HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario > Ottawa-Gatineau > Suburbs

Old Posted Dec 9, 2009, 8:18 PM
National Capital Region

In other Trinity news, looks like Sobeys is the grocer for the Manotick site, which is still at the OMB as far as I know
http://www.trinity-group.com/index.php?q=node/412

and here's their latest Orleans site plan with some of the new tenants like Empire (the link has the legend for the #'s)

http://www.trinity-group.com/index.php?q=node/417

Old Posted Jan 10, 2010, 9:11 PM
National Capital Region

New Retail Development Project in Kanata for the Colonnade Group

The Colonnade Group of Companies has entered into an agreement to provide full leasing, development and construction related services for a 16.4 acre site south of Highway 417/Queensway in Ottawa’s rapidly expanding Kanata community. This future retail project, the Queensway West Retail Centre, is located immediately west of the existing Home Depot and has development capacity of approximately 140,000 square feet of retail. In addition, a portion of the site is slated for a potential hotel use, benefiting from the site’s close proximity to Scotiabank Place and the unique market opportunity it provides.
Kanata has become one of Ottawa’s most affluent and preferred residential and commercial locations and the retail development of this site will only add to that growth and success. Aided by more than 150 events per year at Scotiabank Place and traffic counts of approximately 60,000 vehicles daily on the Queensway and to the adjacent Home Depot and Costco, this site should attract a wide variety of national retailers.

This project is currently zoned and positioned for development in 2010.

Brochure

Their Carleton Place site is getting a Phase II

Here's an aerial of the Kemptville site

Old Posted Jan 11, 2010, 1:04 PM
Mooderator

It used to be somewhat difficult to guess which stores were coming to a new power centre, but now it's terribly easy. Bank, coffee shop, home renovation store, office supplies, wal-mart, booze.. rubber stamp and repeat.

Old Posted Jan 11, 2010, 1:31 PM
I am a typical

Jesus wept.

Old Posted Jan 15, 2010, 12:42 PM

I was driving out to sittsville the other day and just past the kevin haime golf centre there is a massive new mall going up.Does anyone know what mall this is and what stores it will have.

Old Posted Jan 16, 2010, 3:51 PM

Cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by reidjr View Post
I was driving out to sittsville the other day and just past the kevin haime golf centre there is a massive new mall going up.Does anyone know what mall this is and what stores it will have.
http://www.trinity-group.com/index.php?q=node/168

Check this out for the answer.

Old Posted Jan 22, 2010, 9:56 PM
National Capital Region

Wal-Mart Canada moves Kemptville construction forward
http://www.yourottawaregion.com/news...uction-forward

“I could not be happier,” said North Grenville Mayor Bill Gooch, as word of Wal-Mart Canada’s decision to move up their construction date by two years for their store in Kemptville, was made public on Wednesday.

A press release from Wal-Mart stated, "The store is expected to be completed in early 2011 as part of the "Kemptville Colonnade" and retail centre currently developing at the interchange of Highways 43 and 416”.

Mayor Gooch is more optimistic.

He hopes that construction will begin early and as a result the store could be completed as soon as this Christmas.

The mayor says that the Colonnade development is ready to go with sewer and water connections already set up as well as the council’s promise to do all that they can to hurry the building process up.

The press release stated, “"Investing in a new store is a significant financial commitment for Wal-Mart Canada,” said Ken Farrell, Vice President of Store Development for Wal-Mart Canada.

"We do a considerable amount of research before we enter a market, including a review of the needs of the local community. We believe the community around Kemptville is vital and strong, and we look forward to being a part of it.”

The construction of the new Wal-Mart store is expected to create over 200 construction trade jobs.

Once the store is built, Wal-Mart is expected to hire up to 175 "associates."

Mayor Gooch has been meeting with Colonnade and Wal-Mart over the past two years to ensure that the project went ahead.

This past summer he was disappointed to hear form Wal-Mart that they had decided to delay their construction until 2012.

Gooch said that he was surprised when Wal-Mart called to meet with him and even more delighted to be told that they were moving their project schedule forward.

He said that the news is like lighting a fuse on economic development in North Grenville.

“My next focus,” he said, “will be industrial development.”

Old Posted Jan 22, 2010, 10:00 PM
National Capital Region

Welcome to the big leagues, Kemptville!

Old Posted Feb 1, 2010, 1:35 AM
National Capital Region

Plateau Des Grives Gatineau (First Capital Realty)

Here's its friend next door (Trinity)

Old Posted Feb 1, 2010, 1:54 AM
National Capital Region

SmartCentres Orleans... here's their plan for the area between Mer Bleu and Winners

Pic by me from the summer

Old Posted Feb 1, 2010, 2:29 PM

That one in gatineau is massive.

Old Posted Feb 1, 2010, 3:45 PM
Unapologetic Occidental

Quote:
That one in gatineau is massive.
I just hate it.

And yet the city wants to develop a "heart" for the Plateau area just down the road from there:
http://www.ville.gatineau.qc.ca/page..._coeur_plateau

As if it stands a chance of ever seeing the light of day.

Old Posted Feb 1, 2010, 3:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acajack View Post
I just hate it.

And yet the city wants to develop a "heart" for the Plateau area just down the road from there:

As if it stands a chance of ever seeing the light of day.
What is the plateau project and why or why not will it get the green light.

Old Posted Feb 1, 2010, 3:59 PM
Busy Beaver

That whole Plateau village plan is laughable since it has no rapid transit links. It will be ho hum suburbia just like any other, choked with cars and blotted with huge parking lots.

Old Posted Feb 1, 2010, 4:09 PM
Unapologetic Occidental

Quote:
What is the plateau project and why or why not will it get the green light.
Posted the wrong link.

Here is some info on it in English:

I guess in theory it already has the green light. The idea is to give an urban-like "heart" to the Plateau, but really instead of building a new urban-like neighbourhoood from scratch and hence creating the winning conditions for an urban feel to coalesce, it's just tacking a pastiche of urbanity onto the edge what is your average suburban area. Plus as I said, the urban heart of the Plateau will have to compete with the big box ocean that is a two-minute drive away and which already captures, to name just one example, much of the area's entertainment dollars with the multi-plex cinemas.

At present, the big box ocean of Le Plateau has few if any sit-down restaurants, and if the city were smart it would try and encourage them to set up shop (because they will come to the Plateau eventually) in the Plateau's heart that it says it wants to create rather than as stand-alone pods surrounded by a sea of asphalt near the cinemas, Rona and Bureau en gros.

Old Posted Feb 1, 2010, 4:24 PM

I just looked at the retail complex is it some what new as i have never heard of it.My main point is why is there need for such a huge retail complex there and then a another one not to far away i just don't get it.

Old Posted Feb 1, 2010, 4:25 PM
Mooderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by waterloowarrior View Post

I had no idea it was going to be this huge. Gross.

The new housing developments on the western edge of the Plateau (near Vanier) are disgusting. All brown / beige homes with stone fronts and fugly vinyl on the three other sides, asses facing Allumettières. This is supposed to be charming?

Old Posted Feb 1, 2010, 4:52 PM
Unapologetic Occidental

Quote:
I just looked at the retail complex is it some what new as i have never heard of it.My main point is why is there need for such a huge retail complex there and then a another one not to far away i just don't get it.
Well, it serves all of Hull (which has little space for big boxes elsewhere) plus all of Aylmer and points west like Luskville, Quyon, Pontiac, etc. and also much of Chelsea.

Aside from Les Galeries de Hull, a very constrained mall, there isn't much large-scale retail in what is a fairly huge area, west of the Gatineau River.

The population in this wider zone is probably close to 150,000 people or even more.

Old Posted Feb 1, 2010, 5:24 PM
Mooderator

^ and Aylmer is already one of the fastest growing areas in Ottawa/Gatineau.. plus there is a heavy anti-development movement in downtown Aylmer (by this I mean NO big box stores) Canadian Tire on rue Principale has tried to expand but met opposition... they actually want to plop a big box on the corner of Vanier and Allumettières, which has met heavy opposition (if you are to believe the letters to the editor in the Aylmer Bulletin).

All of these new people in Aylmer will go somewhere.. there are only so many that will stick to the local 'mom and pop' stores in the old downtown core. if they don't build it in the Plateau, they will go to Ottawa or the old city of Gatineau..the developers know this.

I'd be surprised if one of those plots isn't a new Costco..

Old Posted Feb 12, 2010, 11:53 PM

Does anyone know what is being bulit in the power centre located at the corner of West Hunt Club and Merivale road. There is a structure going up behind the Starbucks / Marks Work Warehouse and I did not see any sign yet.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario > Ottawa-Gatineau > Suburbs