HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture > Completed Project Threads Archive

The Laurel in the SkyscraperPage Database

Building Data Page   • Comparison Diagram   • Philadelphia Skyscraper Diagram

Map Location
Philadelphia Projects & Construction Forum

Old Posted Sep 9, 2015, 3:00 PM

Thanks for the red box - graphic above.

If we get anything like they've built in SF or Chicago - it's money.

And it will fill the gap in the skyline between IBX and Commerce Sqs.

Great times. I want to see the renders NOW.

Old Posted Sep 9, 2015, 5:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by UPenn18 View Post
But I think 3601 Market was their first attempt at building a true highrise in a dense, mixed-used, urban setting, and they succeeded.
Let's not get ahead of ourselves. They need to occupy that building with people willing to pay $1700+/mo. for a studio apartment in a part of Philly that has 0 nightlife/culture in the immediate vicinity. That building could cost them millions if they have trouble filling it.

Old Posted Sep 9, 2015, 5:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thisisforreal View Post
Let's not get ahead of ourselves. They need to occupy that building with people willing to pay $1700+/mo. for a studio apartment in a part of Philly that has 0 nightlife/culture in the immediate vicinity. That building could cost them millions if they have trouble filling it.
Students - especially international grad students - are all over that building. It may pull in some nearby employees of the Science Center, hospitals, universities, etc.... but these new residential towers in UCity are filling up fast. Keep in mind that the only luxury building in University City for a while was Domus. Now we have 3737 Chestnut, 3601 Market and Evo. Evo is practically leased out.

Old Posted Sep 14, 2015, 10:38 PM

In response to my inquiry, 1911 rep said there would be a mix of luxury apartments and condos. I think that's a good thing, and in conjunction with the retail, will help with tower height. Luxury apartments springing up around the square general. Domb just launched a number of new luxury apartments in the Alison building.

Old Posted Sep 15, 2015, 9:02 PM

Imagining a 500+ footer here to left off Rittenhouse Plaza - up in the sky...

[IMG]Untitled by screennameLLC, on Flickr[/IMG]

Or to the right here -

Old Posted Sep 16, 2015, 4:19 AM
Philly -> Osaka -> Tokyo

Quote:
Originally Posted by TallCoolOne View Post
Imagining a 500+ footer here to left off Rittenhouse Plaza - up in the sky...

Or to the right here -

Right now I'm imagining something filling that parking lot.

Who knows but that, on the lower levels, I speak for you?’ (Ralph Ellison, Invisible Man)

Old Posted Sep 16, 2015, 12:25 PM
BANNED

when is this going to be presented to neighborhood groups?

Old Posted Oct 2, 2015, 1:07 AM
Philly Rising Up!

Let's hope the neighbors in the Association have good taste and adopt an awesome/iconic design.

Small excerpt from phillymag.com on 1911 Walnut:

While Dustin Downey wouldn't go into the specifics of the high-profile project, he did say that the development team would be meeting with the neighbors in the coming weeks to present the initial plans for the lot next to Rittenhouse Square. Downey said they want the building to be "iconic," while also being aware of and responding to the concerns the neighbors and community. "I hope they like it," Downey said regarding the plans, "if they don't, we'll redesign it so that they like it."

Read more at http://www.phillymag.com/property/20...AHUD9LqQUcX.99

Old Posted Oct 2, 2015, 2:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by iheartphilly View Post
"I hope they like it," Downey said regarding the plans, "if they don't, we'll redesign it so that they like it."
.. well, it'll probably never get done now.. I'm sure NIMBYs will force a death-by-redesign-and-redesign-and-redesign-and-redesign-and-redesign

Old Posted Oct 2, 2015, 2:20 PM

Quote:
"I hope they like it," Downey said regarding the plans, "if they don't, we'll redesign it so that they like it."
Famous last words . . . .

Old Posted Oct 2, 2015, 2:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by iheartphilly View Post
Some NIMBYs just want to watch the world burn.

Old Posted Oct 4, 2015, 4:47 PM
Always Lookin' Up

Quote:
Originally Posted by boxbot View Post
Some NIMBYs just want to watch the world burn.
I'm amazed at how much influence these associations have. They actually have the power to have building plans changed if they don't approve. Interesting.

Old Posted Oct 4, 2015, 7:49 PM
Up, up, and away!

I suppose if there never was a gentleman's agreement, Philly wouldn't have this problem. Does NY or Chicago or LA have groups like this? They must not be as strong there, right?

Old Posted Oct 5, 2015, 1:08 AM
Philly -> Osaka -> Tokyo

Quote:
Originally Posted by SSBMEXPERT View Post
I suppose if there never was a gentleman's agreement, Philly wouldn't have this problem. Does NY or Chicago or LA have groups like this? They must not be as strong there, right?
They're stronger in San Francisco. And in some ways, in NYC too. In Chicago the aldermen have the real power, perhaps moreso than Council here. Dunno how things work in LA.

Who knows but that, on the lower levels, I speak for you?’ (Ralph Ellison, Invisible Man)

Old Posted Oct 5, 2015, 1:12 AM

I think the idea of the nearby community having a say in development is important but it doesn't seem like the execution is right.

Last edited by MikeNigh; Oct 5, 2015 at 1:44 AM.

Old Posted Oct 5, 2015, 1:31 AM

Look, I can get frustrated with the short-sightedness and parochialism of NIMBYs as much as the next guy (to say nothing of their irrational fear of tall buildings), but this whole "neighborhood groups are pure evil" thing is a bit much. NIMBYs have actually stopped some real atrocities from happening. Like, South Street would be a freaking expressway right now.

Old Posted Oct 5, 2015, 2:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mja View Post
Look, I can get frustrated with the short-sightedness and parochialism of NIMBYs as much as the next guy (to say nothing of their irrational fear of tall buildings), but this whole "neighborhood groups are pure evil" thing is a bit much. NIMBYs have actually stopped some real atrocities from happening. Like, South Street would be a freaking expressway right now.
The Piazza would have been a strip shopping center!!!

Old Posted Oct 5, 2015, 4:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mja View Post
Not to mention that there would be a parking garage under Rittenhouse Square. The Crosstown Expressway would have RUINED Center City. There would also be highways along Girard Avenue and 52nd Street. Sometimes, NIMBYism can be a good thing. I just hate when NIMBYs ruin great skyscrapers. 1900 Chestnut will always be an example of when NIMBYism goes wrong.

Old Posted Oct 5, 2015, 7:14 PM
BANNED

I think people fighting to stop a highway that would displace thousands is a little different from people who try to stop building from going up because it may affect their views or because they dont want more congestion in an already urban neighborhood. I don't think the two groups deserve to get placed in the same category.

Old Posted Oct 5, 2015, 8:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhilliesPhan View Post
1900 Chestnut will always be an example of when NIMBYism goes wrong.
I get what you're saying, but to be fair, nothing has been built there yet. If we get a beautifully elegant and redesigned tower here then it's a great result for everyone.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture > Completed Project Threads Archive