HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > Proposals

Closed Thread

Old Posted Feb 13, 2020, 3:07 AM
DENNAB

Quote:
Originally Posted by rivernorthlurker View Post
Agreed - can buy a unit in Vista instead for that thrill ride.
The highest balcony of Vista is about 1150 feet, which is simply insane. The weather is probably different up there most of the time.

Quote:
You wonder. Along with the occasional jackass that wants to see what a beer can looks like floating down 900'. Have you ever been on a balcony that high? I was in an apartment with a balcony on the 44th floor and I got wheezy looking over the edge. I can't imagine the 90th floor or whatever. It's nuts and, quite frankly, uncalled for.
Yea, I live ~30 floors up and have a balcony, took some getting used to. I don't see why it's uncalled for though, it's kind of awesome although the wind makes it less fun than you'd think. Also heights are terrifying.

Old Posted Feb 13, 2020, 3:50 AM
He/his/him. >~<, QED!

Quote:
Originally Posted by bhawk66 View Post
You wonder. Along with the occasional jackass that wants to see what a beer can looks like floating down 900'. Have you ever been on a balcony that high? I was in an apartment with a balcony on the 44th floor and I got wheezy looking over the edge. I can't imagine the 90th floor or whatever. It's nuts and, quite frankly, uncalled for.
And also kids...

Old Posted Feb 13, 2020, 4:47 AM

I love high balconies. I've been at 50+ floor and haven't really had issues. Mine is much lower, but that also means it's much louder (sirens, drunks, etc.)

Sure it can be windy (so bungee down loose items and put up some guard for rolling beer cans, etc.), but most of the time it's relatively calm. Wind is mostly dependent on how 'protected' they are. Vista's are wedge internally which would block most of the wind. In some older buildings they just 'hang' out, which would be less ideal imo.

Vertigo is obviously dependent on the person, but it's often negated by other tall surrounding buildings.

Old Posted Feb 13, 2020, 2:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by emathias View Post
And not to be morbid, but if one of the justifications for gun control is suicide reduction one wonders about whether balcony control should be a thing.
We have that after a fashion, though. Guidelines for windows that don't open in hotel rooms. And agreement to not publicize high rise or bridge suicides. High railings and fencing on bridges with walkways.

Old Posted Feb 14, 2020, 1:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chris08876 View Post
Just remove the balconies and you have a good design. That side perspective, perfectly illustrates the vibe. Your like "oh.. not bad" but than you see those teeth as your work your way from the base (balconies), grinding away, like a bad case of bruxism, at your hopes and dreams. Just ruins the look of it.
Folks - I rarely post ... but know your history.

https://thecharnelhouse.org/2014/03/...ne-tower-1922/

Old Posted Feb 14, 2020, 2:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OrdoSeclorum View Post
We have that after a fashion, though. Guidelines for windows that don't open in hotel rooms. And agreement to not publicize high rise or bridge suicides. High railings and fencing on bridges with walkways.
Actually, I think this is part of why highrise people like balconies, even if they don't regularly hang out on them. Most highrise windows are limited to only open 4", so a balcony is the best way to feel part of the outdoor world without having to leave the comfort and privacy of your home and go down to the ground.

Even so, I would much rather have a balcony that is recessed, or partially recessed into the building than one that is like a gang plank sticking off the side.

Old Posted Feb 14, 2020, 5:53 PM
All-American City Boy

Quote:
Originally Posted by jrickw View Post

39 posts in almost 14 years. Truly a man of few words.
4. Chicago Board of Trade - Chicago - Holabird & Root - Photo
5. Cathedral of Learning - Pittsburgh - Charles Klauder - Photo

Old Posted Feb 14, 2020, 6:21 PM

Mic drop

Old Posted Feb 15, 2020, 5:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jrickw View Post

Glad both of these designs were not picked

Old Posted Mar 24, 2020, 6:23 PM

Did this one get approved yet? This was put in city hall back in January, any updates?

Old Posted Mar 24, 2020, 6:42 PM
DENNAB

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrazyCres View Post
Did this one get approved yet? This was put in city hall back in January, any updates?
I think it was submitted, they're really dragging their feet with this one and considering everything going on right now, and the vulnerability of this project I wouldn't be surprised if it were put on the shelf for a while, hopefully not cancelled outright though.

Old Posted Mar 24, 2020, 6:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zapatan View Post
I think it was submitted, they're really dragging their feet with this one and considering everything going on right now, and the vulnerability of this project I wouldn't be surprised if it were put on the shelf for a while, hopefully not cancelled outright though.
They have been very busy, and productive, at phase one - the rehab of the old building.

Chicago | Tribune Tower Rehab by Harry Carmichael, on Flickr

Updates on this are usually posted in the GeneralDevelopments thread, so you won't see them here.

Old Posted Mar 25, 2020, 5:12 PM
DENNAB

Quote:
They have been very busy, and productive, at phase one - the rehab of the old building.
Right, that's the easy part, getting a Sears Tower sized building approved and built is another story. Not saying it can't happen though.

I forget if there was an approval deadline but since the world is paused for the foreseeable future I'll just assume it's still on the back burner.

Old Posted Mar 26, 2020, 1:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zapatan View Post
Right, that's the easy part, getting a Sears Tower sized building approved and built is another story. Not saying it can't happen though.

I forget if there was an approval deadline but since the world is paused for the foreseeable future I'll just assume it's still on the back burner.
The redesign addressed a lot of the community concerns, and I believe the alderman pushed back on height concerns pointing out that TT is two blocks away, so I don't see why it wouldn't get approved.

Old Posted Mar 26, 2020, 1:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gandalf612 View Post
The redesign addressed a lot of the community concerns, and I believe the alderman pushed back on height concerns pointing out that TT is two blocks away, so I don't see why it wouldn't get approved.
I was at the meeting. Everything seemed to be resolved. They specifically noted that they did not plan to break ground for some time (not until 2021 if I recall). That schedule might be the saving grace for this beautiful supertall, we will see.

Old Posted Mar 30, 2020, 9:48 PM

This project will be on the April Plan Commission: https://www.chicago.gov/city/en/dept...n-hearing.html

Old Posted Mar 30, 2020, 11:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Randomguy34 View Post
This project will be on the April Plan Commission: https://www.chicago.gov/city/en/dept...n-hearing.html
OHH myyy! 1,442ft is likely measured from lower Illinois?

Old Posted Mar 30, 2020, 11:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ricochet48 View Post
OHH myyy! 1,442ft is likely measured from lower Illinois?
seems so... the diagrams with the 1422ft number specifically marks upper Illinois as 0'0" elevation

Old Posted Mar 30, 2020, 11:59 PM
DENNAB

I wonder why they haven't been measuring from lower Illinois until now?

Exciting stuff nonetheless

Old Posted Mar 31, 2020, 2:21 AM

Confirmed, 1422' from Illinois, 1442' from lower Illinois. Have no idea why the hell they wouldn't just go 10' more on the architectural tip... Maybe they are planning on levitating an eye up there that will barely exceed the Sears?

Reddit.com/r/REbubble

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Closed Thread

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > Proposals