some high rise apartments and hotels would be sure to follow. Likely to rival Phoenix's skyline
  5. Developing mass transit across the metro would be much more viable
  6. Sports teams would come and stay
  7. ADOT still will not have ever considered widening I-10 East of Kino
  8. Tucson would attract other businesses, high paying jobs
  9. Incorporation of Vail or other areas? Still seems unlikely however expansion of existing areas seems probable.

While it sure isn't up to the same standards of other cities, Amazon would single handedly brought Tucson up to the ranks of the rest of America's happening cities if they relocated here, which would be a pretty cool sight. I don't think many other small to mid sized American cities would be able to transform to hold a 50,000 new employees but Tucson has prepared for it with the revitalization of downtown and with the exception of I-10, could easily grow by another large sum of people.



https://www.geekwire.com/2017/amazon...t-data-decide/
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #6536  
Old Posted Sep 12, 2017, 6:08 AM
Eapiwo Eapiwo is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2017
Location: AZ
Posts: 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eapiwo View Post
I hope I'm not off topic but I'd like to add to the discussion that Amazon is looking for a second city to headquarter in "HQ2" to place 50,000 employees in and their requirements are that they would like to be in a city with a population of 1,000,000+, a large airport, easy access to mass transit, and a good work/life balance. Technically Tucson meets those requirements, barely. For each of the three categories Tucson only barely inches itself into but those are just the requirements unique to this search as I would imagine they'd still want a highly educated workforce which Tuctown lacks. However I think the spirit of the city here is fairly strong akin to that of Atlanta and Los Angeles, we're just much much smaller. I'm not sure how convinced Tucson's leadership is that it can ever win Amazon but it's a fun idea to play with.


If a company were to bring in 50,000 jobs to our city I speculate that -
  1. We'd be approaching 1.3 million people (at the least) residing in Pima County by the 2030 Census
  2. We'll start to see an increase in wealth and will rank lower on poorest cities list
  3. Our status as a city would dramatically change, likely in a similar way to Austin.
  4. Downtown would most definitely see its new tallest towers for the offices alone, as some high rise apartments and hotels would be sure to follow. Likely to rival Phoenix's skyline
  5. Developing mass transit across the metro would be much more viable
  6. Sports teams would come and stay
  7. ADOT still will not have ever considered widening I-10 East of Kino
  8. Tucson would attract other businesses, high paying jobs
  9. Incorporation of Vail or other areas? Still seems unlikely however expansion of existing areas seems probable.

While it sure isn't up to the same standards of other cities, Amazon would single handedly brought Tucson up to the ranks of the rest of America's happening cities if they relocated here, which would be a pretty cool sight. I don't think many other small to mid sized American cities would be able to transform to hold a 50,000 new employees but Tucson has prepared for it with the revitalization of downtown and with the exception of I-10, could easily grow by another large sum of people.




https://www.geekwire.com/2017/amazon...t-data-decide/
Edit- I would also like to think that our lack of hurricanes and other disasters here might make us at least a least bit more desirable. Right? Sorry for the double post. Meant to edit, not quote but now I cant delete it
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #6537  
Old Posted Sep 12, 2017, 7:32 PM
wildcatmd wildcatmd is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2016
Posts: 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eapiwo View Post
I hope I'm not off topic but I'd like to add to the discussion that Amazon is looking for a second city to headquarter in "HQ2" to place 50,000 employees in and their requirements are that they would like to be in a city with a population of 1,000,000+, a large airport, easy access to mass transit, and a good work/life balance. Technically Tucson meets those requirements, barely. For each of the three categories Tucson only barely inches itself into but those are just the requirements unique to this search as I would imagine they'd still want a highly educated workforce which Tuctown lacks. However I think the spirit of the city here is fairly strong akin to that of Atlanta and Los Angeles, we're just much much smaller. I'm not sure how convinced Tucson's leadership is that it can ever win Amazon but it's a fun idea to play with.


If a company were to bring in 50,000 jobs to our city I speculate that -
  1. We'd be approaching 1.3 million people (at the least) residing in Pima County by the 2030 Census
  2. We'll start to see an increase in wealth and will rank lower on poorest cities list
  3. Our status as a city would dramatically change, likely in a similar way to Austin.
  4. Downtown would most definitely see its new tallest towers for the offices alone, as some high rise apartments and hotels would be sure to follow. Likely to rival Phoenix's skyline
  5. Developing mass transit across the metro would be much more viable
  6. Sports teams would come and stay
  7. ADOT still will not have ever considered widening I-10 East of Kino
  8. Tucson would attract other businesses, high paying jobs
  9. Incorporation of Vail or other areas? Still seems unlikely however expansion of existing areas seems probable.

While it sure isn't up to the same standards of other cities, Amazon would single handedly brought Tucson up to the ranks of the rest of America's happening cities if they relocated here, which would be a pretty cool sight. I don't think many other small to mid sized American cities would be able to transform to hold a 50,000 new employees but Tucson has prepared for it with the revitalization of downtown and with the exception of I-10, could easily grow by another large sum of people.



https://www.geekwire.com/2017/amazon...t-data-decide/
The biggest advantage that Tucson has is that we have a cheap cost of living and a developing work/life culture. I think Amazon will choose a cheaper city given the lashing out they've received from the Seattle Community regarding gentrification. Despite this, I think we would still be behind many others cities including Detroit, Baltimore or even Phoenix.

Besides continuing focus on downtown revitalization, I think the best thing that can be done is continue to attract smaller headquarters (ala Caterpillar) that can directly draw from and feedback into U of A programs. I think that will create the kind of presence that attracts big headquarters in the same vein that Stanford, UT Austin and University of Washington are intimately connected to the business communities of San Jose, Austin and Seattle respectively,

U of A produces so much STEM talent that is exported around country. Its a shame that more isn't done to bring those companies to Tucson instead of sending our professionals to them.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #6538  
Old Posted Sep 12, 2017, 8:41 PM
Patrick S Patrick S is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Posts: 473
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eapiwo View Post
I hope I'm not off topic but I'd like to add to the discussion that Amazon is looking for a second city to headquarter in "HQ2" to place 50,000 employees in and their requirements are that they would like to be in a city with a population of 1,000,000+, a large airport, easy access to mass transit, and a good work/life balance. Technically Tucson meets those requirements, barely. For each of the three categories Tucson only barely inches itself into but those are just the requirements unique to this search as I would imagine they'd still want a highly educated workforce which Tuctown lacks. However I think the spirit of the city here is fairly strong akin to that of Atlanta and Los Angeles, we're just much much smaller. I'm not sure how convinced Tucson's leadership is that it can ever win Amazon but it's a fun idea to play with.


If a company were to bring in 50,000 jobs to our city I speculate that -
  1. We'd be approaching 1.3 million people (at the least) residing in Pima County by the 2030 Census
  2. We'll start to see an increase in wealth and will rank lower on poorest cities list
  3. Our status as a city would dramatically change, likely in a similar way to Austin.
  4. Downtown would most definitely see its new tallest towers for the offices alone, as some high rise apartments and hotels would be sure to follow. Likely to rival Phoenix's skyline
  5. Developing mass transit across the metro would be much more viable
  6. Sports teams would come and stay
  7. ADOT still will not have ever considered widening I-10 East of Kino
  8. Tucson would attract other businesses, high paying jobs
  9. Incorporation of Vail or other areas? Still seems unlikely however expansion of existing areas seems probable.

While it sure isn't up to the same standards of other cities, Amazon would single handedly brought Tucson up to the ranks of the rest of America's happening cities if they relocated here, which would be a pretty cool sight. I don't think many other small to mid sized American cities would be able to transform to hold a 50,000 new employees but Tucson has prepared for it with the revitalization of downtown and with the exception of I-10, could easily grow by another large sum of people.



https://www.geekwire.com/2017/amazon...t-data-decide/
This article, although it is kinda for fun more than anything, knocks Tucson out in their first round: https://www.nytimes.com/interactive/...arters-be.html. One of the criteria is "strong job growth", the NY Times article states, "Here we’ve cut the contenders by half, keeping those metropolitan areas that have had the best job growth over the last decade, according to Bureau of Labor Statistics data. Metro areas that have actually lost jobs (Tucson [emphasis added by me] ; Birmingham, Ala.) and those that have grown more sluggishly are out of the running."

I'll admit when I initially heard about Amazon wanting a new, second, HQ city, I was excited. But I don't see it happening here. Our "mass-transit" is paltry compared to what other cities can offer - and they don't even have dedicated lanes here.

As for this causing the tallest building in Tucson, that may be, but I doubt it would be downtown. According to the NY Times article, "It’s hard to imagine where the Boston region would find the room for a company that will ultimately want up to eight million square feet of office space (the Pentagon, for comparison, has 6.6 million)." - 8 Million square feet of office space. There is no way they could find that space, even with a tall building, in downtown Tucson. The Sears Tower (Willis Tower) in Chicago has 4.56 million square feet. That would be one tall tower, especially compared to the other buildings in Tucson.

As for your observation about I-10 needing to be widened, east of Kino, you are right on that it needs to be widened, but this is actually on AzDOT's radar (https://www.azdot.gov/planning/trans...study/overview). I've seen a study report - which I am struggling to find right now, that indicates the 2 preferred alternatives could each result in 4-6 lanes, each way, from Alvernon to Kolb.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #6539  
Old Posted Sep 12, 2017, 9:55 PM
combusean's Avatar
combusean combusean is online now
Skyriser
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: Parkmerced, San Francisco, California
Posts: 4,920
^ Nobody would put 8 million square feet in one building. That space could however easily be built with a dozen or so 400 - 500' office buildings, however, which are vastly more economical and space efficient.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #6540  
Old Posted Sep 13, 2017, 3:38 AM
Patrick S Patrick S is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Posts: 473
Quote:
Originally Posted by combusean View Post
^ Nobody would put 8 million square feet in one building. That space could however easily be built with a dozen or so 400 - 500' office buildings, however, which are vastly more economical and space efficient.
Exactly one of the points I'm making. Downtown would not be able to absorb that much construction. There is simply not enough space.
Reply With Quote
     
     
This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts
 
 
Reply

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Southwest
Forum Jump


Thread Tools
Display Modes

Forum Jump


All times are GMT. The time now is 8:24 PM.

     

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.