HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Vancouver > Downtown & City of Vancouver

The Exchange in the SkyscraperPage Database

Building Data Page   • Comparison Diagram   • Vancouver Skyscraper Diagram

Map Location

Old Posted Sep 25, 2011, 3:53 PM

The Exchange | 115.7m | 31fl, 13fl | 400,000sqft. | Completed

Credit Suisse is proposing a 30-storey, 400,000 sq. ft. LEED Platinum office tower on the site of the old stock exchange at 801 West Pender.

View renderings and see more info on the Iredale Group Architecture website.

Last edited by Mike K.; Sep 28, 2011 at 8:59 PM.

Old Posted Sep 25, 2011, 5:39 PM

Nice find. What's even more interesting is the "proponent" - Credit Suisse!

Old Posted Sep 25, 2011, 5:52 PM

I think that building would be good to have; hope the project goes through. The angles are reminiscent of Bentall 6, it's tall without being controversially tall, seems to fit into downtown well, has nice crisp lines, and, as STINGRAY said ... great to have Credit Suisse as the anchor tenant.

This would give downtown a more "corporate aspect for sure

Old Posted Sep 25, 2011, 6:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by trofirhen View Post
I think that building would be good to have; hope the project goes through. The angles are reminiscent of Bentall 6, it's tall without being controversially tall, seems to fit into downtown well, has nice crisp lines, and, as STINGRAY said ... great to have Credit Suisse as the anchor tenant.

This would give downtown a more "corporate aspect for sure
I didn't interpret these reports as saying Credit Suisse will be the anchor tenant, but instead Credit Suisse has the deep-pockets financing needed to get it built.

Old Posted Sep 25, 2011, 6:42 PM

Is the old stock exchange building actually being preserved, or just its facade? There's some nice art deco detailing in the lobby.

Old Posted Sep 25, 2011, 9:10 PM
testify

^ heritage classification, so preserved.

nice find. man, what a sinister-looking building, just amazing.

Old Posted Sep 25, 2011, 9:12 PM

haha, i sure hope this gets approved despite the view cones, would be a great addition!

It will be even more fun for me since i work in the Old Stock Exchange Building!

Old Posted Sep 25, 2011, 10:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jsbertram View Post
I didn't interpret these reports as saying Credit Suisse will be the anchor tenant, but instead Credit Suisse has the deep-pockets financing needed to get it built.
Credit Suisse is not planning to be a tenant in the building. I don't think they have an office here, nor realy any reason to in the future. Mind you, Morgan Stanley just opened an office here, so who knows?

Old Posted Sep 25, 2011, 11:53 PM

Sorry -I wouldnt get excited about this one. Something seems not right; particularly the Credit Suisse bit. CS does very little in the real estate space globally. They have a small core/core plus team in Switzerland. The investment bank does almost nothing in the real estate space ( the one thing that they did was private placements and that group is a fraction of their former size) and their principal investment arm which traded under DLJ Partners has been spun out of the bank. So building an office tower in Vancouver? Not likely, and check out Swissreal Investments webpage...hardly seems the group to build a 400k spec office tower.

Old Posted Sep 25, 2011, 11:57 PM
Blazed Member - Citygater

Quote:
Originally Posted by privatejet View Post
Sorry -I wouldnt get excited about this one. Something seems not right; particularly the Credit Suisse bit. CS does very little in the real estate space globally. They have a small core/core plus team in Switzerland. The investment bank does almost nothing in the real estate space ( the one thing that they did was private placements and that group is a fraction of their former size) and their principal investment arm which traded under DLJ Partners has been spun out of the bank. So building an office tower in Vancouver? Not likely, and check out Swissreal Investments webpage...hardly seems the group to build a 400k spec office tower.
I doubt very much the Globe and Mail got the story THAT wrong. Tomorrow it will be all public and you can eat your hat

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/news/...rticle2179016/

also who ever started this thread incorrectly cut and paste the info ... or was to lazy to properly do it maybe. not sure. regardless

Credit Suisse AG and Swissreal Investments Inc. is proposing a ~31-storey, 400,000 sq. ft. LEED Platinum office tower on the site of the old stock exchange at 800 West Pender. should be the 1st line in the thread ....

"orange vested guy" - towerguy3

Old Posted Sep 26, 2011, 12:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hollywoodnorth View Post
also who ever started this thread incorrectly cut and paste the info ... or was to lazy to properly do it maybe. not sure. regardless

Credit Suisse AG and Swissreal Investments Inc. is proposing a ~31-storey, 400,000 sq. ft. LEED Platinum office tower on the site of the old stock exchange at 800 West Pender. should be the 1st line in the thread ....
Is that address right?

Anyways, with all the daily economic doom and gloom from all over the world, it's good to hear that foreign investors want to do business in a stable Vancouver, instead of just sitting on their money.

Old Posted Sep 26, 2011, 12:41 AM

Old Posted Sep 26, 2011, 12:47 AM

Iredale Group Architects lists the client as Credit Suisse AG.

Does anyone know who the registered owner of the Old Stock Exchange Tower is? I assume it's Credit Suisse or an affiliate.

Now the G & B article lists Swissreal Investments Inc. as a co-partner. These guys have been around for over 2 decades and they are relatively small players - they are NOT affiliated with Credit Suisse. Their principal is Franz Gehriger and I haven't heard that name for a long time. They are also Swiss and I suspect brought in Credit Suisse acting as a middle man.

BTW, Swissreal's office is also situate in the Old Stock Exchange Tower, which has an address of 475 Howe Street (at the corner of West Pender). I assume 800 West Pender is its Pender Street address.

Old Posted Sep 26, 2011, 2:54 AM
Blazed Member - Citygater

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeeCee View Post
I can assume it will end up with the addy 801 West Pender

"orange vested guy" - towerguy3

Old Posted Sep 26, 2011, 3:21 AM

Swissreal has owned 475 Howe Street for many years and have been planning this project for a long time. They are a Swiss family with deep pockets and have lined up CS as a partner despite earlier rumours that they would work with or sell to a Canadian institutional investor.

I can confirm that this is a real proposal, but with no tenants lined up, it is still just that, a proposal...

Old Posted Sep 26, 2011, 3:45 AM
ARTchitecture

Wow that looks bad ass. Very excited to see what the future brings for this one! Hopefully a small height increase?

Mohkínstsis — 1.6 million people at the Foothills of the Rocky Mountains, 400 high-rises, a 300-metre SE to NW climb, over 1000 kilometres of pathways, with 20% of the urban area as parkland.

Old Posted Sep 26, 2011, 6:50 AM

From the downtown thread:

I suppose that the NY Times-esque grid of rods is a result of the LEED Platinum being sought.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mhy View Post
i'm pretty sure it'll be more than 300 feet tall, seeing that the renders show 30 stories of office, and seeing that Jameson house is 380 feet tall. Decent looking tower... tho I really hope they're keeping the heritage building in its entirety instead of facadetomy. Also not a fan of the fake low-rise at the base and the wrap-around glass element on the north corner, which really clutters the otherwise simple design.

Renders from the iredale website:

Old Posted Sep 26, 2011, 7:04 AM

Reminder of what it'll be partially covering up from the south - those will be some very urban (southern facing) views from Jameson House

Quote:
Originally Posted by officedweller View Post
Pics by me today (had a meeting overlooking the back):
(bit of a fluorescent light reflection at the top of some of the shots)

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

Old Posted Sep 26, 2011, 8:02 AM

Would've expected the Vancouver Sun to have covered this online saturday but here is their contribution in today's paper.

In the race to build multimillion-dollar commercial office buildings in downtown Vancouver, the prevailing mantra appears to be a new take on an old expression.

Green is good.

The latest manifestation of a sustainable office building is being proposed by global financial giant Credit Suisse, which is jumping in with a $200-million plan to build a structure that will vie to be among the world’s greenest.

Among other things, the building at the corner of Howe and Pender — to be completed by 2015 — is targeted to achieve LEED (Leadership in Energy and Environmental Design) Platinum and ‘Living Building’ certifications with cutting-edge features such as on-site waste water treatment and reuse, energy consumption at a rate about half that of similar towers, a high-efficiency heating and cooling system, storm water retention and reuse, and solar thermal panels.

And tenants will be able to open their windows on warm summer days.

“It will be a very distinctive building,” Selwyn Dodd, partner with design group Iredale Group Architecture, said in an interview. “This won’t be your cookie-cutter Vancouver office tower.”

Credit Suisse, through one of its real estate funds, has secured the 1929 Stock Exchange building, along with an adjacent property on Pender, and is proposing to build the 30-storey, 400,000-square-foot tower incorporating the heritage stock exchange building.

The investment firm is now unveiling plans for its tower, the latest in a growing number of office projects in downtown Vancouver that are aiming for the LEED rating system, a third-party certification and internationally accepted benchmark for the design, construction and operation of high-performance green buildings. Platinum is the highest rating.

The planned tower is Credit Suisse’s first B.C. investment and would be the tallest in the company’s real estate inventory of 260 buildings.

There is an open house today at the Terminal City Club, 837 West Hastings, and the group will apply for rezoning within two weeks.

Although constructing a LEED Platinum building will increase construction costs by 10 to 15 per cent, Herbert Meier, director of real estate asset management for Credit Suisse, said building green reduces operating costs and attracts clients seeking out sustainable offices.

“It’s not the highest building. It’s not on the waterfront. But it’s the best package.

“We really believe green buildings are the most sustainable investment.”

Franz Gehriger, president of minority investor Swissreal Investments Ltd., said his group will utilize local materials from local contractors as much as possible.

“There’s a light manufacturing company in Langley that makes advanced [energy-efficient] LED lights. We’re talking with them about making the whole building LED.”

Gehriger added: “We believe this is a great way for Credit Suisse’s real estate fund to expand into Vancouver, the greenest city in Canada.”

Others are also aiming for LEED Gold or Platinum standards.

Last month, the British Columbia Investment Management Corp launched its 24-storey, 745 Thurlow St. office tower, making it the second of three other anticipated major office projects in downtown Vancouver to jump onto a construction timeline.

That project — scheduled for completion in 2015 — follows Oxford Properties’ announcement that committed its pension-fund sponsor to build 1021 West Hastings, a 25-storey tower to be built by 2014.

Another building is the 22-storey, 500,000-square-foot office tower that is part of Telus Corp.’s $750-million redevelopment of the entire city block bounded by Robson, Georgia, Seymour and Richards streets, which the company and developer Westbank Projects aim to complete in 2015.

bmorton@vancouversun.com

© Copyright (c) The Vancouver Sun

http://www.vancouversun.com/business...952/story.html

Old Posted Sep 26, 2011, 10:56 AM

^ Wow the Sun is almost as bad as the Province now. Good thing I get most of my news from more reliable sources

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Vancouver > Downtown & City of Vancouver