HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForumSkyscraper Posters

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Edmonton

Old Posted Sep 13, 2017, 9:31 PM
HVAC guru

I fully expect the coliseum to be demolished within two years, the opportunity cost is too great to keep it around, it's a detriment to the neighborhood and surrounding properties are already being bought and re-developed now that the parking lots are not needed. Should Don Iveson be re-elected he will face pressure to confirm his commitment to not let the site sit fallow. It must be destroyed.

Old Posted Sep 13, 2017, 10:22 PM

Can you share any intel on what's being redeveloped? There's lots of opportunity for sure but there's nothing visible happening yet.

I wouldn't be surprised, or necessarily sad to see it go, but I don't think the arena itself is that much of the problem. Maybe it would provide a symbolic fresh start to see it gone but street design, WGD and all the now excess parking lots combine with a poorly maintained local housing stock to make it an area where making the first redevelopment move will be a big risk, arena or not.

Old Posted Sep 13, 2017, 10:57 PM
HVAC guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikemike View Post
Can you share any intel on what's being redeveloped? There's lots of opportunity for sure but there's nothing visible happening yet.

I wouldn't be surprised, or necessarily sad to see it go, but I don't think the arena itself is that much of the problem. Maybe it would provide a symbolic fresh start to see it gone but street design, WGD and all the now excess parking lots combine with a poorly maintained local housing stock to make it an area where making the first redevelopment move will be a big risk, arena or not.
I haven't lived in that area for years but still assist the league with local development issues, and the Northlands Neighbors group stopped meeting about six months ago, so I may not have all of the details.

But for instance, the parking lot in the WGD meridian where the Oil Kings clubhouse used to be has been bought and a retail development is under construction right now. The huge lot to the west of the coliseum has been turn over to the new municipal development corporation and I expect we'll see that lot get developed sooner rather than later. There is a parking lot on contract just to the south of 118th west of the coliseum that is rumoured to have a mid rise mixed use development built on it. Concordia has expressed interest in the south-east portion of the site at WGD and 112th. There is a lot of housing stock in need of renewal immediately west of the site but a significant amount of new infill houses and duplexes in there too, so it shouldn't be to difficult to keep that going.

There are also complete reviews of the entire Northlands site (I fully expect the race track, stockade and storage yards to be turned over to residential, as it's all very high value property and probably the easiest to get started with given proximity to amenities and LRT) Plus the Stadium Station ARP is being expanded to include a portion of the land and all the ARP's are being reviewed at the same time to add some synergy to the redevelopment of the area.

The coliseum though has to go. I don't think a lot of people really appreciate what negative effect that giant bunker surrounded by parking has on the greater area. We're already seeing positive development as the place winds down, so I'd expect that to accelerate once the place is imploded.

Old Posted Sep 13, 2017, 11:05 PM

Thanks, I'd heard only of Concordia's interest, and I guess it's been a couple months since I travelled that part of WGD.
I wouldn't be at all surprised to see lots of small-scale renewal in the close neighbourhoods just with the change in use. It's amazing how crowds that are turning out to be positive downtown (although still with some complications) were such a negative at northlands.

Old Posted Sep 14, 2017, 12:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kcantor View Post
I did not have an opportunity to listen to the entire debate but I don't understand why the Coliseum was not also turned over to EDC to operate in conjunction with the Shaw Convention Centre and Expo Hall... even if we "close it", you have to keep the lights on and keep it from freezing. It should at least be available as a potential convention venue and for some it could well be quite a distinguishing offering not available in other competitive markets.
Pretty expensive to maintain and heat for the few convention events that would want that type of facility. In any event I suspect the conversation about new convention facilities in the downtown core may pop up again in a few short years. Or may happen within Ice District 2 under private operation ... as part of a mid priced hotel and shopping development.

Old Posted Sep 14, 2017, 12:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EdmTrekker View Post
Pretty expensive to maintain and heat for the few convention events that would want that type of facility. In any event I suspect the conversation about new convention facilities in the downtown core may pop up again in a few short years. Or may happen within Ice District 2 under private operation ... as part of a mid priced hotel and shopping development.
I don't have all the answers but maybe someone in the actual convention business might? How many conventions of 10,000 or 15,000 delegates would place value on being able to hold a theatre style presentation or awards ceremony for all of their delegates? How many conventions with 10,000 or 15,000 delegates here for 3 - 5 days would it take to justify an economic business case for having EDC keep the building open? I don't know the answer but I'd guess a lot fewer than 2nd tier concerts hosting 2,500 or less.

Old Posted Sep 14, 2017, 12:57 AM

Perhaps Amazon could make something out of the Colosseum, I bet the building would be a good fit for an automated warehouse.

Old Posted Sep 14, 2017, 1:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by itom 987 View Post
Perhaps Amazon could make something out of the Colosseum, I bet the building would be a good fit for an automated warehouse.
I doubt the location would work. They would want near an airport, rail line, major highways.

Old Posted Sep 14, 2017, 2:01 AM

Northlands can be the new central terminal for edmonton. The coliseum can be converted in to the main station for Via Rail, greyhound, lrt, ets.

Old Posted Sep 14, 2017, 2:28 AM

Quote:
Why a warehouse? It can be HQ2!

Old Posted Sep 14, 2017, 2:56 AM

HQ2 with a warehouse!

Old Posted Sep 14, 2017, 3:34 AM
Community Guy

OMG you guys make me laugh.

Wake me up when I can see skyscrapers

Old Posted Sep 14, 2017, 3:40 AM

Good write-up here:

Paula Simons: End of an era as Northlands fades away
http://edmontonjournal.com/business/...nds-fades-away

Old Posted Sep 14, 2017, 6:21 PM

Quote:
HQ2 with a warehouse!
And include a high speed rail, Greyhound AND LRT central transit hub!

There, we've solved everything! Make it happen Iveson!

Old Posted Sep 17, 2017, 12:17 AM

Any word on how the HVAC upgrades are going? Are we finally going to have top quality ice?

End

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Edmonton