HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForumSkyscraper Posters

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture

Old Posted Dec 22, 2008, 10:22 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Central Los Angeles Area High School #9, Los Angeles, United States
Design for High School #9 realised as building completes
The design by Austrian architects Coop Himmelb(l)au for the Central Los Angeles Area High School #9 for the visual and performing arts has completed and will open in September 2009 for the new term.

Central to the building is the suitably dramatic theatre which holds just short of 1,000 audience members and will be open to the public as well as the 1,800 students providing a public space which was previously lacking in the Grand Avenue area.

Each student is matriculated within one of four academies representing each of the arts disciplines, accordingly there are 4 separate classroom buildings as well as the theatre, the library and the cafeteria making up the seven building campus.

Coop Himmelb(l)au’s design concept is to use architectural signs as symbols to communicate the commitment of the Los Angeles community to Art. Like chess figures three sculptural buildings, which relate to the context of downtown Los Angeles and the program, redefine spatially and energetically the otherwise orthogonal arrangement of the master plan. A Tower figure with spiralling ramp in the shape of the number 9 located on top of the theater’s flyloft serves as a widely visible sign for the Arts in the city and a point of identification for the students. Inside the tower, an event, conference and exhibition space with a view across the city is planned to be located.
http://www.worldarchitecturenews.com...pload_id=10892

Old Posted Dec 23, 2008, 8:29 AM
The World Is Welcome Here

Quote:
Originally Posted by amor de cosmos View Post
The containers look like giant shoeboxes!

http://www.inhabitat.com/2008/12/19/...-architecture/

There's something similiar that's going to be built in Salt Lake City for condos, only it's about twice as tall as this.

Plyg, Metrosexual, & AVENian

Old Posted Dec 23, 2008, 8:32 AM
BANNED

for any fans of that container architecture: http://www.lot-ek.com/

check it out.

Old Posted Dec 23, 2008, 8:33 AM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by amor de cosmos View Post
WOOOOT!!!

Old Posted Dec 23, 2008, 8:49 AM
BANNED

^^^ Seriously? That is one of the dumber ones I've seen in this thread! Built between a superhighway and a park? And what the hell is going to go in that HUGE base? A poorly planned and massive mall or something?

Old Posted Dec 23, 2008, 8:49 AM
cookies, skittles & milk

What Adrian said!

Old Posted Dec 23, 2008, 8:57 AM
BANNED

Seriously though, someone please explain to me why that building is in anyway good architecture? Yeah, it looks funky, but is that actually redeeming in any way? Its nothing more than sculpture you can put stuff inside of in my opinion, and bad sculpture at that...

Old Posted Dec 23, 2008, 11:19 AM
CHICAGO ADDICTED

The Skyscraper Of The Future - Symbiotic Interlock - CHICAGO ILLINOIS

Old Posted Dec 23, 2008, 1:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CHI-TOWN FLAME View Post
The Skyscraper Of The Future - Symbiotic Interlock
God, I hope not. Cities have suffered enough. Don't punish them even more with stuff like this.

(Could be said for probably 85-90+% of buildings in this thread, really...)

Old Posted Dec 23, 2008, 5:46 PM
Don't tear anything down.

In this thread, about 30% is trying to be innovative and modern and failing horribly, about 30% looks innovative but really is just a regurgitation of your average new condo, about 20% is truly innovative and modern in all senses of the word, and about 20% is modern but still reflects basic structure of classical architecture - The last one is my favorite when done right, but it's so easy to blur the lines between that and a modern regurgitation of your average condo. And then there's the completely pathetically awful and ugly new ideas like that last one which would single handedly ruin the beauty in Chicago's skyline. Hopefully it's just conceptual.

Old Posted Dec 23, 2008, 5:54 PM
BANNED

this got a major national award earlier this year:

Quote:
Nk’Mip Desert Cultural Centre - HBBH Architects
Architects: Hotson Bakker Boniface Haden architects + urbanistes

Principal in charge: Bruce Haden
Project Architect: Brady Dunlop
Project Team: Norm Hotson, Stephanie Forsythe, Tina Hubert, Julie Bogdanowicza
Project year: 2006
Site Area: 1,600 acre
Constructed Area: 1,115 sqm
Materials: Rammed Earth, Concrete, Bluestain Pine Cladding
Structural Engineering: Equilibrium Consulting Inc.
Contractor: Greyback Construction
Lanscape Architecture: Phillips Farevaag Smallenberg
Client: Osoyoos Indian Band
Rammed Earth Wall Sub Contractor: Terra Firma Builders Ltd.
Photographs: Nic Lehoux Photography
http://www.archdaily.com/10629/nkmip...bh-architects/

Old Posted Dec 23, 2008, 5:59 PM
is a loser.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CHI-TOWN FLAME View Post
The Skyscraper Of The Future - Symbiotic Interlock - CHICAGO ILLINOIS
So in the future, skyscrapers will be nothing more than storage containers for supermodels and suicidal stockbrokers?

Old Posted Dec 23, 2008, 6:02 PM
BANNED

Nk'Mip cont'd

Old Posted Dec 23, 2008, 7:20 PM
Registered

Wow, I've got to hand it to LA for hiring a truly great design firm to do a public school there. I had no idea they were doing this. Nor do I know if it's just an isolated incident, but I truly wish the City of Chicago would wake up and quit producing such banal junk for its public building stock.

CHI-TOWN FLAME, can you please post credits to the architects / participants of that design and source info? Thanks.

"I often say, 'Look, see, enjoy, and love.' It's a long way from looking to loving, but it's worth the effort." - Walter Andrew Netsch Jr.

Old Posted Dec 23, 2008, 8:25 PM
THAT Guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by honte View Post
Wow, I've got to hand it to LA for hiring a truly great design firm to do a public school there. I had no idea they were doing this. Nor do I know if it's just an isolated incident, but I truly wish the City of Chicago would wake up and quit producing such banal junk for its public building stock..
It is a nice school, but you'd expect it to be for $230 million.

Old Posted Dec 23, 2008, 8:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by spyguy View Post
It is a nice school, but you'd expect it to be for $230 million.
$230 million? For that? Jeebus.

Old Posted Dec 23, 2008, 10:15 PM

some of my favorities

The armadillo, in glasglow
http://www.glasgowwestend.co.uk/gallery/images/armadillo.jpg

http://lh3.ggpht.com/_8IHCH73qtec/Ry...llo-738317.JPG

Wilkinson eyre-the ballet school

http://www.coolboom.net

Old Posted Dec 23, 2008, 11:22 PM
REAL Kiwi!

Quote:
Originally Posted by honte View Post
Wow, I've got to hand it to LA for hiring a truly great design firm to do a public school there. I had no idea they were doing this. Nor do I know if it's just an isolated incident, but I truly wish the City of Chicago would wake up and quit producing such banal junk for its public building stock.

CHI-TOWN FLAME, can you please post credits to the architects / participants of that design and source info? Thanks.
Its refreshing and amazing that LA is doing something so grand for public education....

Im not always a modern architecture fan, but I would much rather see a grand attempt than a mediocre one...

Old Posted Dec 24, 2008, 1:46 AM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nowhereman1280 View Post
Seriously though, someone please explain to me why that building is in anyway good architecture?
New Headquarters for BBVA
Madrid, Spain

Herzog & de Meuron
Architectural Statement:

The site BBVA has procured for its new headquarters is located on the periphery of Madrid. It is surrounded by streets of newly erected offices, commercial buildings, and residential developments. It is a “site without qualities”, a desert-like place. We propose the creation of an artificial garden, an oasis, evolving from inside out—a place that establishes a balance between the natural environment and the buildings, and functions like a small city.

A linear structure composed of three-story buildings, alleyways and irrigated gardens is laid over the entire site like a carpet that follows the topography. Analogous to an Arabian garden, a cool, moist, fresh microclimate is created. Each workspace has a “green view”. The layout, with its horizontal branches, is more appropriate to today’s working world than open-plan offices, in which an employee feels like a number.

The complex encourages communication: people walk instead of taking elevators; they meet and talk to one another. A large degree of transparency generates a sense of community, while the relatively small units permit employees to identify with their particular group. Four existing buildings are integrated in the overall low-rise complex. Linear courtyards cut into the building mass link their structure with the new buildings.

In order to make the BBVA stand out in the skyline of the capital, the carpet is cut out in an approximate circle and tilted upwards: the result is a plaza and a slender, disk-shaped tower.

Plaza and Tower anchor the complex and provide orientation. The main entrance and various communal facilities form an interconnected ring around the plaza. The Tower, containing offices with views across the city and the Sierra of Madrid, contributes to the diversity of the workspaces.

The Plaza is planted with trees that provide generous shade, a large water basin humidifies the air and serves as a reservoir. Between the buildings, the gardens and alleyways echo the linear principle. Different trees and vegetation of varying densities distinguish the areas, so that they each retain their individual character within the overall context of the Carpet.

The Natural Resources
The design is adapted to the climatic conditions and makes efficient use of energy resources by providing ample natural daylight, while the gardens and alleyways are fully shaded in the summer months. Overhanging floorplates and a brise-soleil structure keep direct sunlight away from the workspaces. This minimizes the need for artificial lighting and air conditioning, which account for the greatest energy consumption in office buildings.

Ventilation is only needed to ensure the circulation of fresh air in the office spaces—windows can be opened to provide cross ventilation. Retractable elements in the roof help to control the temperature of the gardens.

The water that regulates the temperature of the floor slabs is geothermally cooled or warmed. Photovoltaic cells on the roofs as well as rain and grey water processing complete the overall sustainability concept.

Old Posted Dec 24, 2008, 2:28 AM
BANNED

more of that high school:

Quote:
Completion of COOP HIMMELB(L)AU’s High School #9, Los Angeles, USA

The Central Los Angeles Area High School #9 for the visual and performing arts by COOP HIMMELB(L)AU has just been completed. The school will open for the new school year in September 2009.

The Central Los Angeles Area High School #9 for the Visual and Performing Arts of the Los Angeles Unified School District (LAUSD) is part of phase II of LAUSD’s rigorous state bond funded plan to have 155 new schools built in its district by 2012.

Located on a 9.8 acre site on Grand Avenue in downtown Los Angeles, the school will be a comprehensive High School and in addition will offer courses in the Visual Arts, Performing Arts, Music and Dance.

Due to its central location the High School will be a part of the cultural facilities along the Grand Avenue cultural corridor, joining the Disney Concert Hall, Music Center, Colburn School of Music, Museum of Contemporary Art and the Cathedral of our Lady of the Angels.

To fulfil its mandate as a public facility in keeping with the spirit of the other facilities on Grand Avenue the school campus will include a professional performing arts theater for just below 1,000 visitors, a venue, which so far has been missing in the spectrum of performance facilities downtown Los Angeles.

The theater will be used for educational purposes, will be open to the public and for use by other institutions, and is equipped with a full stage, orchestra pit, back stage and fly-loft.

The school will house approximately 1,800 students organized in four academies, one for each discipline in the Arts. Accordingly, the campus is comprised of seven buildings: the theater building, four classroom buildings, the library and the cafeteria.

The unique central position of the site downtown, separated from the Grand Avenue corridor by the 101 freeway and thus visually exposed along the edge of one of the most widely used thoroughfares in downtown Los Angeles, was a determining factor in the decision to use this site to create LAUSD’s flagship high school for the Visual and Performing Arts and together with the program served as the point of departure for the architectural concept for the school.
http://www.dezeen.com/2008/12/23/hig...op-himmelblau/

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture