HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForumSkyscraper Posters

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Calgary > Projects & Construction Updates

Closed Thread

Old Posted Sep 13, 2017, 3:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suburgatory View Post
Proof suburbia is still living in the past.
Yup, still back in the 1980's when the suburbs were king and people didn't know any better.

Old Posted Sep 13, 2017, 5:41 AM
Go Tall or Go Home

^And I'm not supposed to like suburban life why exactly ?
Please tell me what I like again.

Old Posted Sep 13, 2017, 1:34 PM

[QUOTE=craner;7920407]^And I'm not supposed to like suburban life why exactly ?

Lost cause. Deepstar is the antithesis to suburbia. In Deepstar's universe you should just blow up the evil burbs. He can't comprehend why for some people it might actually suit their lifestyle better than urban for that time in their life.

Old Posted Sep 13, 2017, 2:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by craner View Post
^And I'm not supposed to like suburban life why exactly ?
Please tell me what I like again.
Take a drive down Stoney Trail past Coventry Hills and those neighborhoods and you'll see why. A while back I picked up friends from airport to take them to Banff, and I felt embarrassed for my city when we passed those neighborhoods. Luckily they stayed in Calgary for a couple of days, and I got to show them some of the inner city.

Old Posted Sep 13, 2017, 2:46 PM
Fake News

Wrong thread.

www.behance.net/OlivierGraham

Last edited by O-tacular; Sep 13, 2017 at 3:17 PM.

Old Posted Sep 13, 2017, 3:16 PM
Fake News

Quote:
Originally Posted by Socguy View Post
I don't get the big push to move to SRC, if people hate this site so much, why would they want everyone to move over there?
I agree. I'm not giving up on SSP yet. I've been part of this community for the better part of a decade now.

Old Posted Sep 13, 2017, 4:41 PM

Quote:
I don't get the big push to move to SRC, if people hate this site so much, why would they want everyone to move over there?
SRC stays on topic, but if everyone here goes there, then it will be SSP 2.0

Old Posted Sep 13, 2017, 6:00 PM
That's what she said

Quote:
I like the updates from Big Sky, quite often things are happening that we don't know about here at SSP. We don't need a big screen shot of the updates, just a mention of which projects have updates.

Old Posted Sep 13, 2017, 10:13 PM

Quote:
I don't know if there is a big push to move people to SRC, but I don't care either way. I go to both sites which is totally allowed as both sites are free to anyone, and I don't cares who goes to what site, or why anyone would care if there are updates from SRC posted here. As far as I know there isn't a rule saying you need to pick a site, and I'm going to keep going to both. Even though SRC is where all the action is these days, I'll still be coming here too.

Old Posted Sep 14, 2017, 3:12 AM
Fake News

Some other sad news I heard tonight on ctv. Apparently the long talked about modern art museum that was being planned for the old science centre is now kaput. They couldn't raise the 90% of funding the city required and claim their terms were too harsh. Very sad to hear this. Embarassing that a city our size doesn't have a modern art museum and yet Saskatoon just built an amazing new one. Mind you they had a big donor...

This city disappoints me sometimes. We have so much wealth yet so little to show for cultural venues.

Old Posted Sep 14, 2017, 3:49 AM

Sometimes I think Deepstar and suburbia are the same person with split personalities fighting each other on line.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rotten42 View Post

Lost cause. Deepstar is the antithesis to suburbia. In Deepstar's universe you should just blow up the evil burbs. He can't comprehend why for some people it might actually suit their lifestyle better than urban for that time in their life.

Old Posted Sep 14, 2017, 4:42 AM
Reach for the heavens

Weren't you one of the people complaining that no money should go to a new arena? You shouldn't be embarrassed that there isn't an art gallery.

Quote:
Originally Posted by O-tacular View Post
Some other sad news I heard tonight on ctv. Apparently the long talked about modern art museum that was being planned for the old science centre is now kaput. They couldn't raise the 90% of funding the city required and claim their terms were too harsh. Very sad to hear this. Embarassing that a city our size doesn't have a modern art museum and yet Saskatoon just built an amazing new one. Mind you they had a big donor...

This city disappoints me sometimes. We have so much wealth yet so little to show for cultural venues.

Old Posted Sep 14, 2017, 5:17 PM
Fake News

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveP View Post
Weren't you one of the people complaining that no money should go to a new arena? You shouldn't be embarrassed that there isn't an art gallery.
I never said no money should go to the arena. I said the Flames are greedy bastards for turning down a deal where the city is offering to pay a third of it. The Flames ownership group are billionaires. How can you compare that to a cash strapped arts organization? It is pathetic that Canada's fourth largest city does not have a dedicated art museum. Especially for a city as wealthy as Calgary. Priorities though I guess. Much more important to subsidize billionaires and their massively profitable sports and entertainment venture than anything in the arts.

Old Posted Sep 14, 2017, 5:41 PM
My Spoon Is Too Big

Quote:
The arts group was asking for a 10 yr lease vs the 33month one the city was offering. How does that compare with billionaires not being satisfied with taxpayers paying for 1/3 of their business venture?

Old Posted Sep 14, 2017, 5:58 PM
Reach for the heavens

I'm really getting tired of this 'greedy billionaires' or 'spoiled millionaire hockey player' refrain. That's the attitude Nenshi took and now it's become a debacle.
Quote:
Originally Posted by O-tacular View Post
I never said no money should go to the arena. I said the Flames are greedy bastards for turning down a deal where the city is offering to pay a third of it. The Flames ownership group are billionaires. How can you compare that to a cash strapped arts organization? It is pathetic that Canada's fourth largest city does not have a dedicated art museum. Especially for a city as wealthy as Calgary. Priorities though I guess. Much more important to subsidize billionaires and their massively profitable sports and entertainment venture than anything in the arts.

Old Posted Sep 14, 2017, 6:21 PM

Quote:
I'm really getting tired of this 'greedy billionaires' or 'spoiled millionaire hockey player' refrain.
If you are getting tired of the truth, I think you should stock up on some Tylenol or decide to accept facts.

Here is a reality for you to absorb.
  • Gary Bettman doesn't pay tax in Canada - and who knows if he pays tax.
  • Murray Edwards doesn't pay tax in Canada - he pays tax in the UK.
  • Murray Edwards' representative Ken King is demanding $500 per person from each and every Calgary area tax payer to be mailed to Murray Edwrads' UK residence.
  • Bettman by making this political, and in doing so, is making the election a referendum on increased taxes to fund Murray, versus a more appropriate fiscally conservative stance that balances subsidies with public good.

Start digesting. A nice K.D. Lang song might help also.

Old Posted Sep 14, 2017, 6:54 PM
Fake News

Quote:
I'm really getting tired of this 'greedy billionaires' or 'spoiled millionaire hockey player' refrain. That's the attitude Nenshi took and now it's become a debacle.
Oh I don't blame the players at all. This is 100% greedy, tax dodging multi billionaire Murray Edwards and gang trying to bend the city over for extra profit. I dare you to spin it any other way.

Old Posted Sep 14, 2017, 8:53 PM

Quote:
Exactly. We get updates here, it's not like we need Henny Penny jumping in to let us know the sky is falling.

Old Posted Sep 15, 2017, 3:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chinook Arch View Post
Exactly. We get updates here, it's not like we need Henny Penny jumping in to let us know the sky is falling.
Yeah I mean we have Damon's pictures of gray skies and Suburbia posting brand new information from a year ago. What more could we want?

Old Posted Sep 15, 2017, 9:00 PM
Fake News

Quote:
Originally Posted by ST1 View Post
Yeah I mean we have Damon's pictures of gray skies and Suburbia posting brand new information from a year ago. What more could we want?
I posted some pics from Stephen Ave last week of Telus Sky and Brookfield Place.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Closed Thread

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Calgary > Projects & Construction Updates