HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForumSkyscraper Posters
     

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > City Discussions

Reply

 
Thread Tools Display Modes
     
     
  #121  
Old Posted Dec 15, 2017, 2:30 AM
LA21st LA21st is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Posts: 2,969
Quote:
Originally Posted by maru2501 View Post
wow, LA seems special.. thanks
Why didnt you comment on cirrus about dc? He said the same thing about his city. Or when Nyers say the same thing?
But with LA it's ignorance?

Last edited by LA21st; Dec 15, 2017 at 2:45 AM.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #122  
Old Posted Dec 15, 2017, 3:03 AM
the urban politician the urban politician is online now
The City
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: Libertyville, IL
Posts: 14,259
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sun Belt View Post
It's true. Angelenos know they live on the better of the two coasts and therefore don't really care what's going on "over there". They know NY (insert city, state) as a place that is freezing in the winter, humid in the summer and that they (outsiders) seem to love and flock to LA in droves.

* I'm not saying this is in anyway accurate, I'm just relaying the attitude. Also there is no excuse for pure ignorance, I find it very troubling that people are not even remotely curious about other areas than what they're currently very familiar with.
This is true. But a lot of Californians do come east. A LOT.

But we always feel like we dragged them out here, because the majority of them are dead set on going back as soon as they wrap up whatever business it is that pulled them away (often schooling or a job).

They’ve found their “paradise” I guess. And I kinda don’t blame them. California is really nice, and anybody who denies that is sorta kinda lying to themselves. I will be in LA in 2 weeks, btw, as a vacation. It’s friggin 16 degrees F here right now. I need the break
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #123  
Old Posted Dec 15, 2017, 3:21 AM
homebucket homebucket is online now
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Posts: 259
A lot of Californians love visiting the East Coast for vacation. NYC, Chicago, and Boston are the top 3 destinations. They are the cities with the best food, sights, and culture. They have the "big city" vibe that you can't really get in California. I find that my friends from SoCal especially enjoy the East Coast cities because of the scarcity of urban, walkable, transit rich environments down there. SF comes the closest to replicating that feel. However, there are very, very few of us that would consider moving East. If anything, I know more NYC transplants that live here.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #124  
Old Posted Dec 15, 2017, 4:21 AM
ThePhun1 ThePhun1 is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2014
Location: Houston/Galveston
Posts: 1,382
Quote:
Originally Posted by lzppjb View Post
We obviously have witnessed different things.
For about 10 years and especially 3-4 years, Cardinals-Astros was a hotter rivalry than Rangers-Astros has ever been. The Astros could never sustain rivals because they've been moved around so much in their history...that and the sporadic success over the years especially in the playoffs.

Anyways, I'm not sure how this thread pertains to this board. Seems like it belongs in the Skybar/off topic at this point.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #125  
Old Posted Dec 15, 2017, 8:52 AM
CaliNative CaliNative is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2016
Posts: 663
Quote:
Originally Posted by ThePhun1 View Post
For about 10 years and especially 3-4 years, Cardinals-Astros was a hotter rivalry than Rangers-Astros has ever been. The Astros could never sustain rivals because they've been moved around so much in their history...that and the sporadic success over the years especially in the playoffs.

Anyways, I'm not sure how this thread pertains to this board. Seems like it belongs in the Skybar/off topic at this point.
Wasn't the original Houston baseball team the "Colt 45s", and weren't they the relocated Washington Senators team? Were the Colt 45s renamed the Astros after Houston got NASA Mission Control Center and the Astrodome was built? Those 95 degree sweltering days at the Colt's open ball park must have been fun.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #126  
Old Posted Dec 15, 2017, 9:00 AM
CaliNative CaliNative is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2016
Posts: 663
Quote:
Originally Posted by maru2501 View Post
wow, LA seems special.. thanks
L.A. is overpriced. Moving to Buffalo or maybe Cleveland.

Last edited by CaliNative; Dec 15, 2017 at 9:12 AM.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #127  
Old Posted Dec 15, 2017, 9:39 AM
Phil McAvity's Avatar
Phil McAvity Phil McAvity is offline
I put the F-U in FUN
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Posts: 2,338
I don't know about the greatest city rivalries but some good ones are (or should be):

Osaka Vs. Tokyo
Calgary Vs. Edmonton
Houston Vs. Dallas
Sydney Vs. Melbourne
Cleveland Vs. Cincinnati
Moscow Vs. St. Petersburg
Regina Vs. Saskatoon
Rio de Janeiro Vs. Sao Paulo
__________________
"Socialism is a philosophy of failure, the creed of ignorance, and the gospel of envy, its inherent virtue is the equal sharing of misery"-Winston Churchill
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #128  
Old Posted Dec 15, 2017, 10:46 AM
ThePhun1 ThePhun1 is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2014
Location: Houston/Galveston
Posts: 1,382
Quote:
Originally Posted by CaliNative View Post
Wasn't the original Houston baseball team the "Colt 45s", and weren't they the relocated Washington Senators team? Were the Colt 45s renamed the Astros after Houston got NASA Mission Control Center and the Astrodome was built? Those 95 degree sweltering days at the Colt's open ball park must have been fun.
Yes and no. They were the Colts but the second Washington Senators are actually the Texas Rangers.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #129  
Old Posted Dec 15, 2017, 10:50 AM
ThePhun1 ThePhun1 is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2014
Location: Houston/Galveston
Posts: 1,382
Quote:
Originally Posted by the urban politician View Post
This is true. But a lot of Californians do come east. A LOT.

But we always feel like we dragged them out here, because the majority of them are dead set on going back as soon as they wrap up whatever business it is that pulled them away (often schooling or a job).

They’ve found their “paradise” I guess. And I kinda don’t blame them. California is really nice, and anybody who denies that is sorta kinda lying to themselves. I will be in LA in 2 weeks, btw, as a vacation. It’s friggin 16 degrees F here right now. I need the break
It is a paradise but an expensive one. That's why my family couldn't afford it and moved to the Outland Empire to have some kind of access to our extended family, friends and the vibe of the city itself.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #130  
Old Posted Dec 15, 2017, 1:49 PM
mrnyc mrnyc is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Posts: 4,609
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sun Belt View Post
It's true. Angelenos know they live on the better of the two coasts and therefore don't really care what's going on "over there". They know NY (insert city, state) as a place that is freezing in the winter, humid in the summer and that they (outsiders) seem to love and flock to LA in droves.

* I'm not saying this is in anyway accurate, I'm just relaying the attitude. Also there is no excuse for pure ignorance, I find it very troubling that people are not even remotely curious about other areas than what they're currently very familiar with.

you might be right because in ny itself the majority of people that talk about la are the people visiting from la.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #131  
Old Posted Dec 15, 2017, 5:13 PM
The North One's Avatar
The North One The North One is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Posts: 2,774
Quote:
Originally Posted by the urban politician View Post
They’ve found their “paradise” I guess. And I kinda don’t blame them. California is really nice, and anybody who denies that is sorta kinda lying to themselves. I will be in LA in 2 weeks, btw, as a vacation. It’s friggin 16 degrees F here right now. I need the break
Lying about what though? California has some of the worst problems in the country, like the worst pollution. People just love to gloss over the issues and it makes no sense.

Your "paradise" is literally on fire, you can keep it, nobody is lying to themselves.
__________________
Spawn of questionable parentage!
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #132  
Old Posted Dec 15, 2017, 5:47 PM
mousquet's Avatar
mousquet mousquet is offline
that prick
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Nimbyland Paris, Museum France
Posts: 2,808
California is such a giant innovative place that it pisses us all off.
It is where innovation has been at here in Paris.
And for quite a while yet.

So I certainly wouldn't laugh at it, as it is the major spot of our time. I mean, what did London or NYC invent in recent time? The financial industry? Oh please, let me laugh at that, then give me a break.

The internet protocol (technically called something like tcp/ip here) was invented by the US army under the pressure of the Soviet Union in the 1970s, so they could still route their data in case a hub would be nuke by the freaking Stalinist regime. Then, once the Cold War was done for good, it was all pushed to the general public from the early 1990s by both Massachusetts (the MIT) and California in particular to my knowledge, up to your phone today, with some help of some French engineers and ideas in that matter, I'll confess.

Do you realize about the latest industrial revolution that this whole thing brought about? Nothing will be the same from now.

And even today, most of the industry's still based in the Bay Area, and they've got my maddest respect for that.

I think people absolutely need to teach about this in history classes. We are living major events in mankind history, right now, and right over CA.

Now, manufacturing electric autonomous cars and private space shuttles for the billionaires won't be enough. The entire process of energy and material supply needs to be rethought, which is even much bigger. That is where my country has yet another chance.
__________________
psst... A new command I give you: Love one another. As I have loved you, so you must love one another. (John 13:34)
I like bass. Give me some.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #133  
Old Posted Dec 15, 2017, 5:57 PM
Pedestrian's Avatar
Pedestrian Pedestrian is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2016
Location: San Francisco
Posts: 4,468
Quote:
Originally Posted by The North One View Post
Lying about what though? California has some of the worst problems in the country, like the worst pollution. People just love to gloss over the issues and it makes no sense.

Your "paradise" is literally on fire, you can keep it, nobody is lying to themselves.
By "worst pollution" I assume you are referring to the air quality in a single valley: The LA basin, which has been considerably cleaned up in the last several decades by a combination of fuel blends, catalytic converters and other methods. Truly "bad air" days in LA are getting much less common.

On the other hand, California's water and other resources are relatively pristine. San Francisco Bay, for example, is one of the cleanest urban estuaries you will find anywhere (and San Francisco has very clean air too--it all just depends on geography).

As for fire, that's a natural phenomenon in wildlands and you'll find it throughout the West. It's nature's way of Spring (and summer) cleaning. It leads to lots of new growth that is a bounty to animals and some plants.

The only trouble is when people move into that nature to enjoy its beauty. Mother Nature does not accommodate them--they are there at their own risk but many find the beauty worth it.

SF's water supply (pollution? what pollution?)

http://www.sfgate.com/bayarea/articl...ep-6317321.php
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #134  
Old Posted Dec 15, 2017, 6:07 PM
LA21st LA21st is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Posts: 2,969
Quote:
Originally Posted by The North One View Post
Lying about what though? California has some of the worst problems in the country, like the worst pollution. People just love to gloss over the issues and it makes no sense.

Your "paradise" is literally on fire, you can keep it, nobody is lying to themselves.
That makes no sense. Tiny portions of the state have had fires. The Bel Air fire hardly did any damage, I drove past it a few times. The worst thing it did was shut the 405 down for half a day or so. The Sylmar fire didn't didn't do much damage to the neighborhood either.

LA's smog is so over blown to me since I've been here. Maybe in the 70s and 80s it was really awful to get the reputation. I don't get it. It doesn't intrude on people's lives the way the media and outsiders make it out to be.

Every place in America has problems, including yours.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #135  
Old Posted Dec 15, 2017, 6:11 PM
Pedestrian's Avatar
Pedestrian Pedestrian is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2016
Location: San Francisco
Posts: 4,468
^^Take note: LA and SF in complete agreement. Rivalry? What rivalry?
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #136  
Old Posted Dec 15, 2017, 6:17 PM
homebucket homebucket is online now
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Posts: 259
^ He's not wrong though. CA has the worst pollution in the US. You're in denial if you think otherwise.

http://www.lung.org/our-initiatives/...ed-cities.html
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #137  
Old Posted Dec 15, 2017, 6:20 PM
LA21st LA21st is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Posts: 2,969
Quote:
Originally Posted by homebucket View Post
That's fine. But it's not something that's in your face or anything or constantly visible.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #138  
Old Posted Dec 15, 2017, 6:51 PM
sopas ej's Avatar
sopas ej sopas ej is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: South Pasadena, California
Posts: 3,333
Quote:
Originally Posted by homebucket View Post
A lot of Californians love visiting the East Coast for vacation. NYC, Chicago, and Boston are the top 3 destinations. They are the cities with the best food, sights, and culture.
Entirely subjective.

And, it's been my experience that the best food I've ever had in the United States has been in the Los Angeles area. And I feel there's so much to choose from as compared with other cities.

And honestly, I'm so over the US, I think I've seen all I want to see in it. My partner has never been to NYC, and it's funny the reaction that New Yorkers have when he tells them he's never been to New York City. They're like "Really??? Oh you should go!!" And his response is always "Well, whenever I want to travel, and people mention NYC, I'm like 'Paris, or New York... Paris, or New York...' or 'Istanbul, or New York... Istanbul, or New York..." Hehe and then they get his point.
__________________
Patriotism is an inflated assertion of imaginary superiority.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #139  
Old Posted Dec 15, 2017, 7:19 PM
homebucket homebucket is online now
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Posts: 259
Quote:
Originally Posted by sopas ej View Post
Entirely subjective.

And, it's been my experience that the best food I've ever had in the United States has been in the Los Angeles area. And I feel there's so much to choose from as compared with other cities.

And honestly, I'm so over the US, I think I've seen all I want to see in it. My partner has never been to NYC, and it's funny the reaction that New Yorkers have when he tells them he's never been to New York City. They're like "Really??? Oh you should go!!" And his response is always "Well, whenever I want to travel, and people mention NYC, I'm like 'Paris, or New York... Paris, or New York...' or 'Istanbul, or New York... Istanbul, or New York..." Hehe and then they get his point.
I was speaking in the context of travel to the East Coast, and why most people from CA go there. That means any CA cities would be excluded. SF and LA are obviously rich in food and culture as well.

Here's a good list to go off of though:
The 10 best food cities in America, ranked | The Washington Post
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #140  
Old Posted Dec 15, 2017, 7:36 PM
Sun Belt Sun Belt is online now
'Sunny'
 
Join Date: Sep 2017
Location: Land O' Sun
Posts: 991
Quote:
Originally Posted by homebucket View Post
I was speaking in the context of travel to the East Coast, and why most people from CA go there. That means any CA cities would be excluded. SF and LA are obviously rich in food and culture as well.

Here's a good list to go off of though:
The 10 best food cities in America, ranked | The Washington Post
Here's a map of where Californians are moving to (net migration I think), which may or may not reflect where they like to visit.


SacBee.com

New York might be a popular place to visit (the map shows that more New Yorkers move to CA than Californians move to NY) because it's NY, it's popular for just about everybody because it's a rare occurrence in the country.
Reply With Quote
     
     
This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts
 
 
Reply

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > City Discussions
Forum Jump


Thread Tools
Display Modes

Forum Jump


All times are GMT. The time now is 9:19 PM.

     

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.