HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture > Completed Project Threads Archive

Old Posted Oct 31, 2017, 1:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Best Forumer View Post
What is this bfresh?
http://bfresh.com/

BFresh is a small-format grocery store with three locations in Boston and Boston-adjacent neighborhoods. They are (theoretically) very well suited to nimbly fit themselves into the urban fabric as they follow the more european model: no parking, flexible layouts, more limited selection than your suburban megastores, etc. A quick google will show you that their name appears in numerous articles about various long-vacant spaces around town, but there has been no movement on any of it. Frustrating because I think Philly is primed for such stores, and developers are in some cases building projects around these concepts (HOW's building on 2nd south of George is designed specifically to accommodate a mid-sized grocer). I'd love a Philly journalist to dig into what exactly is going on.

EDIT: a report from this year appears to corroborate the news of their four separate leases in town, but haven't heard a peep otherwise: https://progressivegrocer.com/bfresh...-philly-report

Old Posted Oct 31, 2017, 1:50 PM

It looks like they want to cut the parking spaces in half from around 580 to around 290. The 90,000 sqft reduction could be entirely from the garage, which I think would be great news. This project had far too much parking for this location.

Old Posted Oct 31, 2017, 2:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Justin7 View Post
It looks like they want to cut the parking spaces in half from around 580 to around 290. The 90,000 sqft reduction could be entirely from the garage, which I think would be great news. This project had far too much parking for this location.
Valid point. I think that this is a good area for an apartment building this size, especially with the two subway lines.

Old Posted Oct 31, 2017, 2:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Justin7 View Post
You have a very valid point, and I hope you're right about that! I can't find anything regarding a reduction in height or retail space. The original amount of parking never made sense given the walkability of the area (at least west of Broad), subway access, and the fact that this project's target market doesn't usually come with a lot of demand for parking.

Temple University '18 ']['

Old Posted Oct 31, 2017, 4:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhilliesPhan View Post
Excellent news! I always thought something would happen here, as they've actively been leading their retail spaces. A "national grocer" is supposedly moving into the largest space, and the other spots are mostly taken.
Can you elaborate on the tenants for the other retail spaces? I live not far from this and it peaked my curiosity.

Thanks in advance

Also, for what it worth I think the grocer will be a TJ's...they have been kicking tires for years looking for locations with parking and this fits the mold.

Old Posted Oct 31, 2017, 4:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by farfromhome View Post
Can you elaborate on the tenants for the other retail spaces? I live not far from this and it peaked my curiosity.

Thanks in advance

Also, for what it worth I think the grocer will be a TJ's...they have been kicking tires for years looking for locations with parking and this fits the mold.
Trader joe’s would be awesome. They would kill there. 20,000 sf does seem to fit their profile

Old Posted Oct 31, 2017, 5:09 PM
BANNED

went by the site. no activity.

Old Posted Oct 31, 2017, 10:01 PM
Philly -> Osaka -> Tokyo

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Best Forumer View Post
What is this bfresh?
Nobody knows ...

Who knows but that, on the lower levels, I speak for you?’ (Ralph Ellison, Invisible Man)

Old Posted Nov 8, 2017, 8:08 PM

Looks like RAL closed on the property for 8mm 2 weeks ago. Good sign.

Old Posted Jan 13, 2018, 5:21 AM

Not only is Melon Street now fenced off on both ends, but a South Philly Towing sign has been posted to said fence. I’ll post pics as soon as possible. Is anyone else thinking what I’m thinking??

Old Posted Jan 23, 2018, 5:08 PM

So they the developer closed on the land and has permits, hopefully that means this is definitely happening. Anyone hear anything?

Old Posted Jan 23, 2018, 5:55 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry King View Post
So they the developer closed on the land and has permits, hopefully that means this is definitely happening. Anyone hear anything?
not much else to report. Fence is up and foundation permit was issued- but that's about it

Old Posted Jan 24, 2018, 4:53 PM

About a week ago they close off Melon Street next to this parcel. It was just small barely used alley next to the property. My thoughts when I saw that was they probably closed it so they could start construction.

Old Posted Feb 23, 2018, 2:53 AM

Since the 1300 block of Melon Street is fenced off, I decided to check the updated marketing materials for this project. Not only have the number of parking spaces been DRASTICALLY reduced (from 580 to 151), but the unit count has been bumped up to 486 from 480! Furthermore, 56% of the 63,594 sq. ft. of retail space is leased up.

I can't wait for this project to get off the ground! This project will help to transform that section of both North Broad and Ridge Avenue!

https://www.metrocommercial.com/wp-c...rmount-Ave.pdf

Old Posted Feb 23, 2018, 12:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhilliesPhan View Post
Since the 1300 block of Melon Street is fenced off, I decided to check the updated marketing materials for this project. Not only have the number of parking spaces been DRASTICALLY reduced (from 580 to 151), but the unit count has been bumped up to 486 from 480! Furthermore, 56% of the 63,594 sq. ft. of retail space is leased up.

I can't wait for this project to get off the ground! This project will help to transform that section of both North Broad and Ridge Avenue!

https://www.metrocommercial.com/wp-c...rmount-Ave.pdf
Has anyone heard anything about what grocer is taking the space? Or have educated guesses?

Old Posted Jun 26, 2018, 5:06 PM

RAL to finally break ground on $190M project at 1300 Fairmount

Quote:
Five years after getting involved in 1300 Fairmount, a $190 million mixed-used development in Philadelphia, RAL Development is prepared to break ground by the end of the summer and has made headway in leasing up a portion of 58,000 square feet of retail space built into the project.

The project seemed to be stalled or even dead for the last couple of years, but the developer said that's not what was happening behind the scenes. That time was spent quietly working to get the necessary permits, approvals and now financing to move 1300 Fairmount ahead, said Spencer Levine, managing director of RAL Development Services.

“The activity on the project was not visible to the public, but action on the project has been going on since we got involved,” he said.

Sitting just south of the Divine Lorraine, the project involves the development of a 14-story building with 471 apartments, 287 parking spaces and the retail space at 1300 Fairmount Ave. In all, the building will total 625,000 square feet.

RAL got involved with 1300 Fairmount when an affiliate of Amalgimated Bank took the property back from the original owner. RAL was brought in to figure out an exit strategy for the bank, Levine said, but as the developer got deeper into the project “we fell in love with it." That’s when the New York real estate company started to pursue various local approvals including remapping and buying about two-thirds of Melon Street, which is an important element of the project, especially when it comes to its retail space.

“It gave us the ability to achieve what we wanted for the retail and the parking,” Levine said about gaining control of a portion of Melon Street. The developer is designing the retail portion of the project to draw a range of shoppers to 1300 Fairmount – those from the neighborhood who can walk to it or take mass transit, including from the development's own apartments, as well as those shoppers who will drive and park in the garage.

Nearly 60,000 square feet of retail space is expansive in a neighborhood, especially in a part of Philadelphia that is an emerging residential market. More residents are moving to the North Broad Street corridor as a result of additional developments such as the Divine Lorraine, Hanover North and Mural Arts, the revitalization of the Spring Arts neighborhood to the east, and continued residential investment in Spring Garden area to the west.

In a deal that was in the works for about a year, RAL has pre-leased 12,488 square feet to Nobel Learning Communities Inc., which will open a Chesterbrook Academyin the building. Phillip A. Azarik and Scott Benson of Metro Commercial Real Estate represented the developer while Nobel, which is based in West Chester, Pa., was represented by Rich Zeller of Equity Retail Brokers.

The Chesterbrook Academy will serves as an instrumental element in the development, Levine said.

While pre-schools are increasingly showing up as tenants in office buildings, they haven’t become as common in residential projects. Radnor Property Group, the developer of Vue32, a mixed-use development at 3201 Race St. in University City, deliberately incorporated a pre-school into the project. It wanted the preschool to cater to not only those who attend or work at Drexel University but people in the community as well. It has helped create a sense of community at the development.

“We like to develop buildings where people can grow with a property,” he said. “People don’t like to move. They get accustomed to a neighborhood and that is what we like to foster.” The project was designed to appeal to a range of demographics and has a variety of one-, two-, and three-bedroom units that can accommodate professionals to young families.

In addition to the pre-school, RAL is committed to bringing a grocery store to the building. That will be an amenity for residents of 1300 Fairmount and the neighborhood, Levin said, noting that RAL approaches a project from an urban planning prospective in both how it designs a building and how it incorporates commercial tenants into it.

RAL anticipates breaking ground within the next two months and completing 1300 Fairmount by the middle of 2020.
https://www.bizjournals.com/philadel...mixed-use.html

There's some great things happening in that area. I can't wait for the Met to open, and this should certainly help more.

Last edited by Urbanthusiat; Jun 26, 2018 at 5:16 PM.

Old Posted Jun 26, 2018, 6:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Urbanthusiat View Post
is prepared to break ground by the end of the summer
Great this is moving forward! and soon..

Quote:
Originally Posted by Urbanthusiat View Post
development of a 14-story building
Seems like it has shrunk by 7 stories though.. be good to see some updated renderings

Old Posted Jun 26, 2018, 6:50 PM

That's great news. A separate project next door at 1357 Ridge appears to have broken ground as well, that's a 50 unit 6 story building.

Old Posted Jun 26, 2018, 7:11 PM
build awesome buildings

super awesome for the area...north broad has some great stuff afoot.

Old Posted Jul 17, 2018, 6:55 PM

I found a render of this place I never saw on their commercial real estate listing:

Such a huge impact on that intersection, I love it.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture > Completed Project Threads Archive