HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations

Old Posted Sep 9, 2017, 4:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quixote View Post
We're not talking about 500 or 5,000, but 50,000 highly-skilled workers.
Which means 200K new jobs, which means 400K residents, which means even more because of clustering effects.

Old Posted Sep 9, 2017, 4:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by spoonman View Post
San Diego would be a very strong contender in many areas, but shares the same negatives as LA...high cost of living/taxes, west coast location, etc. I wouldn't be surprised to see Amazon go to a smaller, faster growing city like Charlotte, Austin, etc,etc.
Agree. Amazon not likely to pick another west coast city like SF or LA for a "second HQ". LA already has important Amazon operations in film production. SF in a tech center. It will go east. Texas--Austin or Dallas. Maybe even NYC or Washington DC area (including suburban VA & MD & maybe even nearby Baltimore). Washington area would carry political advantages (and Bezos owns the Wash. Post), and so would Texas (very strong political delegation). Doubt they pick Chicago. If I had to bet, I'd say a race between Dallas, Austin or Washington DC area. Atlanta, Charlotte, or Raleigh-Durham-Chapel Hill area slightly lower possibility place bet, but maybe too socially conservative for Amazon's tastes. But Raleigh-Durham-Chapel Hill does have the universities for sure (Duke, UNC, NCSU) and the research (Research Triangle Park), and the living costs are reasonable.

Here is my ranking for best chance city (1 being highest chance): 1. Dallas 2. Austin 3. Washington D.C. area (including Baltimore & suburban VA, nearby Richmond & MD) 4. Atlanta 5. Raleigh-Durham-Chapel Hill 6. Charlotte 7. New York City 8. Chicago 9. San Antonio 10. Houston 11. Boston 12. Cleveland or Columbus 13. St. Louis 14. Philadelphia 15. Denver 16. Kansas City 17. Pittsburgh 18. LA or SF or SD 19. Minneapolis-St. Paul 20. Nashville 21. Cincinnati 22. Louisville 23. Albuquerque The only shift may be if Amazon values the tech connection/film connection the most, SF & LA move up in rank. But I think the geography & political advantage of an east or central location trump that.

Last edited by CaliNative; Sep 9, 2017 at 5:09 AM.

Old Posted Sep 9, 2017, 5:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by citywatch View Post
discussing Amazon setting up a major location in LA, much less dtla, reminds me of talking about the look and details of a possible 105 story bldg going up in dt. Or what everyone will buy when they win the $200 million lotto.

Right now, it would be nice....& long overdue.....if more businesses already in LA would at least move from west la, century city or silicon bch to dt. Or from hoods even farther away, in the valley, glendale or the OC.
"Coles invented the French Dip". I thought it was Phillipe's.

Old Posted Sep 9, 2017, 5:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaliNative View Post
Agree. Amazon not likely to pick another west coast city like SF or LA for a "second HQ". LA already has important Amazon operations in film production. SF in a tech center. It will go east. Texas--Austin or Dallas. Maybe even NYC or Washington DC area (including suburban VA & MD & maybe even nearby Baltimore). Washington area would carry political advantages (and Bezos owns the Wash. Post), and so would Texas (very strong political delegation). Doubt they pick Chicago. If I had to bet, I'd say a race between Dallas, Austin or Washington DC area. Atlanta, Charlotte, or Raleigh-Durham-Chapel Hill area slightly lower possibility place bet, but maybe too socially conservative for Amazon's tastes. But Raleigh-Durham-Chapel Hill does have the universities for sure (Duke, UNC, NCSU) and the research (Research Triangle Park), and the living costs are reasonable.

Here is my ranking for best chance city (1 being highest chance): 1. Dallas 2. Austin 3. Washington D.C. area (including Baltimore & suburban VA, nearby Richmond & MD) 4. Atlanta 5. Raleigh-Durham-Chapel Hill 6. Charlotte 7. New York City 8. Chicago 9. San Antonio 10. Houston 11. Boston 12. Cleveland or Columbus 13. St. Louis 14. Philadelphia 15. Denver 16. Kansas City 17. Pittsburgh 18. LA or SF or SD 19. Minneapolis-St. Paul 20. Nashville 21. Cincinnati 22. Louisville 23. Albuquerque The only shift may be if Amazon values the tech connection/film connection the most, SF & LA move up in rank. But I think the geography & political advantage of an east or central location trump that.
Raleigh and Austin aren't viable. Houston, Atlanta, or Dallas will be the pick if it goes to the south. Other Eastern possibilities are Boston, DC, NY, and Chicago. That's it.

I think the strongest possibilities are Boston, Atlanta, and Chicago.

Old Posted Sep 9, 2017, 5:43 AM
Ascension

It would either be someplace midwest or sun belt. Though Chicago is renovating the enormous Old Post office so I'm sure Amazon is looking here. Plus this city could very much use the economic boost. I would love for LA to get it however. Hell, I would love for Amazon to buy the naming rights of the stadium in Inglewood. Amazon Field maybe?

Old Posted Sep 9, 2017, 3:01 PM

Quote:
We're not talking about 500 or 5,000, but 50,000 highly-skilled workers. If that number isn't BS
It is BS. They claim to employ 40,000 at their current headquarters, and that's with 20 years of explosive growth. Probably less than half of the current ones are actually highly skilled.

Unless they move their entire HQ with every employee, there won't be 50K employees anywhere else for 30 years at minimum.

Old Posted Sep 9, 2017, 4:38 PM

Old Posted Sep 9, 2017, 4:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Car(e)-Free LA View Post
Raleigh and Austin aren't viable. Houston, Atlanta, or Dallas will be the pick if it goes to the south. Other Eastern possibilities are Boston, DC, NY, and Chicago. That's it.

Orlando is probably a contender as well. Amazon is about to break ground on a major manufacturing facility there.

Old Posted Sep 9, 2017, 5:19 PM
Environmental Sabotage

There is a thread titled: Amazon plans $5 billion second headquarters in North America in the City Discussions Forum, people.

Old Posted Sep 9, 2017, 6:30 PM
Inveterate Angeleno

^ Agreed. The topic has now run its course within the confines of this thread.

Back to Downtown development.

— Jerome Bruner

Old Posted Sep 9, 2017, 7:52 PM

Quote:
^ Agreed. The topic has now run its course within the confines of this thread.

Back to Downtown development.
Whew! Thank God!

Old Posted Sep 9, 2017, 7:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ocman View Post
Bezos put up a big tiff with California when we demanded Amazon pay the state sales taxes. He cut off all California affiliates. We accused them of exploitation. There's bad blood.
Well you can't be one of the worlds richest men and still be upright and honest--can you? The state was only asking for a fair portion of taxation.

Last edited by Wilcal; Sep 10, 2017 at 6:30 PM.

Old Posted Sep 9, 2017, 8:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Car(e)-Free LA View Post

Philly will be a strong contender as that RFP is made for Philly.

1. Largest university scene outside of Boston, including 2 Ivies, one of the largest state schools in the country, and elite technology and engineering programs. One of the cities with the most Eds and Meds research development happening.
2. A centralized location between NYC and DC (1.5 to each) and surrounded also by Boston, Baltimore, Atlantic City, and Pittsburgh.
3. Shovel ready space in center city with 100+ acres (http://schuylkillyards.com/)
4. Airport and Amtrak hubs (all running under Schuylkill Yards) -- can take the train to DC or NYC in less than a hour.
5. Affordability (one of the cheapest cities in the country)
6. One of the most culturally diverse cities in the country
7. Comcast is here so we've proven that we can be a hub for technology.
8. Can easily meet the hotel requirements in the RFP.

I'm not saying Philly will get it. But Philly will be competitive. Honestly, I think it'll come down to Chicago, Philly, and maybe a sunbelt city (but those cities are going to struggle to handle the infrastructure growth required by Amazon). I doubt they'll pick NYC, Boston, or DC because of how expensive those cities have become -- they are borderline becoming unlivable now and with an average salary of just $100k, that's going to limit the appeal of a more expensive hub than Seattle which is already straining Amazon's current staff's wallets.

Old Posted Sep 9, 2017, 11:20 PM
Urbanite in Suburbia

Philly is lovely...so go find a Philly thread and 'soapbox' about it there....thanks a bunch. Us out west truly dont care that much.
Amazon will go where it goes. Honestly the importance of Corporate headquarters means not all that much in our online economy...its more for bragging rights...which LA can brag about alot more.

Old Posted Sep 10, 2017, 1:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Just-In-Cali View Post
Philly is lovely...so go find a Philly thread and 'soapbox' about it there....thanks a bunch. Us out west truly dont care that much.
Amazon will go where it goes. Honestly the importance of Corporate headquarters means not all that much in our online economy...its more for bragging rights...which LA can brag about alot more.
Can you remember the last time you heard someone talking about how they would love to live in Philly?

Old Posted Sep 10, 2017, 1:35 AM
Inveterate Angeleno

Philly's a cool city and ScreamShatter meant no harm, no foul. There's no need to be defensive. Chill.

— Jerome Bruner

Old Posted Sep 10, 2017, 1:40 AM
life is good

Yeah there's a whole nother massive thread for the Amazon stuff. More importantly what do y'all think of the hotel at 4th and spring. My opinions quite mixed...

Old Posted Sep 10, 2017, 3:57 AM
Urbanite in Suburbia

Quote:
Philly's a cool city and ScreamShatter meant no harm, no foul. There's no need to be defensive. Chill.

(Sigh)

Mmhmm...

Old Posted Sep 10, 2017, 6:31 PM
Los Angeles Aficionado

888 S. Hope at Grand Hope Park

888 S. Hope at Grand Hope Park

Old Posted Sep 10, 2017, 6:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eightball View Post
Yeah there's a whole nother massive thread for the Amazon stuff. More importantly what do y'all think of the hotel at 4th and spring. My opinions quite mixed...
I like it. It's neither great nor bad and is well proportioned for the area. Now what about the atrocity on the northeastern corner of Broadway and 4th. That is why the city (and Huizar) should be ashamed. It is only when the neighborhood gradually improves (and gradually is being generous when it comes to Broadway) that things start to change. And it is only when the developers of the said hotel, the new tower on the southeast corner of Broadway and 4th and others who are investing in the area start to scream "bloody murder" about some of the utterly disgusting parts of DTLA, or write fat checks will the powers that be get off their "bloody fat bums" and do something to improve the area.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations