HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > Skyscraper & Highrise Construction

Hudson Tower in the SkyscraperPage Database

Building Data Page   • Comparison Diagram   • Detroit Skyscraper Diagram

View Full Map

Old Posted Dec 15, 2017, 12:03 AM

I wonder what material they're using on the facade here, looks like copper.

Old Posted Dec 15, 2017, 3:34 AM

Diggin the refined faceade, the top also looks better.

Old Posted Dec 15, 2017, 4:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by The North One View Post
I wonder what material they're using on the facade here, looks like copper.
Looks like it could be brass to me like SHoP used on 111 W 57th St in NYC.

Old Posted Dec 15, 2017, 9:56 AM
Midwest Moderator - Editor

It's announced both the buildings are going to rise at the same time. Though I'm still confused as to why there are two seperate buildings to begin with. Something about the mid-block alley just doesn't work for me, and it makes even less sense as an open-air alley, too. The proportions are off between the two structures, too (the "block" building needs to be taller like it originally was). Other than that, no complaints. I still want to see them render this from the area so we get to see the observation deck. But I'm really just glad where officially to the site prep phase, which is a project in and of itself.

And to think, not even that long ago everyone was going to be happy if they put up a few 20-story towers on the underground garage. I honestly never even considered at the time that someone would spend the money to redo the garage so that a legit skyscraper could be put atop it, let alone a new tallest. And it's going to have a skydeck that literally overhangs the tower? This is bonkers.

But what I'm particularly impressed with is the ground floor events space (which will be serviced from the first basement by a freight elevator), and the theater/concert space above that in the Block building.

Old Posted Dec 15, 2017, 3:17 PM

Sim Tower realness.

Old Posted Dec 15, 2017, 4:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LMich View Post
It's announced both the buildings are going to rise at the same time. Though I'm still confused as to why there are two seperate buildings to begin with. Something about the mid-block alley just doesn't work for me, and it makes even less sense as an open-air alley, too. The proportions are off between the two structures, too (the "block" building needs to be taller like it originally was). Other than that, no complaints. I still want to see them render this from the area so we get to see the observation deck. But I'm really just glad where officially to the site prep phase, which is a project in and of itself.

And to think, not even that long ago everyone was going to be happy if they put up a few 20-story towers on the underground garage. I honestly never even considered at the time that someone would spend the money to redo the garage so that a legit skyscraper could be put atop it, let alone a new tallest. And it's going to have a skydeck that literally overhangs the tower? This is bonkers.

But what I'm particularly impressed with is the ground floor events space (which will be serviced from the first basement by a freight elevator), and the theater/concert space above that in the Block building.
I thought the same thing about the mid-block alley until I started looking for parking entrances. From the images I'm guessing all of the loading docks and parking entrances will be on Gratiot across from the Quicken Loans loading docks and parking entrances. If that's the case I think the mid-block alley is actually pretty smart as any quality pedestrian experience would be impossible on Gratiot with all those curb cuts on both sides and vehicles coming in and out. Having it open-air means pedestrians are more likely to see it and use it as an alternative to Gratiot Ave.

Old Posted Dec 15, 2017, 5:06 PM
somewhere in-between

^ What's up with that theatre space? Are we to believe that the balcony tiers will actually move to transform it from a 'traditional' theatre into a 4-story events hall? If so, it reminds me a bit of REX's Wyly theatre in Dallas, not necessarily in form, but in general the transformable function of the space. Wyly was almost overkill:

Video Link

Old Posted Dec 17, 2017, 9:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rlw777 View Post
I thought the same thing about the mid-block alley until I started looking for parking entrances. From the images I'm guessing all of the loading docks and parking entrances will be on Gratiot across from the Quicken Loans loading docks and parking entrances. If that's the case I think the mid-block alley is actually pretty smart as any quality pedestrian experience would be impossible on Gratiot with all those curb cuts on both sides and vehicles coming in and out. Having it open-air means pedestrians are more likely to see it and use it as an alternative to Gratiot Ave.
My understanding is that vehicle/service access to the underground is on the "back" along Farmer, or even more likely along Grand River where the current north access is. It's definitely either on the north or east sides of the complex. Gratiot and Woodwards are the "front" of the complex for pedestrians.

Old Posted Dec 17, 2017, 4:17 PM

What the hells going on with the top of this thing? Other than the height I wouldn't call this a signature skyline element. Hopefully not the final design. Really wish they would have kept the original design. That was gorgeous.

Old Posted Dec 18, 2017, 7:49 PM
A.F.K.A. JayPro

This new version is far more integrated. Façade-wise, less is more here.

I'm still a bit concerned how it will blend with the surroundings.

The other new development nearby should help smooth the transition, though.

Old Posted Dec 18, 2017, 7:58 PM
devout Pizzatarian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rgarri4 View Post
What the hells going on with the top of this thing?
yeah, i'm still a little unclear from the renderings what exactly is happening at the top of the tower as well.

it might be something cool, but i'm not sure what i'm looking at.

but it will be very cool to see a tower of this size rise in detroit. this will be only the 8th building in the midwest (outside of chicago) to stand over 700' tall, and it will be the first such tower to be built in over a quarter century. it's kind of a big deal.

Old Posted Dec 18, 2017, 8:00 PM

I think it's safe to say expect more changes, the thing won't be finalized till like mid-2018 (it looks like they still don't know what to do with the lower part of the tower), even then anybody who's followed big construction projects knows nothing is truly finalized until it's fully built.

Old Posted Dec 19, 2017, 4:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LMich View Post
My understanding is that vehicle/service access to the underground is on the "back" along Farmer, or even more likely along Grand River where the current north access is. It's definitely either on the north or east sides of the complex. Gratiot and Woodwards are the "front" of the complex for pedestrians.
Hmmm I'm not very familiar with the accessibility of documents related to planned developments in Detroit. When I lived there I didn't follow this sort of thing but I'm wondering if there is a place online to look up any diagrams for this development that were filed with the city.

Old Posted Dec 19, 2017, 9:09 AM

About the top: It's clear they have purposefully continued to obscure what exactly they are doing at the top. What is clear from the descriptions from the first revision is that you'll have an observation deck that overhangs the rest of the tower. Bedrock most recently mentioned a view from 800 feet, so not even the height is exactly nailed down.

I think they feel they can get away with being ambiguous since the entire first year and phase of the project is taking out the existing underground garage and construction the new one before steel actually begins rising. They seem to be much more concerned with how this will interact at the street; while there have been minor architectural changes, the programming of the lower floors has remained the same for quite some time (heavy emphasis of event/exhibition space and ground floor retail).

Old Posted Dec 20, 2017, 1:13 AM
homesick alien

Is this thing back up to 800’ even?

Old Posted Dec 20, 2017, 2:46 AM

So great to see Detroit have an 800' tower about to begin construction! No one would have guessed this would be possible a few years ago.
Comcast Center, Philadelphia 1,121 ft UCWilshire Grand, Los Angeles 1,100 ft UC
Salesforce Tower, San Francisco 1,070 ft 53W53, New York 1,050 ft UC

Old Posted Jan 11, 2018, 7:59 AM

01/02/18

01/07/18

Old Posted Jan 11, 2018, 11:05 AM

Doesn't look like much activity.

Old Posted Jan 14, 2018, 11:00 PM
The Believer

Quote:
Originally Posted by cityguy View Post
Doesn't look like much activity.
There's been some activity since that last picture was taken. The fence has been covered up with the marketing posters.

Old Posted Jan 16, 2018, 6:41 PM
The Believer

I drove by again today during lunch. I saw a few people standing around and some trucks parked on the site, but I am not sure if these were for the Hudson site or the Shinola Hotel across the street.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > Skyscraper & Highrise Construction