HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture

Old Posted Jun 21, 2010, 7:32 PM

Cool Stadium In The Sky

Stadium Gang

June 18, 2010

Read More: http://pruned.blogspot.com/2010/06/stadium-gang.html

Quote:
Last Friday, Chicago celebrated the Blackhawks' Stanley Cup victory in half a century with a ticker-tape parade in downtown ending with a rally at the foot of the Michigan Avenue bridge, kitty-corner from the recently completed Trump Tower. According to estimates by the city, 2 million people joined in the celebration, all jam packed in ridiculously small street footage.

- We're curious to find out the reasoning behind the decision to hold the rally in what is essentially a street intersection. The nearby Millennium Park is maybe too precious and dainty to survive the revelry, if it even could contain such a large crowd, but there's Grant Park. It's an incredibly rugged urban park, proving summer after summer that it could handle a stampede of wild festival goers. It's spacious, and more people might actually have seen or at least heard what was happening on the stage besides a sea of heads. Then again, why would you need a clear sightline when, even if your view was blocked by a skyscraper, you could probably get instantaneous updates and live feeds from your social network via a mobile device. It's the urban spectacle of the early 20th century amended by the network culture of the early 21st century, perhaps in the process mitigating the monopoly of Victorian and American 19th park typologies for such occasions. But we'll probably just end up learning that the choice of venue was informed by budgetary issues or simply that the parade ended there.

- We were reminded of Studio Gang's proposal for a sports stadium built right smack-dab in middle of the cramped innards of a city. “Designed for the U.S. Pavilion at the 2004 Venice Biennale,” we are told, “the stadium design explores the potential of an urban stadium to accommodate throngs of people and disappear when not in use. The proposed structure would employ a kinetic seating bowl, lifted 30 floors above street level, comprised of a series of transforming seating and support elements, many constructed to fold into the adjacent high-rise buildings in a dense urban center.” Considering the timeframe of its development, one wonders how much cross-pollination was going on between this project and the then nearly finished Millennium Park, that Frankenstein of programming and constituencies “lifted” above a multi-story garage, as well as New York City's failed bid to host the 2012 Olympics for which, at least in the early proposals, the Olympic Stadium would have been built on the West Side of Manhattan.

Old Posted Jun 21, 2010, 7:49 PM

Wow, that would be so cool to go to a game way up high in the middle of a city.

Old Posted Jun 21, 2010, 8:49 PM
cities|transit|croissants

Cool, but imagine the logistics! Even aside from the obviously challenging engineering questions:

You'd have to massively increase the elevator and emergency stairwell capacity of all the buildings involved, which would be extremely costly and would take away large amounts of their own floor space.

You'd have to string unsightly nets just about everywhere, to stop foul balls and stray pocket change from killing people on the streets below.

You'd need the full assortment of services and conveniences in every seating area - no walking halfway around the stadium to get to the pizza stand or bathrooms.

And not least of all, you'd have to give away a large portion of your profits as rent to the building owners below.

I'm not saying it's impossible, but it's pretty darn impractical. Why bother when every city has plenty of underused industrial land?

Old Posted Jun 21, 2010, 8:54 PM
devout Pizzatarian

^ not to mention that it would probably be vertigo-inducing enough to scare away a significant percentage of the potential fanbase. SSP is a strange world unto itself; a great many people in the general public do not relish the idea of being outside on top of a skyscraper (on an inclined stadium grandstand to boot) the way that we SSPers do.

overall, cool as a concept, but terribly impractical.

Old Posted Jun 21, 2010, 9:26 PM
them bones

However impractical, it's an interesting exploration that could lead to other things, such as a breakthrough in stadium/arena design or even a new typology alltogether. That's kind of the point of many of these architectural competitions and exhibitions...exploration.

Old Posted Jun 21, 2010, 10:06 PM

That is a neat concept, but the footprint of the field is very large and upper deck seating would take on a whole new meaning. Those seats on separate buildings a very far away from the field. it is interesting though.

Old Posted Jun 22, 2010, 12:53 PM
The Vomit Bag.

Neat, yes, Impractical, yes.
"If you can convince the lowest white man he's better than the best colored man, he won't notice you're picking his pocket. Hell, give him somebody to look down on, and he'll empty his pockets for you."-President Lyndon B. Johnson Donald Trump is a poor man's idea of a rich man, a weak man's idea of a strong man, and a stupid man's idea of a smart man. Am I an Asseau?

Old Posted Jun 22, 2010, 1:53 PM

They say that if NYC got the olympics they would have constructed one, but it probably would only have been temporary and the costs paid for.

Old Posted Jun 22, 2010, 3:04 PM
Resident Jackass

Whoever designed this hasn't been to a MLB game. Those fans in the seats on top of the building across the street would need a telescope to see the action. Cirrus is right about the need for netting to prevent balls from falling to the street below.

Old Posted Jun 22, 2010, 3:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by M II A II R II K View Post
They say that if NYC got the olympics they would have constructed one, but it probably would only have been temporary and the costs paid for.

Who says? It doesn't say any such thing in the article.
NYC would have built over the railyards, a different challenge, but nothing approaching the ridiculous nature of the sky stadium.

Old Posted Jun 22, 2010, 3:37 PM
The Vomit Bag.

As a kid, I know that I would have be up against the edge dumping my popcorn on the street many stories down.
"If you can convince the lowest white man he's better than the best colored man, he won't notice you're picking his pocket. Hell, give him somebody to look down on, and he'll empty his pockets for you."-President Lyndon B. Johnson Donald Trump is a poor man's idea of a rich man, a weak man's idea of a strong man, and a stupid man's idea of a smart man. Am I an Asseau?

Old Posted Jun 22, 2010, 3:45 PM

Quote:
As a kid, I know that I would have be up against the edge dumping my popcorn on the street many stories down.
Ultimately that's probably the biggest impediment to this idea. Popcorn is no big deal, but the kid who drops a penny is going to kill somebody. Penny falling from that distance is like a bullet.

You'd need super finely-knit netting (no holes big enough for a coin) extending out in all directions far enough so that nobody could throw anything over them... and that netting would have be to strong enough to weather rain, snow, sleet, and the buildup of bird droppings.

It would probably ugly up all the views so much that it wouldn't be worth it, even if you solved everything else.

Old Posted Jun 22, 2010, 4:06 PM
devout Pizzatarian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cirrus View Post
Popcorn is no big deal, but the kid who drops a penny is going to kill somebody. Penny falling from that distance is like a bullet.
i'm pretty sure that Mythbusters debunked that old urban legend. coins have too much surface area and not nearly enough mass to attain a fatal velocity when dropped off of a skyscraper.

Old Posted Jun 22, 2010, 4:09 PM
The Vomit Bag.

^thank god. I once deliberately dropped a penny from the outdoor observation deck on the CN tower (about 32 years ago)...I recall the terror in my heart as it quickly faded from view....and some imagined carnage being wreaked on the streets below.

Old Posted Jun 22, 2010, 4:09 PM

A net could be put closer to the ground, so even if something too big were to fall then it would at least get cushioned by the net even if it gets through.

Old Posted Jun 22, 2010, 5:02 PM
The Time To Build Is Now

One reason new ballparks have been built is to allow the fans closer to the action and for better views. While this kind of desgin seems futuristic, it is a step backwards, at least for a baseball game.

Old Posted Jun 22, 2010, 7:50 PM

Quote:
i'm pretty sure that Mythbusters debunked that old urban legend. coins have too much surface area and not nearly enough mass to attain a fatal velocity when dropped off of a skyscraper.
Really? Seems like it would depend on the height of the skyscraper, whether the coin was thrown or dropped, and whether it went down on edge or via flat spin.

Anyway, no doubt an interesting episode. I'd like to see it.

Old Posted Jun 22, 2010, 8:39 PM
devout Pizzatarian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cirrus View Post
Really? Seems like it would depend on the height of the skyscraper, whether the coin was thrown or dropped, and whether it went down on edge or via flat spin.
no, their tests proved that a coin tossed off of a building of any height tumbles on its way down, and thus incurs too much air resistance to reach anywhere near a fatal velocity. the terminal velocity for a penny was found to be around 100mph, which would certainly sting like a motherfucker if it hit you, but it would not prove fatal. the old myth that a penny dropped off the empire state building is as deadly as a bullet is just that, a myth.

now, there are still a great many objects other than coins that could be tossed over the edge of the grandstand by a careless fan that could be fatal to those on the streets below, so your point about needing protective netting or other preventative measures still obviously stands.

Old Posted Jun 30, 2010, 10:18 PM

Cool! But one may not forget that the spectators do not sit quiet on their seats!
And how many elevators are required for transporting these mass of people? And how to evacuate the people, if there is a fire in the building with tribune on top?
And we know also of stampades in stadiums. These can be even more fatal in such an arena!

Old Posted Jul 1, 2010, 5:33 AM

What an intriguing concept. I think it would be an incredible and enriching experience. Intimate relationship between sports and city. Can't imagine something like this getting built in Chicago due to exorbitant costs. But hey, there's plenty of cities in this world building CBDs from scratch. Float this idea.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture