HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Southwest

Old Posted Nov 6, 2018, 8:09 AM
Skyriser

This thread has strayed too far from the original topic.

Development news, please, or I start deleting more posts and possibly doing other things.

Last edited by combusean; Nov 6, 2018 at 8:20 AM.

Old Posted Nov 6, 2018, 2:35 PM

Drove by Native American Connections this morning, appears they have finally started on the second story.

Old Posted Nov 6, 2018, 6:23 PM

Just watched today's Planning/Econ Dev Subcomittee mtg; nothing too concrete, was hoping to see some updated renderings but didn't:

-The issue regarding allowed building height on the parcel immediately north of Artisan Lofts was deferred until Jan 8th to allow for more negotiations between the community and developer. (Developer wants 180', community wants to stay at 75')
-The City expects The Link Phase II to start 'very soon', along with the 200 Monroe project.
-The city will be looking into accelerating the development process to help developers avoid carrying costs.
-Palm Court Tower hopes to see construction begin around late 2019; much later than I had thought.
-Derby is apparently NOT completely dead. Eric Johnson (PHX Econ Dev dept) mentioned that this project is still on hold pending the GPLET litigation. We may see it yet!

Last edited by AnthonyPHX; Nov 6, 2018 at 7:42 PM.

Old Posted Nov 6, 2018, 10:04 PM
Modulator

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnthonyPHX View Post
Just watched today's Planning/Econ Dev Subcomittee mtg; nothing too concrete, was hoping to see some updated renderings but didn't:

-The issue regarding allowed building height on the parcel immediately north of Artisan Lofts was deferred until Jan 8th to allow for more negotiations between the community and developer. (Developer wants 180', community wants to stay at 75')
-The City expects The Link Phase II to start 'very soon', along with the 200 Monroe project.
-The city will be looking into accelerating the development process to help developers avoid carrying costs.
-Palm Court Tower hopes to see construction begin around late 2019; much later than I had thought.
-Derby is apparently NOT completely dead. Eric Johnson (PHX Econ Dev dept) mentioned that this project is still on hold pending the GPLET litigation. We may see it yet!
-All good news...except Palm Court Tower. I wonder what the hold up on that (and AC Hotel) is?
-I've never thought Derby was dead. I'm always checking up once or twice per week to see of the court case or permits have moved any.
-As fast as the first phase of Link moved, it would not surprise me to see the 2nd phase start not long after topping out the first tower.
-I wish they would quit dragging the Zoning Hearings regarding the added height for the Artisan parcel. This is the 4th time it's been pushed back. 180' is not that high. Only about 5 feet higher than PoTP2. The residents act as if they are trying to build a 300 footer.

Old Posted Nov 6, 2018, 10:04 PM

Quote:

Im surprised about the Monroe project

Good

The hotel was always supposed to start first

I still dont believe it but that would be great
apparently I need a charecter

Old Posted Nov 6, 2018, 10:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RonnieFoos View Post
-All good news...except Palm Court Tower. I wonder what the hold up on that (and AC Hotel) is?
-I've never thought Derby was dead. I'm always checking up once or twice per week to see of the court case or permits have moved any.
-As fast as the first phase of Link moved, it would not surprise me to see the 2nd phase start not long after topping out the first tower.
-I wish they would quit dragging the Zoning Hearings regarding the added height for the Artisan parcel. This is the 4th time it's been pushed back. 180' is not that high. Only about 5 feet higher than PoTP2. The residents act as if they are trying to build a 300 footer.
What irks me about the neighbors opposing this height is that I’m sure the same arguments were made about this as wih the “tower” at Phoenix CC. Increased traffic, loss of precious views, loss of privacy, etc. Except these neighbors were complaining that all “skyscrapers” should be confined to Central Ave where they belong. But clearly, the neighbors right off Central Ave don’t want height next to them either...so just where can ANY dense development go?!

Old Posted Nov 6, 2018, 10:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Obadno View Post
Yes work is definitely being done but it seems slow going, ive seen people working on the interior some nights, there is bathrooms and stuff on site and obvious brickwork going on based on the pallets of bricks on the property.

I think its a bit odd that they are working without secure financing as well.
I swear this is the slowest project ever - isn't Terry Goddard attached to it somehow?

I remember seeing these renderings and hearing about an opening date back in what had to be 2017 AT LEAST! what is going on? ? ? ?

Old Posted Nov 6, 2018, 11:14 PM
skyscrapers!

Dirt is moving at the proposed apartment complex on Central between Columbus and Weldon. I don’t recall the development plans there to be anything unique or grandiose as far as apartment complexes go, but nice to get rid of a vacant parcel.

Old Posted Nov 7, 2018, 7:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KEVINphx View Post
I swear this is the slowest project ever - isn't Terry Goddard attached to it somehow?

I remember seeing these renderings and hearing about an opening date back in what had to be 2017 AT LEAST! what is going on? ? ? ?
They‘ve been working on this in one way or another since the early 1990‘s. Just be happy if something happens in your lifetime. I was excited about this project when I was a teenager, which was over 20 years ago.

Old Posted Nov 7, 2018, 2:53 PM

I guess Eric Johnson wasn't kidding: HB Monroe Tower crane - Approved. Keep your eyes peeled for a press release.

Old Posted Nov 7, 2018, 3:02 PM

Brain fart....200 Monroe project is which? So many going on these days!!!!!

Old Posted Nov 7, 2018, 3:06 PM
Modulator

Quote:
Originally Posted by gymratmanaz View Post
Brain fart....200 Monroe project is which? So many going on these days!!!!!
This thing:

Image courtesy of Phoenix Downtown Neighborhood Alliance
http://www.phxdna.org/what-s-going-on.html

Old Posted Nov 7, 2018, 3:21 PM
Modulator

Quote:
I guess Eric Johnson wasn't kidding: HB Monroe Tower crane - Approved. Keep your eyes peeled for a press release.
Generally, these Obstruction Evaluations do not mean any construction is eminent or will be the final height of a building or crane. They just provide the developer with approval or not on what the max height they would be allowed to go if they chose to do so. But the height can change from what's submitted to the FAA. For instance, Block 23's cranes were originally submitted to be 400'. But the two current Block 23 cranes are only about 175' and 250'.

Even then, I still like to refer to the FAA Evaluations because it does give us a general guide to what a developer plans to do. Most of the time, the building heights are pretty close to what was submitted.

With that being said, hopefully Monroe does start soon (March by looking at the FAA evaluation). There have been quite a few Permits issued by the City of Phoenix for 200 Monroe...most of them being infrastructure permits (sewers, water lines, etc.).

Old Posted Nov 7, 2018, 4:12 PM
Skyriser

OEs can be made for mobile boom cranes which build tower cranes and are by necessity taller, especially when fully extended.

200 W Monroe has a listed structure height of 300 feet.

Old Posted Nov 7, 2018, 4:41 PM

Structure height of 300 ft of the building or the tower crane?

Old Posted Nov 7, 2018, 5:26 PM
Skyriser

^ The building.

Old Posted Nov 7, 2018, 7:38 PM

Quote:
Derby is apparently NOT completely dead. Eric Johnson (PHX Econ Dev dept) mentioned that this project is still on hold pending the GPLET litigation. We may see it yet!
Perfect project for the area - keep fighting those crybabies!

Old Posted Nov 7, 2018, 7:59 PM
Modulator

Quote:
Originally Posted by ASUSunDevil View Post
Perfect project for the area - keep fighting those crybabies!
I wouldn't expect Derby to be dead. The market is hotter now than it was before Derby halted construction and they aren't going to sit on the land as valuable as it is. They will build something there. Probably an updated design and hopefully at 500' to cast a permanent shadow over Angel's Trumpet

Old Posted Nov 7, 2018, 8:21 PM

AMEN Ronnie!!!

Old Posted Nov 8, 2018, 3:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phxguy View Post
What irks me about the neighbors opposing this height is that I’m sure the same arguments were made about this as wih the “tower” at Phoenix CC. Increased traffic, loss of precious views, loss of privacy, etc. Except these neighbors were complaining that all “skyscrapers” should be confined to Central Ave where they belong. But clearly, the neighbors right off Central Ave don’t want height next to them either...so just where can ANY dense development go?!
Exactly, and I really don't understand why you would want to live downtown or even near downtown if you don't like tall buildings. If you don't like tall buildings, why wouldn't you move to Glendale or Chandler? And no one ever responded to me when I made the point that Crystal Point is further away from Central than the Phoenix Country Club project. Why do these people want dirt lots and parking lots as opposed to residents and retail to up their home value?

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Southwest