HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Urban Art > Google Sketchup

Old Posted Apr 20, 2012, 8:20 PM

Certainly is a ridiculous scale! Good stuff, always guaranteed of looking at some unique designs on this thread.

Old Posted Apr 21, 2012, 12:35 PM

Damn that Worldgate Arch looks gigantic! From how far out on the sea you think it can be seen?

Old Posted Apr 25, 2012, 5:36 AM

The Worldgate Arch would be visible, assuming perfect visibility, from up to 86 miles away before it would become concealed by the earth's curvature. The real world Burj Khalifa is visible from sixty miles away. Worldgate would stand 1,300 feet taller than today's tallest building.

I've been building a city based on World Capitol Project in SimCity to get a better feel for what the street layout, transportation requirements, and zoning demands for such a city might be.

Ultimately, the outskirts of the city are going to be filled with sprawling industrial areas. High rise residential complexes will mingle with high density commerce to provide an inner city which stretches for miles. When the model gets down to finer details, concepts like elevated railways will have to be considered for the heart of the federal and government districts.

This SimCity map (depicting approximately 16 square miles) provides a bit of an idea of what the urban zone and street layout for the inner city will probably look like:

Note the low density industrial areas (farmland). Since this city's history is based partly off of a mixture of Nazi and Soviet cultural ideas (Think Proletariat, Blood and Soil), it seems appropriate that in the inner city, an agricultural/agrarian atmosphere would contrast dense urbanization. Think of big city open spaces like Central park devoted to use as community gardens.

Old Posted May 12, 2012, 7:32 PM

Another Municipal Building:

Some new undeveloped street grid:

Last edited by JHoward88; May 14, 2012 at 4:07 AM.

Old Posted May 15, 2012, 4:04 AM

Old Posted May 15, 2012, 8:34 AM

Massive road network!

Old Posted Jun 4, 2012, 9:58 AM

The orange color of the road markings really fits the atmosphere. Good job on the Ministry of enlightment! The lowrises compliment the tower quite nicely.

Old Posted Aug 15, 2012, 2:39 AM

If you add up just the money I've spent on tickets to the Opera and the Symphony this year, they would easily have paid for the cost of a new computer; and yet, I still feel that I can't justify the cost necessary to get that new system. Thus, World Capitol Project remains, as it has been for a long while now, on hiatus. Life's demands and priorities have changed a lot over the last two years. This project has reflected that. Every so often I do like to pop in here and remind folks that I haven't given up on it.

Below: The Department of Economic Logistics appears directly behind the Ministry of Enlightenment HQ. In theory, that agency would house a data center which could link the retail logistics of all major corporations in the world, providing a seamless interface that would encompass all buying and selling in the world. Essentially all businesses in the world would work in tandem to process their business transactions through a shared logistics, inventory, and monetary system.

The background depicts a new flag of the world, as it is in this alternative historical timeline.

Old Posted Sep 22, 2012, 1:49 AM

Old Posted Sep 23, 2012, 6:07 AM

very nice pic

Old Posted Sep 23, 2012, 11:52 PM

The "Jaliva Freebund" - a macro-government agency which presides as the banner over all of the other factions and elements of government in the world, it is essentially a corporate fascist-type entity which is divided into an operations division and two divisions of social services.

We see generic city blocks in the foreground. The Jaliva Seat being designed in the background is comprised of Primary Services Divisional Wing (on Left) and Secondary Services Wing (on Right) with the Operations Division occupying the Germania-Style Dome.

When this project is done, it will be replete with no shortage of megalomaniacal domed structures. This dome as it appears below, however, is the one in my project which is most closely modeled after the "great hall" which Albert Speer designed.

Old Posted Sep 24, 2012, 3:13 PM
BANNED

Loved, very nice modern representation what Hitler would like to do in Berlin. I approved the building design but not Hitler at all.

Old Posted May 5, 2013, 7:16 AM

The new World Headquarters of the Communist Party of China as it will appear in World Capitol Project:

Old Posted May 11, 2013, 6:17 PM

Good to see you're still working on this. That's a massive building. It also looks quite Chinese.

Old Posted May 12, 2013, 6:25 AM

I purchased a new computer - an AMD FX8300 3.3 Ghz 8 Core. It's got 16 Gigs of RAM and a Radeon 7770 1 Gb Video Card... but unfortunately, Sketchup doesn't seem to be able to benefit from multiple core technology.

Sketchup jams while utilizing only 13% of my CPU... which leaves me facing the prospect of either cancelling this project or researching a different program to continue it in.

Advice would be appreciated. I've been looking into Blender, though it appears to have a rather steep learning curve.

Old Posted Nov 22, 2016, 10:07 AM
nuttin

Sketch up like most programs only run on one processor. So you need a pc with a strong single processor obviously.

Old Posted Nov 26, 2016, 9:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vellu View Post
Good to see you're still working on this. That's a massive building. It also looks quite Chinese.
Notice the spires, it looks a specific cultural style for sure, but not Chinese.
clue: Autoctonous North American .......

Very cool Howard. The high contrast pics are terrifying. You should totally change your empire's religion to Tengriism. It fits the script and flag.
Riding the infinite blue sky....

Old Posted Apr 12, 2020, 9:36 PM

After a number of years, I am bringing the World Capitol Project back to life - This time, thru the lens of Cities Skylines.

Last edited by JHoward88; Apr 13, 2020 at 7:50 PM.

Old Posted Apr 15, 2020, 11:39 AM

went back and looked through this thread. Lots of interesting stuff. hope you bring some of the larger than life ideas to this new model.

Old Posted Apr 18, 2020, 8:19 PM

Major buildings and road networks are being manually added to reflect the key points of interest in this fictional city. Community content is used to add the customization necessary to depict the city's scale. As soon as this is finished, I will start building the outlying city in the spaces which remain.

Lucius Council World Headquarters, with Aircraft Carrier in Foreground:

Major Arterial and Freeway Network:

Soviet Reich Chancellery, with windmill towers:

Tri-Party Congress, Diplomatic Assembly Tower, United Nations:

Overview, looking down State Street toward the East. In the foreground, Vertical Farms and Zeppelin Terminal can be seen:

Overview, looking West on State Street: Isis Centre triangular towers appear on the left, United States Embassy (World Trade Center Towers) on the right:

Columbia Centre, United States Capitol:

Public Works & Corrections, Some Wall Street Towers:

Looking out over the city from the top of Gult Tower:

Stadium District:

Volksheim District:

The General Skyline from Bristol Bay:

Last edited by JHoward88; Apr 19, 2020 at 12:03 AM.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Urban Art > Google Sketchup