HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Photography Forums > My City Photos

Old Posted Aug 11, 2010, 4:38 AM

Wrocław - Poland

Wrocław is a very nice and pretty city, 600.000 inhabitants, populated by students, artists, and «regular» POlish people in SouthWest Poland, close to Prague and Dresden.

it was german (called Breslau) until 1946, invaded by the Swedish, colonised by the Ukrainian, and is Central Europe at its best. patios everywhere and excellent food and beers, of course.

more here : http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wroc%C5%82aw

Old Posted Aug 11, 2010, 3:33 PM
Old Fart Forumer

Wow, not what I expected at all. So colorful and historic looking. Wonderful pics. Do you know what the signifigance is of the locks on the railing? Thanks for the eye-opening tour.

Retired, now Grandpa Daycare

Old Posted Aug 11, 2010, 8:37 PM

Very nice!

Old Posted Aug 12, 2010, 5:55 PM

Wonderful!

Old Posted Aug 12, 2010, 10:42 PM

The Poles have done a marvellous job of rebuilding the city when one considers it was reduced to rubble towards the end of the war. Nice set of pics.

Old Posted Aug 12, 2010, 11:49 PM

Wow. Stunning, historic architecture and charming streetscapes. Thanks for sharing!

Old Posted Aug 13, 2010, 2:38 AM

Cute, and architecturally stunning, sort of remind me a bit of Amsterdam. I never heard of this city, and my guess a lot of americans haven't. So I'm assuming its not flooded with tourist, and it would seem to be my kind of city to check out. Thanks for sharing.

Old Posted Aug 13, 2010, 7:19 AM

Very nice place! Thanks for the photos!

Old Posted Aug 13, 2010, 10:35 PM
Martian

Wow. So is Poland now officially considered a developed country?

Old Posted Aug 14, 2010, 1:38 AM

wow. it seems really clean! everything i love about cities. thanks for the tour

Old Posted Aug 14, 2010, 10:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yankee View Post
Poland has always been a developed country. I am really happy that the poster opened eyes to many people who still think that the whole Poland is just a long grey row of commie block houses. If someone would have told me that this city is in Germany, I would believe it.

Old Posted Aug 15, 2010, 1:47 AM

^ indeed. I didn't really know what to reply to this. it's not as «all you can eat» as the States, and it's not the richest European country, but there is no crime, no homeless people, no junkies, no fat people, no drunken machos. I guess as much as it «develops», those will increase.

it's a bit too religious for my liking (especially in Krakow), but overall nice, clean, safe and easy. perfect roads, incredible mueums, superb hotels and restaurants (REALLY cheap), nice train system, good public transportation in most cities. and Polish are incredebly disciplined, polite, discrete, easy-going and laid-back. a bit too shy, maybe.

Quote:
I never heard of this city, and my guess a lot of americans haven't. So I'm assuming its not flooded with tourist, and it would seem to be my kind of city to check out. Thanks for sharing.
I was there in May, and I heard a few Americans, French and Brits, but it was definitely no flooded. Many Polish tourists (tons of school groups!) - from other areas of the country, many Ukrainians and Germans because of the history of the city.

I recommend, if you go to Prague or Dresden, to take the train and spend at least two nights in Wroclaw.

Quote:
The Poles have done a marvellous job of rebuilding the city
Not sure I'm correct, but if I remember well, the city has not been too destroyed. Something like 35% damaged after the bombings, wich is relatively not that bad compared to Warshaw (80%?) Dresden (90%!!!) or Berlin (75%). Wroclaw was not considered as a major strategic point.

Quote:
Do you know what the signifigance is of the locks on the railing?
it's an old tradition in Central / Eastern Europe. love padlocks

thanks for the comments! I made 7 cities through Poland and Germany. I'll post more.

Old Posted Aug 15, 2010, 2:25 AM

Quote:
Typical "yankee" question, who doesn't know about anything.
Poland was developed country for more than a thousand years, next time if you write something that stupid try to get some information first.
Wroclaw is one of my favorites cities.
Greetings from Atlanta.
Pozdrowienia z Gornego Slaska ;-)

Old Posted Aug 15, 2010, 7:32 AM
designer&stuff

Dziękuję. I visited the City of Wroclaw in the summer of 2009, and I thoroughly enjoyed my short stay there.

Moreover, I took a similar photo during my visit and I am amazed that the graffiti of the heart is still visible on that particular building.

Quote:
I never heard of this city, and my guess a lot of americans haven't. So I'm assuming its not flooded with tourist, and it would seem to be my kind of city to check out. Thanks for sharing.
Although elsonic has answered this question quite well, I will add my brief opinion. When I visited the city, I did not run in to many tourists from Western Europe or North America. I happened to stumble upon two women from Spain examining the ecclesiastical quarter found in these photos, and some Germans in a restaurant in the heart of the city. Overall, it is not a place overflowing with tourists, at least tourists from English speaking countries. Thus you may not encounter many English speaking inhabitants, which means some basic Polish or German should handle most situations.

Lastly, did you enjoy any sunshine while in the city, elsonic?
“Most planning of the past fifteen years has been based upon three destructive fallacies: the cataclysmic insists upon tearing everything down in order to design from an absolutely clean slate; the automotive would plan for the free passage of the automobile at the expense of all other values; the suburban dislikes the city anyway and would just as soon destroy its density and strew it across the countryside.” Vince Scully

Old Posted Aug 15, 2010, 2:52 PM

Quote:
as much as I love Americans I would send 80% of their population back to elementary school. Too bad it would't help because we all know the level of education in those "schools" is terrible. Especially in California which has one of the worst public school systems in US. Ignorance and stupidity is common there and yankee serves as a great example here..
let's stick with the smart Americans and forget the rest.

Old Posted Aug 15, 2010, 9:50 PM

I was checking Wroclaw on Street View and see that areas just to the north of the historic centre are fairly intact. Unfortunately Street View does not yet cover the centre.

Old Posted Aug 15, 2010, 11:16 PM
passion for patterns

It's pronounced Vroatswoff right?

Old Posted Aug 16, 2010, 12:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by arbeiter View Post
It's pronounced Vroatswoff right?
more like Vroatzwoav

Old Posted Aug 16, 2010, 1:23 AM
designer&stuff

Quote:
Originally Posted by City of R'lyeh View Post
as much as I love Americans I would send 80% of their population back to elementary school. Too bad it would't help because we all know the level of education in those "schools" is terrible. Especially in California which has one of the worst public school systems in US. Ignorance and stupidity is common there and yankee serves as a great example here..
let's stick with the smart Americans and forget the rest.
Education cannot instill common sense. And there are good public school districts and quite bad ones in California. No need to overgeneralize.
“Most planning of the past fifteen years has been based upon three destructive fallacies: the cataclysmic insists upon tearing everything down in order to design from an absolutely clean slate; the automotive would plan for the free passage of the automobile at the expense of all other values; the suburban dislikes the city anyway and would just as soon destroy its density and strew it across the countryside.” Vince Scully

Old Posted Aug 16, 2010, 1:36 AM
Its the Sears Tower

If they are that paranoid about breaking and entering they should just build a large concrete wall. LOL

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Photography Forums > My City Photos