HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario > Hamilton > Downtown & City of Hamilton

Old Posted Nov 11, 2017, 12:51 AM
It's Hammer Time

New Stelco chief sees HQ potential in Hamilton

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/hamilt...baum-1.4398009

The chief executive at Stelco sees the Hamilton-based steel company as the centrepiece in what could become a large empire of companies.

And Stelco CEO Alan Kestenbaum said he sees Hamilton as the place to headquarter that empire.

"We see tremendous future to building on this company by buying more companies," Kestenbaum said.

The first time the Florida-based Kestenbaum visited Hamilton when his Bedrock Industries fund was kicking the steelmaker's tires, he at first saw only steel mills.

But as he spent more and more time in the city, he began to see more — "really nice restaurants" and "young, urban professionals," many of whom, he realized, currently commute to Toronto for jobs.

He sees a talent pool that could be tapped into, he said.

"We've been reaching out to the community trying to hire people, successfully so," Kestenbaum said. "We're in a perfect place to build a headquarters and each time we do go and add pieces to Stelco, we're building a management team right now that's going to be capable of managing those other assets from Hamilton."

Old Posted Nov 11, 2017, 3:24 AM
Hamilton Historian

good, they can all go populate the tower in jackson square.

Old Posted Nov 11, 2017, 6:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chronamut View Post
good, they can all go populate the tower in jackson square.
Here, here!

And if they lease enough floors, perhaps the building owner might even brand the tower after the company!

Old Posted Nov 11, 2017, 11:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fuller View Post
Here, here!

And if they lease enough floors, perhaps the building owner might even brand the tower after the company!

ya ... Stelco Tower has a nice ring to it lol

Old Posted Feb 12, 2018, 7:50 PM
Bruatalism gets no respec

Hamilton buildings don't have real names anymore. I still call it Century21 back when there was actual businesses in hamont. Maybe call your tallest building Hamilton Housing Project 21. its pretty sad.

Old Posted Feb 14, 2018, 1:23 AM

I love how many of the Durand apartment towers from the 60s and 70s have wild tropical names. Lido, FountainBleu, The Sholomon, The Canadiana, Blink Bonnie, El Duque, The Monterey, Granite Manor... Some of them have their original signage up which is fun.

Old Posted Feb 14, 2018, 5:50 AM
Forever forward.

Quote:
Originally Posted by davidcappi View Post
I love how many of the Durand apartment towers from the 60s and 70s have wild tropical names. Lido, FountainBleu, The Sholomon, The Canadiana, Blink Bonnie, El Duque, The Monterey, Granite Manor... Some of them have their original signage up which is fun.
I live in the Monterey (which is a complex with El Duque and Bayview). They all had these beautiful retro signs for the longest time, until new management thought it was time for new signs. They had them in the lobbies of the building for about a year and had them refinished. Then one day they threw them out and replaced them with a clock. Very unfortunate.

Old Posted Feb 15, 2018, 1:08 PM

Saw yesterday there was environmental drilling going on at the Corktown Plaza, right in front of the empty storefront by the pizza place.

Old Posted Feb 15, 2018, 1:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by drpgq View Post
Saw yesterday there was environmental drilling going on at the Corktown Plaza, right in front of the empty storefront by the pizza place.

Hopefully they are moving quicker than expected on their redevelopment plans.
I read correspondence from their planner to city hall at a recent council meeting objecting to new zoning bylaw being implemented by the city in that area that would drastically reduce the allowable height of new developments. Apparently this is happening all around the city as there were dozens of letters from planners and builders opposing the city's plans on that particular agenda.
Maybe they are trying to get a jump on things before the new bylaw is in place?

Every other city on earth builds LRT and adjusts urban development policy to encourage more development and more dense development.
Hamilton, one of the most sprawled-out, single family home cities you'll ever see, continues to re-write plans making developments less dense. Typical.

Old Posted Feb 15, 2018, 5:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LRTfan View Post
I read correspondence from their planner to city hall at a recent council meeting objecting to new zoning bylaw being implemented by the city
Many of these letters are property owners protecting their interests in the event of OMB/LPAT appeals. The new commercial zoning is an example of this, many of the letter writers will seek status at the OMB hearings, without being the lead party themselves.

Old Posted Sep 22, 2018, 1:02 PM

Crown Plaza

If what I heard is true, the Crown Plaza is going to cease operations as a hotel and convert to a condominium.. Has anyone else heard this?

Old Posted Sep 22, 2018, 2:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by woreg75 View Post
If what I heard is true, the Crown Plaza is going to cease operations as a hotel and convert to a condominium.. Has anyone else heard this?
That would be an expensive conversion - would be easier to go to adult lifestlye building (ex. Amica).

Old Posted Sep 22, 2018, 2:38 PM

Thier web site no longer has a booking engine on it and booking.com shows it a closed.

Old Posted Sep 22, 2018, 10:28 PM

I know they ditched the Crown Plaza branding and were the Hamilton Plaza Hotel and Conference Centre for a while, but I guess it's shut down. I know several floors at one point were leased for Columbia students.

https://hamiltonplaza.ca/

Old Posted Sep 23, 2018, 12:18 AM

^Who ditched who, exactly?

Old Posted Sep 28, 2018, 6:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by davidcappi View Post
I know they ditched the Crown Plaza branding and were the Hamilton Plaza Hotel and Conference Centre for a while, but I guess it's shut down. I know several floors at one point were leased for Columbia students.

https://hamiltonplaza.ca/
It's still being used for this purpose.

Old Posted Oct 31, 2018, 1:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by woreg75 View Post
This wouldn't surprise me. For years, the Crowne Plaza was being used to house International Students.

With the increase in Condos and Apartments being built in the last 5-6 years, Crowne Plaza is losing a large amount of these International students to these condos/apartments. Not many people actually stay there as hotel guests these days.

If they were to switch from hotel to condo, they would have to apply for permits and do several other items to legally change the use of their building. This isn't a simple or short process and is also fairly expensive.

I don't know if they're actually in the process of officially changing from hotel to condo. To be honest, they've been acting unofficially as an apartment for years already.

Old Posted Nov 20, 2018, 10:19 PM

The Connolly will move forward as a residential project of sorts. I don't have details on height or design. I am hearing it's an out of town developer and not a large one. Only a rumor at this point.

Last edited by hamilton23; Nov 21, 2018 at 1:10 AM.

Old Posted Nov 20, 2018, 11:39 PM

Menkes would be a welcome player in this market, or a Daniels . Someone with a track record and deeper pockets.

Old Posted Nov 21, 2018, 1:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by King&James View Post
Menkes would be a welcome player in this market, or a Daniels . Someone with a track record and deeper pockets.
It's neither.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario > Hamilton > Downtown & City of Hamilton