HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Urban Art > Skyscraper & Urban Art

Old Posted Jun 12, 2004, 4:40 PM
all you need is love.

What do you wanna see in SC5?

Rumours are already flying that Sim City 5 is starting to be planned/made, and this brings me to asking, what do I wanna see in the new game?

Personally, I want a more broad system of buildings and styles, as well as having them build quicker and easier. I also share a desire to see diagonal bridges and buildings facing angled roads like many people want to see. I also want a few more bridge designs... I know they can be more creative than what they have now.

So, what do you wanna see?

Old Posted Jun 12, 2004, 4:48 PM
The SSP MVP

I would eventually like to see my city from a 1 person perspective. I don't know if our desktop computers would be able to map out a huge city like that as of yet...but I think that would be awesome to see.

I also want to see weather...like snow and rain, and leaves falling off trees in autumn.

Streetcars!!!

Definitely more building variety.

More stadiums and arenas.

Old Posted Jun 12, 2004, 5:45 PM
important

I would like streetcars and to be able to see the city from a one person perspective.

I would like to have a differance from suburban and urban buildings.

Old Posted Jun 12, 2004, 5:47 PM
OG from the L.B.C.

1) Slighty more varied zoning. For example, either the ability to zone specifically rowhomes, or removing single family dwellings from medium or dense residential. The ability to zone or influence zone developement. Like zone with height restricts/favoring. You might designate high density commercial or residential to be skyscraper preferred. This might work, or might backfire and not build anything if theres no market.

2) More varied LARGE parks/plazas, with multiple graphics for 2x2, 3x3, and at least 4x4. Possibly 5x5 and 6x6. Also, the ability to zone parks. In large areas, they would work much like agricultural industrial. The entire area would develop (and cost much like individula parks) with a semi random patten of grass/trees/water/paths.

3) Even more bridges, I love the new pickable bridge system, but in reality I would like even more choices. Mainly a few different graphics for each base type. Like stone arch would have 3 different looks. Steel arch might have a few different looks/colors.

4) Diagonal bridges. Possibly diagonal ports and ferry terminals.

5) Diagonal plots. For example if you were to zone a corner with a 3x1,a 2x1, and a 1x1 next to each other, they could combine into a trangle 3x3x3, and develop a building such as a Flatiron clone.

6) Maybe a system where the roads are a bit wider, and incorporate a built in sidewalk that can be built on. Subway stations, bus stops, trees, benches, public art, etc. could be added onto the road tile itself, showing up on that sidewalk. I know current streets have a sidewalk, but its not the same. (example- A subway stop would be under the roadtile. Above ground, stairs would show on both sides of the street. If placed in a road crossing square, the station may have stops on all four corners.)

7) Even more transit systems. (I love Rush hour!) These would include Streetcars/cablecars. 2tile wide roads (like avenues) which include trolley tracks down the center (looping at the end if not connected). The streetcars would travel these tracks, increasing their capacity. This however would be at a limited car capacity. Overall, they would be like avenues, but with instread of the larger car capacity, they would retain the normal roads capacity, and the extra passengers would take the trolley. If the car traffic can't find other routes, and becomes to great, both services would suffer. I would also like to see elevated rail thats over the street as well. But I can live with out it.

8) Modifications to the subway system. If you upgrade your normal subway line to double wide (or high capacity) you can then designate or upgrade subway stops to be express stops. This would increase(maybe double) the capacity of the stop, and remove alot of congestion. Express stops couldn't be placed on basic lines.

9) Aerial trams over water, or up/across steep terrain.

10) Rewards with multiple graphics. Like City Hall. When placed, you would be prompted to pick one of a few graphics, allowing you to customize your city a bit more. This would include things like Arenas/stadiums, etc. as well.

11) The ability to "zone" historical, dragging it over sections, or at least entire blocks. I would like to see the no-bulldozer option to historical buildings returned. I don't know why they removed it, but I would like it back. (maybe a second checkbox under historical)

12) Larger(numbers wise) building sets. I know they increase the system requirements, so maybe you could have the option when building a region. You could choose normal building set, large, and huge. Huge building set would be very demanding, but give your city a much more realistic look, with 2 or 3 times the building types of normal.

13) More varied terrain. Like SC3, colored terrain denoting different climates. And trees. I do not like palm trees, and it bugs the hell out of me every city I build is filled with them. I can understand the Houston set...but Chicago and NY? WTF?

14) The ability (probally is a add on or stand alone companion program) to walk/fly/drive through my cities. The city wouldn't be playabe in this form, but you could see skyline views, street views etc.

I got more, but I need some lunch. Heh.

Old Posted Jun 13, 2004, 12:19 AM
all you need is love.

Wonderful suggestions... I can't believe I didn't think about streetcars... I would LOVE those! Keep 'em coming!

Old Posted Jun 13, 2004, 3:13 PM
Red October standing by

1. MOST IMPORTANT - return the feature to where you can see the public buildings when everything else is simply viewed as colored zones...It's so damned hard to handle mass transit stops and stuff when you can't tell where they are, and can't get a bulldozer on them.

2. different sized mass transit stops; better ways to make subways work out of one building (like having parallel lines without making 2 stops.)

3. subway and bus stops built into parks, or placed on sidewalks.

4. sidewalks/foot streets under the street option could be cool

5. UNDER AND OVERPASSES for roads, rail, avenues, etc., that are easier to do

6. better terrain management system; more like SC3

7. maybe options for some NIMBY/YIMBYisms

8. design approval for buildings and lots based on size; example: you get notice of propsals for 4x4 or bigger lot construction and you have to approve it; then they can also come up with a new proposal

9. bigger city zones

10. backwards compatible with SC4

11. more buildings per tile set; and where's the "Asian Tile Set?"

12. diagnol bridges

13. maybe some better separation of wealth; hence you get ghettos and gritty areas in some parts that are more functional than they otherwise would be if done now

14. maybe some one-off buildings; for example, you get notice so and so company wants to build their headquarters in your city

15. different tax structure; more detailed, more options than just property tax, like say, sales tax, car tax, etc...

-

-fflint

Last edited by LSyd; Jun 13, 2004 at 3:20 PM.

Old Posted Jun 13, 2004, 4:13 PM

/\ those are all excellent ideas. i especially like the ideas about approving large projects and the announcements about headquarters moving to your city. your first idea is the best though. that would be really nice.

i'll add a few.

- full 3d graphics. this game won't be out for 3 years. computers will be faster by then. they'll be able to handle it. besides, i have a feeling that a 3d engine would work better on any computer with a fast video card. rendering so many 2d sprites is hard on the processor, especially when so much power is required to calculate everything else in the game. a more video card intesive engine would remove strain from the cpu and definitely be good.

- free camera movement. with the 3d engine you would be able to fly the camera around anywhere. you could see your city from any angle or any location. that would be sweet.

- free hand road mapping. i'm tired of having roads based on 45 degree angles. i want to be able to draw out twisty roads, or roads at other angles.

- funny shaped lots. buildings on sharp corners are the best. i'd like to be able to have corners with buildings like that. this would also include agled zoning.

- bridges at any angle.

- less of the unsuitable grade for construction bullshit.

- pedestrian malls. i'd love to be able to build a city entirely without cars. just public transit and pedestrian only streets.

- seasons. i'm tired of having all of my cities be in california. i want there to be seasons.

i'll think of more later.

Old Posted Jun 14, 2004, 2:13 AM

Diaganol Bridges.

Underwater Tunnels. (Not having to exploit a bug to do it.)

Undeground Power Lines.

The ability to export/import Garbage, Energy, Water to towns that don't necessarily border the specific town.

Light Rail (Seriously, I don't think Rush Hour needed both Elevated and Monorail) How about the ability to put LRT in the middle of avenues?

Get rid of the direction specific zones. (Just be able to zone an area without having to worry about the size and shape of the zone blocks. And as biguc said, funny shaped lots as well)

ROADS THAT CAN GO AT DIFFERENT ANGLES!! (i.e., being able to drag it to any angle you want.. Not just 45 degree increments)

Edit: Also.. How about the ability to put roads directly under, and following, elevated rail, and elevated highways? not just crossing..

Old Posted Jun 14, 2004, 4:22 AM
Building.master

There's two thing only I want to see for Sim City5:

One...
The capability to be in your city, and when you make a conection with a neighbor, to be albe to see where to make the conecton in order to make all sim nation a better place to live.
And...
To be albe to see you city from the eyes of one of you sims, to see it as I look a building when I go next to a tall biulding.

Old Posted Jun 14, 2004, 3:02 PM
Red October standing by

I thought of two more this morning;

1. Ability to rezone buildings; like convert existing buildings from Residential to Commercial, make lofts out of industrial looking buildings, old houses into small offices, etc...

2. Ability to subdivide lots without destroying the buildings...like being able to build on the grass that's part of the 4x4 mansions, and leave the house standing.

-

-fflint

Old Posted Jun 15, 2004, 2:01 AM

more landmark, stuff you guys said, and realistic costs - in the millions and billions. for example, paving a square of road should cost $1,000 and the city budget should for a city with 500,000 people should be like a billion.

also, sport teams, more ordinances, and cities can host world events by building venues and facilities....for example, the Summer and Winter olympics and Expo Worlds Fairs. Also, we can create realistic mountains and we can build ski resorts on top of mountains and down below, a metropolis......

Old Posted Jun 15, 2004, 6:20 AM

those are excellent ideas lsyd.

i like your events idea x2.

i was just thinking today that it would be cool if your city could get windfalls, like somebody striking oil. it would make more money for your city and be a bit of a lucky stroke.

Old Posted Jun 15, 2004, 2:41 PM
Red October standing by

some great ideas here.

-

-fflint

Old Posted Jun 16, 2004, 9:41 AM

I would like an option of developing a city in different time periods, with varying levels of technology. For an example, 18th Century France, Late 19th/Early 20th century US, 21st Century Tokyo, etc. etc. Also the ability to place more regulations/laws regarding transportation and growth. I want a car free city! and all of the things mentioned already.

Old Posted Jun 16, 2004, 10:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by biguc
- free camera movement. with the 3d engine you would be able to fly the camera around anywhere. you could see your city from any angle or any location. that would be sweet.
I've always wanted that, It would be great!

- At the very least you should be able to see your city's skyline from certain locations.

- I'd want far more style of building too.

- And the option to undo a demolition would be useful, on several occasions i've accidently highlighted a building for demolition and can't undo it. It sucks.

- Smarter sims, It's annoying when I spend loads building a subway and a highway between places but still get abandonment due to commute time because they don't use the mass transit!. Stupid sims don't go the fastest way!

Old Posted Jun 16, 2004, 6:14 PM

yeah, and lots of the time they'll drive through a bunch of side streets, instead of a highway, because the distance is marginally shorter. fools.

your undo demolition idea is good. i'd also like to have a way that you could cancel your road construction once you've dragged it out, but not let go yet. that would be handy. it bothers me how it can waste money doing that shit.

Old Posted Jun 16, 2004, 11:12 PM

biguc, you can press esc before you let go and it will cancel any zoning/road building

Old Posted Jun 16, 2004, 11:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fangorangutang
I would like an option of developing a city in different time periods, with varying levels of technology. For an example, 18th Century France, Late 19th/Early 20th century US, 21st Century Tokyo, etc. etc. Also the ability to place more regulations/laws regarding transportation and growth. I want a car free city! and all of the things mentioned already.

that would be cool!

.....and i'm not sure if anybody said this but a 360 degree ground view of your city anywhere in your city.....also, more transit, utilities, safety (hospitals, fire, police), parks and recreations, enginnering/construction and gov't created jobs. plus, less abandoned buildings because that's not realistic, more landmarks, and many more style of buildings to choose from.

also, real amusement parks, attractions, and many more.....

Old Posted Jun 17, 2004, 1:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fangorangutang
biguc, you can press esc before you let go and it will cancel any zoning/road building

ah... well then.

Old Posted Jun 18, 2004, 1:41 PM

1. Separate bike trails with commuting functionality (i.e. allow Sims to make their "commutes" on bike trails)

2. Improve street labeling system -- right now, if you upgrade a street to a road, and there is a street label in that area, the label disappears. I'd also like to be able to designate regional highways and have them labeled/numbered on the region view.

3. More rewards. For example, extra radio/TV stations, a daily newspaper, various corporate HQs. Maybe allow one city per region to be a "capital city" and be the primary seat of government for that region. Stuff like that to keep it fresh.

4. Scalable public buildings. I like the sliding scale funding, but I'd also like to be able to build my schools and hospitals vertically when needed, instead of eating more horizontal space.

Other people's ideas that I agree with...

* Twisty roads
* Be able to partially demolish a zone (e.g., get rid of a parking lot or yard but keep the building)
* Put bus stops on the sidewalk, put subways under buildings, instead of hogging an entire tile
* Be able to toggle views to only see public buildings, only see libraries, only see elementary schools, etc.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Urban Art > Skyscraper & Urban Art