HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario > Hamilton > Downtown & City of Hamilton

Old Posted Aug 10, 2010, 12:52 PM

Old Posted Aug 10, 2010, 12:52 PM
charging...

If CP is out, I say they

- vote WH
- stadium or not, carry on with downtown and harbour revitalization and remediation
- keep building driveway to driveway box malls on the mountain
- pass a new by-law to limit land lord absenteeism to a maximum of six months on undeveloped propertes; in essense, tell Vranich, "either build something here, or sell the property to someone who will, or we will tear this sucker down at your own expense. You have six months."
- use Future Fund money as a grant, not a loan which the citizens of Hamilton have to repay twice
- start opening the doors to other sports franchises
- carry on with life

Old Posted Aug 10, 2010, 1:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by realcity View Post
Braley already owned the Cats. Why doesn't he still own them is the question?
It says on Wiki he sold them two community ownership.

Old Posted Aug 10, 2010, 1:32 PM
It's Hammer Time

The Spec has written an editorial on the issue, reaffirming the paper's position in support of the West Harbour

http://thespec.com/article/823255

Old Posted Aug 10, 2010, 1:43 PM
It's Hammer Time

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteelTown View Post
You can watch council live starting at 9am. It'll be a LONG day, probably right up to midnight.

http://www.thespec.com/News/Local/article/823160
The video is up and running.

Old Posted Aug 10, 2010, 2:19 PM
It's Hammer Time

Chris Murrary just basically said the City doesn't need the Ti Cats to build the stadium. Ian Troop has said without the Ti Cats the City will need to provide a legacy case.

Old Posted Aug 10, 2010, 2:26 PM

Quote:
The Spec has written an editorial on the issue, reaffirming the paper's position in support of the West Harbour

http://thespec.com/article/823255
Elliott is a hypocrite. If he had a real interest in improving downtown Hamilton, He'd move the Spec offices back. It was the Spec's abandonment of the downtown that started the decline of the core.

A stadium simply will not revive the downtown. Having people there 24/7 living and working is the only thing that will revive the core. Megaprojects are a waste of potential redevelopment lands.

Old Posted Aug 10, 2010, 2:26 PM
Unapologetic Occidental

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigguy1231 View Post
The CFL might be a big thing out where you live but here it is relegated to a second class sport. Don't get me wrong, we are passionate supporters of the Ticats but if they left they would not be missed. We just have so much else to choose from sports wise that most of the population doesn't give the CFL a second thought. It's not the only game in town like it is in Regina.
Why is it that for some people, everything always boils down to “the CFL is bush league and I am as of now on no longer paying any attention to it and will be an avid supporter of bringing the NFL to Toronto”.

Every pro sport has scandals, boondoggles, fiascos, and its share of boneheaded, selfish owners and athletes you wouldn’t ever want your daughter to date. Every single sport.

I just find it a bit ridiculous to hear the Pavlovian reaction of some:

“A backup linebacker on the Saskatchewan Roughriders was arrested for drunk driving. That’s it, the CFL is bush league and I am as of now on no longer paying any attention to it and will be an avid supporter of bringing the NFL to Toronto”.

“I bet 100 bucks on the Grey Cup and my team lost because of a single off a missed field goal. That’s it, the CFL is bush league and I am as of now on no longer paying any attention to it and will be an avid supporter of bringing the NFL to Toronto”.

“(Insert excuse number 8233576 here) That’s it, the CFL is bush league and I am as of now on no longer paying any attention to it and will be an avid supporter of bringing the NFL to Toronto”.

Old Posted Aug 10, 2010, 2:28 PM

Quote:
Chris Murrary just basically said the City doesn't need the Ti Cats to build the stadium. Ian Troop has said without the Ti Cats the City will need to provide a legacy case.
What's the legacy case? Troop needs to know by Thursday and, from what I can see, there is no substantial legacy case. Namby-pamby pie-in-the-sky musings about concerts mean nothing. We already have a concert venue downtown that is losing money, it's called Copps Colliseum.

Old Posted Aug 10, 2010, 2:29 PM
It's Hammer Time

The City can make up a legacy case really easy. Just say ahh "provides the legacy of long term use for soccer".

Old Posted Aug 10, 2010, 2:34 PM

YOu're gonna have to be more concrete than that to secure funds. The conditions for financing from the Feds was made quite clear by Gary Lunn on Saturday.

Old Posted Aug 10, 2010, 2:36 PM

Apparently Whitehead is asking how the investment can be justified seeing that the city report mentions on several occasions that the WH site is not financially viable without the Ticats as a tenant. Lead story on CHML this past half-hour.

Old Posted Aug 10, 2010, 2:39 PM

Callers are blasting Eisenberger and council on CHML right now by the way...

Old Posted Aug 10, 2010, 2:42 PM
charging...

Well, it's no secret which way CHML leans, so it's hardly an unbiased source of public opinion either.

Old Posted Aug 10, 2010, 2:52 PM
Concerned Citizen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acajack View Post
Why is it that for some people, everything always boils down to “the CFL is bush league and I am as of now on no longer paying any attention to it and will be an avid supporter of bringing the NFL to Toronto”.

Every pro sport has scandals, boondoggles, fiascos, and its share of boneheaded, selfish owners and athletes you wouldn’t ever want your daughter to date. Every single sport.

“A backup linebacker on the Saskatchewan Roughriders was arrested for drunk driving. That’s it, the CFL is bush league and I am as of now on no longer paying any attention to it and will be an avid supporter of bringing the NFL to Toronto”.

“I bet 100 bucks on the Grey Cup and my team lost because of a single off a missed field goal. That’s it, the CFL is bush league and I am as of now on no longer paying any attention to it and will be an avid supporter of bringing the NFL to Toronto”.

“(Insert excuse number 8233576 here) That’s it, the CFL is bush league and I am as of now on no longer paying any attention to it and will be an avid supporter of bringing the NFL to Toronto”.
I didn't say it was bush league. I happen to enjoy the CFL. I had season tickets for years. I gave them up because of work commitments otherwise I would still have them.

I said that the CFL has been relegated to second class status. Which for the most part is true. Most people I know focus on other sports. The NHL, NFL, MLB and NBA all have a higher profile especially amongst younger people.

People outside of S. Ontario may hate us, but the reality is we represent a quarter of this country's population. More people live within an hour or two of Hamilton, than live in all of Western Canada. Like it or not, without S.Ontario the CFL would die. There would be no justification for the TV networks to bid for rights with no representation in the biggest markets.

Old Posted Aug 10, 2010, 2:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acajack View Post

That does happen. But for me the CFL has always been number 2. I liked the NFL even when it was not as popular in the mid 90's

Old Posted Aug 10, 2010, 2:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigguy1231 View Post
I didn't say it was bush league. I happen to enjoy the CFL. I had season tickets for years. I gave them up because of work commitments otherwise I would still have them.

I said that the CFL has been relegated to second class status. Which for the most part is true. Most people I know focus on other sports. The NHL, NFL, MLB and NBA all have a higher profile especially amongst younger people.

People outside of S. Ontario may hate us, but the reality is we represent a quarter of this country's population. More people live within an hour or two of Hamilton, than live in all of Western Canada.
And that is the truth. 9 million people in the golden horseshoe.

Old Posted Aug 10, 2010, 2:56 PM
It's Hammer Time

IBI says majority of Ti Cats fans prefer the West Harbour transit wise.

Old Posted Aug 10, 2010, 2:57 PM
Concerned Citizen

Quote:
Originally Posted by AL3000 View Post
Well, it's no secret which way CHML leans, so it's hardly an unbiased source of public opinion either.
Someone else mentioned that and suggested they change their call letters to CATS.

Old Posted Aug 10, 2010, 2:59 PM
It's Hammer Time

IBI suggest offering free parking to season ticket holders.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario > Hamilton > Downtown & City of Hamilton