HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces

Old Posted Jan 20, 2012, 12:27 AM

Interesting article in the local paper today, basically Joan Burke's outlook for 2012 and her next term in office. As I'm sure was evident in the election thread, I am not a fan of Burke at all, however, she is in and for the first time in 8 years has actually said something pertaining to development. In last year's budget consultations, when asked what she would like to see investment in within her district, her answer was nothing. Now, all of a sudden she has a shopping list. If she comes through on any of this, I'll walk up the street and hug the woman.

Burke Sets Sights on New College Headquarters, Courthouse - Frank Gale, The Georgian, January 18, 2012
Quote:

During her current four-year mandate, Minister Burke has sights set on moving ahead several large projects, including a new college headquarters and a new courthouse in Stephenville. She wants to see government proceed on both of those.

http://www.thegeorgian.ca/News/2012-...C-courthouse/1

I've quoted the short paragraph pertaining to the courthouse and college HQ. The article also discusses items such as the airport, salmon hatchery, realignment of route 460, route 490 bridge work, and Codroy Valley bridge work.

For those who don't know, the current courthouse is a converted barracks on the old Harmon Air Base. It is 3 storeys tall and has no elevator or ground floor entrance (1st floor is 6 feet up for some reason). Currently if a person with disabilities has to go to court the proceedings need to be relocated to one of the hotels, which is expensive for numerous reasons. Not to mention other services offered within the building are completely inaccessable to the disabled.

Old Posted Feb 5, 2012, 11:28 PM

Interesting article from the Western Star a few days ago:

Quote:
Mike O’Leary has an idea that could fill a void in the housing market in the area.

The Newfoundland-born real estate developer who now lives in Florida is proposing to build a 94-lot housing development on the outskirts of Hughes Brook...
http://www.thewesternstar.com/Busine...Hughes-Brook/1

Can't say I'm a fan, and neither are a lot of people in the Bay of Islands/Humber Valley. Most concerns stem from the fact that this is currently classified as agricultural land, something we don't have a whole lot of in this province. Time, energy and money would be better spent developing areas within the city itself, especially in the Humbermouth area and on the west side near the University, great location for condos too. I must admit the last time someone tried to build condos in Corner Brook people thought they were Newfoundland housing and would destroy property values, so that probably won't happen. The other thing is the price of these homes. $250,000 as a modest price for a 1200 sq. ft. cottage? You can get a house in the city, with a view, for that same price with at least 2000 sq. ft.

Old Posted Feb 8, 2012, 8:18 PM

Just thought it would be interesting to see how the larger municipalities stack up outside of the Avalon Peninsula. So, starting in the east and heading west:

Clarenville: 6,036 up from 5,274 (14.4%)
Gander: 11,054 up from 9,951 (11.1%)
Grand Falls-Windsor: 13,725 up from 13,558 (1.2%)
Corner Brook: 19,886 down from 20,083 (-1.0%)
Stephenville: 6,719 up from 6,588 (2.0%)
Happy Valley-Goose Bay: 7,552 down from 7,572 (-0.3%)
Labrador City: 7,367 up from 7,240 (1.8%)

CAs:
Corner Brook: 27,202 even with 27,194 (0.0%)
Grand-Falls Windsor: Same as Municipal.

Really suprised by Gander. I expected over 10,000 but in no way did I expect them to eclipse the 11 mark. Good showing to Grand Falls on the heels of their mill closure, coming in with a neat little increase. Corner Brook is down a shade, mostly I think due to cut backs at the mill there. They have had 2 machines shut down, which equates to about 200 jobs, over the past 4 years. Stephenville goes from 8th biggest decrease (in terms of percentage) in the country in 2006 to a 2% increase (Go us!), and how about Clarenville adding 800 and cracking the 6000?

Disappointed by the Labrador West numbers though. I guess not many people are considering themselves permanent residents of the communities, but rather of their hometowns on the island or in Quebec. Regardless, there are definitely more than 7,300 people in Lab City as evidenced by the housing crunch and such.

http://www12.statcan.gc.ca/census-re...Geo2=0&Code2=0 - All statistics from Stats Canada, Census 2011.

Old Posted Feb 8, 2012, 10:54 PM
♒︎ Empirically Canadian

Clarenville and Gander are doing well, as well as Massey Drive.

I thought Lab City would have a larger increase, since there has been lots in the news about it.

Old Posted Feb 9, 2012, 1:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Architype View Post
Clarenville and Gander are doing well, as well as Massey Drive.

I thought Lab City would have a larger increase, since there has been lots in the news about it.
I was surprised by Lab City as well, Wabush didn't see a large increase either.

Old Posted Feb 23, 2012, 2:22 PM

Below is a link to a story written by The Western Star (posted on The Telegram's website) about the growth of Grenfell campus and its impact on the regional economy. Grenfell seems to be doing some great things!

http://www.thetelegram.com/Business/...ture-says-VP/1

Old Posted Mar 9, 2012, 1:23 AM

http://www.thewesternstar.com/News/L...roposed-plan/1

Quote:
Corner Brook’s proposed new municipal plan and development regulations are available for public viewing and feedback...
Corner Brook is updating their municipal plan and looking for feedback. All things considered, I'm suprised they're interested in public input given their recent actions as a council.

Old Posted May 1, 2012, 11:30 PM

Absolutely no activity on the Corner Brook hospital site and with just $1 million in the budget people are nervous about its future. A recent CBC Radio interview with a Western Health official hinted that the project may be shrunk and administration moved to another building, specifically the O'Connel Centre (which was the original Western Regional Hospital wayyyyyyy back when). The $1 million this year is predominantly for engineering and architectural work to figure what exactly they will be building. Interesting info.

Link to the audio of said interview: http://www.cbc.ca/video/#/Radio/Loca.../ID=2229325558

And in the spirit of the retail thread for St. John's, a little from the West Coast:

Deer Lake
-Burger King was rumoured to be opening in Deer Lake, but the sign advertising it was removed, so I've been told anyway.

Corner Brook
-Rossy, the department store chain supposed to replace Hart seem to have shelved their plans for a store in the Valley Mall, Corner Brook.
-The Body Shop is opening in Corner Brook, either Valley Mall or Corner Brook Plaza, not sure which.
-Many empty building on Broadway, the area needs serious revitalization. As does Smithville in the city centre.
-Zellers in the plaza has been picked up by Target

Stephenville
-Keeping with Rossy, they signed a lease for a 19,500 sq. ft store in the Stephenville Plaza.
-Wal-Mart is rumoured to be investigating a new store for Stephenville to replace their rather small 57,000 sq.ft. location in the mall.
-City Chrysler dealership is nearing completion on the Hansen Highway
-Shoppers Drug Mart moving to former Price Chopper space in the mall to open a 20,000 sq.ft. modern store (the one they have now is like a time machine to 1983, great in a nostalgic way)

Port-aux-Basques
-Rossy will be assuming the Hart lease for their store.

Old Posted May 2, 2012, 11:33 AM

I read somewhere recently that Grenfell will be starting up a full undergraduate program in physics this fall. This is great, not only does it increase enrollment but has the potential to attract more researchers to Grenfell, especially with the construction of the new telescope (largest in Atlantic Canada). Grenfell has made some big improvements in both infrastructure and programs in the past few years.

Old Posted May 3, 2012, 11:10 AM

I didn't catch it but I heard Tom Marshall was on CBC last week and said that the new Hospital is still going ahead. The problem is that the functional programmer estimated the building at about three times the initial budgeted cost. So gov't are waiting for planners to tell them what kind of building they want.

Did anyone see this interview?

Old Posted May 10, 2012, 8:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by statbass View Post
I read somewhere recently that Grenfell will be starting up a full undergraduate program in physics this fall. This is great, not only does it increase enrollment but has the potential to attract more researchers to Grenfell, especially with the construction of the new telescope (largest in Atlantic Canada). Grenfell has made some big improvements in both infrastructure and programs in the past few years.
I actually hadn't read that, but I went to their website and found it listed under their degree programs. Great move for sure. I actually know of a couple of guys who did their B.Sc. in Physics at Grenfell and have gone on to do their masters in St. John's I believe. I couldn't figure out how they managed to do it, now it make sense that it was probably a pilot to see if it could be done with such a small faculty. I studied history at Grenfell and have to say that it's a great school, you get to know your professors really well but there are major drawbacks when it comes to research, having virtually no resources on hand. Everything needs to be digital or sent for.

Old Posted May 25, 2012, 11:44 PM

Academic extension officially opened at Grenfell Campus

Source: www.mun.ca, May 25, 2012

Quote:
Representatives of the federal and provincial governments were joined by officials from Memorial University today to officially open the Arts and Science Extension at the Grenfell Campus, Memorial University.

The new extension adds academic, research, computer and meeting spaces to the campus infrastructure, including a new astronomical telescope and observatory. The $27.2-million extension to Grenfell Campus’ Arts and Sciences Building was funded by the federal and provincial governments. The Government of Canada contributed $7.975 million and the Government of Newfoundland and Labrador contributed $19.2 million.
http://today.mun.ca/news.php?news_id=7352

Old Posted May 28, 2012, 11:26 PM

The Western Star ran a 2 part article on the future of Corner Brook without the mill. I would link it up but transcontinental media's network is down altogether it seems. Anyway, a Corner Brook based economist was quoted as saying that should the mill close the city could see spinoff job losses amounting to 4000 less people working in the city than 10 years ago. It's a bit sensationalist considering the city has already lost a gypsum plant and Oceanex operations, but the bottom line is that it would hurt and there would be major job losses, obviously.

The real interesting topic discussed was the idea of becoming a college town similar to Wolfville or Antigonish, Nova Scotia. Again, they go over the idea of becoming a premiere liberal arts school. While I think that could be doable, it doesn't seem to be in Grenfell's vision to do so considering the money they have invested in science programs... this is what makes me roll my eyes. They keep talking about this liberal arts thing but keep spending on science and promoting their theatre program. It's like Memorial can't decide what to do with Grenfell. A couple of years ago there was talking of becoming independent from MUN and to do so it was decided to change the name to reflect more independence, and we received Grenfell Campus - MUN... they went the wrong way with it. Grenfell is improving but totally lacks any sense of vision or cohesive plan.

Old Posted Jun 15, 2012, 11:54 PM

Stephenville Moving in Right Direction: Mayor
Frank Gale - The Georgian/The Western Star
http://www.thegeorgian.ca/News/2012-...ection-mayor/1

Quote:
Mayor Tom O’Brien said there are four active files in relation to new industry...

...Using the smolt hatchery as a benchmark, he said one of the potential businesses would involve construction that is larger than the hatchery. Another would have the same number of jobs comparable to the hatchery (upwards of 12 full-time people work at the hatchery with 12 to 20 part-time workers). And one of the others would create up to 50 jobs...

...the town will soon be requesting proposals for a new Minnesota Drive subdivision...This will be a phased-in development, which will eventually have 150 residential lots and four hectares of commercial space...

Ths 150 lots and 4 ha of commericial space would be the largest residential development since the mid 70s and the largest commericial development ever. So I had a little fun and will try to show some of why this is awesome for my little town that I don't get to spend as much time in as I would like to anymore (and I obviously have some sort of strange affinity for).

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

The section(s) outlined in:
Orange: The area proposed for residential/commercial development
Red: Hospital and health related offices/administration
Blue: College of the North Atlantic buildings, both classroom and office space
Pink: Middle School
Green: recreational areas (soccer, baseball, playgrounds, pool, gyms, tennis etc...)
Gray: Current residential area under development

Most of the residential development taking place now is west of this zoomed in sattelite image. Most industrial operations and new development is to the east. Naturally this creates havoc at 4:30 each day and traffic gets backed up from Main/Queen in the lower left to Carolina Ave in the centre as people drive East-West to get home. Minnesota Drive can handle much more traffic than it currently has, so this could help alleviate the twice daily bottle neck that is trying to get to the "Base" side of town, if workers relocate to this new subdivison. And it could help bring down the ridiculous price of building lots ($50-$60,000 for a LOT in rural NL? How the hell am I supposed to eventually move home?)

Old Posted Aug 4, 2012, 7:43 PM

More work from Todd Saunders - a Torngâsok Cultural Centre in Nain which I like.
(sorry if this has been posted)
http://www.saunders.no/work/item/89-...ultural-centre
http://www.thetelegram.com/News/Loca...d-rebuilding/1

Old Posted Aug 5, 2012, 2:20 AM
♒︎ Empirically Canadian

^ Exceptionally beautiful design, Nfld needs more of that.

Old Posted Nov 6, 2012, 6:52 PM

I don't know if anyone on here is from Corner Brook or in Corner Brook but I'd love to see this thread come back to life.. I'm sure there are lots of developments happening around the province, I know there are some interesting ones on Fogo Island

What's happening in Corner Brook right now? I remember reading somewhere that there were some issues with the public transit
The new ads for Grenfell campus are absolutly great!

If anyone is there currently maybe you could upload some photos even of the city and Downtown etc to show the current situation as well as of any developments happening

Old Posted Nov 6, 2012, 7:02 PM

Here's the Grand Falls winsor Downtown Redevelopment plan

Quote:
About the Project
The Downtown Revitalization of High Street, Grand Falls is part of a larger multi-year development that involves access to the Exploits River gorge and associated housing and park developments. The intent is to support economic development and enhanced quality of life for residents. The developments will also greatly support the growing tourism trade in the area. High Street was completed in the summer of 2011 and the results have enhanced what was already a very attractive Town.
It says completion date for 2011
did this project happen? or is it still happening?

It reminds me of centennial square in mount pearl

Nice little round about in there too

http://www.tractconsulting.com/portf...elopment-plan/

Old Posted Nov 6, 2012, 7:06 PM
I ♣ Baby Seals

Looks good. And Grand Falls-Windsor doesn't have much of a downtown as it is, so it would be a great improvement.

Old Posted Nov 6, 2012, 7:14 PM

Heading up North

Damage Assessment on Hospital to Start Soon
Quote:
Officials are awaiting clearance to get into the Captain William Jackman Memorial Hospital in Labrador City to assess smoke and water damage caused by a nearby 108-unit apartment fire on the weekend. A Labrador-Grenfell spokesperson says until officials are allowed into the building, it's hard to know the full extent of damage done to the hospital. In the meantime, temporary services have been set up at the Salvation Army Citadel where 9 patients are currently receiving care. Meanwhile, work on the new hospital continues with construction expected to be completed by next December and the official opening slated for the spring of 2014.
Acting Mayor Karen Oldford told VOCM Open Line with Randy Simms the fire scene has now been passed over to the RNC to begin their investigation. Oldford says efforts to save the hospital may have caused extensive damage to the building, but the full extent is not yet known. Oldford says in the meantime, the need for housing remains.
Meanwhile, the weekend fire is having a direct impact on IOC's recruitment efforts. The apartment building would have accommodated new hires, ready to start work at the end of the month. The director of external relations with IOC, Heather Bruce-Veitch, says the workers would have replaced a hundred workers who are set to retire.
Bruce-Veitch says they are in the process of trying to figure out their next move, but for now, recruitment is on hold.
http://www.vocm.com/newsarticle.asp?...28096&latest=1

sad that this fire happened.. apparently there is a big housing problem.

fortunatly for would be tenants that this was still under construction and not occupied

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces