HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Vancouver > 2010 Olympic Winter Games [Archive]

Old Posted Nov 2, 2009, 4:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by allan_kuan View Post
I'm constantly annoyed at how some people want to stop everyone's fun. It's been done before with past Olympic-related events.
whats annoying too is the protesters don't realize this money wouldn't exist for their wants and most of the funding or a large part comes from corporations and not taxpayers

Old Posted Nov 2, 2009, 6:14 AM
Vancouver Moderator

Aside from the negative attention created by the protesters, the downtown eastside may actually benefit from the Olympics. There will be a lot of media coming to Vancouver during the 2010 games and while most of it will be focused on the Olympics itself, there will also be a lot of attention placed on the downtown eastside and criticisms on the governments.

Old Posted Nov 2, 2009, 7:11 AM

Quote:
whats annoying too is the protesters don't realize this money wouldn't exist for their wants and most of the funding or a large part comes from corporations and not taxpayers
That is exactly it! These protesters seem to have this image in their head that there was a big pile of money sitting on the legislature's lawn with everyone going, "What should we do with all this free money?"

If anything it puts the spot light on Vancouver and gives the politicians more of a reason to do something so they don't look so bad internationally.

Not to mention many of the homeless down there who are simply lazy and don't have a severe mental or physical condition (I would say that is about 40%) could have worked as a laborer on one of the many many construction projects that were spawned by these games and would have benefited from the games!

Old Posted Nov 4, 2009, 5:50 AM

Quote:
Protester refuses to apologize for torch disruption

Updated: Tue Nov. 03 2009 18:29:28

ctvbc.ca

One of the people involved in the protests that disrupted the 2010 torch relay in Victoria refused to apologize Tuesday to the young torchbearer who got caught up in the chaos.

Nicholas Dronsfield, 17, who has cerebral palsy, had planned on running with the torch on Friday.

But his run was cancelled because protesters blocked the route.

Nicholas, who was determined to run the torch on his own, travelled to Nanaimo the next day and was able to carry out his goal.

CTV News tried to reach several protest organizers to see if they had anything to say about the disruption.

None returned calls.

Chris Shaw, a well-known anti-Olympic demonstrator who was in the crowd Friday night, said he didn't think an apology was necessary.

"I would say I do understand that on a personal level, you were disappointed. I would hope that Nicholas and his family would understand the broader concerns that many of us feel, that the Olympic Games are not a good thing for British Columbia, they've hurt the province, hurt a lot of people."

Shaw added: "If some people were discomforted by what we did, then, you know, it's unfortunate. (But) this is what democracy looks like. It's messy."

Nicholas said an apology wouldn't have meant much to him, anyway.

"I don't think that an apology from the protesters would have much meaning to me right now," he said. "The way they expressed their opinion just was so negative and destructive that an apology would be so meaningless to me."
These people do not realize they do more harm than good by blocking people's way. Sure, there are reasons to argue against the Olympics. But... can we stop it from continuing? No. That'd be a waste of billions of dollars of money and it'd be more like suiciding in front of a full-speed freight train to try to make it stop in 10 m. And yet, they still try to stand in the path... not realizing that their actions and the media attention around it will not get them any more support than before... in fact it can turn moderate opposers away.

Democracy does not have to be messy. Whoever thinks that it is inherently so is wrong. There are ways to make it civilized and peaceful... which some people choose not to do.

Finally... I highy respect and applaud the torchbearer's decision to not accept apologies from the protestors. As mentioned in the article it is hollow for him to do so when they committed such disgusting actions... not to mention the other despicable actions that they have done in past Olympic events (making children cry, placing anti-Olympic messages in candy, forcing people to not see the torch at their own expense and time, etc).

Old Posted Nov 4, 2009, 6:08 AM

And yet, Shaw wonders why he's being watched by the RCMP...the guy obviously doesn't know his moral boundaries.

Old Posted Nov 4, 2009, 6:18 AM
Dérive-r

If I was a torchbearer, I'd say I was doing it as a means to protest against the anti-Olympic movement, and if they were going to get in my way and prevent me from said protesting than they're directly violating my democratic rights and hence huge hypocrites.

That's essentially how I see anti-Olympic protesters. They think they have the right to disrupt the peaceful actions of other people but in doing so they are infringing on those people's rights. If their actions infringe on the rights of others then they shouldn't have the right to carry out said actions in the first place.

I don't have a problem with people congregating on the side of the street to protest the Olympics but they shouldn't have the right to march into an Olympic event and force people to listen to their opinion. That's not very democratic at all.

Old Posted Nov 4, 2009, 6:37 AM

Shameful to see torchbearers were allowed jump the queue for the H1N1 vaccine, as per CBC.

Old Posted Nov 4, 2009, 7:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by whatnext View Post
Shameful to see torchbearers were allowed jump the queue for the H1N1 vaccine, as per CBC.
Yeah, how dare they immunize a group of people who are going to come into close contact with large groups of the public and potential spread H1N1 across Canada!

Old Posted Nov 4, 2009, 7:34 AM

Everybody could use a healthy dose of H1N1. Honestly, I stopped being overly concerned about it when I learned there are 5 players in the NHL still actively playing WITH H1N1. Yes, if you can play professional hockey at a high level with the virus, and aren't instantly put on bed rest, as the media seems to portray will happen (instant death!) is it really that serious? Yes, I know, some people have died from it (far less than have died from the real flu, mind you) but, I'm in no hurry to get my vaccination. And if they want to give it to the torch bearers so be it. And the Calgary Flames can have it, too! I'm not in the "not believing in vaccinations" crowd, but I've never even had a flu shot before.

The MEDIA is definitely loving the mass hysteria from it, that they created, though

Old Posted Nov 4, 2009, 2:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yume-sama View Post
Everybody could use a healthy dose of H1N1. Honestly, I stopped being overly concerned about it when I learned there are 5 players in the NHL still actively playing WITH H1N1. Yes, if you can play professional hockey at a high level with the virus, and aren't instantly put on bed rest, as the media seems to portray will happen (instant death!) is it really that serious? Yes, I know, some people have died from it (far less than have died from the real flu, mind you) but, I'm in no hurry to get my vaccination. And if they want to give it to the torch bearers so be it. And the Calgary Flames can have it, too! I'm not in the "not believing in vaccinations" crowd, but I've never even had a flu shot before.

The MEDIA is definitely loving the mass hysteria from it, that they created, though
I have a few friends who have it. There is some over-hype over the vaccination debacle, but that being said, it is an extremely nasty version of the flu, and is very contagious.

I'd rather see H1N1 on the news all day than the latest hijinks of of some celebrity, or endless coverage of a single blond girl missing somewhere.

Old Posted Nov 4, 2009, 4:10 PM
loafing in lotusland

Quote:
Originally Posted by allan_kuan View Post
These people do not realize they do more harm than good by blocking people's way. Sure, there are reasons to argue against the Olympics.
It's obvious that these protesters feel very passionate about these reasons. They honestly feel these reasons are very important.
Quote:
But... can we stop it from continuing? No. That'd be a waste of billions of dollars of money and it'd be more like suiciding in front of a full-speed freight train to try to make it stop in 10 m. And yet, they still try to stand in the path...
Seems like they successfully got the train to reroute onto th siderails and got their message out. Seems pretty successful to me.

Of course their actions won't stop the train. They know this better than you or I. But they're passionate about their cause and want to get their message out.
Quote:
not realizing that their actions and the media attention around it will not get them any more support than before... in fact it can turn moderate opposers away.
I haven't seen any "pro-Olympic protesters" lauding the benefits of the Olympics... sure it may turn some off, but people aren't stupid. Many, for example, see sensational headlines like "guy with cerebral palsy denied" and think to themselves... okay, what's the other side of the coin... and why is that relevant other than to evoke an emotional response?
Quote:
Democracy does not have to be messy. Whoever thinks that it is inherently so is wrong. There are ways to make it civilized and peaceful... which some people choose not to do.
Amazingly, it can be all three. Civilized, Peaceful and Messy. I think this accomplished this. There was no violence, no vicious words flung and just obstruction of an event that they truly believe is harmful. Just because we may not agree with them doesn't mean that they're evil.
Quote:
Finally... I highy respect and applaud the torchbearer's decision to not accept apologies from the protestors.
I don't believe one was offered in the first place, so a refusal is pretty easy.
Also, I believe he said it wouldn't mean much, not that he wouldn't accept one.
Quote:
As mentioned in the article it is hollow for him to do so when they committed such disgusting actions... not to mention the other despicable actions that they have done in past Olympic events (making children cry, placing anti-Olympic messages in candy, forcing people to not see the torch at their own expense and time, etc).
I guess I see things a different way. I don't see what they did as hollow and am surprised at the amount of vitriol here. It's really not a big deal to let them protest and this is being sensationalized by the media. Why else would they even MENTION that the guy has cerebral palsy than to stimulate an emotional response from the public. To me, that's borderline not objective journalism.

Also, why the big deal about getting political messages in trick or treat candy? The kids don't care, it's the adults that do and it offers a great opportunity for parents to teach children an object lesson on either side of the fence: pro-O or anti-O.

Kids are curious and if you present all the facts, they're pretty smart about seeing through crap... whether it's pro-Olympic crap or anti-Olympic crap.

Old Posted Nov 4, 2009, 8:48 PM
So very tired...

Quote:
It's really not a big deal to let them protest and this is being sensationalized by the media.
Sensationalism in the media is something that goes well beyond this torch relay....red herring.

No one has posited that they cannot protest. At least no one sensible has. What we are mad about is the fact they are forcing their will upon the rest of us by forcing a cancelation of an event that others want to participate in. Why should they have that right? Why is their right to protest greater than other's right to take part in, or watch the torch relay?

As mentioned....stand in a conspicuous location with placards and chant your message...and let people decide for themselves. Going so far as reroute/cancel the relay is infringing on the rights of those who wish to see it, and that's why you are seeing so much vitriol here...it's a strait up hypoctritical douche manuever.

Old Posted Nov 4, 2009, 9:16 PM

2010 Olympic torch already on eBay for $2,500

Getting your hands on an Olympic torch is simple — that is if you have $2,500 to spare.

As the third day of the 45,000-kilometre torch relay came to a close Tuesday, bidding remained open for two 2010 Olympic torches up for grabs.

“Grab this opportunity to obtain such a rare collectible, in excellent condition ‘still warm’ while the torch relay is still in progress!!” reads an eBay auction description.

The 2010 torch was lit and used in the Greece portion of the torch relay, according to the Olympic memorabilia collector who is selling the item.

EBay seller douramakos is asking a cool $2,500 USD plus $120 in shipping for the authentic torch. So far one bid has been placed in the auction which ends Nov. 7.

Those wanting a truly British Columbian experience can try to haggle with a local on Craigslist.

“I will be running in the 2010 Olympic Torch Run and am willing to sell my torch,” the ad placed Monday reads. “I will be running in the later part of the run, close to the end in B.C.”

The seller, who wants to sell through a notary to remain confidential, is offering their torch, sleeve bag, torch stand and commemorative book for $2,000.

The highest bidder will take possession of the torch in mid-February after the runner has had a chance to have a “show and tell with family and a local elementary school.”

Bidding should be open until Christmas.

In total, Bombardier manufactured 12,000 of the torches for the 106-day relay. Each torchbearer who wishes to keep their torch must pay $350 — whether they hawk it or keep it afterwards is their own discretion.

http://www.theprovince.com/2010+Olym...963/story.html

Old Posted Nov 4, 2009, 9:17 PM

Anyone wanna lend me $2500?

Old Posted Nov 4, 2009, 9:29 PM

Hmm, seems a bit over-priced. A Salt Lake City one is up for only $999

Old Posted Nov 4, 2009, 10:05 PM

Ya wait until a few hundred more are on the market.

Old Posted Nov 4, 2009, 10:08 PM

Yeah, considering 12,000 of them will be out there once the relay is over, there is bound to be a bunch more.

Old Posted Nov 5, 2009, 12:14 AM
Transit User

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by bulliver View Post
Sensationalism in the media is something that goes well beyond this torch relay....red herring.

No one has posited that they cannot protest. At least no one sensible has. What we are mad about is the fact they are forcing their will upon the rest of us by forcing a cancelation of an event that others want to participate in. Why should they have that right? Why is their right to protest greater than other's right to take part in, or watch the torch relay?

As mentioned....stand in a conspicuous location with placards and chant your message...and let people decide for themselves. Going so far as reroute/cancel the relay is infringing on the rights of those who wish to see it, and that's why you are seeing so much vitriol here...it's a strait up hypoctritical douche manuever.
Well, why I personally couldn’t give a rats ass about the protesters (or for that matter Olympics), you could also argue that the act of having Olympics infringes on the rights of others by inconveniencing them is some way (let’s say by preventing me to use Georgia viaduct). So by having any kind of event there is always somebody who pays the price (arguably a small one at that).

Now, given that *we* have decide to host the circus in our town you cannot now opt out and say that you don’t want the sideshow attractions that come with the circus. One comes with the other. So enjoy the show – it won’t happen again in our lifetime.

Old Posted Nov 5, 2009, 7:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeeCee View Post
Yeah, how dare they immunize a group of people who are going to come into close contact with large groups of the public and potential spread H1N1 across Canada!
Your average Starbuck's barrista is coming into contact with more people on a daily basis than someone carrying a stick for 300 m.

Old Posted Nov 12, 2009, 9:07 PM

http://www.vancouversun.com/sports/2...797/story.html

Ditch the cynicism and enjoy the Games

Well, the Olympic Games' organizers said they would help stimulate our economy and this week we will see the truth in that statement.

Thank the protesters who are already gathering in Victoria, putting the finishing touches on their plans and their signs as they wait for the arrival of the Olympic torch from Greece.

By the time they're finished, they will have given everyone a boost, thanks to the way spending ripples through the local economy.

Those protesters are a capitalist's dream, except, of course, for the attitude thing.

Those who are not from here, or couch-surfing, will stay in motels and hotels. They will buy food in local stores, eat in local restaurants and check out the bargains in Value Village.

Those coming from the mainland will boost the bottom line of B.C. Ferries and probably Pacific Coach Lines.

They will buy masks from the Halloween selection at local dollar stores -- if you don't already have your Gordon Campbell mask, you're probably too late -- and big sheets of paper and paint and so on.

Their protests will mean overtime for police officers, security firms and probably some reporters. It will be a nice economic boost all around.

All of this so they can tell the world that they are not thrilled about the Games. Yawn.

Complaints about costs and misplaced priorities have swirled around the Olympics for decades.

Here is a prediction, based on past Games: All but the most cynical will get swept up by the Olympic buzz.

It will be hard to escape the excitement as we find ourselves in the world's spotlight, with athletes and fans from just about everywhere discovering what we take for granted.

I was in Calgary for the 1988 Winter Games. The city came alive and the Olympic critics quickly learned to keep their mouths shut. There was no point trying to poop a massive international party.

Admittedly, this is not Alberta. Calgarians don't cotton to complainers; they respect people who get things done. Here, for some reason, we give way too much time to whiners.

And except for the torch run, Vancouver Island will miss much of the excitement.

Besides, the Calgary Games came at the end of a lengthy downturn. The Olympics provided a tremendous boost to the economy and gave the crazy Albertans a chance to forget that their mortgages were for more than the value of their homes.

Twenty-two years later, the Games arrive as the B.C. government is scrambling to find money to cover even its most basic costs and we are seeing cuts to health, education and just about everything else the government does.

The government's ineptitude has not helped. Neither has its preference for secrecy.

Only after prodding from the New Democrats, for example, did the Liberals admit to spending almost $1 million on 3,000 tickets to Games events.

What is more offensive here -- that government MLAs will get free tickets? That the government has found yet another under-the-table way to subsidize the Olympics? That our money is being frittered away? Or that the million dollars could have been put to better use?

Mary McNeil, minister of state for the Olympics, was quick to note that with 1.6 million tickets available to various events, 3,000 is a tiny number. But that claim falls apart when you realize that there is little demand for tickets to mind-numbingly boring sports such as biathlon.

And what about the provincial government employees who are being "volunteered" for Olympics service? Some are looking at 12-hour days. They will get tired. Watch the sick time after the Games.

It would take forensic auditors a few years to sort out the true cost of these Games -- you can bet that many hard costs have been neatly buried -- but there is no point in tossing more money down this well. So let's not bother.

We should also not forget the impact on individuals who will be unable to deal with government offices during the Games, or on the businesses forced to shut down for the duration.

In short, there are valid reasons for concern about these Games, although you won't likely to hear them from the protesters. Besides, if they were honestly concerned about the cost of the Games, they would simply stay home.

dobee@tc.canwest.com
© Copyright (c) Canwest News Service

Last edited by mr.x; Nov 12, 2009 at 9:33 PM.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Vancouver > 2010 Olympic Winter Games [Archive]