HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > Skyscraper & Highrise Construction

Forma West in the SkyscraperPage Database

Building Data Page   • Comparison Diagram   • Toronto Skyscraper Diagram

Map Location
Toronto Forum   • Toronto Projects & Construction Forum

Old Posted Sep 29, 2012, 7:40 PM

Red face TORONTO | Forma | 308 M - 266.5M | 82 & 72 FLOORS

This is not neccessarily a supertall right now, but with these many floors it is likely. Designed by Frank Gehry, These 3 Ionic condos will sit on top of a podium that will contain 2 art galleries and retail. Most Likely Toronto's 3 new tallest buildings.

a couple of articles about it:

David Mirvish and Frank Gehry to transform King St. strip into culture and condo complex

Frank Gehry to remake David Mirvish’s King Street in Toronto

Last edited by Urbannizer; Sep 7, 2022 at 5:09 PM.

Old Posted Sep 29, 2012, 7:41 PM
Mortaaaaaaaaar!

Huh. I'd have thought that Toronto proposals would taper off after 1 York got scaled back.

Wasn't someone saying that the Toronto market was peaking? Or were they full of it?

Old Posted Sep 29, 2012, 8:01 PM

Never saw this coming.

Old Posted Sep 29, 2012, 8:06 PM

The market does appear to be slowing down, but it's still higher than in most North American cities. That being said, I would be surprised if these get built as high as they look in the proposal. Nevertheless, I would love them to be built, potentially a supertall.

Old Posted Sep 29, 2012, 8:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by scalziand View Post
Huh. I'd have thought that Toronto proposals would taper off after 1 York got scaled back.

Wasn't someone saying that the Toronto market was peaking? Or were they full of it?
There has been a slowdown in the condo market, about 30% - however by the time shovels are in the ground for these three towers it'll be years, at which time the market could get stronger.

I think there is still a huge demand for premium areas and King Street (Entertainment District) is where people want to be.

I do think these towers will be scaled down, as seems to be customary in Toronto. However the councillor, Adam Vaughn, has been working with the project team for over a year, so who knows.

Old Posted Sep 29, 2012, 8:57 PM

I wonder if this was the big project Leftcoaster was hinting at a few weeks ago?

Old Posted Sep 29, 2012, 9:51 PM

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/news/...rticle4577221/

Need to update some info. The three towers are proposed to be 80 stories each. So it will be probably the tallest buildings in Canada but I'm not too sure about supertall size (maybe if floor size is big enough)? Also, he hasn't approached for zoning but has talked to Councillors.

The problem I have with this proposal is that Gehry won't be making many friends by demolishing several antique buildings in the theatre district. However, I'm sure that people would want these towers to be built simply based on how revolutionary these buildings may be. The renderings aren't too exciting but this will definitely some world class architecture and better than the boxes we've seen popping in and out of toronto. Even if the towers aren't supertalls, they are sure to be an example to all other developers. It will show that Toronto isn't just a place to build a quick cheap condo to make a quick buck.

These buildings are on par with the huge (supertall) towers being built in New York, and thats something you can't say about any building in Toronto.

Furthermore, give these guys a chance...they're not just building condos...they are art galleries, its something that comes from his heart, it is Gehry's signature to Toronto.

Though I say all this, in the end I believe this project won't go through... unless its transformed to a hideous, typical condo.

Council won't allow it, and pretentious Torontonians won't allow it.

Old Posted Sep 30, 2012, 2:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cruzin4u View Post
I do think these towers will be scaled down, as seems to be customary in Toronto. However the councillor, Adam Vaughn, has been working with the project team for over a year, so who knows.
Vaughan is militantly anti-skyscraper, so I must say I doubt your information.

Old Posted Sep 30, 2012, 4:03 PM
I am the law!

Vaughan is hardly anti-skyscraper. He's a community builder that expects more from developments than just height.

It's his heritage. His father worked for Page and Steele.

Old Posted Sep 30, 2012, 4:33 PM
gettin' rich!

Awesome project for Toronto.

Old Posted Sep 30, 2012, 6:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhipperSnapper View Post
Vaughan is hardly anti-skyscraper. He's a community builder that expects more from developments than just height.
Perhaps. My impression is empirical. I have nothing against him, and like his politics generally, but everytime I have heard him speak about condos he has inveighed against height. I have a hard time buying that he would support three absolutuly mammoth towers.

Old Posted Sep 30, 2012, 7:12 PM
I am the law!

I doubt he would support three mammoth towers without making absolutely certain the community benefits from them and that the existing infrastructure won't be overwhelmed by the benchmark they will set on the neighourhood. I'm sure the architecture will impress him but he will also consider that this is taking out one and a half prime King West blocks including a theatre.

There's a good reason planning departments support cone shaped skylines. It as simply put as maximizing density with minimal stress on infrastructure.

Old Posted Sep 30, 2012, 10:50 PM

Well, we'll see. I hope he sees enough of a benefit to hold his nose and swallow on the towers. Interesting.

Old Posted Oct 1, 2012, 12:04 PM

Just saw something really interesting on CityNews Headlines as I was watching Breakfast Television. It said that the project was in the "works" but also said "the Princess of Wales will be demolished".

This almost makes it seem as if the project was approved and they're certainly going to tear down the theatre :o (which I know can't possibly be the case).

Unless CityNews is just trolling, this is some exciting news! Until then we'll just have to wait for the press conference

Old Posted Oct 1, 2012, 12:19 PM

what time is the press conference?

Old Posted Oct 1, 2012, 4:50 PM
gettin' rich!

video is up on the website

http://projectcore.com/

Old Posted Oct 1, 2012, 5:07 PM
Bostonian

Screenshot from the video:

Tough to tell, but IMO they look to be about the same height as First Canadian Place.

Old Posted Oct 1, 2012, 5:20 PM
+

Never going to happen.

This is as much of a pipe dream as Gehry's Atlantic Yards proposal. Toronto's overheated condo market is going to fizzle out any time now.

By the time this project goes through with all the necessary approvals and permits it will be dead in the water.

Old Posted Oct 1, 2012, 5:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hed Kandi View Post
Never going to happen.

This is as much of a pipe dream as Gehry's Atlantic Yards proposal. Toronto's overheated condo market is going to fizzle out any time now.

By the time this project goes through with all the necessary approvals and permits it will be dead in the water.

I'll tell Mirvish and Gehry to call if off then.

Old Posted Oct 1, 2012, 5:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hed Kandi View Post
Never going to happen.

Aawww. You mean, you hope

Never deny a Vancouverite the opportunity to make a poo poo face about something going on in Toronto. Toronto could collectively cure cancer and Vancouver would whinge about it.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > Skyscraper & Highrise Construction