HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces

Old Posted Apr 4, 2018, 9:30 PM

This is good news, and it seems to be a little ambitious for what I had seen, and heard about the year time line they have for this project.

Old Posted Apr 7, 2018, 4:25 PM
Wildcats Rule!!

PROPOSAL FOR THE INEVITABLE INTERCHANGE FOR THE ROMEO LEBLANC INTERNATIONAL AIRPORT

The only way this will work (given the existing railway crossing across Highway 11/15 at the airport exit) is if you elevate both the northbound and southbound lanes of Highway 11/15.

If you accept the premise that you have to elevate the highway rather than build an overpass over the highway, then everything else falls into place. Construction should actually be quite straight forward. In particular, the current on/off ramps (for the airport) from 11/15 northbound will never have to be closed during the construction period and the rail crossing also will probably never have to be closed during construction as well.

First, close the southbound 11/15 roadway (at the construction site) and divert traffic to 11/15 northbound (making it two-way traffic), allowing for elevation of this portion of the highway. Once the new elevated segment is complete, then reverse the process, closing northbound 11/15, diverting traffic to the southbound roadway (making it two-way traffic) to allow construction of the northbound elevated segment.

Construction would take several years, but I'm convinced that if you did the process in a stepwise manner such as this, alternately closing the north and southbound roadways, that traffic disruption would be relatively minimal and that the current airport on/off ramps could remain operational during the entire construction period and the rail line would also be unaffected.

By building an interchange here, this would also open up new land along the SW corner of the TCH-11/15 cloverleaf for commercial or industrial development. I included a possible internal road layout for this potential development.

This would work.

Old Posted Apr 7, 2018, 6:47 PM

I’m clueless as to why this would be required unless population and passenger traffic were to triple. Great rendering - but why?
Quote:
Originally Posted by MonctonRad View Post
PROPOSAL FOR THE INEVITABLE INTERCHANGE FOR THE ROMEO LEBLANC INTERNATIONAL AIRPORT

The only way this will work (given the existing railway crossing across Highway 11/15 at the airport exit) is if you elevate both the northbound and southbound lanes of Highway 11/15.

If you accept the premise that you have to elevate the highway rather than build an overpass over the highway, then everything else falls into place. Construction should actually be quite straight forward. In particular, the current on/off ramps (for the airport) from 11/15 northbound will never have to be closed during the construction period and the rail crossing also will probably never have to be closed during construction as well.

First, close the southbound 11/15 roadway (at the construction site) and divert traffic to 11/15 northbound (making it two-way traffic), allowing for elevation of this portion of the highway. Once the new elevated segment is complete, then reverse the process, closing northbound 11/15, diverting traffic to the southbound roadway (making it two-way traffic) to allow construction of the northbound elevated segment.

Construction would take several years, but I'm convinced that if you did the process in a stepwise manner such as this, alternately closing the north and southbound roadways, that traffic disruption would be relatively minimal and that the current airport on/off ramps could remain operational during the entire construction period and the rail line would also be unaffected.

By building an interchange here, this would also open up new land along the SW corner of the TCH-11/15 cloverleaf for commercial or industrial development. I included a possible internal road layout for this potential development.

This would work.

Old Posted Apr 7, 2018, 7:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mattyyy View Post
I’m clueless as to why this would be required unless population and passenger traffic were to triple. Great rendering - but why?
An overpass at the Airport has been planned by DTI for years. The demand is already there and growing.

I might, however, point out that the problems of closing down the railway for building an overpass above the highway would be mitigated if we simply used the same timeframe to build a rail overpass above the Trans-Canada, which is currently a hazard.

Old Posted Apr 7, 2018, 7:23 PM

I'm a somewhat frequent traveler via that route and cannot recall seeing a train on that track except for once perhaps 20+ years ago.
Yes I know that, nevertheless, Dieppe would have a shit fit if they were to remove that track outright.

Old Posted Apr 7, 2018, 11:17 PM

The train definitely uses that rail line at least a few times a month, Masterpackaging gets cars there on a regular basis. Although train time is anytime...The normal schedule for that assignment goes there on Saturdays but, if the rail car is in town and the require it immediately, a crew can take it out there at anytime.

Old Posted Apr 7, 2018, 11:25 PM

I wish an overpass was built for all those crossings on the highways..especially the line that goes into the Caledonia Industrial Park, why the overpass at Elmwood Dr. wasn't extended to include the tracks is beyond me. Even if its 6 times a week that the train could possibly cross , I find it really dangerous in bad weather and if the traffic begins to back up closer to the overpass...one sleepy driver of any sorts when they crest that hill at 120 km/hr and into backed up traffic...ughhh scares me everytime.

Old Posted Apr 8, 2018, 12:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steelcowboy View Post
The train definitely uses that rail line at least a few times a month, Masterpackaging gets cars there on a regular basis. Although train time is anytime...The normal schedule for that assignment goes there on Saturdays but, if the rail car is in town and the require it immediately, a crew can take it out there at anytime.
Thanks! I did not know that.

Old Posted Apr 8, 2018, 1:11 AM
Wildcats Rule!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Franco401 View Post
An overpass at the Airport has been planned by DTI for years. The demand is already there and growing.
I agree. The airport wants a full interchange too, but this is an expensive project and up to now, there have always been other priorities (like lengthening the main runway). Also, for some bizarre reason, the "interchange to nowhere" (the Scoudouc Industrial Park interchange) took priority at the time that the Department of Transportation was allocating resources about 10 years ago.

The current arrangement with the northbound on/off ramps does not address the problem with traffic trying to access the airport from the northern part of the province or from the TCH. The level rail crossing right in front of the airport is frankly an embarrassment. This should be addressed.

All the level rail crossings over divided highways in Moncton (and there are three of them) should be dealt with. I have seen trains crossing the TCH about three times and crossing Highway 11/15 once. Every time I see this, it is a surprise and this is from a city resident who knows about the crossings. It must be a shock for a tourist from Ohio who has never seen anything like this before and has to slam on the brakes to avoid a collision.

The cost however is prohibitive. Of the three crossings, the one in front of the airport is the most likely to be corrected as it would also have the benefit of improving traffic flow to the airport, and potentially opening up commercial/industrial land for development (as I illustrated in my previous post).

Quote:
Originally Posted by Franco401 View Post
I might, however, point out that the problems of closing down the railway for building an overpass above the highway would be mitigated if we simply used the same timeframe to build a rail overpass above the Trans-Canada, which is currently a hazard.
If you read my post, I believe that by alternately closing the northbound and southbound lanes of 11/15 would avoid significant disruption to both the rail spur and to the current airport access roads.

Old Posted Apr 8, 2018, 10:18 AM

It is important to note that Dieppe is adamantly NOT in favour of on/off ramps in front of the airport They have told the province very clearly they want a ramp to/from the airport to be located on Route 2 on the TCH/ around the area at the end of the runway.
Past mayors have told the province in no uncertain terms to shove any ideas about placing ramps in front of the airport. I do not know if the current mayor and the current council feel the same way. I know for a FACT some past mayors have read the riot act to the province over this issue. The city wants to develop the industrial land at the end of the runway, and what better way to do that cheaply than have the province pay for and build ramps there.

Old Posted Apr 8, 2018, 2:07 PM
Wildcats Rule!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by L'homard View Post
It is important to note that Dieppe is adamantly NOT in favour of on/off ramps in front of the airport They have told the province very clearly they want a ramp to/from the airport to be located on Route 2 on the TCH/ around the area at the end of the runway.
Yes, I'm aware. This is roughly what the City of Dieppe wants:

What the City of Dieppe really wants is an interchange off the TCH to help stimulate development of the next phase of their air industrial park on the east side of YQM. This is an admirable goal, but is not really intended to improve access to the airport terminal per se. It will give a point of access from the TCH to the terminal - via a somewhat circuitous 3 km drive around the end of the main runway (duck!!!), but will not address access for southbound traffic on the 11/15 at all. This is not a good option IMHO.

I don't know why this has to be an either/or situation. I think both projects could be justified and addressed sequentially. The City of Dieppe is already extending Aviation Blvd around the end of the runway, presumably on the assumption that the province will come on board for their hoped-for interchange. I imagine secret assurances have already been given by the province, so I think this is a fait accompli.

YQM aspires to be a serious airport. A serious airport requires direct highway access (not a meandering route through an industrial park). I'm confident the 11/15 highway interchange will eventually be built.........

Old Posted Apr 8, 2018, 6:56 PM

Here's your chance to give your say on the airport's access roads:

Moncton airport wants your say in new 20-year master plan

​The survey closes on Sunday, however there is another open house scheduled for May

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/new-br...rvey-1.4610363

https://www.surveymonkey.com/r/YQM2038MP

Old Posted Apr 9, 2018, 2:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MonctonRad View Post

All the level rail crossings over divided highways in Moncton (and there are three of them) should be dealt with. I have seen trains crossing the TCH about three times and crossing Highway 11/15 once. Every time I see this, it is a surprise and this is from a city resident who knows about the crossings. It must be a shock for a tourist from Ohio who has never seen anything like this before and has to slam on the brakes to avoid a collision.

The cost however is prohibitive. Of the three crossings, the one in front of the airport is the most likely to be corrected as it would also have the benefit of improving traffic flow to the airport, and potentially opening up commercial/industrial land for development (as I illustrated in my previous post).
I'm sure things will be done with rail crossings on divided highways....... after something bad happens.

Old Posted Apr 10, 2018, 8:39 PM

At Granite Drive development there is Still 30 Acres Available for development.
There is also land Zoned R3 on Elmwood Next to the East Bound on ramp for sale. So can't wait to see what might happen in that area, and The Land on Harisville Between the Kent, and Shediac Road is up for sale 24 Acres zoned Mixed HC, R3. There where plans in the area but not sure if it was drawn up by the land owners, a Developer, or just someone trying to see what could be developed there.

Last edited by Scarface; Apr 25, 2018 at 5:40 PM.

Old Posted Apr 25, 2018, 2:38 PM

look like they started working to connect Granite Drive to McLaughlin.

Old Posted Apr 29, 2018, 1:56 AM

It seems we can't have anything nice. Any news on plans to Re-re build Fairview Knoll Park, or just take down whats left, and leave it as a Green park with no equipment since someone decided to try, and burn it down?

Old Posted Apr 29, 2018, 8:40 PM

That area was always a little sketchy but we take our kids... we were taking our kids there to bike and use the new park but last weekend was the last time.... there are parents there with their kids.. and i mean like 30-50 year olds there with their kids.. openly swearing.. smoking drugs, talking about the previous nights adventures etc.. not a nice place to be. Its unfortunate, really sad.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scarface View Post
It seems we can't have anything nice. Any news on plans to Re-re build Fairview Knoll Park, or just take down whats left, and leave it as a Green park with no equipment since someone decided to try, and burn it down?

Old Posted Apr 30, 2018, 12:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ammn_guy View Post
That area was always a little sketchy but we take our kids... we were taking our kids there to bike and use the new park but last weekend was the last time.... there are parents there with their kids.. and i mean like 30-50 year olds there with their kids.. openly swearing.. smoking drugs, talking about the previous nights adventures etc.. not a nice place to be. Its unfortunate, really sad.
There was a Facebook group (Has since been deleted) But all they where doing was blaming Public housing residence for the actions of a few, and calling forprevious plans to be put in place.

Quote:
All Public Housing/NB Housing is to be moved outside of the city
DOn't believe this was a provincial plan, or just someones plans after the several arest of people from Beechwood Terace 106-128 Joyce Ave. The arest where for different reasons but all had to do with safety, and the lack there of with the people who where removed there.

Old Posted Apr 30, 2018, 3:09 PM

There most definitely is NO plan to move public housing outside the city.

Old Posted May 1, 2018, 1:57 PM

I believe Kimbao chinese buffet in McLaughlin Place opens today.
I will give them a few days to work out any kinks before trying them but if you are craving a good ol' Chinese food pig-outtoday , there ya go!

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces