HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Texas & Southcentral > Austin

View Poll Results: Which do you like?
CMG/Public 8 50.00%
MVVA/Phifer 2 12.50%
Turenscape/Flato 5 31.25%
Workshop/Rogers 1 6.25%
Voters: 16. You may not vote on this poll

Old Posted Sep 20, 2012, 5:14 AM
~Hook'em~

Which Waller Plan Poll!

So I am going to try to make a poll just for fun. It may or may not work. If not then just say what you like. I'm not going to include a "none" option as one of these 4 will be built. Please vote, and if you would like please say what you liked best about the one you voted for.

Here is the website for the competition: The Waller Creek Conservancy Design Competition Final Four

The teams are grouped teams. All 4 groups (teams) have local firms joined with the top architectural firms in the world. This is a massive project that every major firm in the world tried to get in on, starting with 9 teams and now down to 4 and before the holidays the one winner.

Waller Creek runs from North Austin through UT and down to Lady Bird Lake. Currently under construction and new tunnel is being dug from Waterloo Park (Between Brackenridge/Erwin Center and the State Capitol) to Lady Bird Lake. The tunnel will operate as a flood tunnel during times of flooding, and during normal times it brings water from the lake to Waterloo Park to keep the creek running well. It will be finished in 2015.

Below are the 4 plans for what to do with the creek itself. I will post their descriptions along with a link to their PDF and a spoiler with large size images. Some have maps some don't. But from the descriptions if you are familiar with Austin you should have no problem with the ones w/o maps. Click on the images to see larger versions.

CMG/Public: http://wallercreek.org/finalfour/dow...pt_Summary.pdf

Description:

MVVA/Phifer: http://wallercreek.org/finalfour/dow...pt_Summary.pdf

Description:

Turenscape/Flato: http://wallercreek.org/finalfour/dow...pt_Summary.pdf

Description:

Workshop/Rogers Marvel: http://wallercreek.org/finalfour/dow...pt_Summary.pdf

Description:

Last edited by BevoLJ; Sep 20, 2012 at 5:35 AM.

Old Posted Sep 20, 2012, 5:38 AM
~Hook'em~

I updated the images to show maps for each.

Old Posted Sep 20, 2012, 6:30 AM
Rundberg & I35

Like the first and third. Whichever one interacts with the urban space of downtown is the one I want. It's hard to tell though from the info we have here which one that is. The fourth proposal is horrific.

Old Posted Sep 20, 2012, 8:29 PM
Representing the ATX!!!

The first one is my favorite by far. I originally liked the second one but after getting a better look the first one seems to be the most ambitious and something Austin does not have. The Lake Flato design as I stated before is basically a glorified version of the hike and bike trail. Remember this is an urban creek that is already in an urban setting. Lets make the most out of that and create a truly international destination.

Old Posted Sep 21, 2012, 2:09 AM

I told you Jdawg, but now I'm starting to change my mind and like the second one better. Overall the first one is better imo but its so hard to pass up on a pedestrian bridge. East of 35 is going to hopping more and more with pedestrian traffic and it would be great to have another viable option to cross the river rather than have to go all the way down to pleasant valley.

Old Posted Sep 21, 2012, 2:18 AM
~Hook'em~

Both the first and second (CMG & MVVA) have pedestrian bridges across Lady Bird.

Old Posted Sep 21, 2012, 2:22 AM

Well that argument isnt as crucial since 35 has a lot of room for pedestrian crossing....so i go back to the first one anyway

Old Posted Sep 21, 2012, 3:27 AM

Number four seemed the most attractive to me..It was the only one not designed to be a "kiddie city"..It's DT Austin!!!! Leave the kids at home.

End

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Texas & Southcentral > Austin