HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > General Development

Old Posted Mar 11, 2018, 8:18 PM
Becoming Chicago-fied!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Downtown View Post
"Ahead of Obama Center" primarily in the minds of north suburban newspaper editors who see the South Side as all one neighborhood. From the story:

Russell Pike, president of the Jackson Park Highlands homeowner's association, one of the oldest in the city, would like to see a renewed business corridor along 71st Street between Yates Boulevard and Stony Island Avenue, but he remains skeptical that either the Obama center or the golf course would be the spark the area needs.

“I’m not sure if the golf course is going to create an avenue of businesses wanting to develop in that area. I’m not even sure if the Obama Center will do it as well, since (it’s) going to be” at least a mile north, he said. “What’s going to motivate someone to come another mile south?”

Pike also said he believes the spike in home sales lies not in the proximity to the presidential center, but to area beaches and lake trails, public transit and the area’s increased diversity.

"I wouldn't say that a lot of these changes has to do with the Obama Center. I don't know how far in advance people think 'Well I'm (going to) buy a house over here because in three years there's going to be the Obama center,’ " said Pike, 67. "I think the selling point is we're very community oriented (and) the neighbors look out for each other."
Could be both, of course. I'll admit I know very little of the South Side with the exception of the Hyde Park area (and my knowledge is pretty limited even in that neighborhood!), but I'd say a major upcoming draw like a Presidential museum is certainly going to effect an area of at least a mile or two in radius surrounding it. I really do need to get someone who's really familiar with the South Side in general to give me a good tour of the area, since I do, for the most part, stick to the northeast quadrant (of course I live in Lakeview East, so it's understandable! Haha).

Aaron (Glowrock)

Old Posted Mar 11, 2018, 9:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by glowrock View Post
Could be both, of course. I'll admit I know very little of the South Side with the exception of the Hyde Park area (and my knowledge is pretty limited even in that neighborhood!), but I'd say a major upcoming draw like a Presidential museum is certainly going to effect an area of at least a mile or two in radius surrounding it. I really do need to get someone who's really familiar with the South Side in general to give me a good tour of the area, since I do, for the most part, stick to the northeast quadrant (of course I live in Lakeview East, so it's understandable! Haha).

Aaron (Glowrock)
The South Side has some nice residential blocks and some of the housing stock is great. Really depends on where you are. In Woodlawn, there's a number of blocks with empty lots but others that aren't like that - some of the blocks just north of Oak Woods Cemetery aren't like that and you have some others that are pretty good like https://www.google.com/maps/@41.7791...7i13312!8i6656.

South Shore is one I like a bit. You have areas like Jackson Park Highlands with some nice old houses and even mansions (https://www.google.com/maps/place/68...!4d-87.5785497) mixed with some pretty dense stuff. You've got some highrises along 67th street across from the park (https://www.google.com/maps/place/68...!4d-87.5785497) and some blocks with some good low to mid rise density that you could make someone believe was Lakeview or Lincoln Park or Ravenswood (https://www.google.com/maps/place/68...!4d-87.5785497 or https://www.google.com/maps/place/68...!4d-87.5785497). There's also some other high rises in parts like this (https://www.google.com/maps/place/70...!4d-87.5668899).

South Shore has some excellent building stock. I think one of the most underrated parts of Chicago sometimes for this only because it's on the south side and doesn't get as much credit as it should. Woodlawn has some nice stuff but there's a lot of empty land. This maybe makes it more perfect for new construction gentrification type of stuff. The thing is that areas like Woodlawn, Bronzeville, Washington Park, etc have some great building stock but there's a bit of empty lots which doesn't make it feel as safe maybe for some people. South Shore and some larger parts of areas like Chatham don't really have this issue and even areas of Greater Grand Crossing like Park Manor (https://www.google.com/maps/@41.7620...7i13312!8i6656) don't have it either. If you blind folded some people and took them to these areas, a lot of them would honestly think they were somewhere on the north side just looking at the building stock.

Old Posted Mar 14, 2018, 3:58 PM
TL;DR

Quote:
"Ahead of Obama Center" primarily in the minds of north suburban newspaper editors who see the South Side as all one neighborhood. From the story:

Russell Pike, president of the Jackson Park Highlands homeowner's association, one of the oldest in the city, would like to see a renewed business corridor along 71st Street between Yates Boulevard and Stony Island Avenue, but he remains skeptical that either the Obama center or the golf course would be the spark the area needs.

“I’m not sure if the golf course is going to create an avenue of businesses wanting to develop in that area. I’m not even sure if the Obama Center will do it as well, since (it’s) going to be” at least a mile north, he said. “What’s going to motivate someone to come another mile south?”

Pike also said he believes the spike in home sales lies not in the proximity to the presidential center, but to area beaches and lake trails, public transit and the area’s increased diversity.

"I wouldn't say that a lot of these changes has to do with the Obama Center. I don't know how far in advance people think 'Well I'm (going to) buy a house over here because in three years there's going to be the Obama center,’ " said Pike, 67. "I think the selling point is we're very community oriented (and) the neighbors look out for each other."
Well, obviously. It’s not just the media who have a flawed understanding, it’s the community groups too. They point to the gentrification wave that followed the 606 without understanding the very different specifics around that project.

The Museum of Science and Industry has been luring wealthy Northsiders, suburbanites and tourists to Jackson Park for 80 years, I doubt it had any significant impact on real estate values in the broader Hyde Park/Woodlawn community.

The uptick in values and development in Woodlawn is being driven purely by University growth pricing middle class folks out of Hyde Park, and the existing amenities (park, lake, Green Line) that make Woodlawn a respectable choice - especially for young, middle class people of color. The notorious housing projects that once kept people away have been redeveloped.

I imagine the neighborhoods here will take a similar trajectory even if the Obama Center and the golf course were canceled tomorrow.

Old Posted Mar 30, 2018, 3:10 AM

April plan commission

Old Posted Apr 5, 2018, 3:49 PM
Plenary pleasures.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BVictor1 View Post
April plan commission
Not shown on the April plan commission agenda issued yesterday..are you certain?

Old Posted Apr 5, 2018, 3:59 PM
The City

Quote:
Originally Posted by sentinel View Post
Not shown on the April plan commission agenda issued yesterday..are you certain?
Probably a result of bitching from the Community Benefits Agreement shit-wagons

Old Posted Apr 5, 2018, 11:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sentinel View Post
That's what i was told initially, but it seems to not be.

There is a soil testing truck on site in Jackson Park.

Old Posted Apr 12, 2018, 1:50 PM
Plenary pleasures.

Received email that a Plan Commission hearing will be held on May 17th.

Old Posted May 2, 2018, 7:10 PM

The only item on the May Plan Commission agenda is the OPL: https://www.cityofchicago.org/conten...018_Agenda.pdf

Speaking of which....

Obama Foundation makes unique library deal for Obama Presidential Center
Quote:
By Lynn Sweet

WASHINGTON – The Obama Foundation and the City of Chicago signed a tentative rent-free deal for a Chicago Public Library branch to be in the Obama Presidential Center in Jackson Park, officials told the Chicago Sun-Times on Tuesday.

“I really think it’s kind of an ideal combination of uses, to have a Chicago Public Library at the OPC,” Obama Foundation executive director Robbin Cohen told the Sun-Times.

Mayor Rahm Emanuel, the first chief of staff for the former president, said in a statement: “In the spirit of Barack and Michelle Obama, this branch will serve as a neighborhood anchor with 21st century learning opportunities and shared spaces that will bring together community residents to gather, share and succeed for generations to come.”

Old Posted May 7, 2018, 2:43 PM
Urbane observer

^I always assumed the Trump Presidential Library would be the first to have a shelf of children's books.

In other news, the OPC wants to count closing Cornell Drive as creating new parkland:

From the Sun-Times:

WASHINGTON — Chicagoans are owed parkland for some of the acres in Jackson Park where the Obama Presidential Center will be located, and three park groups are rejecting the claim by the Obama Foundation, City of Chicago and Chicago Park District that closing and digging up Cornell Drive in the park should count as a replacement.

Friends of the Parks executive director Juanita Irizarry told the Chicago Sun-Times, “Upon hearing a few years ago of the plans for the OPC in a park and the Obama Foundation’s commitment to a park positive outcome, Chicagoans envisioned more than what we seem to be getting. We expected new parks to be created in the community, not just a reconfiguration of the spaces and uses within the current boundaries of Jackson Park.”

Counting Cornell as new parkland is “fuzzy math,” said Charles Birnbaum, the president of the Cultural Landscape Foundation based in Washington.

The foundation said in a document about “preserving parkland” that the four buildings in the Obama Center campus take up 2.6 acres — and of that, 1.6 acres of “roof” area will be “totally accessible open space” and the remaining 16.7 acres will remain “open and publically accessible.” And with “road improvements” — a reference to at least Cornell — “there will be a net gain of parkland” in Jackson Park.”

Hmmm. If one of you guys could give me $250, on Friday I'll give you back $100. Just think! You'd be increasing your income next week by $100!

Old Posted May 7, 2018, 3:00 PM
TL;DR

Park space is about quality and not quantity. That's why I hate metrics like "acres of parkland per capita", because it says nothing about how the space is actually used by citizens or whether it has a meaningful impact on quality of life. You have to make a holistic assessment, not tot up acreage gained vs lost.

There's no doubt in my mind that Jackson Park, or at least the west half of it, will be more heavily used without a six-lane drag strip running through it. Over time, the contiguous, larger section of parkland will allow more and different uses and programming. A music festival, for example, or larger family picnics. The Park District may eventually decide it can add more sports fields in this area. Etc, etc. The revised configuration of Jackson Park offers more possibilities for public and recreational use than the current configuration.

Of course, the Park District could still theoretically close Cornell even if the Obama Library was slated for a different location. Unfortunately in our car-obsessed society, there has to be a good political reason for why the Park District is closing off a favorite shortcut for thousands of South Siders. Without Obama, the closure would never happen.

Old Posted May 15, 2018, 1:36 PM
Urbane observer

From today's Chicago Tribune:

A federal lawsuit filed by a Chicago nonprofit in an attempt to block the Obama Presidential Center from being built in Jackson Park accuses organizers of pulling an “institutional bait and switch” by shifting the center’s purpose away from being a true presidential library.

Protect Our Parks Inc. also claims in its lawsuit, which was filed in U.S. District Court on Monday, that the Chicago Park District and the City of Chicago don’t have the authority to transfer public parkland to nongovernmental entity such as the Obama Foundation.

POP is the group that got the Latin School's private soccer field moved further north in Lincoln Park and opened up to use by other groups.

I haven't yet read the complaint, but it looks like their federal cause of action is a generic due process complaint. I'm not terribly optimistic about their chances of succeeding. Of course, that's the same prediction I made about the opponents of the Lucas Museum.

Old Posted May 15, 2018, 1:37 PM

Does the lawsuit filed today have legs? I waffle back and forth on the park and it's use, but I don't waffle on not wanting the city to lose this one. Interested to hear if everyone was expecting this and if it's no big deal or not.

Old Posted May 15, 2018, 1:42 PM

Here we go again!

Old Posted May 15, 2018, 3:39 PM

feels like they opened themselves up to this with that stupid parking deck situation, which was obvious and eventually removed from the plan

Old Posted May 15, 2018, 3:50 PM
The City

I really don't care

Old Posted May 15, 2018, 4:56 PM
Leftist Correctist

Quote:
^I always assumed the Trump Presidential Library would be the first to have a shelf of children's books.
That and the entire future archives of the National Enquirer

Old Posted May 17, 2018, 10:34 PM

http://www.chicagotribune.com/news/o...517-story.html

Amid heated debate, city approves plan for Obama Presidential Center
Lolly BoweanContact Reporter
Chicago Tribune

Quote:
After more than seven hours of emotional and passionate testimony from hundreds of residents, community activists and elected officials, the Chicago Plan Commission voted overwhelmingly to approve the Obama Presidential Center on Thursday afternoon.

The decision was a major hurdle for the Obama Foundation, but it is just the beginning of a long process before any construction takes place.

Next week, the foundation will go before the city’s zoning board for more approvals. Then it will have to have a formal long-term lease agreement approved by the full City Council. In addition, the project is still under federal review because of Jackson Park’s status on the National Register of Historic Places.

Still, the vote was considered a major victory the foundation’s top officials, who represent the former President and First Lady.

Old Posted May 21, 2018, 1:42 AM
પટેલ. કે ન

Old Posted May 23, 2018, 5:55 PM

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > General Development