HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces > Halifax > Halifax Peninsula & Downtown Dartmouth

Old Posted Dec 12, 2017, 3:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldDartmouthMark View Post
Looks like they are in the process of building a proper website. Their instagram site has some cool in-progress shots, but still not a good rendering to give an idea on how the finished product will look.

Thanks for the link, Colin.
I read today, in AllNS, that the Bell Lofts are being stalled. Apparently, Bell Canada claims that the extension on top of the old Maritime Tel & Tel office building will result in unacceptable snow loads to their adjacent "data transportation hub," and has filed an application with NS Supreme Court to stop the work.

Old Posted Dec 12, 2017, 4:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by eastcoastal View Post
I read today, in AllNS, that the Bell Lofts are being stalled. Apparently, Bell Canada claims that the extension on top of the old Maritime Tel & Tel office building will result in unacceptable snow loads to their adjacent "data transportation hub," and has filed an application with NS Supreme Court to stop the work.
Progress from the weekend. Hopefully the stop work does not last long.

20171210_132959_HDR by Jonovision23, on Flickr

Old Posted Dec 12, 2017, 4:28 PM

Lots of progress on the on the daylighting.

20171210_133456 by Jonovision23, on Flickr

20171210_133614 by Jonovision23, on Flickr

20171210_133631 by Jonovision23, on Flickr

20171210_133638 by Jonovision23, on Flickr

20171210_133930 by Jonovision23, on Flickr

20171210_134036 by Jonovision23, on Flickr

20171210_134030 by Jonovision23, on Flickr

Old Posted Dec 12, 2017, 6:57 PM

Damn shame to have that Highfield Park Special right in the middle of all this.

Old Posted Dec 12, 2017, 10:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keith P. View Post
Damn shame to have that Highfield Park Special right in the middle of all this.

Old Posted Dec 12, 2017, 10:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldDartmouthMark View Post
But those lucky people move into a tacky looking building and now they have waterfront - WOW!!

Old Posted Dec 14, 2017, 7:26 PM
Jelly Bean Sandwich

Shut up already

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/nova-s...nges-1.4448451

I get it we've all been there or are there now. Maybe it's the media spin but is anyone in the South End ever happy?

Old Posted Dec 14, 2017, 8:26 PM

So the choice would be less hours for many more days, weeks and months or more hours for a much shorter time - kind of a silly question if you ask me

Old Posted Dec 14, 2017, 9:02 PM

Likely this is Mason trying to get back at the developer who got approval for this project despite his opposition.

Old Posted Dec 15, 2017, 4:39 AM

Construction noise is also banned on Sundays/holidays in Hong Kong unless you hold a special permit. I am 100 per cent in favour of this. People should be able to enjoy some peace and quiet at least one day a week.

Old Posted Dec 15, 2017, 9:31 AM

The construction season is longer in Vancouver than here so that is not an apples to apples comparison. I am in the business, most contractors I work with run 7-7, Monday to Friday. Weekends and evenings up to the nosie cut off are used only when the schedule at risk of getting snowed in. Contractors are people two and try to have some time to enjoy the summer.

Old Posted Dec 18, 2017, 3:09 PM

Quote:
Likely this is Mason trying to get back at the developer who got approval for this project despite his opposition.
I don't know... I don't think it's the sort of thing that could be applied to projects that would already be approved - it would be a huge impact to a budget that depended on "12-hour-per-day" pile-driving (which I suspect is a bit of an exaggeration), and the city would open itself up to some serious lawsuits if this was the sort of thing that was applied retroactively.

I also seriously doubt changes to the bylaws would happen before whatever project it was that a particular counselor may have a grudge against is complete. Though... I guess in this city, the race to the bottom between construction speed and bureaucracy has no clear "leader."

Old Posted Dec 20, 2017, 3:13 PM
Halifax Promoter!

Last edited by teddifax; Dec 20, 2017 at 3:14 PM. Reason: make comment

Old Posted Dec 20, 2017, 4:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by teddifax View Post
It's not the pipe we hate, it's the ugliness!

Old Posted Dec 20, 2017, 5:09 PM

The narrator's accent is cloying and annoying. Plus I am in disagreement with the principles he espouses. Suggesting a half-dozen hard and fast rules might get you a city that some deem great but for others it may be seen as an impractical and undesirable place to live.

Old Posted Dec 20, 2017, 9:10 PM

Yeah, we should live in a city like Barcelona (population 1.6 million) instead of peninsula Halifax (population less than 70,000).
I see so many of the same stupid expositions, particularly on Twitter where local hipsters post pictures of large foreign cities with cyclists,trees, medians with shrubs and bike lanes and then ask why we cannot be like the very clever foreigners all the while forgetting to mention that peninsula Halifax has steep hills, has winter weather and is almost devoid of wide sidewalks and downtown has 35 foot wide roads. Too bad universities don't have a Masters programme in Common Sense & Critical Thinking.

Old Posted Dec 20, 2017, 9:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Colin May View Post
Yeah, we should live in a city like Barcelona (population 1.6 million) instead of peninsula Halifax (population less than 70,000).
I see so many of the same stupid expositions, particularly on Twitter where local hipsters post pictures of large foreign cities with cyclists,trees, medians with shrubs and bike lanes and then ask why we cannot be like the very clever foreigners all the while forgetting to mention that peninsula Halifax has steep hills, has winter weather and is almost devoid of wide sidewalks and downtown has 35 foot wide roads. Too bad universities don't have a Masters programme in Common Sense & Critical Thinking.
A post I wish I had made! I must be slipping. Well done sir!!

Old Posted Dec 20, 2017, 10:37 PM

Quote:
A post I wish I had made! I must be slipping. Well done sir!!
High praise from Keith! Colin, mark this day!

Old Posted Dec 21, 2017, 1:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by terrynorthend View Post
High praise from Keith! Colin, mark this day!
Is this akin to winning an Olympic medal ?
Oh, and Merry Christmas to you and may 2018 be better than 2017 ( mine was a bit s--t after falling and breaking my hip when dismounting from a bike !!!)
Amazing what people post on Twitter (I refuse to join & I don't have a cellphone)
A few gems I noticed included a cyclist going the wrong way on a one way street and complaining about the ice on the road. First post on Dec 15.
And then a photo of a woman, possibly his wife, cycling on a snowy road; first 2 posts on Dec 16 see - https://twitter.com/kyleplans
And then scroll down to the first post on Dec 12
Would you insure such people ?
Would you want to be in the same insurance pool ?
Is that safer than the safety rules for small children in a car ?
I'd view this as reckless and endangering a small child to make a political statement.
I must admit that as a child and an adult I did some stupid stuff when riding a bike but I never endangered the lives of my kids.

Old Posted Dec 21, 2017, 2:58 AM

He is the most zealous of cycling zealots. I believe he works for HRM which may explain a lot of the nonsense that we are seeing from them of late when it comes to cycling and "complete streets". Like most cycling zealots, he seems to enjoy ignoring the rules with impunity even when it comes to helmets and other safety items, and shows a shocking lack of understanding of how others see some of this stuff.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces > Halifax > Halifax Peninsula & Downtown Dartmouth