HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario > Hamilton > General Discussion

Old Posted Dec 20, 2008, 2:07 AM
Hammer'd

Unfortunately there was no cocooning for me today. Had to walk to Queenston and Nash from Parkdale/Melvin because I had to cash a cheque at my bank to buy bus tickets. The walk was absolute hell. Did it around 1 or 2pm when the storm was basically at it's height. Couldn't look ahead of myself because the snow kept blowing into my eyes. Had to walk on the road because the sidewalks were roughly 4 foot drifts. Almost got nailed by an oncoming snow plow since I couldn't see ahead of myself as well. A bayfront bus was stuck across the intersection at Nash/Queenston. A snow plow also got stuck in the Sobey's parking lot as I was looking at the bus. Something about seeing a city bus and a snow plow stuck in the snow really makes you worried.

I don't know what was with this storm. I remember we had one that produced about the same accumulation last year, and I only remember seeing one or two stuck buses.
"Above all, Hamilton must learn to think like a city, not a suburban hybrid where residents drive everywhere. What makes Hamilton interesting is the fact it's a city. The sprawl that surrounds it, which can be found all over North America, is running out of time."

Last edited by matt602; Dec 20, 2008 at 5:33 AM.

Old Posted Dec 20, 2008, 3:26 AM
Raising the Hammer

Snow days are great, especially when you still have to go into work.

Entering Jackson Square at the York Blvd entrance by the library: the wind is roaring so hard that it snatches away my breath.

Farmers' Market is still warm and colourful.

Leaving Jackson Square at King and James, the snow blats mercilessly against the doors.

It seems like there are more buses than cars groaning down the major streets.

Having foolishly gone to work in loafers, I decide to take the bus home. The Locke Bus is jam-packed with riders, and I'm looking for the Aberdeen. "Good luck with that," says the feisty, good-humoured driver, and I decide to take my chances on the Locke.

It takes 20 minutes just to get from King and James to Hunter and MacNab, but we're in capable hands. As riders disembark, they hollar thanks to the driver and Christmas wishes to the other riders.

(Aside: I should probably cross-post this to the HSR Rider Appreciation Program thread.)

Locke Street is practically deserted, which is good because I can't find the sidewalks, let alone walk on them.

Residents try to clear a walking path along Herkimer west of Locke.

The residential streets sloping southward up from Aberdeen toward the Escarpment are buried, curbside cars wedged under a foot of snow.

All in all, an exhilarating trip!

Old Posted Dec 20, 2008, 3:28 AM
Needs more coffee...

I spent the day in St. Catharines and Vineland.. I was inside most of the day, but all my outside time involved clearing sidewalks (that the snow blew right over again) or digging/pushing vehicles out of snowdrifts Hamilton would have been a little nicer, I bet - I would have stayed inside with some tea and walked over to the Farmer's Market for the afternoon.

Old Posted Dec 20, 2008, 3:54 AM

Had to go to work this morning, no problems going down Beckett's Drive and then the 403. Was a little worried about heading home as we had heard that the 403 was closed between QEW and Highway 6. But as I headed home at 4pm the 403 was open, only the ramp at 6 was closed off by a lone OPP cruiser--very little traffic and the snow had subsided. Trip back to the west mountain didn't take too long (maybe 25 minutes from QEW/403/407 interchange), but just trying to navigate the streets in our subdivision was chaotic at best--not sure how the plow is going to get through tonight with all the abandoned cars littering the streets.

Old Posted Dec 20, 2008, 6:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MsMe View Post
Just watching news now on tv. Yup it was nuts out there today.

Not sure you have seen this yet. But this was my first winter driving.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m-gRb_MuUgg
Although that was my very first winter 'I was born in May' I hear the stories all the time from my mom when there is a major storm like the one we had today, she tells me she kept going downstairs to the lobby in Wellington Place where we lived at that time to help stranded motorists,truckers,cabbies and buse drivers, she kept going downstairs with me in her arms bringing them coffee and blankets e.t.c...my dad was working the night shift at the a meat packing company near Grays Rd. and my mom was worried how he was going to get home... all he said on the phone was dont worry!!!lol turns out he grabed a ride with a guy on a skidoo on Barton street near Ivor Wynne stadium after his bus got stuck he walked from Grays all the way down until a skidoo spoted him! and drove him to our apartment...my mom says she will never forget it!

Old Posted Dec 20, 2008, 6:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ryan_mcgreal View Post

Entering Jackson Square at the York Blvd entrance by the library: the wind is roaring so hard that it snatches away my breath.

Farmers' Market is still warm and colourful.

Leaving Jackson Square at King and James, the snow blats mercilessly against the doors.

It seems like there are more buses than cars groaning down the major streets.

Having foolishly gone to work in loafers, I decide to take the bus home. The Locke Bus is jam-packed with riders, and I'm looking for the Aberdeen. "Good luck with that," says the feisty, good-humoured driver, and I decide to take my chances on the Locke.

It takes 20 minutes just to get from King and James to Hunter and MacNab, but we're in capable hands. As riders disembark, they hollar thanks to the driver and Christmas wishes to the other riders.

(Aside: I should probably cross-post this to the HSR Rider Appreciation Program thread.)

Locke Street is practically deserted, which is good because I can't find the sidewalks, let alone walk on them.

The residential streets sloping southward up from Aberdeen toward the Escarpment are buried, curbside cars wedged under a foot of snow.

I know what you mean about Locke street being deserted! I live around the corner by Hunter/Poulette area and all I heard was some sirens and heavy winds blowing, I looked down Hunter onto Locke and seen no traffic at all! it was a crazy day! although I was on vacation I did venture out at 8:30 to go to the bank downtown and I knew that we were in for a major storm! by 11:00am it was pretty bad!

Old Posted Dec 20, 2008, 6:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by matt602 View Post
Unfortunately there was no cocooning for me today. Had to walk to Queenston and Nash from Parkdale/Melvin because I had to cash a cheque at my bank to buy bus tickets. The walk was absolute hell. Did it around 1 or 2pm when the storm was basically at it's height. Couldn't look ahead of myself because the snow kept blowing into my eyes. Had to walk on the road because the sidewalks were roughly 4 foot drifts. Almost got nailed by an oncoming snow plow since I couldn't see ahead of myself as well. A bayfront bus was stuck across the intersection at Nash/Queenston. A snow plow also got stuck in the Sobey's parking lot as I was looking at the bus. Something about seeing a city bus and a snow plow stuck in the snow really makes you worried.

I don't know what was with this storm. I remember we had one that produced about the same accumulation last year, and I only remember seeing one or two stuck buses.
What really made this storm bad was the high winds! which means alot of drifting snow, as a driver I know it can be very unpredictable in certain areas as too how much snow has accumulated! you can be driving in 15cms and turn a corner and run into a 2-3ft snow drift, its very hard to tell its like camoflauge..so that is most likely why you were seeing buses and snow plows stuck, they got stuck in big drifts that are hard to see when driving sometimes...especially when your visibilty is reduced do to all the blowing snow.

Old Posted Dec 20, 2008, 6:27 AM

Some people mentioned there dogs, I dont know what it is but my Doberman will want to come inside on a nice sunny day after 1 hour of running around! but when there is a major snow storm like today she wants to stay outside and run around and play for hours! they are just like children in alot of ways.

Old Posted Dec 20, 2008, 6:47 AM
Closed account

I put the pup out about an hour ago and she hesitated about going out there. She ventured out a bit when I went out with her. But she wouldn't go off of the deck.

Old Posted Dec 20, 2008, 8:14 AM
Is now in Hamilton, eh

Quote:
Originally Posted by highwater View Post
That dog's got a bit of dalmation in him, no wonder he's nuts

Old Posted Dec 20, 2008, 8:17 AM
Is now in Hamilton, eh

Quote:
Originally Posted by ryan_mcgreal View Post

I've not seen snow like this since we lived in Germany --- blimey!

Old Posted Dec 20, 2008, 2:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by highwater View Post
Great one.

He has the same face as my old dog Sterling, he was a Dalmation & Border Collie mix who made it to 16. He used to bound through the deep snow in Muskoka exactly the same way.

Old Posted Dec 20, 2008, 2:20 PM

If I had the energy, what a wicked snow fort that could be built!

Old Posted Dec 20, 2008, 3:28 PM
It's Hammer Time

Well here comes another 15cm of snow. Urgh!

Old Posted Dec 20, 2008, 3:55 PM
Closed account

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteelTown View Post
Well here comes another 15cm of snow. Urgh!
I wished I was a bear and could hibernate winters. I am still trying to dig my walkway out from yesterday.

Old Posted Dec 20, 2008, 4:01 PM
Closed account

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteelTown View Post
Whoa! I gotta show my dad this clip. Often time my dad talks about this winter storm and how bad it was.
That will bring back memories for him.

And I'm sure people's grandparents or older parents for some on the board were around for the 1944 blizzard which was just as bad. Let's hope we don't have anymore like these.

Last edited by MsMe; Dec 20, 2008 at 4:23 PM.

Old Posted Dec 20, 2008, 4:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MsMe View Post
That will bring back memories for him.

And I'm sure people's grandparents or older parents for some on the board were around for the 1944 blizzard which was just as bad. Let's hope we don't have anymore like these.
History is known to repeat itself, if that is true we could see another major storm 'disaster' like we had in 1944,1977, 2010 maybe? we will have to wait and see? I think we learn a a lesson from events like this and thats to always be prepared for the worst! you never know what mother nature has in store?

Old Posted Dec 20, 2008, 5:00 PM
Closed account

Quote:
Originally Posted by IronWarrior View Post
History is known to repeat itself, if that is true we could see another major storm 'disaster' like we had in 1944,1977, 2010 maybe? we will have to wait and see? I think we learn a a lesson from events like this and thats to always be prepared for the worst! you never know what mother nature has in store?
Bite your tongue.
If we do I will be looking for something like this to take me away.

Old Posted Dec 20, 2008, 8:41 PM
Hammer'd

I have to travel to Toronto on Christmas Eve. I will be taking the HSR, GO and the TTC. There is supposed to be a snow storm tomorrow, and then another one on that day.

I am totally leaving at 6am. Maybe I'll get there for 4pm.

Or maybe I'll just rent out the character above from MsMe?
"Above all, Hamilton must learn to think like a city, not a suburban hybrid where residents drive everywhere. What makes Hamilton interesting is the fact it's a city. The sprawl that surrounds it, which can be found all over North America, is running out of time."

Old Posted Dec 20, 2008, 9:28 PM
Closed account

Quote:
Originally Posted by matt602 View Post
I have to travel to Toronto on Christmas Eve. I will be taking the HSR, GO and the TTC. There is supposed to be a snow storm tomorrow, and then another one on that day.

I am totally leaving at 6am. Maybe I'll get there for 4pm.

Or maybe I'll just rent out the character above from MsMe?
Good luck on that travel Matt. Sure hop on we can probably do better on that.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario > Hamilton > General Discussion