HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations

Old Posted Jul 24, 2013, 9:17 PM
life is good

Yeah, I was sad when they tore down that church to put in the faux-historic school buildings. Glad the school invested in that neighborhood, though.

Old Posted Jul 24, 2013, 9:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eightball View Post
Yeah, I was sad when they tore down that church to put in the faux-historic school buildings. Glad the school invested in that neighborhood, though.
It was a little unusual that a replica of the original Holy Cross School was built.....but I'm not complaining! you're RIGHT it's great to see that the neighborhood was invested in and I hope (I haven't been there in 3 years) it continues to make a dramatic comeback We would call the old church the starship enterprise for obvious reasons but other that the tripod above the alter it was a well thought out space that had little to do with flashbacks to Star Trek......One generations treasure is the next generations trash (in the architectural world)

Old Posted Jul 25, 2013, 12:28 AM
-

These are reasons why I hope the World Trade Center survives and city hall moves to chairty. Lots of good buildings being saves. Some being saved now include the Plaza Tower, Baronne Plaza, Texaco Building on Canal and the old Pan Am Insurance building on Canal that will become part of the VA Complex. Even the Blue Plate Complex is a nice example. So we arent doing all that bad if the rest of these projects go through.

Another article on the airport and the architectual team.

http://www.airportsinternational.com...ZMz2Z.facebook

Old Posted Jul 25, 2013, 4:13 PM

Elks Place to be developed into 100 luxury apartments, called 100 Elk.

http://neworleanscitybusiness.com/bl...lace-building/

Old Posted Jul 25, 2013, 4:26 PM
-

Nice to see another building close to mine getting redeveloped as well. They will be putting a really nice rooftop deck and pool on this one too.

Heres their permit:

144 Elk Pl·Renovation (Structural) ·Permit #13-14680-RNVS ·Ref Code: SVPQ1Y
Download (7) Print Summary Add to Watch List
Type:
Renovation (Structural)
Applicant:
THE LEMOINE COMPANY,LLC
Permit Issued
Date Filed:
5/10/2013 3:28:05 PM
Closed:
No
Description
Convert vacant office building to apartments with commercial uses on the 1st floor per plans.

Applicant:
THE LEMOINE COMPANY,LLC
Contractors:
THE LEMOINE COMPANY,LLC, Coleman Partners Architects, LLC
Expires:
11/10/2013 12:00:00 AM
Division:
SP
Subdivision:
Council District:
B
Area:
Next Status:
Inspections Finaled
Next Status Date:
3/28/2014 12:00:00 AM
Next Inspection:
Inspection Date:
Next Inspector:
Total Fees:
Unpaid Fees:
Final Date:
Days Open:
Days Issued:
Filing Date:
5/10/2013 12:00:00 AM

Old Posted Jul 25, 2013, 4:57 PM

That is fantastic news about Pelli being involved with the airport. He has done some fantastic work. Hopefully the new airport will be appealing looking and (even more important) well designed functionally.

Old Posted Jul 25, 2013, 5:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbs2886 View Post
Elks Place to be developed into 100 luxury apartments, called 100 Elk.

http://neworleanscitybusiness.com/bl...lace-building/
Good News, Unfortunately City Business doesn't take the article too far unless you own a subscription......Thanks to the Baton Rouge business Report there is a little more available to read online
http://www.225batonrouge.com/daily-r...wn_New_Orleans

Thanks for the post on Ceasr Pelli (Tennis) we're on the same page when it comes to preservation......I'd like to see our Father's and Grandfathers's buildings remain standing (unless if it is beyond repair or hasn't any real architectural significance.) I have seen some very unadorned shotguns for sale by the PRC and think these would have been better off demolished and rebuilt using the same cypress, pine, windows doors etc .........at least something that has proper and substantial architectural articulation and unique proportion NO is known for!!! forgive me PRC!!!!!!

Old Posted Jul 25, 2013, 5:23 PM
life is good

Glad to hear about another hi-rise coming back in to use, but that's crazy that it has seven floors of parking! What a waste! We really need more car-free residents in New Orleans. You could fit a ton more tax-paying residents in that building if the parking were greatly reduced...

Old Posted Jul 25, 2013, 5:59 PM
-

Quote:
Glad to hear about another hi-rise coming back in to use, but that's crazy that it has seven floors of parking! What a waste! We really need more car-free residents in New Orleans. You could fit a ton more tax-paying residents in that building if the parking were greatly reduced...
It is a lot of parking floors but its a narrow building footprint so it isn't as many spots as you would think.

Old Posted Jul 25, 2013, 8:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tennis1400 View Post
It is a lot of parking floors but its a narrow building footprint so it isn't as many spots as you would think.
"Wampold said the building, which was built in 1975, is not historic and that he did not use tax credits to purchase the property or fund its conversion.
“This allows us to make renovations how we want on the interior and exterior,” Wampold said. “We had considered carving out condos, but we made the decision to own it out right and rent units out.”
Apartment rents will be set at market rate, which ranges from $794 to $1,200 per month for all of metro New Orleans according to the most recent multi-family housing report from Larry G. Schedler and Associates.
Wampold said amenities will include a rooftop pool and fitness center. He hopes the building’s location will attract the incoming work force at University Medical Center and the Veterans Affairs Hospital, along with current Central Business District and French Quarter workers."

Old Posted Jul 25, 2013, 9:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reverend_Cletus View Post
"Wampold said the building, which was built in 1975, is not historic and that he did not use tax credits to purchase the property or fund its conversion.
“This allows us to make renovations how we want on the interior and exterior,” Wampold said. “We had considered carving out condos, but we made the decision to own it out right and rent units out.”
Apartment rents will be set at market rate, which ranges from $794 to $1,200 per month for all of metro New Orleans according to the most recent multi-family housing report from Larry G. Schedler and Associates.
Wampold said amenities will include a rooftop pool and fitness center. He hopes the building’s location will attract the incoming work force at University Medical Center and the Veterans Affairs Hospital, along with current Central Business District and French Quarter workers."
(1) That rent seems low, a number of places are getting much higher rents; 1 bedrooms in Hibernia at $1600+ many times

(2) No tax credits? Not all of them are very limiting; needs a good tax lawyer! (im biased there!)

Old Posted Jul 26, 2013, 12:10 AM

Quote:

NO is such dense city, little land to expand so every square ft is fairly valuable,
It's actually a good thing to have a parking garage in the building otherwise there would be a need for surface parking.........and that's what NO is trying to get rid of with the newer developments. I think one of the gripes with the new LSU hospital is that it will have too much surface parking.

Old Posted Jul 26, 2013, 2:46 AM
TL;DR

I dream of parking-free residential buildings but we need better transit and access to shopping/entertainment without cars. So long as Metairie hogs all the retail, city dwellers will demand cars.

Old Posted Jul 26, 2013, 8:36 AM

Good to see another building being put into use. This will add alot more vibrancy to that section of the CBD, and probably help the retail aspect out for both this development and the Saratoga Lofts just a block down.

Old Posted Jul 26, 2013, 11:39 AM
life is good

Quote:
Originally Posted by ardecila View Post
I dream of parking-free residential buildings but we need better transit and access to shopping/entertainment without cars.
This is what I was getting at. I know better transit is a long term thing but its being worked on. Really, if the bikeshare system was up and running and a decent sized car share network many more would be able to go car-free, freeing up space for humans.

And the retail situation has improved dramatically. What do you really need that you can't get in Orleans Parish (or have delivered?) Plus there is a grocery store downtown now so folks downtown are set.

Old Posted Jul 26, 2013, 3:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nolacat157 View Post
The old St John Vianney High School was just torn down there but I havent seen plans for anything to be built at that site.
The parcel is on the market for $825,000.

Old Posted Jul 26, 2013, 4:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ardecila View Post
I dream of parking-free residential buildings but we need better transit and access to shopping/entertainment without cars. So long as Metairie hogs all the retail, city dwellers will demand cars.
I think along with that new World Class Airport, We need a World Class Mass Transit system that is reliable, efficient and relatively easy to use. Maybe this could be another goal to reach for the 300th anniversary of NO

This map shows the streetcar lines crisscrossing the city in 1904. I would hope as the population of NO grows and (hopefully) the economy moves away from being so dependent on tourism (and more substantial paying jobs break the strong divide between wealth and poverty in the city) (yup, I'm dreaming) we could return to a healthy system of public transit. More tracks were added in the following 25 years as the city grew

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Ne...aysJan1904.jpg

Last edited by ptalt51; Jul 28, 2013 at 6:05 PM. Reason: to add a link

Old Posted Jul 26, 2013, 8:13 PM

I think our great grandfather's were more forward thinking when it came to mass transit than we are today.

Last edited by ptalt51; Jul 28, 2013 at 6:09 PM. Reason: hmmmm.....I really dunno

Old Posted Jul 29, 2013, 3:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ptalt51 View Post
I think our great grandfather's were more forward thinking when it came to mass transit than we are today.
Our great grandfathers had Mustangs that pooped, not backfired.
The city is headed in that direction.

Old Posted Jul 29, 2013, 4:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by annie himself View Post
Our great grandfathers had Mustangs that pooped, not backfired.
The city is headed in that direction.
Please, elaborate.........share your perspective!!!

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations