HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Vancouver > Transportation & Infrastructure

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next

Old Posted Nov 21, 2010, 7:35 PM

9/12/10 -Mayors Council vote on Translink tax increase

Another potentially region-changing decision is coming up with the mayor's council vote on Dec 9. Unfortunately, it looks grim for the council to pass the initiative. AKAIK, only Coquiltlam mayor Stewart and Langley (city?) mayor Fassbender seems to be in favor, with umm, everyone else seemingly against.

Quote:
If both supplements are turned down, as seems inevitable, Translink will continue on course, but could lose access to $400 million of federal funding for Evergreen and about $65 million for the NFPR.

No one seemed too worried about that yesterday. The timing has never been better for Metro Mayors to force an end to the use of property tax for transit capital investment.
Vancouver Councillor Geoff Meggs

This in my view is an egregious and irresponsible avoidance by the mayor's council. I am not sure how something as difficult as road tolling and vehicle levies could be planned and consulted on since the MOU in early Fall 2010. The property tax increase IMO is the best option to move with this.

However, just as we had this brinkmanship with the Canada line, i think that we at SSP can try to make an impact by making our voices heard. I would strongly encourage that people who are concerned write this week to their own mayor and council, followed by emails to the translink board at large the next week and the MOT, with the vote to follow.

Some tips I can think of:

-emphasize that you are a 'desirable demographic' that cities are trying to attract (tech-savvy? in a burgeoning field? an urbanophile with a big social network that keeps abreast of politics?)
-emphasize you will watch and scrutinize how they will vote
-empathize that this is a difficult decision, but have them aim for the bigger picture.
-also ask for a response. even if you get a form email from an aide, it means that it has reached someone in their office.

In all honesty, this will likely be voted down. But IMO i don't think we should make it easy for them.

and if the MOT hears of some support, it will ensure this goes thru, maybe with the 'enhanced' funding plan.

Make your voice heard! Do you want Derek Corrigan to plan your transit?

End

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Vancouver > Transportation & Infrastructure