HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations

Old Posted Jul 13, 2018, 9:30 PM
Inveterate Angeleno

Any relation to Harvey? That would explain a lot.

Old Posted Jul 13, 2018, 10:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prahaboheme View Post
Does anyone understand the rationale of an appeal? I cannot think of a sole reason. This is bound on 4 sides by:

1) a highrise (Proper) to its East
2) El Centro apartments to its North
3) the W to its West
4) the Palladium due South

All sarcasm aside, what is the opposition?
NIMBY don't need a reason. They just don't want something build.

They have lots of excuses, but usually no reason.

Old Posted Jul 14, 2018, 7:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LAsam View Post
From the LA Times article:

Michael Weinstein, who heads the AIDS Healthcare Foundation, said his group will file an appeal of the ruling. “We feel that the [project’s environmental impact report] is wrong,” he said in an interview. “It doesn’t take into account the impacts on the area.” In the Palladium lawsuit, lawyers for AIDS Healthcare Foundation made an array of claims. They argued that four members of the planning commission improperly met with the developer’s representatives in “ex parte” meetings — conversations that were not part of the panel’s scheduled public sessions.

Those private meetings showed that the commission, whose members are appointed by Mayor Eric Garcetti, had a “disqualifying bias” in favor of the project and that its decision was “fundamentally unfair,” the AIDS group said.

Hogue disagreed, saying the opponents failed to identify evidence of actual bias involving the commission.

The judge also disagreed with the claim by the AIDS nonprofit that it had been denied a fair hearing before the council’s Planning and Land Use Management Committee. And she rejected the group’s argument that the city had failed to properly analyze greenhouse gas emissions expected from the project.
None of this nonsense would occur if there was a law which stated that the loser of declared "frivolous" lawsuits had to pay for the defendant's legal expenses plus damages.

Last edited by Wilcal; Jul 15, 2018 at 6:24 PM.

Old Posted Jul 14, 2018, 8:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wilcal View Post
None of this nonsense would occur if there was a law which stated that the loser of declared "frivolous" lawsuits had to pay for the defendants legal expenses plus damages.
Amen! This would solve so many damn problems in this freaking state.

Old Posted Jul 15, 2018, 2:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prahaboheme View Post
Does anyone understand the rationale of an appeal? I cannot think of a sole reason. This is bound on 4 sides by:

1) a highrise (Proper) to its East
2) El Centro apartments to its North
3) the W to its West
4) the Palladium due South

All sarcasm aside, what is the opposition?
AHF's headquarters is down the street and so Michael Weinstein filled the suit to maintain the view from his office.

He has long been accused of bullying local governments and other nonprofits, and engaging in political activities that are unrelated to the organization’s mission-- like the Rent Control measure on the November ballot. I know he is widely disliked within the LGBT community for, among many things, focusing the resources of AHF on an agenda that benefits himself over the wellbeing of his patients. To be fair he was a pioneer and did a lot of good over the years. But he has since lost touch with the community he once served. I don't know the nature of the AHF board but hopefully after his defeat in November some pressure can be put on him to retire.

Old Posted Jul 15, 2018, 6:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LAsam View Post
From the LA Times article:

Michael Weinstein, who heads the AIDS Healthcare Foundation, said his group will file an appeal of the ruling. “We feel that the [project’s environmental impact report] is wrong,” he said in an interview. “It doesn’t take into account the impacts on the area.” In the Palladium lawsuit, lawyers for AIDS Healthcare Foundation made an array of claims. They argued that four members of the planning commission improperly met with the developer’s representatives in “ex parte” meetings — conversations that were not part of the panel’s scheduled public sessions.

Those private meetings showed that the commission, whose members are appointed by Mayor Eric Garcetti, had a “disqualifying bias” in favor of the project and that its decision was “fundamentally unfair,” the AIDS group said.

Hogue disagreed, saying the opponents failed to identify evidence of actual bias involving the commission.

The judge also disagreed with the claim by the AIDS nonprofit that it had been denied a fair hearing before the council’s Planning and Land Use Management Committee. And she rejected the group’s argument that the city had failed to properly analyze greenhouse gas emissions expected from the project.
The guy is a crook. NYT did a story on him. Apparently a lot of people see him for what he is.

https://www.nytimes.com/2017/04/26/m...eo-of-hiv.html

Old Posted Jul 15, 2018, 8:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ozone View Post
AHF's headquarters is down the street and so Michael Weinstein filled the suit to maintain the view from his office.

He has long been accused of bullying local governments and other nonprofits, and engaging in political activities that are unrelated to the organization’s mission-- like the Rent Control measure on the November ballot. I know he is widely disliked within the LGBT community for, among many things, focusing the resources of AHF on an agenda that benefits himself over the wellbeing of his patients. To be fair he was a pioneer and did a lot of good over the years. But he has since lost touch with the community he once served. I don't know the nature of the AHF board but hopefully after his defeat in November some pressure can be put on him to retire.
Maybe the developer can knock off a few floors so the man's office view isn't blocked. Just kidding. The area is zoned for high density--add another 5 or 10 floors for more badly needed apartments. 31 stories too short. Go 40+ stories. Housing more imporant than preserving a view.

Last edited by CaliNative; Jul 15, 2018 at 9:10 AM.

Old Posted Jul 15, 2018, 6:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ozone View Post

I can vouch for the disliked reputation in the LGBT community. In the late 1900's early 2000's I worked for ARA (Aids Research Alliance...a clinical research organization in West Hollywood). One day my supervisor was in one of his more common shouting matches with Michael on the office phone. Not knowing who Weinstein was at the time I asked about him and was promptly told about who he was, what he did, and how much "his fucking guts were hated" by many. Yeah, I thought that that was a little harsh, too. But, I never met the guy and never want to.

Last edited by Wilcal; Jul 16, 2018 at 6:49 PM.

Old Posted Jul 17, 2018, 7:31 PM

Has the change from office to residential been approved for this project?

https://therealdeal.com/la/2018/07/1...-mile-project/

JH Snyder secures $117M construction loan for Miracle Mile project

Developer Jerry Snyder is finally ready to break ground on a long-planned project next to SAG-AFTRA Plaza.

Here's the office project rendering, unknown what it might look like as residential instead-

Last edited by Steve8263; Jul 17, 2018 at 7:59 PM.

Old Posted Jul 17, 2018, 7:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve8263 View Post
Has the change from office to residential been approved for this project?

https://therealdeal.com/la/2018/07/1...-mile-project/

JH Snyder secures $117M construction loan for Miracle Mile project

Developer Jerry Snyder is finally ready to break ground on a long-planned project next to SAG-AFTRA Plaza.
Its there in the article, he filed to change it to residential in March. How long that typically takes, I don't know.

Old Posted Jul 18, 2018, 11:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve8263 View Post
Here's the office project rendering, unknown what it might look like as residential instead-

https://urbanize.la/post/rendering-r...partment-tower

Old Posted Jul 19, 2018, 4:07 PM

Ah right, there it is, thanks. Feels like a bookend to the Solair residential tower at Wilshire and Western.

Old Posted Jul 19, 2018, 4:34 PM

^^^

That was the first thing that popped into my head when I saw the new rendering for the residential tower.

Old Posted Jul 19, 2018, 11:19 PM

No pictures but I can report that one of the two Century City Plaza Hotel twin towers started going vertical. The north tower appears to be above ground level now. The south tower is still in the basement but should be spurting soon as well.

Old Posted Jul 20, 2018, 4:13 AM

From urbanize.la:

Pasadena Approves Master Plan for ArtCenter Campus

The 15-year plan includes new student housing.

by STEVEN SHARP on July 18, 2018, 1:00PM

The City of Pasadena has approved a new master plan for the ArtCenter College of Design that will steer the school's development and expansion over the 15 years.

Future growth is expected to occur at ArtCenter's South Campus, located at the corner of South Raymond Avenue and East Glenarm Street. Current offerings at the property include three office buildings - including the former U.S. Postal Service facility and the repurposed ex-headquarters of Jacobs Engineering. Over the coming years, designs by Michael Maltzan Architecture call for the construction of a series of eight-story buildings that could add as many as 1,500 student beds to the property. The new construction - as well as the renovation of existing buildings - would also bring other elements to the campus including art galleries, classrooms, a library, and a 300-seat theater.

Approvals grant some flexibility to ArtCenter's plans, and allow for some of the new buildings to be used as academic space rather than student housing, depending on demand.

The campus, which is bisected by the Metro's Gold Line, will be woven back together through the construction of an elevated quad and a pedestrian bridge over the train tracks. The quad is depicted as a park-like space replete with fitness equipment, community gardens, and outdoor seating. Plans also call for a cycleway through the campus.

ArtCenter's Hillside Campus, which is also included in the master plan, will not see an increase in developed space. Instead, the 156-acre property at 1700 Lida Street is slated for cosmetic and functional upgrades, including the enclosure of its open-air Sinclaire Pavilion and the addition of solar panels to its parking lots.

“This is mission-driven growth informed by the College’s conservatory-like approach to education,” said Lorne M. Buchman, president of ArtCenter College of Design. “We’re very pleased the city unanimously supports our vision to provide a talented and diverse student population with the educational resources they need to develop their professional and personal voice. In doing so, the College will affirm our position as an institute of higher learning in a city known for innovation, art, culture, and science.”

Link: https://urbanize.la/post/pasadena-ap...tcenter-campus

~ Charles Bukowski

Old Posted Jul 22, 2018, 6:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WonderlandPark2 View Post
Its there in the article, he filed to change it to residential in March. How long that typically takes, I don't know.
Quote:
Originally Posted by blackcat23 View Post
From the sublime to the ridiculous

Old Posted Aug 13, 2018, 11:55 PM

^^^ Well this apparently started construction today, quietly.

https://urbanize.la/post/work-beginn...wer-near-lacma

Old Posted Aug 14, 2018, 12:45 AM
Ridin' into the sunset

^ Pre-construction, or rather, utility location. But construction activities are imminent as they have financing in place and an incentive to get going before materials costs rise even further than they have.

It looks like we'll see more starts outside of downtown over the next couple of months. The LA County office project on Vermont should be breaking ground this week, and the head of Hankey Capital (of Circa fame) on 2900 Wilshire "next month", which I take to be September. He didn't mention it by name, but it's the only project they are partnering with Jamison Properties on that's on the "edge" of Koreatown. Those are two decent-sized projects that will be visible from higher vantage points across the city.
"Then each time Fleetwood would be not so much overcome by remorse as bedazzled at having been shown the secret backlands of wealth, and how sooner or later it depended on some act of murder, seldom limited to once."

Against the Day, Thomas Pynchon

Old Posted Aug 14, 2018, 2:07 PM

I thought I read somewhere Wilshire/La Jolla tower was u/c now?

Somewhat unrelated, bu there's decent amout of new housing going up around Van Nuys/Sherman Way on different projects.

Old Posted Aug 14, 2018, 5:33 PM
Inveterate Angeleno

Finally! Been waiting for this one:

https://urbanize.la/post/constructio...way-apartments

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations