Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada

Closed Thread

Old Posted Apr 24, 2015, 7:31 PM

2018 Stanley Cup Champions - Edmonton Oilers*

Old Posted Apr 24, 2015, 7:48 PM
Go Chiefs!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Habanero View Post
Might as well Fedex the cup to Edmonton for delivery sometime around 2018. I'm not being sarcastic either, Chiarelli is a great manager and that's really what's been missing from the Oilers.
He's better than anyone currently in Edmonton but let's not forget he destroyed that Bruins team. That's why he was fired.

Old Posted Apr 24, 2015, 8:03 PM
DRINK

Just wait till they announce Babcock once the wings are out.

I've had a boner since last Saturday and I see no end in sight.

Old Posted Apr 24, 2015, 9:04 PM
Suburban dweller

Location: Calgary - our road planners are as bad as yours Edmonton
Quote:
Originally Posted by HomeInMyShoes View Post
^
We really need to get two more teams in Canada at the expense of the US.
two more teams in Canada - yes, but absolutely NOT at the expense of U.S. teams. What we need is for more of the U.S. teams to be successful off the ice which builds the game and makes the league stronger as a whole. Two additional teams in Canada would make it stronger yet.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SHOFEAR View Post
Just wait till they announce Babcock once the wings are out.
I've had a boner since last Saturday and I see no end in sight.
My money is on Hitchcock.

Albert Einstein

Old Posted Apr 24, 2015, 11:53 PM
Go Chiefs!

There is the team we all know vs Ottawa... instead of 5, Ottawa will win in 7 no biggie.

Old Posted Apr 25, 2015, 1:51 AM
Wildcats Rule!!

5-1 Ottawa.

Old Posted Apr 25, 2015, 2:38 AM

Montreal got their asses handed to them. They better step it up or else they will be out in the first round.

Old Posted Apr 25, 2015, 2:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lubicon View Post
two more teams in Canada - yes, but absolutely NOT at the expense of U.S. teams. What we need is for more of the U.S. teams to be successful off the ice which builds the game and makes the league stronger as a whole. Two additional teams in Canada would make it stronger yet.
We need a team in Quebec City and Hamilton. The NHL should concentrate on getting teams in northern US such as Seattle, Milwaukee and Kansas City and move some teams from the southern US. The NHL's expansion into the Deep South has been Bettman's biggest failure and has not grown the league at all.

Old Posted Apr 25, 2015, 2:24 PM

Looking for the Flames to come out strong tonight and take the series, don't want to go back to Vancouver for game 7, Canucks are tough to beat at home.

‘I believe in science’ is a statement generally made by people who don’t understand much about it. - Judith Curry, Professor Emeritus GIT

Old Posted Apr 25, 2015, 4:52 PM
Editor

Cap issues are going to be an issue for any team that reaches its peak. Despite any issues he might have had, he's just what the Oilers have been missing. Coaching? ...maybe, but it's hard to tell with coaching until you build a decent team. Either way, Chiarelli brings credibility to the organization, A coach like Babcock would not likely come to Edmonton without him there. Also McDavid probably now feels better about Edmonton having the first overall pick.

Obviously it doesn't guarantee Edmonton a cup, but it guarantees some positive direction, and they will no doubt be a contender for the cup.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steveston View Post
It'll be interesting to see how this Chia-to-Edmonton thing works out in the medium to long term. One of Chia's issues in Beantown was his handling of the cap, and how the Ruins had to jettison players like Iggy and Boychuk, but didn't add enough mid-range depth players.

You gotta know that Edm will have cap issues when these cheap contacts for key players (Yak, Draisaitl, Nurse) expire, the big contracts for Hall, Eberle & Nuge are still in force, and the need for 3rd/4th line depth and experienced D & competent G are still there.

Cap issues have proven to be Chia's achilles heel, and looks like he'll have challenges galore in Edm.

Last edited by Surrealplaces; Apr 25, 2015 at 5:06 PM.

Old Posted Apr 25, 2015, 5:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HomeInMyShoes View Post
^I hope so. It'd be nice to see the cup in Canada again.

We really need to get two more teams in Canada at the expense of the US.
Canadian fans cheering for other Canadian teams to win the cup is a mindset I've never understood. Considering the narrow and limited demographics of hockey (white and Canadian), most American teams have just as large, if not more of a Canadian contingent than most Canadian teams.

The cup spends enough time in Canada as it is when those players bring it back. As for the next locations for teams, I can't wait to see franchises in Las Vegas and Seattle... hockey is a niche sport that has a limited following outside of Canada and the NE United States; the game is not being grown. If the NHL ever wants to become anything more than an afterthought, more franchises in Canada isn't what needs to happen. Markets in the United States like Seattle that can draw from a population that should be amenable to the sport and locations like Vegas where the NHL can establish a presence before bigger and more entertaining leagues like the NFL and NBA can encroach is and should be more of a priority.

Old Posted Apr 25, 2015, 5:51 PM
Home of Hyperchange

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoTrans View Post
We need a team in Quebec City and Hamilton. The NHL should concentrate on getting teams in northern US such as Seattle, Milwaukee and Kansas City and move some teams from the southern US. The NHL's expansion into the Deep South has been Bettman's biggest failure and has not grown the league at all.
Don't worry. Now that the Coyotes lost out on #1 and #2 in this draft, that franchise is basically done. Expect them to move as soon as their no-move clause expires in 2-3 years. Possibly Seattle, or maybe QC. It depends on whether or not the upcoming Vegas expansion is one team, or 2 (the second would be QC).

Old Posted Apr 25, 2015, 5:51 PM
Home of Hyperchange

Quote:
Originally Posted by bkd View Post
Canadian fans cheering for other Canadian teams to win the cup is a mindset I've never understood. Considering the narrow and limited demographics of hockey (white and Canadian), most American teams have just as large, if not more of a Canadian contingent than most Canadian teams.
Because we're cheering for our fellow fans, not the nationality of someone who skips town for a paycheque.

Old Posted Apr 25, 2015, 6:12 PM
Wildcats Rule!!

Bettman wants the franchise fee for any new team to be $500M. That should give either Hamilton or Quebec City pause when it comes to securing a new team. the only market that could possibly afford this is the GTA (second team). Quebec City will have to acquire it's team through relocation (for example the Coyotes).

Old Posted Apr 25, 2015, 10:22 PM

Seattle has got to easily be the best hockey market without a team. The Seattle area draws more fans to their WHL teams than any other city. Metro Seattle has 2 WHL teams. It'd be nice if the NHL could get in their before the NBA comes back. In many U.S. cities, the NHL is more popular than MLB and NBA and I think Seattle can be one of these cities. Seattle has to be the NHL's main priority... by a mile. Instead of Las Vegas, I would choose Portland as 2nd on the list. The WHL's Winterhawks are 2nd in the league in attendance.

Old Posted Apr 25, 2015, 10:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by logan5 View Post
In many U.S. cities, the NHL is more popular than MLB and NBA and I think
Which cities??

Old Posted Apr 25, 2015, 10:34 PM

Quote:
In many U.S. cities, the NHL is more popular than MLB and NBA and I think Seattle can be one of these cities.
That might be a stretch, especially for baseball. Would require a Seattle NHL team to be one of the better teams in the league I think.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrs Sauga View Post
Which cities??
Only one I can think of this possibly being the case is Denver.

Old Posted Apr 25, 2015, 10:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrs Sauga View Post
Which cities??
It was a while ago that I was seeing local TV ratings for the various sports, but i seem to recall Pittsburgh well ahead of the Pirates. The Bruins ahead of the Celtics. Red Wings ahead of both the Pistons and Tigers. And I think even the Avalanche are more popular than the Nuggets, and that's with the Avs being a relatively new team in town.

Old Posted Apr 25, 2015, 10:53 PM

When you have a good NHL team vs a good NBA team it's a different story, but they are pretty evenly matched. Here's the ratings from a head to head telecast of a Bulls game and a Blackhawks game. Another example - the Bruins tv ratings rae double the Celtics, and are ofton higherb than the Red Sox.

Quote:
The Chicago Bulls and the Chicago Blackhawks were both center stage Thursday night on cable sports channel Comcast SportsNet Chicago. And in a way both were vying to see which team is more of a fan favorite among Comcast's sports-loving audience.
Well as it turned out, the fates of the two teams diverged in their respective games. And, in the end, so did the overnight Nielsen TV ratings.
In a double overtime battle that finally resulted in the Bulls beating the Milwaukee Bucks 113 to 106, Thursday night's game averaged an 11.4 rating on CSNC. One rating point equals 35,000 households in the Chicago market. The Bulls rating peaked at an even better 16.5 rating, as many viewers no doubted suspected the Bulls had the game in the bag before the pugnacious Bucks fought back in the final seconds of regulation to tie the game.
Perhaps stunned by that turn of events, the Bulls needed two overtimes to get the job done. But the job was done, and the Bulls now lead the Bucks 3 games to none in the first round of the NBA playoffs.
Though a lot was on the line, the Hawks couldn't match the Bulls' ratings performance as the hockey team notched an average 9.7 rating for their match-up in Nashville Thursday against the Predators, with the game peaking at 16.1 rating.
http://www.bizjournals.com/chicago/n...others-tv.html

Old Posted Apr 26, 2015, 3:07 AM
Unapologetic Occidental

Quote:
Seattle has got to easily be the best hockey market without a team. The Seattle area draws more fans to their WHL teams than any other city. Metro Seattle has 2 WHL teams. It'd be nice if the NHL could get in their before the NBA comes back. In many U.S. cities, the NHL is more popular than MLB and NBA and I think Seattle can be one of these cities. Seattle has to be the NHL's main priority... by a mile. Instead of Las Vegas, I would choose Portland as 2nd on the list. The WHL's Winterhawks are 2nd in the league in attendance.
The highlighted portion is true only if we are talking about the US only.

Quebec City easily has twice as many people who follow the NHL than Seattle does. It might be close to three times more even.

Hamilton is probably fairly similar to QC as well and GTA2 probably has as good or better potential than Seattle too.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Closed Thread

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada