HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario

Old Posted May 26, 2009, 5:08 PM
Urban Advocate

I can't wait until this building starts to take shape.
Cities are the most extraordinary human creation. They are this phenomenon which has unbelievable capacity to solve problems, to innovate, to invent, to create prosperity, to make change and continually reform. - Ken Greenburg

Old Posted May 26, 2009, 9:31 PM

I didn't know it was going to get started so soon. That's very exciting. I'm pumped to see shovels in the ground and process to happen.

Old Posted Jun 16, 2009, 3:22 AM

I didn't see any shovels, but there are some trucks with things that are probably used for driving something into the ground. Barrels are still there. (Save the barrels!)

Old Posted Aug 5, 2009, 4:48 PM

Barrel Pyramid Dismantling

In an email I received...

Quote:
As you may be aware, in February, Council approved plans for the Balsillie School of International Affairs, part of the Balsillie Centre of Excellence, to be located on the former Seagram's distillery site at Erb and Caroline streets. Under the leadership and direction of The Centre for International Governance Innovation (CIGI), the Balsillie Centre of Excellence will create resources and facilities to run programs of studies in partnership with the University of Waterloo, Wilfrid Laurier University and other universities in Canada and internationally.

The pyramid on this site was first erected in 1984 as a visual marker for the Seagram Museum. That pyramid was replaced in 1996 and while it holds no historical value, has become a local landmark for Waterloo.

Dismantling of the 770 barrels is expected to be a two-day process that will include an on-site evaluation by representatives of Canbar, formerly Waterloo-based Canada Barrels & Kegs.

Community Pick up Program:
Whole barrels that can be salvaged and reused will be stored in a City facility until a community project that ensures a continued presence in Waterloo for the barrels has been determined.

Damaged barrels and barrel parts that can not be salvaged will be diverted to a community pick up program during which residents are invited to visit the site and rummage through the dismantled hoops and staves to take remnants that can be reused.

Community pick up will take place on the CIGI site during the following times:
  • Wednesday, August 5 from noon until 5:00 p.m.
  • Thursday, August 6 between noon and 5:00 p.m.
  • Friday, August 7 from 9 a.m. until noon.

Pick up will be on a first come, first served basis and there is no guarantee on what will be available for distribution to the public. The amount and type of materials that will be available can not be determined until the dismantling and evaluation of the condition of the barrels begins. Any remaining material will be removed from the site following the community pick up.

Questions about this program can be directed to Ryan Mounsey.

Old Posted Aug 5, 2009, 7:11 PM

If you want a barrel, get in line tomorrow (Thursday) before noon. (Keep in mind that they are big!) Only the lowest two layers of barrels are left.

(The barrel giveaway for today is done.)

Last edited by mpd618; Aug 5, 2009 at 7:25 PM.

Old Posted Aug 6, 2009, 1:52 PM

Residents roll away barrels from Seagram pyramid

August 05, 2009
By Johanna Weidner, Record staff

WATERLOO — Mike Schneider loaded hefty tokens of Waterloo’s history, and his family’s, onto the flatbed of his truck Wednesday.

He was one of many area residents eagerly rolling away barrels as the pyramid on the former Seagram’s distillery site in downtown Waterloo was dismantled.

“My dad worked here. He used to make these things,” Schneider said of his father Ken, who was a cooper.

“He used to pound the hoops down on the barrel.”

Schneider was taking his six barrels to his nearby townhouse on Euclid Street, where they’ll have some sort of decorative use still not certain to Schneider.

“They’ll look pretty cool in the rec room or maybe outside,” he said.

He just knew he had to have them, like many other people who gathered at the site long before the free community pickup began at noon. Some came early in the morning to mark the barrels they wanted. The first batch of barrels was just about all scooped up in less than half an hour, with cars lining up to load up the finds.

“I figured, take a piece of heritage home with us,” said Chris Detzler, who lifted six barrels into his truck with his wife Jessie Robinson-Detzler.

The couple planned to put the barrels in the backyard of their Kitchener home as planters or just as a rustic decoration.

“They’re not perfect, but it’s kind of neat having the antique look,” he said.

The barrels are being cleared out to make room for the Balsillie School of International Affairs, which is part of the Balsillie Centre of Excellence offering resources and facilities for programs run in partnership with the local universities and across Canada and worldwide.

The pyramid was built in 1984 to mark the Seagram Museum, then replaced in 1996. Authentic heritage barrels are on display in the Centre for International Governance at the corner of Erb and Caroline streets, while those in the pyramid have no historic value, other than as a local landmark.

“There’s a lot of nostalgia wrapped up in the barrels,” said Karen VandenBrink, heritage resources manager for the City of Waterloo.

Experts from Canbar, formerly the Waterloo-based Canada Barrels and Kegs, are checking out the close to 800 barrels to pick out those in good shape that will be stored to be used later for a community art project. Damaged barrels and parts are up for grabs.

Dismantling the pyramid is scheduled to finish today. Community pickup will continue today between noon and 5 p.m., and Friday from 9 a.m. to noon, while the barrels last.

Kitchener resident Dennis Day was surprised by the crowd gathered for the barrel giveaway.

“I didn’t expect this many people to be here,” said Day, who was trying to get four barrels into his minivan.

Ryan Mounsey, development planner and urban designer for Waterloo, expected a lot of interest considering all the calls from people anxious to have a piece of the pyramid.

“They all cited sentimental reasons,” Mounsey said. “It’s not so much the quality, it’s just to have the object.”

Glenn and Pat Pascoe of Waterloo just happened to be driving by when the pickup began, and lucky for them.

“We wanted one for a while,” Pat said.

They grabbed two with the intention of cutting the wooden barrels in half to make planters for their cottage.

They already have three windows from old Seagram building, “so it will be neat to have the barrels as well,” Pat said.

“It’s nice to have some heritage from Waterloo. We’ve lived here now for 45 years.”

jweidner@therecord.com

Old Posted Aug 26, 2009, 11:09 PM

Hoarding has been going up the last two days and is about half way around the site (pretty slow pace if you ask me).

They have also built a ramp into the site. Seems they are putting hoarding around both faze 1 and 2 at the same time.

There is a trailer on site also and there was some equipment parked there earlier but all of it was being used to dig up parts of the parking lot next door.

Also, the lane markers on Caroline have been redone and the street now features only a single lane of traffic in either direction between Erb and William with bike lanes on either side.

Old Posted Aug 26, 2009, 11:38 PM

Pictures pictures!!!

Old Posted Aug 27, 2009, 12:11 AM

I miss the land shark...

Old Posted Sep 2, 2009, 3:09 PM

Cmon guys this is summertime, and this project is in the heart of the city, and nobody can get pictures? We aren't really getting updates on any developments for that matter.

I'm in Toronto and I'm still gonna get photo updates for this particular site when I'm in Waterloo tomorrow. Surely we can do better than this!!!

Old Posted Sep 2, 2009, 3:48 PM

You're going to be disappointed, unless you have a particular fascination with hoarding. Maybe once there are some shovels in the ground people will be motiviated to snap some shots.

Old Posted Sep 2, 2009, 4:48 PM

Well even having the barrels missing will be a change for me. And hoarding means it's becoming a reality, which is more than we have been able to observe at the site for the last decade, hehe.

Old Posted Sep 20, 2009, 10:25 PM

So far things are pretty quiet but here are some pictures

Old Posted Sep 22, 2009, 12:11 PM

soil problems

Don't have too many details but folks at Casa Mia have told me that there has developed an issue with the soil...it seems that they have discovered soil contamination...thus the delay in construction ...until all is cleaned up...construction to be delayed until the spring

Old Posted Sep 22, 2009, 12:23 PM

Not another soil contamination issue, hopefully nothing like the Arrow Lofts haha

Old Posted Sep 22, 2009, 10:13 PM

I wouldn't worry too much. Even if the soil contamination is costly to clean up, the benefactor has deeper pockets than the Arrow owners do!

Old Posted Sep 23, 2009, 1:08 AM

Imagine - soil contamination at a former industrial site in K-W. How unexpected!

Old Posted Sep 23, 2009, 3:12 AM

There was a buldozer shifting dirt around on the site today making mounds. Little else going on though.

Old Posted Sep 23, 2009, 7:47 PM

Ahem

...Any why didn't we already know that there would (obviously) be contamination here (without a doubt)?

I figured the remediation of the soil was part of the construction process that was to begin this fall. Oh boy...

Old Posted Oct 22, 2009, 6:34 PM
recession proof

11 October 2009 photo update

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario