HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Midwest

Old Posted Aug 5, 2006, 4:19 AM
FargoMoorhead comin at ya

I'd say though it's about on average with the rest of the metropolitan areas in the United States, but you need this kind of development to build part of an economy.

Old Posted Aug 5, 2006, 5:41 PM
Steel City USA

Hopefully you arent at the point that Pittsburgh and Cleveland are at. They are building strip malls everywhere. Its a shame to see older businesses being torn down to see another strip mall coming in.

Old Posted Aug 6, 2006, 1:44 AM
still here

Quote:
Originally Posted by NanoBison

This is the strip mall going up across the street from it.

Does anyone happen to know what might be moving into that??? It's located on one of the busiest sections of any street in Fargo, so I would hope it's more selections from the list that Smiley maintains...

I think it is only Western State Bank. I do not think it is another strip mall.

This is totally off subject but, I think that Fargo should tear down the Fargo Cinema Grill in downtown and build a 20+ Embassy Suites. I got the idea because Embassy is really nice and am suggesting this because right now I'm in Lake Tahoe (loving it by the way, colder then Fargo though. mid 70's) and saw their Embassy Suites and it's really nice. It's not tall but it is wide. I think Fargo is ready for Embassy.

Also, I have an idea about something that could go in south Fargo. I was thinking that the City of Fargo should build a 70 acre or so lake. I think it should be deep enough for pontoons or speed boats. With all the dirt they dig out for this unique shaped lake, they could make hills all around the lake. It could have nice mature trees along it and there would be huge houses/mansions all around the lake. It would be called Hillview Estates on Hillview Lake. Any ideas on this or Embassy. Come to think of it, Embassy could go on the lake. Anyways, what do you think.

Last edited by F-Misthebest; Aug 8, 2006 at 12:16 AM.

Old Posted Aug 9, 2006, 5:37 AM

Construction Updates

I was out and about today. I flashed a few more photos...I'm starting to realize why the camera was only $100. Not the greatest detail, but it will do for now. Anyways...

Another Shot of Alien Technology (It's Done)

NDSU Research Park : Technology Incubator Going Up

NDSU Candlewood Suites (In Research Park)

NDSU Student Wellness Center Expansion

Radisson Hotel Tower (Downtown Fargo) staring over my shoulder
while I wait for a train to go by...(It's one of Smiley's Fav Buildings)

Global Plaza (Going up near Playmakers...)
Supposed to be a retail center....I don't have any info yet...

Retail Complex at 25th St. and 13th Ave S.

Woodhaven Retail/Condo/Office Development
(This is the backside...I forgot to take a snapshot of the front)

The reason I wish I had a car that ran E-85...

That's it for today....

Old Posted Aug 9, 2006, 5:52 AM

Fargo-Moorhead : A Predominant Midwestern Player

This is a branch off of the other thread "What can Fargo-Moorhead do to become a major player in the Midwest? ". Here's one of the many reasons Fargo/Moorhead is a player in the Midwest :

I realize that if we didn't have Microsoft, we would still have Great Plains Software (purchase by Microsoft for $1.5 billion...). But becuase we now have the largest Microsoft campus, outside of Redmond, we tremendously benefit from the pull a company of that size has. It comes in the forms of great paying jobs for recent grads and other older workers, maintaining a large workforce of software/technologically minded people, more homes, larger homes, more business people flying into Hector International, more exposure, etc...

So if Microsoft is one of the cornerstones of our economy, what else do we have that would be extremely detrimental if it no longer existed.

Here's my top 5 :

0.) Microsoft (I'm a computer person so I get to start at 0)
1.) Educational System : NDSU/MSUM/Concordia (Research Park Included)
2.) Case / New Holland Manufacturing Plant - Bobcat/Phoenix International (All Heavy Agricultural Businesses)
3.) Marvin / Integrity Windows and the sector formed around them in the Fargo Industrial Park
4.) MeritCare Hospital
5.) Sugar Industry (Crystal, American)

In other words, if one of them left, Grand Forks might actually have a chance at surpassing us.

Anyone else have any thoughts? Or would like to add to that list?

Old Posted Aug 9, 2006, 6:30 AM

Moorhead Center Mall Under New Ownership !!!

Center Mall changes ownership
By Melinda Rogers, The Forum
Published Wednesday, August 09, 2006

The Moorhead Center Mall has a new majority owner.

After more than 30 years as the main proprietor of Moorhead’s flagship shopping center, TRE Investments this month transferred ownership to new managing partners Patrick Vesey and Kelly Zander.

Vesey and Zander, both private investors, said they want to bring energy to the mall so the shopping venue’s sales will increase.

“Our focus is to really work hard and take care of our retail tenants and to take care of our customers in the local community,” Vesey said.

The two own several pieces of real estate in Fargo-Moorhead, they said.

Winton Johnson of Moorhead-based TRE Investments, one of three partners who owned the mall, said the group decided to sell its portion of the mall’s ownership because of nearing retirement age.

Terms of the agreement between TRE Investments and Vesey and Zander were not disclosed.

The 216,000-square-foot mall, at 510 Center Ave., houses 37 tenants.

A 106,500-square-foot Herberger’s department store serves as the mall’s main anchor. Moorhead City Hall is also attached to the facility.

Nineteen owners, along with Vesey and Zander – who now own about 60 percent of the mall’s condominium units – have a stake in the venue.

The structure has presented challenges in that there has not been one single owner to make decisions such as offering business incentives to relocate in the mall, some tenants say.

Several mall tenants said Tuesday a change in ownership could give the mall a rebirth it desperately needs.

“We need some new blood,” said Bob Grantham, owner of His Styling Salon, a barbershop that’s been in the mall for 30 years.

“What you need is to have someone in here who has other interest in malls. We need another anchor store to bring more customers,” he said.

Jim Bjorklund, owner of Moorhead Drug, agreed new owners could bring revived energy to the mall.

The facility’s direction waned in recent years as Johnson’s managing partner, Ron Ohe, battled cancer and couldn’t dedicate as much time to the mall’s marketing and promotion.

Ohe died in 2005.

The Moorhead Center Mall has long played second fiddle to its competitor across the river, however. West Acres Shopping Center opened in 1972, the same year the Moorhead Center Mall was under construction.

Today that vibe can be felt from a simple glance at the mall’s marquee, which reads “Another Great Place to Shop.”

Mall Manager Kristi Ulrich said she believes good things are in store for the retail outlet’s future.

“We are thrilled. I think it’s going to bring new energy and excitement to downtown Moorhead,” she said.

Finally!!! Someone else is taking over and hopefully can breath some life into this sleeping giant. I'm happy someone finally agrees with me that the slogan "Another Great Place To Shop" is stupid and shows your second fiddle. Why do other businesses hurt their image by using this stupid jingles? I can think of some other stupid ones (Local Businesses in FM) :

"We really want your business" (No crap, really, are you sure???)
"King of the Road" (You have to watch local FM tv to get that one)
"A Furniture Store for Everyday Normal People" (Duh,duh,duh...yeah you wouldn't want Higher End clients...)
"Watch Us Make You Smile" (Ask people in FM what they think of their cable service...)

I could go on and on but I won't.

I hope the Moorhead Center Mall really takes off and becomes a real competitor for West Acres.

Old Posted Aug 9, 2006, 9:38 AM

My New Blog !!!

Just a quick note. I too, have started a blog. Don't worry Smiley, I'm not copying yours. Mine is the planning of what I'd like to see Fargo as by the year 2050. Big dreams, big hopes, big talk. It should be interesting.

http://fargo2050.blogspot.com/

Where is everyone? It's been kind of slow on the Fargo/Moorhead thread...

Old Posted Aug 9, 2006, 12:31 PM
Steel City USA

Well i think with FM being in Lake Tahoe doesnt help much with the thread being busy. We need the usual people to keep the thread at its original place. LOL its usually at the top of the Midwestern page everyday i get on. But with FM gone its like the 6th one down. I have been suprised. Anyway nice to see all the construction going on there in Fargo, Nano. Cant wait to get out there this weekend. I have not been home for the past 3 weekends. Last week i was in Philly visiting my brother. And the next couple of weeks i have to travel to Austin and Jacksonville because i got new job openings. Very excited. Dont know if i will make the move yet, and if i did it will be in November. Anyway nice pictures there, Nano. Its gonna be a road trip this weekend.

Old Posted Aug 10, 2006, 8:11 AM

Congrats Paintballer1708, you seem to be like an individual who is really on the move alot. Hope you enjoy Fargo when you come up, the MidContinent Conference (Division-I Athletics) was just up here for a overview of NDSU. We are hoping for admission (fingers crossed). They seemed to be quite pleased with the community from what I've seen so far on TV and the internet.

Old Posted Aug 10, 2006, 8:14 AM

This pic was taken by the Fargo Forum.
Just though it was funny to show North Dakota's (mainly
Fargo/Moorhead 's) two seasons.

Winter and of course,

Road Construction.

This is Highway 10 heading east out of town. This roadway
is heavily traveled by folks going to the lakes areas in Minnesota
every weekend in the summertime. Many people also commute into
the cities from smaller towns like Glyndon, Felton, Hawley...

Get In Line !!!

Old Posted Aug 10, 2006, 8:20 AM

Fargo Expanding Again

Planners back zoning growth
By Mike Nowatzki, The Forum
Published Thursday, August 10, 2006

Fargo planning commissioners voted unanimously Wednesday to protect the city’s growth options by extending its zoning jurisdiction a half-mile south to 112th Avenue South.

The City Commission must approve the change, which allows Fargo to take advantage of the full four miles of extraterritorial area allowed under North Dakota law.

The targeted land is now zoned agricultural. Fargo Senior Planner Jim Hinderaker said that won’t change unless a landowner requests it.

“We’re probably a number of years out before most of this area in the southern tier would be zoned anything other than ag,” he said.

Still, some rural residents in the affected area said they oppose any change that means they could eventually become part of Fargo.

Marilyn Tessier and her son Doug Tessier, who live in rural Stanley Township, said they will likely petition the city of Horace to annex their property.

“If Horace annexes it, it’s more of a small community,” Doug Tessier said.

Fargo Assistant City Attorney Erik Johnson told Tessier he has the right to petition Horace for annexation, but Fargo could protest and the matter could be resolved in mediation.

Horace and Fargo are already in mediation over who should get two sections of land between Horace and West Fargo.

In May, the Horace City Council voted to bring nearly five square miles of surrounding land into city limits, more than doubling the city’s size. Fargo city commissioners responded by voting to annex 795 acres east of Horace, including a strip of land along 57th Street that essentially stops Horace from annexing more land to the east between 52nd Avenue and 112th Avenue.

Horace Mayor John Goerger said his city has no plans to try to extend its extraterritorial area into Fargo’s proposed extraterritorial area.

“We’re not going on the other side of 57th (Street) down to 112th (Avenue),” he said.

Stanley Township now handles zoning for the land in Fargo’s proposed extraterritorial area, while Cass County handles subdivisions. If the extension is approved, residents will have to go through Fargo’s planning and building permit process.

The change will not affect their property taxes because they won’t be in Fargo city limits, Johnson said.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Thank goodness Fargo is taking steps to protect its future growth area. Horace pulled a fast on the city by annexing 5 sq miles previously. What the heck are they going to need that for??? Anyways, like the article says, they prevents Horace from expanding further east. Now they have to expand west. Fargo better get hopping on the northern sections of land before they get gobbled up by Reile's Acres and Harwood...

Old Posted Aug 10, 2006, 8:23 AM

Osgood shop site proposed
By Mike Nowatzki, The Forum
Published Thursday, August 10, 2006

The man proposing a major retail development near the Osgood Hornbacher’s in southwest Fargo showed the city’s Planning Commission on Wednesday how he plans to make it compatible with surrounding land uses.

Don Dabbert Jr., president of Contemporary Builders and Willow Creek Development Co., said he hopes to create a pedestrian-friendly retail area for residents of the Osgood and Woodhaven neighborhoods so they don’t always have to drive to 13th Avenue South to shop.

The 40-acre project would require the city to amend its growth plan to allow 30 acres for commercial use and the balance for multiple-dwelling housing. The land is now zoned for agriculture.

Dabbert’s plans call for retail – but not big-box retail, he said – between 45th and 47th streets and roughly 46th Avenue and 48th Avenue South. A financial institution is interested in one of the corner lots, he said.

A strip of row houses would provide a buffer between the retail area and an Osgood residential area platted across 47th Street.

Extensive landscaping, including trees along 45th Street, will be used to “mask” the retail area so it’s not as intrusive to the residential areas, Dabbert said.

“Not the sea of asphalt that we normally see,” he said.

The project is about twice the size of Dabbert’s Town Square commercial development just north of 40th Avenue South and 45th Street.

“We’re just trying to mitigate any fears and let people know and give them the information beforehand,” he said of Wednesday’s presentation.

Fargo Senior Planner Jim Hinderaker said planning staff want to ensure the type and scale of commercial structures is compatible with the surrounding land uses.

“We’re a little concerned about the entire 45th Street being a commercial strip development,” he said.

If the city approves the project, construction could start late this fall or early spring, Dabbert said.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------

Good to see that heavy landscaping will be incorporated into these types of developments. The last thing I, or the people living next to them, want to see is bare pavement and parking lots. Glad someone is setting standards higher for development!

Old Posted Aug 10, 2006, 10:26 PM
still here

Well I'm back from Lake Tahoe but not for long. I'm going to Valley Fair next weekend and then school starts on the 24th!!! But it looks like Nano has got it covered. I'm glad to hear that Paintballer is coming soon and glad to hear all the new developments. I'm glad to be back for the time being and also because I missed Fargo as well. Sure Lake Tahoe has the 1000 feet deep, alpine, clear, beautiful lake, and yeah, there's huge mountains surrounding it with the awesome 9 storey tall pine trees, but the flat farmland of Fargo is nice too. I'm glad to be back anyways.

P.S. Great Blog Nano. Give those Forkers up north a run for their money. !

Old Posted Aug 10, 2006, 11:15 PM
still here

When I was in Lake Tahoe I went to the Heavenly Shops. They had lot's of touristy shops but I think that it could be really nice in Fargo. Of course I would want it to be a lot larger with not as many (if any) touristy shops. I thought it was nice that there were shops on the first level and then on the next two storeys were hotel rooms by Marriott. I would hope if the District at the Lakes goes through (which I think it will. it will be up to the city this month I think. Nano? Smiley?) I would love to see some upscale with like Banana Republic would go great in there. I'm glad it would be large like 280 acres. There's also going to be lakes and offices. Sounds soooooooooooooooooo cool!

By the way, my photo thread of all the developments, the aerials, the downtowns, is coming along really nicely and will be done before winter (hopefully).

Last edited by F-Misthebest; Aug 10, 2006 at 11:22 PM.

Old Posted Aug 11, 2006, 2:15 AM

Does anyone know where Smiley went off to?

Old Posted Aug 11, 2006, 3:04 AM
still here

^ I really don't know. He's usually the one who posts the most information and I'm always excited when he posts something new.

Old Posted Aug 12, 2006, 6:15 PM
still here

Fargo’s Alien Tech plant on course
By Teri Finneman, The Forum
Published Saturday, August 12, 2006

Alien Technology’s manufacturing plant in Fargo is moving forward as scheduled and will be fully operational by October, company officials said this week.

The reassurance comes after the company announced last week it was withdrawing its initial public offering and amid rumors of what that meant for its Fargo operation.

The purpose of the IPO was to raise about $100 million to finance the company’s next major phase of growth, CEO Stavro Prodromou said in a phone interview from Morgan Hill, Calif.

An IPO is a corporation’s first offering of stock to the public.

However, various world events and conflicts created “a less than ideal time” to be in the “jittery” market, Prodromou said.

Not just from Alien’s point of view, but for many other companies that considered and tried to make an initial public offering in July,” he said, adding he’s heard more than 20 companies also withdrew IPOs.

As a result, Alien is exploring other financing alternatives, including private equity from current and new investors, he said. Alien raised more than $200 million in venture capital in the past.

In the meantime, the company has laid off an undisclosed number of employees – primarily at its Morgan Hill facility – and cut other expenses such as advertising to preserve cash, Prodromou said.

Alien reported a $210 million deficit as of March 31, with $42 million in working capital and $84 million in total assets, according to Securities and Exchange Commission documents.

The company has never been profitable and incurred net losses of $19.1 million in fiscal year 2003, $27.6 million in 2004 and $53 million in 2005, documents show.

Net loss for the first six months of fiscal year 2006 is $26.7 million, documents show.

Most of Alien’s deficit is the capital raised from venture investors that is shown on the books as a liability for the company to pay back, Prodromou said.

Funding for research and development programs, entry into the market and building facilities comes from that capital, he said.

“It’s both an investment as well as from a balance sheet point of view, the other side is it represents the accumulated deficit.”

A consortium of state and local banks and economic development agencies in North Dakota put together a $36 million financing package for Alien in 2003 after learning the company was interested in Fargo.

The package included low-interest loans, state and federal job training programs and private sector funds.

Alien has used about a quarter of that amount, or under $10 million, Prodromou said.

The Bank of North Dakota is involved with two loans to Alien, President Eric Hardmeyer said. All of the bank’s lending is done in participation with another bank, he said.

“All I can tell is my share of it,” Hardmeyer said.

One loan balance is about $1.5 million and has a Small Business Administration guarantee, he said. Alien has made payments on the loan as agreed and has paid about $250,000 thus far, he said.

A recently funded PACE loan for about $1.2 million is the second loan the Bank is involved with, he said.

Locally, the Greater Fargo-Moorhead Economic Development Corp. has put forward $134,000 to go toward Alien’s first PACE loan, said President Brian Walters.

Pointing to the Fargo Alien facility and the people working there, Walter said he “can feel very good on that commitment of our community to support their operations.”

Alien also received a 10-year property tax exemption on its building worth about $145,000 per year from the Fargo City Commission last year for 2006-2017.

Prodromou said a 30-day quiet period mandated by the federal government prohibits him from making any forward-looking statements on the company’s future profitability.

During a quiet period, the SEC prevents companies from making public statements that could affect a stock offering.

However, he did say, “We all have a very strong fundamental belief in the future” of the radio-frequency identification industry.

“Everyone understands the economic potential of the growth of this market.”

RFID industry analyst Pete Abell of Massachusetts-based IDC’s Manufacturing Insights said Alien has been “losing a lot of money” and faces increasing competition.

He thinks the company’s drive for additional capital will take several months.

Capital from Alien’s IPO would have provided financing to expand the Fargo facility in 2008 and to make 2 billion tags per year, Prodromou said.

When looking for the next round of financing, Alien will keep in mind the next phase of growth at its Fargo plant, Prodromou said.

“I think we’ve got plenty of time to secure adequate financing to allow us to do that,” he said.

Besides finding new funding, Alien has another hurdle to overcome with the Fargo plant’s expansion.

In June, Alien and Everett, Wash.,-based competitor Intermec filed lawsuits against each other. Intermec claims Alien has infringed on 10 of its patents, while Alien is asking for a court to declare it hasn’t and that Intermec’s patents are invalid.

Court documents say Alien has invested about $15 million in its new Fargo manufacturing facility in the research park.

Over the next two years, the company plans to invest an additional $25 million to further expand the facility, documents say.

Alien also intends to employ about 100 people over the next two years, though the actual pace of hiring will be linked to end-market demand for RFID tags, said spokeswoman Linda Prosser.

“However, in light of the Intermec defendants’ allegations of patent infringement, Alien’s long-term plans regarding its Fargo facility and related operations may be in jeopardy,” court documents say.

Because Alien filed its lawsuit in North Dakota and Intermec countersued in Delaware, a determination needs to be made regarding which jurisdiction will hear the case before it goes forward, Prodromou said.

Meanwhile, operations in Fargo are “going quite well,” said Glenn Gengel, Alien’s vice president of manufacturing.

The company began moving equipment into its 48,000-square-foot Fargo plant in the North Dakota State University Research and Technology Park in April, while continuing to operate at its temporary facility in south Fargo.

A second assembly machine is now being tested, or “qualified,” at the research park plant, Gengel said.

Once that machine is ready later this month, the machine at the south Fargo facility will move permanently into the research park plant, he said.

The machines attach the NanoBlocks, or RFID chips, to antennae to create the smart tag.

All manufacturing of NanoBlocks will be done in Fargo starting this fall, when operations in Morgan Hill are transferred here, Gengel said.

This work is performed in a room in the Fargo plant called the “Clean Room,” where employees wear masks, hairnets, hoods, lab coats and protective booties, said manufacturing manager Kurt Gunning. Employees were working in the room earlier this week.

By October, operations will be “fully consolidated” in the research park, a month ahead of schedule, Gengel said.

The Fargo manufacturing plant can make up to 500 million tags per year, Prodromou said. It now has 32 employees. Employment will continue to grow in the next few months, he said.

According to Alien’s property tax exemption application filed with the city of Fargo in early 2005, the company forecasted 132 Fargo employees by the end of this September.

Alien also predicted growth of 207 employees by September 2007 and 319 employees by September 2008.

State and local officials say they are still confident in Alien and the benefits the company will bring to Fargo and North Dakota.

NDSU Research and Technology Park Executive Director Tony Grindberg said he isn’t concerned about the company’s withdrawal of its IPO. He referred further questions to Alien.

Bank of North Dakota president Hardmeyer said the state knows there is risk associated with any start-up company. He said there has been “tremendous progress” made by Alien.

Walters of the Greater Fargo-Moorhead Economic Development Corp. also said he isn’t concerned about Alien’s withdrawal of its IPO. It’s the nature of technology for there to be ups and downs, he said.

“Alien is very well positioned within that industry to do well.” Walters said.

“Looking at the leadership of that company and the quality people they have leading the company, I still think it’s a very good thing for the community, for the state.”

Forum reporter Jon Knutson contributed to this report. Readers can reach Forum reporter Teri Finneman at (701) 241-5560

Old Posted Aug 12, 2006, 7:22 PM

Very good news. I've heard alot of speculation and skeptical comments from people lately on the Forum boards. I don't really take it to heart, becuase most of them can't see past next week in terms of business. Another guy called it a complete blunder, but he has a reputation for being an ass and not saying anything positive about ANYTHING.

From what I've heard from the higher-ups in the Research Park, Alien is doing fine right now. The market just isn't moving as fast as initially thought. Hence why they postponed the IPO. I wouldn't worry about it though. I'd rather see the company launch the IPO when the sector is hotter than it currently is. Also I'll be very excited when they spend an additional $25,000,000 on their infrastructure, as planned, in the future. I know for a fact that the original plans are to double the size of the building by copying a mirror image of the building's footprint.

The extended time for the IPO declaration will also give me a chance to save some money up so I can get in on the game...

Old Posted Aug 13, 2006, 2:14 AM

Panoramic Photo of Downtown

Here's a panoramic view of current downtown Fargo I pieced together from several shots. Keep in mind that the Bank of the West Tower, Wells Fargo Building, Professional Building and Lashkowitz High Rise (Commonly Referred to as the Senior Highrise). So you're missing two of the other tall ones, but I think it's still a great pic. Click on it to goto my blog for a larger view. Read my blog while you're there too!!!

p.s. I'm thinking about putting out an A.P.B. on Smiley. He's been gone for two weeks now. I haven't seen him on Bisonville, Here, or his Blog....

Old Posted Aug 13, 2006, 2:17 AM

I saw structural steel going up for the Woodlawn Apartments on Main Avenue (next to the Kassenborg Building) in Moorhead. Hopefully that project moves along and they get to the Woodlawn Condos...

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Midwest