HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada

Old Posted Mar 2, 2018, 2:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acajack View Post
I don't know if southern parts of Ottawa got some flurry activity from the system that dumped snow on Toronto, but here in Gatineau we didn't get a single flake.

Only a little snow left in "lying" areas and lots of bare ground now. Still lots of shovelled piles all over the place though.
Didn't really snow much in Toronto either. Reports of 1-5 cm depending on location. We got about the same here. Really heavy wet stuff. Anyways back to spring after that scare.

Old Posted Mar 2, 2018, 2:46 PM
arf

Predicting 5-10cm tonight/tomorrow. That shold be fun. Be close to doubling the amount of precipitation we've had all winter. Not quite, but almost.

-10C, -17C windchill

-- “We heal each other with kindness, gentleness and respect.” -- Richard Wagamese
-- “Unless someone like you cares a whole awful lot, Nothing is going to get better. It's not.” -- Dr. Seuss

Old Posted Mar 2, 2018, 4:25 PM
I ♣ Baby Seals

There's a strange blue blob in the sky. Not sure what's on the go.

Old Posted Mar 2, 2018, 7:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acajack View Post
I don't know if southern parts of Ottawa got some flurry activity from the system that dumped snow on Toronto, but here in Gatineau we didn't get a single flake.

Only a little snow left in "lying" areas and lots of bare ground now. Still lots of shovelled piles all over the place though.
I drove from Peterborough this morning and saw a few flurries along highway 7 and that’s about it.

Old Posted Mar 2, 2018, 8:12 PM
arf

I love Environment Canada's disclaimer hidden in this "special weather statement":

Quote:
Originally Posted by EnvironmentCanada
Special weather statement in effect for:

City of Regina
Major winter storm expected beginning Sunday evening and persisting through Monday and beyond.

A weather disturbance from Saskatchewan will spread some accumulating snow into southern Manitoba this weekend.

A much more significant system, a Colorado Low, will approach southern Saskatchewan and Manitoba late Sunday. This winter storm will bring a prolonged period of heavy snow, strong winds, and blowing snow to parts of the southeastern Prairies starting Sunday night and possibly persisting into Tuesday.

Colorado Lows can be notoriously difficult to forecast in general and there is an unusually high degree of uncertainty with this particular weather system. It will be some time before the weather intensity and the exact area of its greatest impact can be predicted with confidence.

However, total snowfall amounts of 15 to 30 cm should be expected and heavier local snowfall amounts are possible. Periods of poor visibilities in blowing snow will also affect travel Monday and Tuesday and prolonged blizzard conditions may occur in parts of Southern Manitoba.

Please continue to monitor alerts and forecasts issued by Environment Canada. To report severe weather, send an email to ec.storm.ec@canada.ca or tweet reports using #SKStorm.
Well, 15 to 20cm would be more snow than we've had all winter I believe.

Total precipitation for Regina
February: 4.3 mm
January: 3.3mm
December: 4.3mm
November: 11.2mm

So, 23.1mm which would be 231mm snow equivalent (approximate.)

Forecast is for maybe 10cm tonight/tomorrow and maybe another 20cm Sunday/Monday.

Hilarious. March rolls in and we get more snow than the entire winter so far.

Oh well, will be good for some outdoor fun. Temperatures around -8C during the day.

SNOWBALL FIGHT!!!

Totally ready for this.

And some much needed precipitation for this area.

-- “We heal each other with kindness, gentleness and respect.” -- Richard Wagamese
-- “Unless someone like you cares a whole awful lot, Nothing is going to get better. It's not.” -- Dr. Seuss

Old Posted Mar 2, 2018, 9:08 PM
hähnchenbrüstfiletstüc

Looks like a few Prairie cities have more snow in November or March than in some other colder winter months.

Heavy snow tends to be associated with cold but it those moisture-laden weather systems tend to be somewhat mild by Canadian standards. A big snowstorm is more likely to come along with temperatures around 0 in most places than around -20.

Similarly some of the mildest parts of Canada have also been hit with the biggest snowstorms. Victoria got around 65 cm from one storm system in 1996. I think this is more snow than the all-time record in Montreal, which was 40-50 cm.

Old Posted Mar 2, 2018, 9:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by someone123 View Post
Looks like a few Prairie cities have more snow in November or March than in some other colder winter months.

Heavy snow tends to be associated with cold but it those moisture-laden weather systems tend to be somewhat mild by Canadian standards. A big snowstorm is more likely to come along with temperatures around 0 in most places than around -20.

Similarly some of the mildest parts of Canada have also been hit with the biggest snowstorms. Victoria got around 65 cm from one storm system in 1996. I think this is more snow than the all-time record in Montreal, which was 40-50 cm.
Yeah, although people act shocked every year, big snow dumps - In Edmonton at least are something more likely in the shoulder months when there is some moisture around.

Winter storm/snowfall warnings for a lot of AB since yesterday. Was supposed to start in Edmonton last night, but every wave of snow seems to have died out on approach just outside the city. Watching the radar has been kind of fascinating. Nothing so far

Old Posted Mar 2, 2018, 10:12 PM

Surprised to see Cal/Edm receive, on average, pretty much the exact same yearly snowfall as Toronto. I always assumed they received significantly less because of the dry climate. They just get it over a longer period of months whereas it's condensed in Toronto. I'm sure most of you already knew that!

Old Posted Mar 3, 2018, 1:11 AM
Suburbs Suck

No precip but humidity is 95%.
castlegar.ca

Old Posted Mar 3, 2018, 1:40 AM
Wildcats Rule!!

Now about -1C and light freezing drizzle in Moncton at 9PM. We are still gonna miss the "perfect storm" striking the US east coast (the storm will be heading southeast, not northeast as usual), but the cloud shield is expanding and it's getting windy out. Our peak wind gusts tomorrow will be 70 km/hr and we will continue to get spotty flurries and light freezing drizzle. Massachusetts on the other hand is getting hurricane force winds, several storm surges on succeeding high tides, about 125 mm of rain and offshore waves of about 10 metres.

Old Posted Mar 3, 2018, 2:47 AM
Moran supreme

More snow tonight and tomorrow, crazy amount of snow on the ground for Calgary with around 20cm in the last 24 hours. Our back yard is two feet deep or more in places...

Old Posted Mar 3, 2018, 6:27 AM
Go Preds!

1C and overcast. We had near blizzard conditions for a few minutes this afternoon but as it was above freezing, it didn't really accumulate.

The warmspot was Greenwood, NS at 9.9C.

Old Posted Mar 3, 2018, 12:11 PM

Bright and sunny today with a high of 6C, low tonight -5C.

Old Posted Mar 3, 2018, 12:33 PM
I ♣ Baby Seals

A sloppy mess.

Old Posted Mar 3, 2018, 2:01 PM

Black Rock Beach near Downtown Halifax (Point Pleasant park) on the last day of February:

This Is Halifax by Kelly Mercer 27 by Kelly Mercer, on Flickr

Old Posted Mar 3, 2018, 5:41 PM
hähnchenbrüstfiletstüc

Quote:
Originally Posted by q12 View Post
Black Rock Beach near Downtown Halifax (Point Pleasant park) on the last day of February
Incidentally, this beach used to be much more popular than it is today (or these days; it has probably never been packed on March 3). Here's a picture from the 1950's:

Source

These days I guess it is easier for people to get farther out of the city to nicer beaches in the summer. Maybe it still has a reputation for being dirty too (which may or may not be deserved now). It also looks like there was more sand in the 1950's picture. I wonder if that is true or if it's just how the photo looks or the tide?

Halifax must be one of only a few Canadian cities with beaches you can talk to from downtown.

Old Posted Mar 3, 2018, 6:06 PM
Suburbs Suck

Ya not many cities can say that. In Vancouver you don't even have to walk out of downtown to find a beach. And Toronto has some in walking distance or no?
castlegar.ca

Old Posted Mar 3, 2018, 6:54 PM
Go Preds!

Although it's not within "walking distance", Jean-Dore beach is less than 5 km away...

https://www.mtl.org/en/experience/ul...-beaches-pools

http://www.tvanouvelles.ca/2016/06/2...e-les-familles

Old Posted Mar 3, 2018, 6:59 PM
I ♣ Baby Seals

We've got a few but they're even rockier than that HFX one. And a little too far to walk. Middle Cove Beach is probably closest. More a bonfire thing than swimming. Though people do.

The Pride Week bonfire a few years ago...

Video Link

Last edited by SignalHillHiker; Mar 4, 2018 at 1:39 PM.

Old Posted Mar 3, 2018, 7:28 PM
Community Guy

Winter storm.

Wake me up when I can see skyscrapers

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada