HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Photography Forums > My City Photos

Old Posted Mar 12, 2008, 2:10 PM
Closed account

rad tour. i'd live there fer shizzle.

speaking of old wooden homes, the city's oldest is on mary between cannon and barton. it's a beauty.

Old Posted Mar 13, 2008, 4:04 AM

Some interesting info about this house and the Stinson neighbourhood, the neighbourhood has more history than I thought:

Quote:
The substantial stone residence at 90 Stinson Street was built in 1863 for Frederick W. Fearman and was later enlarged in 1875 and 1890. Today, with its prominent, three-storey entrance tower marking the head of East Avenue South, this commanding Victorian mansion stands out as an important neighbourhood landmark and as one of the city’s finest stone mansions erected in the pre-Confederation era.

When constructed, the home was situated on an acre of land near the southeast limits of the city, almost a mile from its centre. The house occupied a scenic location at the foot of the mountain, with a vista overlooking the open fields to the bay beyond. By the 1890s, urban development had spread eastward, encompassing the Fearman property, and transforming the area into a prosperous residential neighbourhood. The entrance lane to 90 Stinson Street had by then become a tree-lined avenue of stately Victorian homes. This vista up East Avenue toward the dominating entrance tower of the Fearman home (a feature which enhances the impact of both streetscape and mansion) is one of the few examples left in the city of a once-prevalent Victorian urban form

In the late nineteenth century, major public buildings were situated in the immediate area: in 1876, the Hamilton Boys Home, featuring a central clock tower, was located one block east of the Fearman House on Stinson Street; in 1895 the Stinson Street School was erected five blocks to the east; and in the following year the new Central Collegiate Institute, an extraordinary, monumental structure resembling Toronto’s old City Hall, dominated the neighbourhood from its site one block to the west at Victoria and Hunter Streets. Today, Stinson Street School and the Fearman House are the primary monuments which recall the neighbourhood’s heyday at the turn of the century.
-from Hamilton's Heritage, Volume 5

Old Posted Mar 14, 2008, 2:23 AM
Closed account

yup...awesome building...I've been in it. it's been restored beautifully.

Old Posted Mar 16, 2008, 4:42 AM

Thanks for the replies

It's too bad so much stuff from this era was destroyed, at least there are still quite a few old houses left in this neighbourhood.

Looks like an entire block was wiped out where these apartments are, I wonder what used to be there?

Old Posted Mar 16, 2008, 5:20 AM
BANNED

Totally rockin!

Old Posted Mar 16, 2008, 5:24 AM
Posh

Just goes to show, they don't build 'em like they used to.

Old Posted Apr 13, 2008, 2:40 AM

Your pics of Ontario's cities are gorgeous. I had no idea how charming so many of Ontario's cities were before I started seeing your stuff. Thanks!

Old Posted Apr 13, 2008, 7:35 PM

Interesting, Toronto and Hamilton are so close together but the Victorian houses here are a lot different than the ones in Toronto (at least the annex).

Old Posted Apr 13, 2008, 7:50 PM
International

The details in the craftmanship are just short of amazing!

Have any older buildings been converted to lofts yet in Hamilton/Ontario?

Old Posted Apr 13, 2008, 8:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hozay View Post
Interesting, Toronto and Hamilton are so close together but the Victorian houses here are a lot different than the ones in Toronto (at least the annex).
Yes, I noticed this too. The Annex is not equivalent to Stinson though: they were built around the same time but the Annex has many large houses while Stinson is middle class with just a few big houses. I noticed Romanesque features on many homes in the Annex, this is relatively rare in Hamilton. I don't know Toronto residential well enough to say if Toronto houses generally are different than Hamilton houses, but I suspect they are. On the other hand, I did see a few houses in the Annex that were nearly identical to houses I've seen in Hamilton. I know Hamilton has a huge variety of styles, I'm sure Toronto does too. I did a tour of Corktown, which is the neighbourhood directly west of Stinson, it looks completely different than Stinson, with a lot more typical Hamilton rowhouses. Check it out: http://forum.skyscraperpage.com/showthread.php?t=138983

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kingofthehill View Post

There are some loft conversions in Hamilton, but there could be a ton more with all the old industrial buildings here.

Old Posted Apr 14, 2008, 3:11 AM

I'd live there in a heartbeat!

Old Posted Apr 14, 2008, 3:22 AM
Hammer'd

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kingofthehill View Post

Not nearly as many as there should be. A lot of the buildings with potential for loft space are sitting abandoned or have already been failed loft conversions. Others have been converted to uses that just aren't suitable and most of them have been demolished to make way for parking lots.
"Above all, Hamilton must learn to think like a city, not a suburban hybrid where residents drive everywhere. What makes Hamilton interesting is the fact it's a city. The sprawl that surrounds it, which can be found all over North America, is running out of time."

Old Posted Dec 21, 2008, 4:58 PM

Flar why didnt you take pics of the little brown building across the street from the fist pic on Erie street? theres about 7 buildings on Stinson. 3 story browns bricks. They used to be really bad in the 80's.

Old Posted Dec 21, 2008, 6:42 PM

very nice

Old Posted Dec 21, 2008, 11:36 PM

Great hood; a most-excellent documentation.

Old Posted Dec 23, 2008, 11:56 PM
Ms AA

Hamilton never fails to please.

Old Posted Dec 29, 2008, 1:23 AM

^^thanks!

Quote:
Originally Posted by HamiltonHoods View Post
Flar why didnt you take pics of the little brown building across the street from the fist pic on Erie street? theres about 7 buildings on Stinson. 3 story browns bricks. They used to be really bad in the 80's.
The tour was looking at the older buildings in the neighbourhood, but I posted a shot of the buildings you're thinking of above.

Quote:
Originally Posted by flar View Post
Thanks for the replies

It's too bad so much stuff from this era was destroyed, at least there are still quite a few old houses left in this neighbourhood.

Looks like an entire block was wiped out where these apartments are, I wonder what used to be there?

I found out what used to be there:

(photo from The Grand Old Buildings of Hamilton by Brian Henley)

It was a high school (Central Collegiate Institute) built in 1896. Unfortunately it was destroyed by a fire in 1946.

End

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Photography Forums > My City Photos