HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Pacific West > Portland > Downtown & City of Portland

Old Posted Dec 13, 2012, 2:18 AM

Pearl Block 17 | 178' | 16 floors | Completed

Hoyt Street plans project without Joe Weston
Portland Business Journal by Wendy Culverwell , Business Journal staff writer
Date: Wednesday, December 12, 2012, 2:45pm PST

http://www.bizjournals.com/portland/...e.html?s=print

Quote:
Hoyt Street Properties is advancing its first apartment project in the Pearl District since well before the recession. But it will likely tackle the $80 million project without its longtime financial partner, Joe Weston.

Weston, among the city’s most successful real estate investors who made his fortune in apartments, has said he believes the market is oversaturated.

Tiffany Sweitzer, president of Hoyt Street, respectfully disagrees and is advancing plans for a high rise apartment building on Block 17, which is bordered by Northwest Northrup and Overton streets and Northwest 11th and 12th streets.

“We feel that the market can still take rentals," she said..

Hoyt Street is selling the site to Wood Partners, which will team with a new venture formed by Sweitzer and Clay Fowler to pursue the apartment project. The Atlanta-based multifamily developer is one of the largest in the country and is staking out a position in the Pacific Northwest.

It has two projects in Seattle; the Pearl tower will be its first in Portland.

“We see the Pacific Northwest as a growth market,” said Frank Middleton, development director in Wood’s San Francisco office. The company scrutinizes economic data including jobs, income and other factors. Its portfolio includes high rise projects as well as historic renovations, conversions and suburban garden-style projects.

In the Hoyt Street team, it has a partner with a perfect property, well situated near the heart of the Pearl District. The project will likely be financed through an institutional partner. Wood Partners has teamed with CBRE Investors and USAA, the insurance company, on past projects.

The team envisions a project between 18 and 21 stories with 250 market rate units.

The Woods tends to pack its properties with high-end amenities including pools, fitness centers, bike repair stations and dog washes. Middleton said the Portland amenities have not been programmed.

Boora Architects is designing the project. Tiffany Sweitzer said the project team will seek guidance from Pearl District neighbors before bringing a design to the city of Portland.

Wood Partners will employ a general contractor on the two-year project, but has not yet made a selection. That is a departure for Wood Partners, which typically serves as its own contractor.

The apartment project is unnamed.

The project site is one block east of a separate Hoyt Street site slated for a 165-unit future condo tower. Hoyt Street and LRS Architecture are working up a luxury project, though Sweitzer characterized the company’s interest as preliminary.

While a press release indicates Hoyt Street will break ground on that project in 2013, Sweitzer said she is pursuing designs and permits to have a project ready to go if she believes the market is strong enough. The final decision has not been made.

The condominium would be built on a parking lot sandwiched between The Fields park, now under construction, and Tanner Springs park.
Hoyt Street is the primary developer of the Pearl District and has seen first-hand that condo inventory is drying up.

All but one of its condo buildings are sold out. It has 34 units unsold at the Encore, 949 N.W. Overtone building. The 177-unit project opened as the recession began and demand for condo living cratered.

Sweitzer confirmed that even if the final units sell for their asking price, Hoyt Street will book a loss on the project.

Sweitzer noted that the low inventory in the Pearl District could shift overnight. Several buildings constructed as condos currently operate as apartments. In theory, their owners could convert them back and put hundreds of already-built units back on the market. They include the Waterfront Pearl and the Wyatt.

Wendy Culverwell covers real estate, retail and hospitality.

Old Posted Dec 13, 2012, 2:31 AM

Well, the block between "Northwest Northrup and Overton streets and Northwest 11th and 12th streets" is the location of the Sitka apartments. So I doubt that's accurate. And if these apts are really one block "east" of another condo project, that puts the condos on the block currently occupied by a telco hotel, which wouldn't surprise me too much, but that would be something separate from the North Point tower we're all drooling over. So who knows how much else is wrong with this article?

Old Posted Dec 13, 2012, 2:36 AM

Hoyt Street Properties lays groundwork for apartment, condo high-rises (from OregonLive)

Quote:
The Pearl District's biggest landholder is laying the groundwork for two new high-rises on the district's North fringe, where development stalled during the recession.

Hoyt Street Properties, which controls eight undeveloped blocks in the area, is selling one for an apartment building that could stretch 18 stories high. It would be built through a partnership between a national developer based in Atlanta and two of Hoyt Street's four partners.

Old Posted Dec 13, 2012, 3:00 AM

They did get Pearl Block 17 correct, I hope. Which is located at Overton/Pettygrove and 11th and 12th Aves. I'm surprised a simple search on Google Maps to confirm the streets wasn't done. OR, perhaps they were using Apple Maps?

Old Posted Dec 13, 2012, 3:11 AM

Quote:
Weston, among the city’s most successful real estate investors who made his fortune in apartments, has said he believes the market is oversaturated.
As a renter looking to move, I can attest, even with the new buildings coming online, it's an extremely tight market. I've been looking for a year and everything is either overpriced or in horribly undesirable places/buildings. Could Weston be claiming 'oversaturation' because there are more options now and people aren't willing to pay top dollar to live in one of his run down, neglected APM properties?

Old Posted Dec 13, 2012, 3:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bvpcvm View Post
Well, the block between "Northwest Northrup and Overton streets and Northwest 11th and 12th streets" is the location of the Sitka apartments. So I doubt that's accurate. And if these apts are really one block "east" of another condo project, that puts the condos on the block currently occupied by a telco hotel, which wouldn't surprise me too much, but that would be something separate from the North Point tower we're all drooling over. So who knows how much else is wrong with this article?
the DJC got some pertinent facts wrong??? #shock #horror

Old Posted Dec 13, 2012, 4:02 AM

Old Posted Dec 13, 2012, 5:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by eric cantona View Post
the DJC got some pertinent facts wrong??? #shock #horror
well, this was the business journal, not the djc; didn't realize they were both this bad.

Old Posted Dec 13, 2012, 6:37 PM

One of us with the time should take that map (thanks Sioux612) and fill in the blocks with all the different projects that are happening or proposed... because I am confused

Old Posted Dec 13, 2012, 7:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkDaMan View Post
As a renter looking to move, I can attest, even with the new buildings coming online, it's an extremely tight market. I've been looking for a year and everything is either overpriced or in horribly undesirable places/buildings. Could Weston be claiming 'oversaturation' because there are more options now and people aren't willing to pay top dollar to live in one of his run down, neglected APM properties?
The market is tight now, but by the time a new 20 story building could be completed, it may not be. In the 2-3 years it would take to get these buildings ready for lease, more renters will be buying homes, and enough new units will have been built that the market will be a different place. Weston is likely claiming oversaturation because the lots HOYT owns have potential for significant buildings that take significant time to design and construct.

Of course, all of that actually depends on the economy continuing to improve. Ironically, if the market tanks there will be more renters and it could make more sense to build more apartments.

Does this make Weston an optimist?

Old Posted Dec 15, 2012, 7:18 PM

projects on the boards

Here are the North Pearl projects I'm aware of

Block 15- potential 350' condo project by HOYT
Block 17 - 20 story market apartment project
Block west of 17- Potential 20 story market apartment, developer unknown
Block west of 20- Bob Ball's Parker market apartment - 5-6 stories?
Block 27 - potential affordable housing, land sold by HOYT

Old Posted Jan 31, 2013, 9:27 PM

Another shrinking tower...

Jan 30, 2013, 9:13am PST
Hoyt Street kicks off Pearl apartment project
Wendy Culverwell
Business Journal staff writer- Portland Business Journal

http://www.bizjournals.com/portland/...&ed=2013-01-30
Quote:
Plans to construct a 16-story apartment tower in the Pearl District hit the public agenda as Hoyt Street Properties sought a pre-application appointment with the city for its plans at Northwest 12th and Pettygrove.

Tiffany Sweitzer, president of Hoyt Street, said the company will take its plans to the neighborhood by mid March, then take it through the city’s design process by mid-summer.

Hoyt Street hopes to break ground on the 280-unit tower this fall, she said.

(continued)...

Old Posted Jan 31, 2013, 9:58 PM

Even though it's gotten shorter it will still be great to see another one of those blocks get filled in. I'm looking forward to the day when the North Pearl is built up all the way up to the bridge.

Does anyone know exactly which block this is? Is it the one directly south of the Bob Ball project that is currently u/c, across the street from the new park?

Old Posted Jan 31, 2013, 10:47 PM

See the map above for the location of Block 17.

It is at Overton and 11th, facing the park and is southeast of Bob Ball's project.

There are rumors of another rental tower west of Block 17 and this would be south of Bob Ball's site - if it happens.

Last I heard, the Block 17 project will be 17 stories above 11th and 18 stories above 12th.

Old Posted Apr 10, 2013, 11:53 PM
Illustrator

Been doing some work on Block 17 recently as well, hope to have more info & renderings soon. For now, seems like the project is moving forward

Old Posted Apr 11, 2013, 1:10 AM

Awesome, hope to see something soon!

Old Posted Jun 6, 2013, 10:02 PM
PearlHelp.com

Design is underway for Block 17 Pearl District

During Tuesday’s Planning and Transportation meeting, developer Hoyt Street Properties and Boora Architects, sought design advice for Pearl District Block 17. Hoyt Street Properties purposes a residential tower and mid-rise structure for the site. Based on last night’s design presentation, the tower skin is described as modern light-colored glass. The mid-rise skin was all white brick.

Continue reading: http://www.pearlhelp.com/?p=4848

No renderings! Boora said no

Old Posted Jun 7, 2013, 1:24 AM

What exactly is the neighborhood notification procedure? I literally live across the street from the building, yet I haven't received anything about this from the City of Portland. Or don't the opinions of renters count?

www.twitter.com/maccoinnich

Old Posted Jun 7, 2013, 3:06 AM
PearlHelp.com

Quote:
Originally Posted by maccoinnich View Post
What exactly is the neighborhood notification procedure? I literally live across the street from the building, yet I haven't received anything about this from the City of Portland. Or don't the opinions of renters count?
I believe there has been a public notice on the fence for awhile now. Regarding the renters -- great question -- I don't know either.

Old Posted Jun 7, 2013, 4:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shilo Rune 96 View Post
I believe there has been a public notice on the fence for awhile now. Regarding the renters -- great question -- I don't know either.
"property owners" only.

http://www.portlandonline.com/bds/index.cfm?c=37275

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Pacific West > Portland > Downtown & City of Portland