HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Calgary > General Discussions, Culture, Dining, Sports & Recreation

Old Posted Apr 16, 2012, 3:52 PM
Very tall. Such Scrape.

Exclamation Calgary Jane's Walks 2012

The Calgary landing page is up and populated with a lot of walks on May 5 and 6.

We've been going on these for the last few years and have always found them fun, entertaining, informative, and an excellent venue in which to meet your fellow citizens and have some great conversations!

http://janeswalk.net/cities/landing/category/calgary/

We are planning on attending the East Village Walk and the Edmonton Trail & Bridgeland walk.

Old Posted Apr 16, 2012, 5:37 PM
Great White Norf

Cool, I'll have to check it out! thanks for the heads up Bigtime

Old Posted Apr 16, 2012, 5:40 PM

Looking forward to it!

I would also like to pitch Alderman Brian Pincott's tour of the Curry Barracks area. For those of you who have not had the pleasure of meeting him, Alderman Pincott is an absolute gem.

Old Posted Apr 16, 2012, 5:55 PM
Very tall. Such Scrape.

Pincott is a good guy, would be fun to go on the walk he is leading. It should also be noted that Alderman Carra is hosting two walks, one about the Mission road area and the other on Inglewood.

We did his Inglewood walk 2 years ago when he was running for alderman, he grew up in the community and the knowledge he brings of the area and its history is really cool.

Old Posted May 7, 2012, 1:01 PM
Very tall. Such Scrape.

Are Jane's Walks becoming a victim of their own success?

When my wife and I first started going on these walks back in 2009 you would have about 10-20 people on a walk (as an average). Obviously weather and where the walk is will play a role, but when we went on the Bridgeland walk yesterday there was probably 50-60 people.

This made it incredibly hard to actually hear any discussion and talking points throughout the walk, and plus with such a large group size a lot of time was simply taken up walking from point to point (however it was fun to pretty much take over a road with a group that size).

It is great to see such a turnout, but I am wondering how these larger groups can get a more intimate experience on the walks like in years prior?

Old Posted May 7, 2012, 5:55 PM
Beer me Captain

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigtime View Post
Are Jane's Walks becoming a victim of their own success?
went on the Bridgeland walk yesterday there was probably 50-60 people.
I was wondering the same thing.

I was out doing the yard when you and the rest of the "walk" trundled by (7th Ave and 5th St) and I thought, "How could it work with such a large group?"

From the front of the walk to the last person must have been about 3 minutes - enough that the fast walkers would start to get annoyed at waiting if the Leader wanted the whole group to hear them talk.

None the less - a great day for sure - too bad it had already been assigned as "yard clean up day", grrrrrrrr

Do something about your future.

Old Posted May 7, 2012, 6:04 PM
Very tall. Such Scrape.

Quote:
Originally Posted by shreddog View Post
I was wondering the same thing.

I was out doing the yard when you and the rest of the "walk" trundled by (7th Ave and 5th St) and I thought, "How could it work with such a large group?"

From the front of the walk to the last person must have been about 3 minutes - enough that the fast walkers would start to get annoyed at waiting if the Leader wanted the whole group to hear them talk.

None the less - a great day for sure - too bad it had already been assigned as "yard clean up day", grrrrrrrr
You should have started randomly shouting "Bigtime!" until I heard you!

Old Posted May 7, 2012, 9:18 PM
Beer me Captain

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigtime View Post
You should have started randomly shouting "Bigtime!" until I heard you!
Well, if I was yelling anything randomly, it would have been on how pissed I was doing yard work on a sunny day!!

So how did the talks go? Did they wait for the whole group to assemble??

Do something about your future.

Old Posted May 7, 2012, 4:19 PM
My Spoon Is Too Big

I wonder if the crappy weather Saturday skewed the #s, causing people to pile on on Sunday. I went on two walks on Sat, Sunalta had about 20 people, the North Central LRT walk had 6, and 2 of them were the walk leaders.

End

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Calgary > General Discussions, Culture, Dining, Sports & Recreation