HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > General Development

View Poll Results: Which transbay tower design scheme do you like best?
#1 Richard Rogers 40 8.05%
#2 Cesar Pelli 99 19.92%
#3 SOM 358 72.03%
Voters: 497. You may not vote on this poll

Old Posted Jul 30, 2007, 7:10 PM
Only Mostly Dead

Damn, SFView. I can't stop looking at your illustration. That skyline would look amazing.

Tiburon Miami 1 Miami 2 Ye Olde San Francisco SF: Canyons, waterfront... SF: South FiDi SF: South Park

Old Posted Jul 30, 2007, 7:28 PM
California goth

Quote:
Originally Posted by tyler82 View Post
They have quite a lot of catching up to do, skyscraper wise.
It's funny though since I'm pretty sure LA proper has more towers than SF. But if you wanna talk urbanity-wise, then LA has tons of catching up to do before it gets to SF's level.

Old Posted Jul 30, 2007, 7:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by peanut gallery View Post
Damn, SFView. I can't stop looking at your illustration. That skyline would look amazing.
^^^Thanks! That skyline rendering is only conceptual, and is already more than a half year old. It shows generic boxes and other assumptions that may have, and will be subject to change. The real future skyline that is still unknown, should actually look MUCH better! There should be some even more fantastic renderings and models of Transbay revealed on August 6, 2007.

Old Posted Jul 30, 2007, 8:27 PM
California goth

Quote:
Originally Posted by peanut gallery View Post
Same here. I love skylines that apex while iconic towers like the Transamerica pyramid aren't dwarved by taller towers. Transbay would create that apex and some of those projects in mission bay and soma would balance out the skyline's southern side. I just hope Transbay towers will have a somewhat bold design..

Old Posted Jul 30, 2007, 9:28 PM

The contestants likely to produce the boldest designs (Foster, Calatrava), were eliminated (after not showing up in person at a meeting), or bowed out. That has left Pelli, S.O.M. and Rogers. Let's hope for the best.

Old Posted Jul 30, 2007, 11:23 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by SFView View Post
^^^I think that the City, as well as some of us on SSP, are well aware of these potential issues.
Then it makes less sense than ever to ignore them while salivating over a design which none of us have seen and really know nothing about yet.

I suspect in the end you are going to be very disappointed.

Old Posted Jul 30, 2007, 11:46 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by BTinSF View Post
Then it makes less sense than ever to ignore them while salivating over a design which none of us have seen and really know nothing about yet.

I suspect in the end you are going to be very disappointed.
As Cartman would say, "stop being a Negative Nancy"

Old Posted Jul 30, 2007, 11:53 PM
BANNED

I find things go better if you plan for the downside and try to anticipate the problems along the way. In this case, those who badly want these towers built should be prepared to do what some of us (but, no, not me I admit) did this week and go to whatever meetings are held on the subject and speak our piece in favor of them. Wouldn't hurt to write letters to those with influence, certainly including Supervisors (especially whomever represents Twin Peaks--and who might that be exactly?), although it probably makes sense to wait until the designs are known.

But I also admit I'll be very surprised if San Francisco allows 1400 ft towers. I can tell you for almost certain that the Fire Dept. will not be thrilled (but I don't know if they'll speak up). I'll be personally happy with something over 1000 ft. I'll be ecstatic if it tops the US Bank building (or whatever that LA "tallest" is) . Something essentially twice as tall as everything around it may be a little bit out of place. And what I'm really holding my breath for is not so much the TransBay tower itself but the Piano design--it sounds like that could be really innovative and it could actually make or break the appearance of its neighbor.

Last edited by BTinSF; Jul 31, 2007 at 12:01 AM.

Old Posted Jul 31, 2007, 12:48 AM
BANNED

Quote:
I find things go better if you plan for the downside and try to anticipate the problems along the way. In this case, those who badly want these towers built should be prepared to do what some of us (but, no, not me I admit) did this week and go to whatever meetings are held on the subject and speak our piece in favor of them. Wouldn't hurt to write letters to those with influence, certainly including Supervisors (especially whomever represents Twin Peaks--and who might that be exactly?), although it probably makes sense to wait until the designs are known.

But I also admit I'll be very surprised if San Francisco allows 1400 ft towers. I can tell you for almost certain that the Fire Dept. will not be thrilled (but I don't know if they'll speak up). I'll be personally happy with something over 1000 ft. I'll be ecstatic if it tops the US Bank building (or whatever that LA "tallest" is) . Something essentially twice as tall as everything around it may be a little bit out of place. And what I'm really holding my breath for is not so much the TransBay tower itself but the Piano design--it sounds like that could be really innovative and it could actually make or break the appearance of its neighbor.
Lead by example. Go to the meetings, be a part of the discussion. Otherwise, you look pretty foolish lecturing us all on your version of reality.

Old Posted Jul 31, 2007, 1:08 AM

I fully expect these towers to face some serious opposition from many quarters in this town, but I don't think people with views on Twin Peaks will be one of them. No matter how tall Transbay is, it won't block the Bay Bridge (or anything else of consequence) from Twin Peaks. Just look at a map and draw a straight line from the Bridge through 1st and Mission and see where it comes out the other side -- closer to Alamo Square than Twin Peaks. Transbay at 1400 feet has much less of a view impact than the Rincon Hill highrises at half the height.

Hopefully the design will be nice and the community benefits being squeezed out of it will be enough to get it approved.

Stepping Razor

Old Posted Jul 31, 2007, 1:34 AM

Quote:

the fire department has recently created new local rules to address very tall buildings - they will not oppose a 1400 foot tall tower in principle. they may oppose certain aspects of the design or require certain additional precautions.

i konw everybody is very excited about this... but just wait a few days. you will not be disappointed by the competition submittals - or at least not by all of them. there is a lot of political support for this project and of all the very tall buildings being discussed and proposed in the city, this one has the greatest chance of success.

postulating that the (mostly unkown) design for the solit site will make or break the appearance of the (completely unkown to most here on the forum) design of the transbay tower is a little silly if ya ask me. which, of course, you didn't.

Old Posted Jul 31, 2007, 2:51 AM

Quote:
Go to the meetings, be a part of the discussion. Otherwise, you look pretty foolish lecturing us all on your version of reality.
I suspect online forums like this one have a wider audience than Planning Department workshops. But thanks, Tyler, for reminding us to do our civic duty.

Last edited by nequidnimis; Jul 31, 2007 at 3:00 AM.

Old Posted Jul 31, 2007, 3:05 AM
I'm going slightly mad.

All debate points aside, this project has the potential to completely remake the skyline of San Francisco and define it for several decades. This has to be one of the most exciting proposals out there and I can't wait for a few renders.

Old Posted Jul 31, 2007, 3:40 AM

Quote:
...you are going to be very disappointed...
Quote:
Originally Posted by mthd View Post
... you will not be disappointed...
Right...

Wait until the 6th of August.

Old Posted Jul 31, 2007, 6:14 AM
BANNED

Quote:
Lead by example. Go to the meetings, be a part of the discussion. Otherwise, you look pretty foolish lecturing us all on your version of reality.
I'm not a meeting goer (I've spent too many hours sitting through endless city government meetings waiting for the few minutes of discussion I cared about to come up, thanks), I'm a letter writer--which is why I asked which supervisor represents Twin Peaks. My Supe--Daly--may be a lost cause. You do it your way, I'll do it mine.

Old Posted Jul 31, 2007, 6:27 AM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by mthd View Post
the fire department has recently created new local rules to address very tall buildings . . . . postulating that the (mostly unkown) design for the solit site will make or break the appearance of the (completely unkown to most here on the forum) design of the transbay tower is a little silly if ya ask me. which, of course, you didn't.
I was talking about how members of the FD are likely to feel, not their public stance--as I said they are unlikely to make public. And I absolutely think a group of tall and attractive buildings of different heights near 1st & Mission will be much preferable to a single building sticking way above the rest--which makes the Piano complex very important--and you're right: I didn't ask for obnoxious hostility. You're wecome to tell me I'm wrong and why but telling me I'm "silly" is just boorish.

Last edited by BTinSF; Jul 31, 2007 at 6:35 AM.

Old Posted Jul 31, 2007, 11:05 PM
Green Berniecrat

Less than a week left for the big day. As some of the others said, they should be build as tall as they can. I for one am expecting the best, but I'm also prepared for the the worst.

Old Posted Aug 1, 2007, 12:37 AM
Pizza Pizza

alittle off topic but anybody here working for an architechural firm here in sf? im lookin for an internship. now back on topic cant wait for those proposals so close i can almost taste it.

Old Posted Aug 1, 2007, 4:11 AM
Surrounded by Nature

Quote:
I'm not a meeting goer (I've spent too many hours sitting through endless city government meetings waiting for the few minutes of discussion I cared about to come up, thanks), I'm a letter writer--which is why I asked which supervisor represents Twin Peaks. My Supe--Daly--may be a lost cause. You do it your way, I'll do it mine.
Letter writing is a good thing, though very much under utilized and appreciated these days. Market Street is the dividing line on Twin Peaks for the supervisor's districts. Above is District Seven and below is District Six; those living on opposite sides of the street are in different districts. It also divides the Congressional districts between Tom Lantos above and Nancy Pelosi below.

Old Posted Aug 3, 2007, 4:21 PM

I'm so excited! I can't wait until Monday.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > General Development