HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Midwest

Old Posted Dec 13, 2009, 3:21 AM
BANNED

^ Thanks for the recommendations, I will definitely check a couple out.

Old Posted Dec 17, 2009, 7:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rrskylar View Post
^What is this infatuation with crappy chain restaurants amongst forum members in Fargo? By the way I will be in Fargo in January, please name a couple of good places to eat, I was grossed out by the food at the new Mexican Village and at Golden Corral on my last visit.
Golden Corral might be the worst chain I have ever ate at. rrskylar you should have said something, I would have warned you.

Old Posted Dec 30, 2009, 6:18 AM
still here

Cass County is the best place for jobs in the USA

http://money.cnn.com/galleries/2009/...mag/index.html

12/29/2009
Back to Newsroom

Fargo-Moorhead Area Named to 10 best places for jobs list

We looked at Money's top 100 Best Places to Live and found these lucky towns that also enjoy jobless rates far below the 10% national average.

1. Cass County, N.D.

The home of Fargo is not nearly as eerie as the Coen Brothers would have you believe. It's actually a bustling community with friendly neighbors and job opportunities.

"People do not move here because of the nightlife or the weather," explains Brian Walters, president of the Greater Fargo Moorhead Economic Development Corporation. "The main selling points are good jobs, low unemployment and a welcoming community feeling." According to Walters, new job opportunities are luring more families to the northern state.

Cass County is the central hub for the surrounding area's health care, retail, manufacturing and educational needs. While the biggest employers have traditionally been concentrated in farm and construction equipment manufacturing, tech companies like Microsoft are now breaking ground alongside John Deere and Bobcat.

By Jessica Dickler

http://www.fargomoorhead.org/fmnews/index.php?id=170

Old Posted Dec 30, 2009, 6:19 AM
still here

Also FM showed high rankings for men and women

12/29/2009
Back to Newsroom

Fargo-Moorhead men, women receive high marks in health magazines

FARGO — Snow and cold may test the resolve of people living here, but Fargo received high marks for its livability and health of its residents.

The city ranks as the fourth best city for men and sixth best city for women in the latest issues of Men’s Health and Women’s Health magazines.

The magazines ranked 100 metropolitan areas across the country. To see the top 10 and bottom 10 cities for men and women, see below.

To determine which cities were the most male and female-friendly, the magazines’ editors factored in 35 key criteria, including air quality, employment, life expectancy, commute times, death rates from more than a half dozen causes, the propensity of men and women to become overweight, and the ratio of singles of each gender.

The rankings are part of the January/February issues of both magazines, which were released on newsstands last week.

Other than Fargo, there were six other cities receiving high marks for both men and women: Minneapolis, Madison, Wis., Salt Lake City, Utah, Lincoln, Neb., San Jose, Calif., and Seattle.

In its ranking for Fargo, Men’s Health said “few men … die of diabetes because of their penchant for running in races and marathons. Joining a pack in your town for five 30-minute runs a week has been shown to slash diabetes risk by 58 percent.”

Minneapolis, which ranked fifth for women in Women’s Health, has “one of the lowest breast-cancer death rates, which may be attributed to the fact that the city has the fourth-highest number of female joggers. Regular workouts may help prevent the disease by lowering levels of estrogen and other hormones, which have been linked to the formation of breast tumors. Aim for 45 minutes of exercise five days a week,” the magazine reports.

10 Best Cities for Men

1) Seattle, WA

2) Madison, WI

3.) San Jose, CA

4) Fargo, ND

5) Burlington, VT

6) Manchester, NH

7) Minneapolis, MN

8) Salt Lake City, UT

9) Lincoln, NE

10) Austin, TX

10 Worst Cities for Men

91) Toledo, OH

92) St. Petersburg, FL

93) Louisville, KY

94) Charleston, WV

95) Memphis, TN

96) St. Louis, MO

97) Detroit, MI

98) Jacksonville, FL

99) Philadelphia, PA

100) Birmingham, AL

10 Best Cities for Women

1) San Jose, CA

2) Madison, WI

3) Seattle, WA

4) Aurora, CO

5) Minneapolis, MN

6) Fargo, ND

7) San Francisco, CA

8) Lincoln, NE

9) Salt Lake City, UT

10) Colorado Springs, CO

10 Worst Cities for Women

91) New Orleans, LA

92) Baltimore, MD

93) Jacksonville, FL

94) Oklahoma City, OK

95) Toledo, OH

96) St. Louis, MO

97) Detroit, MI

98) Memphis, TN

99) Birmingham, AL

100) Philadelphia, PA

http://www.fargomoorhead.org/fmnews/index.php?id=169

Old Posted Jan 1, 2010, 7:45 PM
still here

http://www.facebook.com/FargoMoorhea...id=52293954781

Found this neat shot of the skyline

Old Posted Jan 2, 2010, 4:15 AM
still here

Newsroom
12/18/2009
Back to Newsroom

Fargo-Moorhead Tops Most Secure Places to Live in the U.S.

LOS ANGELES, Dec. 17 /PRNewswire/ -- In this time of economic uncertainty, a safe and secure environment in which to live, work and raise a family has become an even greater priority to many Americans.

According to the sixth annual Most Secure U.S. Places to Live rankings from Farmers Insurance Group of Companies®, The Fargo (N.D.)-Moorhead (Minn.) area is the most secure mid-size U.S. city.

The rankings, compiled by database experts at www.bestplaces.net, took into consideration crime statistics, extreme weather, risk of natural disasters, housing depreciation, foreclosures, air quality, terrorist threats, environmental hazards, life expectancy and job loss numbers in 379 U.S. municipalities. The study divided the communities into three groups: large metropolitan areas, mid-size cities and small towns.

Read the entire article and view the entire list here http://ca.sys-con.com/node/1225561

http://www.fargomoorhead.org/fmnews/index.php?id=165

Old Posted Jan 2, 2010, 4:20 AM
still here

From that above article here were the other mid-sized city results

Mid-Size Cities (150,000 - 500,000 residents)

1. Fargo, N.D.-Moorhead, Minn.
2. Olympia, Wash.
3. Sioux Falls, S.D.
4. Bellingham, Wash.
5. Rochester, Minn.
6. Kennewick-Richland-Pasco, Wash.
7. Lynchburg, Va.
8. St. Cloud, Minn.
9. Duluth, Minn.-Superior, Wis.
10. Las Cruces, N.M.
11. Bremerton-Silverdale, Wash.
12. Killeen-Temple, Texas
13. Charlottesville, Va.
14. Provo-Orem, Utah
15. Fayetteville-Springdale-Rogers, Ark.
16. Green Bay, Wis.
17. Fort Collins-Loveland, Colo.
18. Boulder, Colo.
19. Yakima, Wash.
20. Yuma, Ariz.

View the complete lists at http://ca.sys-con.com/node/1225561

Old Posted Jan 4, 2010, 4:54 PM
still here

Published January 04 2010
Moorhead power plant ideas sought
By: Dave Olson, INFORUM

Mark Chekola believes Moorhead still has time to create a new life for the city’s old power plant.

He said an open house set for Wednesday aims at keeping the brainstorming alive by encouraging feedback on a report released late in 2009 by the Moorhead Power Plant Study Group.

Chekola, the chairman of the study group, said one conclusion reached after a year of gathering public input was that the city “sit tight” for up to two years while ideas are sought and discussed.

He said nothing has to be done right away because the city will need the plant as a backup source of power until about 2011.

Based on resident input, the study group concluded that people would like to see the building put to a public use, preferably as a gathering place for the community.

Chekola said some have suggested turning it into a venue for the performing arts, similar to the role Ralph’s Bar played in downtown Moorhead before the bar was torn down.

The study group has concluded that the city should hold off inviting any private proposals until all potential public uses have been explored, but Chekola acknowledged there are challenges to accomplishing the latter.

He said they include the shaky economic times and the lack of a key player coming forward who possesses the vision and resources to make a project happen.

Chekola said anyone who cannot attend Wednesday’s open house but wants to share comments can do so by going to the city’s Web site anytime after Wednesday.

The Web site can be found at www.cityofmoorhead.com.

If you go

•What: Open house hosted by the Moorhead Power Plant Study Group

•When: 4:30 to 6:30 p.m. Wednesday

•Where: Moorhead Center Mall fountain area

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Readers can reach Forum reporter Dave Olson at (701) 241-5555
http://www.inforum.com/event/article/id/264692/

http://www.inforum.com/event/image/i...power%20plant/

Old Posted Jan 14, 2010, 9:22 PM
still here

Hector International Airport set a 2009 record with nearly 700,000 people.

Old Posted Jan 16, 2010, 12:15 AM

New RRV Message Board

I don't mean to spam on this forum and if this message is inappropriate, I apologize, but I think some folks here might be interested...

I was unable to find a forum that discussed a wide range of topics that effect this region, the Red River Valley... and at any given point this area has something to talk about ... it floods, Roger Maris, NDSU, natural resources, Christmas blizzards, the greatest people in America, big time concerts, tornadoes, crooks and crimes and tons more that many want to discuss but there is no place for any of us to go to... The Forum is a joke and can't even host a message forum that is in realtime, allows morons to pollute their forums, and delay posts for undetermined times and that is for the SELECT few articles they allow you to even comment on... is this the best we have out there? It made me sick...I was surprised I could not find a place where people of the Red River Valley congregated to share their personal experiences and debate the topics of the day.

So I started a message forum for people of the RRV to have a real-time discussion of news and issues and share their personal experiences.

It is literally brand new so any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance and if this post is inappropriate, delete as necessary...

Link to forum here.

Old Posted Jan 19, 2010, 4:44 PM
BANNED

Checked out Famous Dave's last week while passing through Fargo. Food wasn't half bad and actually well prepared. If you can get by the shtick and food hauled around on trash can lids the place wasn't bad.

Surprised by the amount of snow in Fargo, more than twice what Winnipeg has received so far.

Not at all impressed with the suburban sprawl in south Fargo, what's with that isolated new Wal-mart, it was laughable to see sidewalks nears it's perimeter.

Old Posted Jan 19, 2010, 11:00 PM
still here

Well sorry that your experiences have been less than pleasureable. We can't really control the amount of snow we have so sorry about that.

Believe it or not, there will be other buildings by that Wal-Mart. It's the FIRST part of a master planned development called the District at Fargo. There will be a couple other big box stores, restaurants, office buildings, and an outdoor mall complete with sidewalks.

Old Posted Jan 20, 2010, 4:28 AM
BANNED

^ What I tried to get across was that the new Walmart is fairly isolated in relation to anything residential and I'm not sure this bodes well for the future nor does Fargo planning seem to do much to stop needless sprawl. Some of the new downtown development in Fargo is really positive.

Old Posted Jan 21, 2010, 3:28 AM

I enjoy running on the sidewalks by the new Walmart. On another note...Jalapeno's (Ramon Vazquez) is scheduled to open on Monday, January 25th. Panchero's second location will open in front of Walmart on 13th Avenue around March 2nd.

Old Posted Jan 22, 2010, 4:14 AM

Quote:
^ What I tried to get across was that the new Walmart is fairly isolated in relation to anything residential and I'm not sure this bodes well for the future nor does Fargo planning seem to do much to stop needless sprawl. Some of the new downtown development in Fargo is really positive.
umm nope, you must not have driven east or west on 52nd, you will find a LARGE concentration of Residential, everyone south of 32nd ave from Horace to the River will use that place and thats ALOT of people, Wal-Mart corp doesn't put stores in low traffic areas.

Old Posted Jan 22, 2010, 3:27 PM
BANNED

Well okay then, just out of curiosity have any of you checked out this city to the north?

Old Posted Jan 23, 2010, 2:54 PM

Quote:
Well okay then, just out of curiosity have any of you checked out this city to the north?

yep, and I'll head to Minneapolis anyday instead

Old Posted Jan 24, 2010, 12:12 AM
ʇɥƃıuʞ -*ʞpʇ*-

Quote:
Originally Posted by FMguy View Post
yep, and I'll head to Minneapolis anyday instead
not looking to start another flame just plan curiosity rskyler don't respond to his responce

umm curious why that is? plane curious is it just the boarder being a hassle or more then that?

better shot of the pegcity lol

anyhow looks forward to your responce.

Old Posted Jan 24, 2010, 5:56 AM

I think it means he likes Minneapolis over that option. People don't have to think like you.

www.UtahProjects.info

Old Posted Jan 24, 2010, 8:57 PM

Weird discussion

Winnepeg is wonderful. Minneapolis is marvelous. Fargo is fantastic.

All have Walsprawl. We're doing our best to increase density in the urban core, and, frankly, are doing as well or better than any small city in North America on that count. Walmart, on the other hand, is still building in the exurbs. Glad you enjoyed the BBQ. Come back in a few years, when that part of town fills out.

Take a look at some of the planning: http://www.upfargo.com

Come again!

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Midwest