HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Southeast

Old Posted Mar 28, 2018, 12:13 AM
Cat Enthusiast

I'm very interested in the expansion of the entertainment district. As Uptown is, it's more a lunch (a great one) destination. It would be a wonderful success to see the district become a nightly event. Lord, I'd kill to be able to spend some time a couple nights a week down there.

SSP Alabama Universities: Alabama - UAB - Alabama State

Old Posted Mar 28, 2018, 2:51 PM
The Salty Ham

Quote:
Originally Posted by tascalisa View Post
I shouldn't find it comical, or or be so cynical, but I'm one of the most cynical people on the planet. I can't believe that the BJCC is simply expecting that 2 hotels are going to pop up in that area. I mean, I think it's totally possible, it's just that.... talk about chicken before the egg! Yea, we were able to attract Westin for Uptown, and I'm sure the expansion of the entertainment district is going to increase the demand for hotel rooms in the immediate vicinity... I guess I'm just still living with the same skepticism I had back before Uptown/Westin and Regions Field. I never thought those investments would bear the fruit that they have, but I've been proven wrong.

I hope my cynicism will be smothered again.

BTW, if the 1 to 2 hotels do materialize, that would bring the total number of hotel rooms in the BJCC area to probably a bit over 1,500... potentially closer to 2,000. I'd be quite impressed.
I just go back to some quotes and video I have seen of Tad Snider. Now that he can go to these entities and honestly say that the project is a go, that it will encourage more development in the area. There was always another phase of Uptown on the books and at least 1 hotel. They have enough property to buy/giveaway to Starwood for another hotel if they just want to go the easy way out, but I still think it could potentially attract some organic growth once the area is improved enough and meets the minimum expectations of some conventions and concerts that have been passing us over.

Old Posted Mar 28, 2018, 3:39 PM
Cat Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tourian View Post
I just go back to some quotes and video I have seen of Tad Snider. Now that he can go to these entities and honestly say that the project is a go, that it will encourage more development in the area. There was always another phase of Uptown on the books and at least 1 hotel. They have enough property to buy/giveaway to Starwood for another hotel if they just want to go the easy way out, but I still think it could potentially attract some organic growth once the area is improved enough and meets the minimum expectations of some conventions and concerts that have been passing us over.
They definitely have enough land that they could develop themselves and lease out to support funding for future expansions, renovations, and upkeep. They're like the UAB of Druid Hills...

Old Posted Mar 28, 2018, 3:48 PM
The Salty Ham

Quote:
Originally Posted by tascalisa View Post
They definitely have enough land that they could develop themselves and lease out to support funding for future expansions, renovations, and upkeep. They're like the UAB of Druid Hills...
Indeed. I feel like it is a given and will happen. I am more skeptical of Carraway being redeveloped any time soon, but at least this is a huge step in the right direction of making that happen.

Old Posted Mar 28, 2018, 4:59 PM
Cat Enthusiast

Quote:
Indeed. I feel like it is a given and will happen. I am more skeptical of Carraway being redeveloped any time soon, but at least this is a huge step in the right direction of making that happen.
Yea, I don't know what they're thinking about Carraway. I don't have the slightest clue what they could do with it other than turn it into a hotel, turn it into residences, or just demolish it and redevelop the property, which would be a shame given how prominent it is.

Old Posted Mar 28, 2018, 5:49 PM
The Salty Ham

Yeah I think it needs to come down and maybe become affordable high rise apartments/condos with retail on the bottom.

Old Posted Mar 30, 2018, 1:19 PM

REV Birmingham posted photos of inside the historic Protective Live Building (Commerce Center) with an article about the renovations to come (no speculative images, just what people have said) as well as the company running the project.

http://revbirmingham.org/htc-profile...ed-into-hotel/

"All these other cities are getting buildings taller than 15 stories, and all I'm getting is a spiral beltway!" - Birmingham

Old Posted Mar 30, 2018, 5:48 PM
The Salty Ham

John Carrington was on JOX today and when asked about parking for the new stadium, he mentioned Caraway's parking decks still being in decent shape and that some sort of shuttle service could be set up on game day.

Old Posted Mar 30, 2018, 5:49 PM
The Salty Ham

Some good pictures of The Commerce Center which will soon be a hotel.

http://www.al.com/news/birmingham/in...de_90-yea.html

Old Posted Apr 4, 2018, 9:52 PM

Old Posted Apr 4, 2018, 11:02 PM

New airport shuttle from bham to atl and back started sunday......

http://altoday.com/archives/22497-ai...a-began-sunday

Old Posted Apr 4, 2018, 11:26 PM
Cat Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcalumni01 View Post
New airport shuttle from bham to atl and back started sunday......

http://altoday.com/archives/22497-ai...a-began-sunday
Shit...

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcalumni01 View Post
F***ing awesome news. That facility is enormous and has been begging to be use for too long. This should really help the airport. Increased revenue from incoming and outgoing large aircraft should help it fund incentives for new destinations or help lower ticket prices.

Old Posted Apr 5, 2018, 5:55 PM
The Salty Ham

That was a major hole that needed to be filled. I hope operations ramp back up to 1500+ like the old days.

Old Posted Apr 8, 2018, 9:44 PM
Cat Enthusiast

Quote:
That was a major hole that needed to be filled. I hope operations ramp back up to 1500+ like the old days.
The facility certainly has the potential to meet and surpass that. Planes aren't going anywhere, and Birmingham's proximity to ATL puts in the perfect spot for pretty much any aircraft needing a quick fix or overhaul. The airport would be smart to make improvements to the runways and improve the topography leading to and from the NW/SW (shorter) runway to prevent another disaster like the UPS crash and increase capacity.

Old Posted Apr 18, 2018, 3:24 PM
The Salty Ham

Does anyone have any updates on the Yielding development down 280 at 119? This thing has been rumored for a long time and the last rendering I saw of it gave me the impression that it would be anchored by Costco. There was some heavy equipment out there clearing the land, but I didn't get close enough to really see.

The development at 150 & 459 is still in the terraforming stage. I have heard rumors of another Trader Joe's and perhaps Cabela's for the sporting goods store.

There was another "mixed use" development going in on 280 across from Wal-Mart/Kripy Kreme but the site doesn't seem that large to me. I guess developers won't be happy until every nook and cranny on 280 is filled and we reach peak traffic.

Old Posted Apr 30, 2018, 8:22 PM
The Salty Ham

https://www.bizjournals.com/birmingh...at-former.html

A developer is planning to turn the old Trinity site into a mixed-use project including condos, senior condos, office space and a hotel with nice greenspaces and perhaps retail and entertainment. They have the property under contract.

Old Posted Apr 30, 2018, 9:36 PM
Burming Hammer

awesome to hear. would love to see something similar at caraway and century plaza.

Old Posted May 1, 2018, 3:25 PM
The Salty Ham

Quote:
Originally Posted by TimCity2000 View Post
awesome to hear. would love to see something similar at caraway and century plaza.
I think the megachurch backed out of buying CP and another developer bought it who mainly deals in public storage, but planned to do other things (along with that) as well.

I haven't heard anything on Carraway since Lovelady expressed interest, but perhaps the BJCC reno will spark something there.

Old Posted May 4, 2018, 6:28 PM

Tower Crane is up and running on the Children's of Alabama site for their new 6 Floor office building and 12 floor parking deck.

Old Posted May 5, 2018, 11:05 PM
Burming Hammer

some progress pics of various projects. i noticed there are at least 3 tower cranes up around the city right now.

Children's Hospital Parking Deck / Office Building (is there another name for this project?):

UAB College of Arts and Sciences:

UAB School of Nursing:

Vesta (terrible pic, sorry...)

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Southeast