HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About
     

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > General Development


Reply

 
Thread Tools Display Modes
     
     
  #45941  
Old Posted Sep 12, 2019, 10:08 PM
LouisVanDerWright LouisVanDerWright is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Posts: 6,600
Quote:
Originally Posted by the urban politician View Post
What's happening in Pilsen is a bit of a window into what the future of LV could hold.

Yes, a lot of white college grads are renting there, but at least a decent and regular proportion of my tenants are Latino youngsters who grew up in the area, got an education, and want to get an apartment there.

I'm not saying for sure that that is the future for LV, but as the rents keep rising in Pilsen and as the Pink Line becomes a more valuable train route towards a large number of jobs, it's probably the closest thing we have for a crystal ball of what LV's future might hold.
I actually get a ton of African American and Latino millenials with college degrees...
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #45942  
Old Posted Sep 13, 2019, 2:30 AM
BonoboZill4's Avatar
BonoboZill4 BonoboZill4 is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2018
Location: PingPong
Posts: 1,588
Quote:
Originally Posted by LouisVanDerWright View Post
I actually get a ton of African American and Latino millenials with college degrees...
Yeah, yuppie is becoming much more a term that can actually be ascribed to young urban professionals. It's not just young urban and white professionals moving to these hip areas.
__________________
I'm here for a long time, not a good time
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #45943  
Old Posted Sep 13, 2019, 2:30 PM
Handro Handro is online now
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2017
Location: Chicago
Posts: 493
310-20 N Sanamon, adjacent to the Ace Hotel across from the Google HQ, got it's foundation permit yesterday. I think this was mentioned as a local for Google's Chicago expansion?



Currently: https://www.google.com/maps/@41.8870...7i16384!8i8192
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #45944  
Old Posted Sep 13, 2019, 4:28 PM
the urban politician the urban politician is offline
The City
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: Chicago region
Posts: 17,635
^ This and 318 N Carpenter getting started just days apart

Golly gosh this sure is neat!
__________________
Eat less
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #45945  
Old Posted Sep 13, 2019, 4:39 PM
J_M_Tungsten's Avatar
J_M_Tungsten J_M_Tungsten is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Chicago
Posts: 3,379
^So long Ace Hotel downtown views...
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #45946  
Old Posted Sep 13, 2019, 7:02 PM
Via Chicago Via Chicago is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: Chicago, IL
Posts: 4,682
the little auto body building at 1043 w fulton was demod today. the proposal back in spring was for a 12 story hotel (combined with also demoing the existing Hartshorne Plunkar offices directly adjacent), dont know if there have been any renderings yet
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #45947  
Old Posted Sep 13, 2019, 7:53 PM
harryc's Avatar
harryc harryc is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Oak Park, Il
Posts: 12,491
Quote:
Originally Posted by Via Chicago View Post
the little auto body building at 1043 w fulton was demod today. the proposal back in spring was for a 12 story hotel (combined with also demoing the existing Hartshorne Plunkar offices directly adjacent), dont know if there have been any renderings yet
Watched the nice guys from Henighan toppling the walls - it was not exactly a stunning or solid building.
__________________
Harry C --- Chicago rep for SkyRise Cities ---- My Flickr stream HRC_OakPark
The man who trades freedom for security does not deserve nor will he ever receive either. B Franklin.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #45948  
Old Posted Sep 13, 2019, 8:08 PM
Via Chicago Via Chicago is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: Chicago, IL
Posts: 4,682
nah no loss there
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #45949  
Old Posted Sep 13, 2019, 9:20 PM
SamInTheLoop SamInTheLoop is offline
you know where I'll be
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Posts: 5,084
Quote:
Originally Posted by Via Chicago View Post
the little auto body building at 1043 w fulton was demod today. the proposal back in spring was for a 12 story hotel (combined with also demoing the existing Hartshorne Plunkar offices directly adjacent), dont know if there have been any renderings yet

I've seen a couple I think. This is the main one that's been floating around:


https://therealdeal.com/chicago/2019...y-not-survive/


If not residential, this is the type/scale of commercial project that actually makes a decent amount of sense from an urban planning perspective in the Fulton corridor. Residential, of course, would make the most sense.
__________________
It's simple, really - try not to design or build trash.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #45950  
Old Posted Sep 13, 2019, 9:34 PM
k1052 k1052 is online now
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Posts: 1,806
Quote:
Originally Posted by SamInTheLoop View Post
I've seen a couple I think. This is the main one that's been floating around:


https://therealdeal.com/chicago/2019...y-not-survive/


If not residential, this is the type/scale of commercial project that actually makes a decent amount of sense from an urban planning perspective in the Fulton corridor. Residential, of course, would make the most sense.
A bunch of luxury hotels without the customer base to sustain them seems like a bad idea, no? All the office construction makes it viable. I think Fulton works pretty well as a major office node that switches over to hospitality at night. I personally would have liked some apartments mixed in but west loop residents fought tooth and nail against it so here we are.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #45951  
Old Posted Sep 13, 2019, 10:50 PM
ardecila's Avatar
ardecila ardecila is offline
TL;DR
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: the city o'wind
Posts: 13,920
Quote:
Originally Posted by k1052 View Post
A bunch of luxury hotels without the customer base to sustain them seems like a bad idea, no? All the office construction makes it viable. I think Fulton works pretty well as a major office node that switches over to hospitality at night. I personally would have liked some apartments mixed in but west loop residents fought tooth and nail against it so here we are.
There's been no shortage of residential proposals south of Lake.
__________________
la forme d'une ville change plus vite, hélas! que le coeur d'un mortel...
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #45952  
Old Posted Sep 14, 2019, 1:05 AM
k1052 k1052 is online now
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Posts: 1,806
Quote:
Originally Posted by ardecila View Post
There's been no shortage of residential proposals south of Lake.
And they complain a lot about those too. I know a few people who live over there. Times have changed somewhat since the PMD was cut back and they managed to exclude residential. The neighborhood can’t effectively resist as many proposals in the go zone now, especially once the new ward maps came down.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #45953  
Old Posted Sep 14, 2019, 12:09 PM
marothisu marothisu is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: Manhattan
Posts: 4,992
Riverbend Estates development in Bridgeport on Hillock right near the Chicago River just got permitted to build 17 townhomes on mostly vacant land. They had already built 17 SFH in this area. It's possible the entire new development is supposed to be 28 townhomes but not sure.

https://www.google.com/maps/@41.8422...7i16384!8i8192
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #45954  
Old Posted Sep 14, 2019, 1:00 PM
marothisu marothisu is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: Manhattan
Posts: 4,992
Gas station on Lincoln Ave and Seminary (Lincoln Park Gas), a little south of Diversey, was issued a demolition permit a few days ago. Any ideas what will replace it?

https://www.google.com/maps/place/26...!4d-87.6559033
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #45955  
Old Posted Sep 14, 2019, 1:22 PM
the urban politician the urban politician is offline
The City
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: Chicago region
Posts: 17,635
Quote:
Originally Posted by marothisu View Post
Riverbend Estates development in Bridgeport on Hillock right near the Chicago River just got permitted to build 17 townhomes on mostly vacant land. They had already built 17 SFH in this area. It's possible the entire new development is supposed to be 28 townhomes but not sure.

https://www.google.com/maps/@41.8422...7i16384!8i8192
Well, when you compare the streetview to what this area looked like a few years ago, this is a drastic improvement
__________________
Eat less
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #45956  
Old Posted Sep 14, 2019, 1:24 PM
the urban politician the urban politician is offline
The City
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: Chicago region
Posts: 17,635
Quote:
Originally Posted by marothisu View Post
Gas station on Lincoln Ave and Seminary (Lincoln Park Gas), a little south of Diversey, was issued a demolition permit a few days ago. Any ideas what will replace it?

https://www.google.com/maps/place/26...!4d-87.6559033
Pretty much anything is an improvement over a gas station, except for a strip mall

Luckily this site is way too small to fit a strip mall, so we will certainly be seeing an improvement, even if it’s just a one story retail building
__________________
Eat less
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #45957  
Old Posted Sep 14, 2019, 3:16 PM
marothisu marothisu is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: Manhattan
Posts: 4,992
Quote:
Originally Posted by the urban politician View Post
Well, when you compare the streetview to what this area looked like a few years ago, this is a drastic improvement
There's a few of these around the Bridgeport area. I think there's another similar area versus this one too which is supposed to have 30+ homes built there. Much better than before, especially if the piece of the river there is beautified.

Quote:
Originally Posted by the urban politician View Post
Pretty much anything is an improvement over a gas station, except for a strip mall

Luckily this site is way too small to fit a strip mall, so we will certainly be seeing an improvement, even if it’s just a one story retail building
Hopefully something worthy. I just saw that a little north of there, something similar is going to be a 4 story and 10 unit building. Not that big but much better than what was there before. It's probably done with construction already.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #45958  
Old Posted Sep 15, 2019, 10:44 PM
harryc's Avatar
harryc harryc is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Oak Park, Il
Posts: 12,491
Tribune Tower rehab - 435 N Michigan

Sept 6



Sept 10





Balconies !!






__________________
Harry C --- Chicago rep for SkyRise Cities ---- My Flickr stream HRC_OakPark
The man who trades freedom for security does not deserve nor will he ever receive either. B Franklin.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #45959  
Old Posted Sep 16, 2019, 12:08 AM
harryc's Avatar
harryc harryc is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Oak Park, Il
Posts: 12,491
Realtor's Crown - 430 N Michigan

Sept 6



__________________
Harry C --- Chicago rep for SkyRise Cities ---- My Flickr stream HRC_OakPark
The man who trades freedom for security does not deserve nor will he ever receive either. B Franklin.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #45960  
Old Posted Sep 16, 2019, 1:18 AM
RedCorsair87 RedCorsair87 is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2018
Posts: 374
The Realtor's Building and Renelle are REALLY fighting to see which one I despise more in this area of town...
Reply With Quote
     
     
This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts
 
 
Reply

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > General Development
Forum Jump


Thread Tools
Display Modes

Forum Jump


All times are GMT. The time now is 6:00 PM.

     

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.