HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations

Old Posted May 13, 2017, 2:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by the urban politician View Post
Spyguy does it again!

I don't think that's a lobby. I think that is retail space for an Apple-ish company. Why would you waste Mich Ave frontage on such a huge lobby? You gotta go retail
I think people are just using "Lobby" fairly loosely - at least I was. Hope it's more of a retail/commercial space. No matter what, if it's occupied then it'll be nice especially at night if they do the lighting right.

Old Posted May 13, 2017, 3:07 PM

I think another burberry type of street frontage would also look good in this area. As long as there's a tower on top of it.

Old Posted May 13, 2017, 4:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by marothisu View Post
I think people are just using "Lobby" fairly loosely - at least I was. Hope it's more of a retail/commercial space. No matter what, if it's occupied then it'll be nice especially at night if they do the lighting right.
This is correct. The space is for retail.

Old Posted May 13, 2017, 8:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by marothisu View Post
The tower itself is whatever, but I like the glass lobby. If done right and lighted correctly, it could have a nice impact at street level at night. I'm thinking kind along the lines of the Bank of America Tower in NYC at night.
the base is excellent looking as we mostly concur..the light and airy theme is perfect for this strip along Michigan avenue... as for the rest of tower its meh..like Victor said..a glass box that we have seen over and over again..the small stilts is a nice touch but without the added height its really another average to slightly above average tower...nothing special by any means.. just feel like missed opportunities with these developers on being so conservative with the height

Old Posted May 13, 2017, 9:14 PM
Show me the blueprints

Kind of related question...

Does anyone know if 320 N Michigan owns the air rights to either of the short structures next to it? I'd love to see buildings obscure those awful eighties vomit colored side walls.

There is no goodness in him, and his power to convince people otherwise is beyond understanding

Old Posted May 13, 2017, 10:49 PM

Give Sterling Bay a break, it's their first real highrise project. They obviously are savvy enough not to get crazy until they have their feet under them. Hopefully this project is knocked out of the park, they make a crap ton of money, and come back in the next boom for more with a more exciting project.

Old Posted May 13, 2017, 11:35 PM
tilted & shifted

This is fantastic. I'm digging the slim profile. It looks a lot taller than 475'.

Old Posted May 14, 2017, 2:19 AM

They seem to show the renderings from a very convenient angle. The model bkl's office window is clearly more rectangular. Slim from the eastern perspective, but kind of squat when you look at it from the north or south.

The Michigan Ave frontage is nice, but based on the selectiveness of the rendering angles, I assume there is a big ass podium behind it.

Old Posted May 14, 2017, 4:09 AM

Montrose & Clarendon is under construction and the tower crane is up.

Last edited by BVictor1; May 14, 2017 at 4:51 AM.

Old Posted May 14, 2017, 2:09 PM

5/14
The Sinclair

7/10/16
Didn't anyone think of the children when they blocked the Sears Tower!?

Old Posted May 14, 2017, 5:36 PM
THAT Guy

^Should have yelled more about protecting your views, er I mean the children/sunlight/traffic, at the community meetings

---
Quote:
Originally Posted by jc5680 View Post
They seem to show the renderings from a very convenient angle. The model bkl's office window is clearly more rectangular. Slim from the eastern perspective, but kind of squat when you look at it from the north or south.

The Michigan Ave frontage is nice, but based on the selectiveness of the rendering angles, I assume there is a big ass podium behind it.
N-S should be similar to Mila. Really the main views of this thing would be from the E-W or N coming down Michigan which is the only unfortunate part as it will block a good chunk of Carbide & Carbon.

Not sure what you mean by podium behind it - for cars? All the parking (~30 spaces) is on two floors below.

Old Posted May 14, 2017, 10:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by spyguy View Post
^Should have yelled more about protecting your views, er I mean the children/sunlight/traffic, at the community meetings

---

N-S should be similar to Mila. Really the main views of this thing would be from the E-W or N coming down Michigan which is the only unfortunate part as it will block a good chunk of Carbide & Carbon.

Not sure what you mean by podium behind it - for cars? All the parking (~30 spaces) is on two floors below.
Good to hear, it just seemed to me from the renderings that they might be obscuring something. The model in the office window is quite rectangular, but you don't see it in the renderings. It reads more squareish, like Mila.

Old Posted May 15, 2017, 2:50 AM
Biased in a good way?

reference:

Quote:
Originally Posted by XIII View Post
Not a great pic, but bkl has a model for a new building at Michigan and South Water in the window. Looks to be about as tall as carbon and carbide with a Mila-like massing.

Edit: holy cow, how do I resize this?

Eh, might be a bit rectangular, but certainly not glaringly.

Old Posted May 15, 2017, 1:50 PM
you know where I'll be

Quote:
Originally Posted by i_am_hydrogen View Post
This is fantastic. I'm digging the slim profile. It looks a lot taller than 475'.
Agree fully. The tower itself is great....all glass boxes not created equal - not even close....

Old Posted May 15, 2017, 1:52 PM
you know where I'll be

Quote:
Originally Posted by LouisVanDerWright View Post
Give Sterling Bay a break, it's their first real highrise project. They obviously are savvy enough not to get crazy until they have their feet under them. Hopefully this project is knocked out of the park, they make a crap ton of money, and come back in the next boom for more with a more exciting project.
Prob more Magellan here than Sterling Bay....Sterling Bay's bringing the site to this party....

Old Posted May 15, 2017, 1:59 PM
devout Pizzatarian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikemak27 View Post
Is that the Michigan Avenue site that steely Dan told us not to get to excited about?
i never told anyone not to get excited about it, i merely said that it was foolish to hope for a 43 story residential tower in chicago to be in the 650' height range.

i said that 450' was a FAR more likely ballpark height figure, and at 475', that's essentially where we are at.

Old Posted May 15, 2017, 2:37 PM
BANNED

Shame, it'd be nice to get 700 ft there

Old Posted May 15, 2017, 2:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steely Dan View Post
i never told anyone not to get excited about it, i merely said that it was foolish to hope for a 43 story residential tower in chicago to be in the 650' height range.

i said that 450' was a FAR more likely ballpark height figure, and at 475', that's essentially where we are at.
Oh no, I agree with you. I don't know why everyone got their pantaloons in a bunch over something that Ald Reilly would have squashed anyways.

Old Posted May 15, 2017, 3:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikemak27 View Post
Oh no, I agree with you. I don't know why everyone got their pantaloons in a bunch over something that Ald Reilly would have squashed anyways.
Maybe here he wouldn't as there are no bitchy neighbors in the vicinity, only hotels and office buildings.

Old Posted May 15, 2017, 3:17 PM

Like it, love it , hate it, I think we can all agree that this is as an improvement from what is there now at least.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations